Writers Central

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Re: Writers Central

Post by Amanda Beth »

Openhome wrote: So, AB, think of the freedom and write the last chapter. Write it the way you don't want it to end. Write it the way it would end on an episode of Twilight Zone. Write it with a zombie apocalypse, and THEN write it the way you want.
Yeah see that's my problem. I HAVE my ending...I have the last two chapters actually... and the first nineteen...but. I. Can't. Connect. Them.

....brb....

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Okay :)
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

:lol: :lol: @ AB!! That is soooo how I feel about my current fic, Between Dusk and Dawn! Except, mine is in the first chapter, and I can't seem to find the TIME to write. The story is in my head and BEGGING to get out, but I just literally have so much RL stuff going on that I can't sit down and get it on paper! I hope with the "blizzard" that's supposedly coming our way, I'll have a bit of time to at least get the first chapter finished so I can post the Prologue and Chapter 1 soon. But then, I worry about all of the readers who have been so faithful to read Perfect Forever getting into Between Dusk and Dawn only to get frustrated waiting on updates. As a reader, that drives me up the wall! As a writer, I completely understand!
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

Geeze I've been writing on here a lot lately. So I have been pondering...

I don't know how many of you who have read The Hunger Games trilogy -- if you haven't you need too ASAP, I love it better than Twilight *hangs head* -- but the violence in it, especially since it's children killing children, kind of took me by surprise. Then I just read The Maze Runner yesterday...and that was even more descriptively violent for a book recommended 12 and up. I'm going to include a quick scene from The Maze Runner:
Ben's head snapped violently to the left, twisting his body until he landed on his stomach, his feet pointed towards Thomas. He made no sound.

Thomas jumped to his feet and stumbled forward. The long shaft of the arrow stuck from Ben's cheek, the blood surprisingly less than Thomas had expected, but seeping out all the same. Black in the darkness, like oil. The only movement was Ben's right pinky finger, twitching.
These are obviously trends in YA books, and when I compare them to mine it's just--not like that at all. They both keep the reader going and I question if mine is too boring now! :( *insert self doubt*
missp
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

AB~~ Please don't doubt yourself! As a teacher first, the graphic violence trend troubles me greatly. I see it in the books available, and I also see it in my own students' writing. The more violent they can be, the better. I think a little violence with a little detail is plenty. You are a terrificly talented writer. Don't doubt that, Girl! :D
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

Thank you missp! That makes me feel much better lol

I did get over my writer's block a bit. Finally hit 80,000 words (81,500 now actually).
missp

Post by missp »

Yay! Good for you, AB!
3rd snow day due to the blizzard of 2011 here in North Alabama. Going to do some more writing today. Didn't get any done yesterday because I had company over for the BCS Championships Monday night - WAR EAGLE!!!! - and they spent the night due to the snow. So, we played all day yesterday.

I have backed myself into a corner with my latest story and I really am having a hard time getting out. I have killed a character that I really don't care that much for, and I am having a very hard time getting into the emotional place I need to be in order to finish writing the scene. Unlike some of you uber-talented folks, I can't write chapters ahead. My OCD won't allow me to do that. So, I muddle through one chapter at a time. I'll go try to get over the hump now. Have a good day, Writers!
VirginiaMay

Post by VirginiaMay »

I don't know, MissP I think we all have our moments where we just can't move on until we get through a certain spot. I'm stuck now myself. Big time!
missp

Post by missp »

Well... yesterday was a bust! I discovered ZUMA BLITZ on FB and accomplished absolutely nothing! :lol:
Today... I am getting unstuck! :roll:
Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

If i had to write in order I don't think I'd ever write!! My OCD comes in the form of if I have something in my head, I HAVE to write it down or else I can't write anything else. My book now was an accident. I was writing something completely different and said to myself, "self, just write this idea down and you'll be able to go back to the book you WANT to write."

300 pages later, that little pep talk seemed to work out a bit differently.
missp

Post by missp »

FINALLY!! I have written past the scene that was giving me such a mental block! Now, all I have to do is write the remainder of Chapter 1 and move on to Chapter 2. I soooo hope the rest of the book isn't going to give me such a creative headache!