Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Writers Central

Post by Amanda Beth »

Ginnie you're on top of things!

Just one bit of advice about writing a series: don't plan too much. The story line of my book(s) has changed SO much since I decided it was going to be series, it's better that you make a very very very loose outline. You'll end up changing it so much it's better to ONLY include what you want to happen and let the in betweens fill themselves in as your stories progress. Something I just decided in my book now (197 pages 53,000 words in) is going to totally change the 2nd and 3rd book. You're better doing a big character map/family tree, which I did (with ages/dates etc).
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

That does help, thanks! I think I know what I'll be asking for for Christmas. :D

Usually I do just have a loose outline for my series, but this one is a little more involved, because...well, think of it as a mix between the Civil War, WWII, and some type of Survivor-man show. I usually just write with the flow, I never write things down with plot and usually just do an outline of the characters, so I thought that getting at least some of my ideas down would be good for a more complicated storyline.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

I agree with AB. A loose outline is definitely the way to go. I find that my characters often chart a far different course for themselves than I do. In the time frame it took me to write Perfect Forever - over a year - my outline changed several times. The basic structure stayed the same, but a lot of the events changed. With my new fic, Between Dusk and Dawn, I have an outline in my head... sort of. However, if RL doesn't slow down, that's exactly where it'll stay. In my head! :?
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Speaking of in my head, looks like I won't be writing anything productive regarding Giovanni for a while.

Lately everything I've come up with involves a word starting with "s" and rhymes with Tyrannosaurus Rex.
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

ringswraith wrote:Speaking of in my head, looks like I won't be writing anything productive regarding Giovanni for a while.

Lately everything I've come up with involves a word starting with "s" and rhymes with Tyrannosaurus Rex.

LOL!! :lol: Once again, you crack me up David!

Incidentally, someone on A Different Forest was asking for any known male fanfiction writers and I directed them to your profile. Do you have anything new in the works these days??

I also just wanted to say "thank you"- both to you, and all the other regulars here on Writers Central who gave me such wonderful feedback and support when I was just getting started! You guys (& gals) rock!! ;)
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Well I always have something going on in my head. Not just TW stuff at that. Guess I'll wait to hear from someone then? :)
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

Guess who is doing another rewrite!?

Well, it's not an overhaul like the last one, but I had another light bulb moment and am editing the story line to fit such.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Those moments are such a pain, but honestly, they seem also to be the points of pure brilliance. Keep us posted!
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

I think the light bulb moments are way better than the totally blank writer's block moments though... eesh! :lol:
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

Ginnie you just made me feel 10000x better. That is a VERY good way of looking at it!