Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Post by VirginiaMay »

Just jumping back in here really quick.

AB, while I agree with you for the most part on your evaluation of fanfiction in general, I have to say that UofEM and Sebastien Robichaud are an exception.

SR's intellect astounds and humbles me. He is capable of great, great things and that is why I think that this particular story has potential whereas others do not. I do not mean to start an argument or debate. It's just my opinion of the quality of SR's writing and the supreme command he has of his own personal style and resources.

I do want to point out that when I said it would be a reincarnation of the fanfic story, I meant that in the fullest sense of the word. You could not just get away with changing the names by any means. But if SR were to review his work and more fully develop those characters outside of Edward, Bella and the gang, I believe anything is possible. The story of redemption and self-discovery he's crafted, along with the beautiful way he's woven together younger characters in a modern world with classical/romantic literature and art is exciting to me.

You may be right, he might not fit in with the Dan Browns and Jodi Piccoults, but he certainly would find a nitch somewhere.
Anyway, it's just an opinion...
SweetImpakt
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by SweetImpakt »

Ginnie, I absolutely agree with you on this point. SR is probably one of the most exceptionally talented authors out there. The fanfic story 'Just Wait' by InstantKarmaGirl is gonna get published as well btw. She just finished and she's going to take it down on October 1st

But, even though I think SR could definitely get published, I really don't see him just pulling the story without any warning before it's properly finished... don't you think ?

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

I do believe it would have a nitch--with the Danielle Steel type romance novels. It definitely IS a great story, but Professward is a bit unbelievable as a character and sometimes his dialogue is corny. The plot can be a little over the top--Jake trying to rape Bella then Tanya and the baby then Angela being crazy...it's a lot of soap opera storylines. Minus a few exceptions, you don't find a lot of hardcover bestsellers that revolve around only romance nowadays (and before anyone says Twilight, I'm talking non-YA because UoEM is NOT YA). Nicholas Sparks immediately comes to mind, but he started writing a decade ago when those romance type novels were more popular and now he has a following. Personally, I hate books like Walk to Remember and GASP The Notebook lol. SR would also need to seriously edit it because a LOT of that content isn't suitable for the shelves of Barnes and Noble. Even the way Edward talks to/about Bella is a little TOO sexualized even if it was from the heart (like honoring her body or whatever). I don't even really like smut, but I think the story would be missing a lot if that got taken out.

And SR isn't pulling it since he posted the 1st epilogue this weekend... and while I'm posting this...

MoBS OUTTAKE!!!! I love surprises!!
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Amanda Beth wrote: Nicholas Sparks... Personally, I hate books like Walk to Remember and GASP The Notebook lol.

LOL!! I've never been able to finish one of his books, but I loved the movies... I am such a girl! One other thing, you mentioned Jodi Piccoult in a previous post about SR's publishability (like my made up word?), and personally I can't stand most of her writing. Maybe her early book are better, but the newest stuff is just so, eh... *shrugs* I guess we all have our own tastes.

ANYWAY... the real reason I popped back in is to start up a new conversation relating to the fanfiction in general & how it relates to publishing. ( The thread is kind of quiet, you may have noticed. )

I was in the bookstore this week and took note of the following titles:

• "Pride & Prejudice and Zombies", by Jane Austin & Seth Grahame-Smith
    "Sense & Sensibility and Sea Monsters", by Jane Austin & Ben H. Winters
    "Emma & the Vampires", by Jane Austen & Wayne Josephson
    "Mansfield Park & Mummies" by Jane Austen & Vera Nazarian
    "Wuthering Bites", by Sarah Gray
    "Jane Slayre", by Charlotte Bronte & Sherri Browning Erwin
    "Android Karanina", Leo Tolstoy & Ben H. Winters
    "Tom Sawyer & the Undead" Mark Twain & Don Borchert

Now... I have just started P&P & Zombies, and it's silly fun... but I can't really speak on the rest of these titles. However, it does seem to me that in many, many ways these books are glorified fanfiction. So... What, if any, difference is there between the above mentioned stories and some of the better written fanfiction works out there?

I would love your opinions!! :D
miss_annabella
Wandering Through Town

Post by miss_annabella »

It has been mighty quiet on here. I think we are all suffering from withdrawls with a few fics ending like EP and UofEM.

~VirginaMay
I have read "Pride & Prejudice and Zombies", by Jane Austin & Seth Grahame-Smith. I thought it was hilarious. I agree that they are like fanfic too. i don't see the separation, your building on established characters and twisting the plot.

And speaking of fanfic wise here is what i have been crushing on:
The Weight of Words
Night Must Fall
Hydralic Level 5
and your own (Love it!!)
What Drivers Her
I am always accepting any recs - The recs forum has been kind of dead as well.

Some of the fics I was reading have dropped off. I guess that is the faith you put into starting a WIP, you never know if they will finish.

BTW Jillian if you are on here, thank you for updating Bite to Break the Skin.
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

Stories I'm excited about right now, let's see... Like MissAB said, I am hugely reluctant to get to excited about anything these days because so many go AWOL right in the middle. (Hey, life happens. I'm not judging, but I do hate to be left hanging. Point in case, Vampire in the Basement! I ADORED that story and it was just getting good and then... AWOL. It's been ages and ages since it updated. :cry: )
So, that said, here are a few that I hope will get finished so I can heartily recommend!

In the Vamp category~
"Suspicions: The Tale of the Maybe Vampire" by IrishLoveForever
"Bittersweet Irony" by SweetVenom69
"Fox Fire" by Woodlily

In the All Human division~
Of course, the fabulous "Woods Are Lovely, Dark and Deep" by bananapancakes7
"Let's Get Physical"by Lalina
"Last Tango in Forks" by AwesomeSauce76 (I know, I know... but I got totally sucked in. :roll: )
And "Edward Wallbanger" by feathersmmm, which is wrapping up very soon. 4 more chappies, updating biweekly.

Speaking of Wallbanger, is anyone else following that one? It updated last night and well...yikes! Anyone else feel the same way about this last chapter??
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

VirginiaMay wrote:Speaking of Wallbanger, is anyone else following that one? It updated last night and well...yikes! Anyone else feel the same way about this last chapter??
I read it, and at the end I thought "Well of course he would know." :)
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

I'm not reading anything right now. I should read EP, I was waiting for that to finish.

Isn't there supposed to be a 2nd UofEM epilogue? Or is that just me?
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

WALLBANGER DISCUSSION:
ringswraith wrote:
VirginiaMay wrote:Speaking of Wallbanger, is anyone else following that one? It updated last night and well...yikes! Anyone else feel the same way about this last chapter??
I read it, and at the end I thought "Well of course he would know." :)

ABSOLUTELY!! Of course he knew! And I was so proud of him for showing up like that!

When I read it I guessed immediately that he knew, even before the end of the chapter. I had to wonder if the reason he fled to the bathroom post-lovin' was because he was upset or confused, or whatever. I mean, David, you'll have to help us out with the mail psyche here... but if I were a dude in love with my own Pink Nightie Girl and it went down like that, I'd be seriously upset about the whole deal. At the very least my ego would take a beating. (And in Wallbanger's case, I would wager to guess his heart too. :( )

*** End Wallbanger Disscussion***

UofEm
Amanda Beth wrote:I'm not reading anything right now. I should read EP, I was waiting for that to finish.

Isn't there supposed to be a 2nd UofEM epilogue? Or is that just me?
Yes, there is at least one more Epi and the FGB2 Epi as well if you donated. He said when he finishes them they will post but gave no date, to my knowledge. I did get an email from Squally saying that the FGB piece is in the final stages and should be done soon. :)
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Hello, All! I just got around to reading EPI 1 for UofEM this morning. Yes, I know. I'm WAY behind, but RL has been seriously kicking my glutious maximus lately! HOWEVER... I do not recall ever reading Chapter 42! :shock: Can anyone tell me how to get it? It isn't posted on fanfic.net OR SR's blog site. :x I did LOVE the first Epi and I am anxiously awaiting the 2nd, but I feel like there's a missing puzzle piece without Chapter 42.

EP finished??? :o I have this one on my speed dial for favorites and based on the last chapter that KHAR posted, it isn't finished. Am I missing something? I am very much in need of an update, that's for sure.

AWOL fics~~ It is so frustrating to fall in love with a story and have it disappear in the middle! I know that RL can be a real time-gobbler, but when I'm writing a fic, it eats away at me to the point that I simply must finish it if I start it. I've considered not reading WIP, but they always seem to suck me in anyway. :?

Glorified Fanfics~~ WOW! I never knew that such books actually existed! I guess you would consider them fan fics. They are based on someone else's work. Hmmmm...

AMANDA BETH~~ How's your writing going? I have written ABSOLUTELY nothing since school started. *SIGH* We are on Fall break for the next four days. I hope to be able to sit down and do some writing, but I don't want to be one of those fan fic authors who starts posting and then keeps readers waiting for an updated for months.