Chapter 10: Why didn't I... Becasue I'm an idiot.

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Chapter 10: Why didn't I... Becasue I'm an idiot.

Post by Tornado »

1. Edward was willing to let Bella have Jacob’s child to save her life. In your opinion was this a reasonable offer?
No, and it's ridiculous that he should think that she would accept this offer. However, desperate times do result in desperate measures. Jacob was wrong to decide to do it, too. He should have refused.

2. What do you think it would have done to his relationship with Bella if she had accepted this offer? What other relationships would be affected?
I don't think she would ever have accepted it, but if she had, she couldn't have done it while married to Edward. She would have found it necessary to divorce him, I think. Another reason why she would never have done it.

3. What did you think of Bella's idea that she could be changed into a vampire right after the baby was born?
I thought it was the most likely conclusion.

4. How did you feel about Sam's change of mind and determination to kill the unborn baby?
It seemed logical given his vampire prejudices and the fear of the unknown. However, he is unjustified in attacking the Cullens on this basis. Their concern for what is happening should be enough to tell him that they will guard against the situation that he fears, and Seth is right in saying that he should at least talk to the elders first. This is the first time we see Sam acting impulsively. Maybe he's been spending too much time with Jacob.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

1. Edward was willing to let Bella have Jacob’s child to save her life. In your opinion was this a reasonable offer?
Maybe it was reasonable, but it was stupid. Off course she wouldn't want that. When you have a baby in your belly, you want to protect thát baby, you can't just replace it. Especially not replace it with someone else's baby (other father).

2. What do you think it would have done to his relationship with Bella if she had accepted this offer? What other relationships would be affected?
Every relationship would be affected. Bella already knows she's in love with Jake. She chose Edward, but she did have feelings for Jacob. I figure those feelings would only grow if he were the father of her child. Especially the relationship with Rose would be affected too, which would divide up the entire Cullen-Family.

3. What did you think of Bella's idea that she could be changed into a vampire right after the baby was born?
I think it was smart. She realized the baby would be too strong to deliver normal, so she figured out a way to survive.

4. How did you feel about Sam's change of mind and determination to kill the unborn baby?
It made me mad. Also because I didn't feel it broke the treaty in any way, they didn't have the right.
thebookworm
Wandering Through Town

Post by thebookworm »

Alphie wrote:First off, the chapter title is too long for the subject line! I had a feeling that would be a problem. And second of all, lots of thanks to love2dream for her help with the questions!

It's reasonable to me, knowing Edward as I do, the bottom line is he loves her truly, and this proves that. He just wants her to be happy and if that is the way to save her, he would bare it with out question.

This may sound silly to some, but I can't fully answer this question, even though it is hypothetical, because of the love Bella has for Edward and this child, it would never in a million years happen! So I therefore can't really contemplate an answer. Their love is so out side the box, who knows, they might just have made it through?

Bella has always had the intuition that her and Edward belong together, so that gives her a belief in all the decisions she makes. She just has the belief things are going to work out, so I trusted that intuition that has not failed her so far. However, I knew there would be some drama to it, there wouldn't be a great book without it!

Ha ha, looking at it logically, he had justification, lets face it, some of the Cullen's weren't even sold on the idea and had no clue what was in store! However, I am not logical when it comes to Bella and Edward! I thought he was a *bleep!*
adorey
Settled in Forks

Post by adorey »

Absolutely not! I couldn't believe he would go to that level! I was completely shocked and a little annoyed that he would assume that Bella just wanted a kid. Has he no idea about how much Bella loves him? I suppose desperate times would call for desperate measures, but that was taking it too far.

It would have ruined their relationship. For one thing, it would have made things so awkward in terms of intimacy. I doubt Edward would have made love to Bella again, for fear of making her pregnant and it would have been unbearable for him to drive Bella to Jacob's, just so that she could have sex with Jacob. Plus, Jacob is underage anyway, which would have made it even more wrong.
Things would have been even more awkward if Jacob did get her pregnant. As the father, Jacob would have a right to see Bella all the time and Edward would have been pushed out of the picture. I can't see him being the happy Uncle to Jacob's potential son/daughter, whilst still married to Bella. Plus, Edward is very religious and to 'save Bella's soul' he would probably have divorced her, so that she could marry Jacob as that would have been seen as the 'proper' thing to do.

Bella's relationship with her father would change as well. I don't think Charlie would have been very happy if his daughter was seen to flit between two men, married to one, and carrying the other's child.

It makes me cringe to just think about it...

I think she was being a bit naive. She was so besotted by love for her baby that she refused to believe the rational possibility that she could die before Edward had time to changer her. She's just too stubborn for her own good.

Very shocked. I couldn't believe he would go to the lengths of killing the innocent mother to kill the child - particularly as it wasn't clear if the baby was even a danger to the tribe yet.