Chapter 22: Promised

Our chapter by chapter discussion of Breaking Dawn.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
AliceluvsJasper2eva
Wandering Through Town

Re: Chapter 22: Promised

Post by AliceluvsJasper2eva »

you answers are so good...i mean mine are good but yours are better. Thank you!!!! for all your heard work on this! I am speechless by your answers
Emmett and Edward are the hottest vampires alive!!!!
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

1. The chapter is called “Promised”, why? What is the significance?
I'm not sure, I'd have to go back and read it. Just off the top of my head, I think its because Jacob promised he'd love Bella forever, and then he goes and imprints on Nessie.. blaa Idk Maybe a lot of past promises were broken in this chapter.

2. How did you feel about the family’s reaction to Bella’s first hunting trip and her actions towards Renesmee? Where they valid? Did Edward deserve the chastisement?
I thought that they should've gave Bella a break. I reckon they should've learned from the first few minutes of Bella being a vamp that she wouldn't go all bloodthirsty and crazy. And she would never hurt her own child. I know that none of the other Cullens have biological children, but common. I guess they were just freaked out, and usually go by a typical newborn, like Jaspers used to. I think they all overreacted. I don't think Eddie deserved the verbal bashing either. They seemed to all be expecting Bella to kill a human, they all acted like she would, and yet hearing that she had an encounter with humans shocked them? I just don't get it.

3. How do you feel about Jacob’s behavior with Bella’s first meeting with Renesmee? Was it justified? Or do you feel that Jacob was overreacting?
I was wondering that the hell was going on. When I first read BD it didn't even enter my head that he'd imprinted. I just thought he wanted to help Bella. I wanted him to get lost tbh. It was Bellas baby, and he was getting in the way (again).

4. Now that you have finally met her, what do you think of Renesmee? Are you surprised she is gifted? What do you think of her gift and other special abilities?
I wasn't surprised she was gifted. Eddies gifted, and I knew there was something up with Bella and he blocked brain, so I wasn't shocked. I thought her gift was pretty cool, and he speedy knowledge or w/e. And I thought she was very cute and understanding.

5. Do you think Bella was wrong in her reaction to Jacob’s news regarding his relationship with Renesmee? Did you appreciate that Jacob didn’t tell Bella what the situation was, that she had to figure it out?
Oh boy. I was hoping she'd kill him. I really wanted it to happen. Bella sees nessie for 2 seconds, and Jacob thinks shes hers. Poor bells. I don't really care that she had to figure it out. Either way she would've had the same reaction.

6. We are left knowing that Bella attacks Jacob. Is she justified in her actions or is she overreacting? If you were in Bella’s shoes, what would you have done?
If I was in Bellas shoes, I would've killed Jacob. And if I didn't manage to kill him, i'd get a restraining order on him, and move to another country.
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

We learn that the "Promised" refers to Renesmee & Jacob.

2. How did you feel about the family’s reaction to Bella’s first hunting trip and her actions towards Renesmee? Where they valid? Did Edward deserve the chastisement?

Yes, Edward deserved the chastisement. The hunting trip really could have ended badly and he did take charge of her. No one knew she would have such great control. I thought they were a little extreme in protecting Renesmee but that their reactions towards Bella's first hunting trip were justified.

3. How do you feel about Jacob’s behavior with Bella’s first meeting with Renesmee? Was it justified? Or do you feel that Jacob was overreacting?

Ugh, Jacob's behavior annoyed me, actually. He was probably justified in wanting to help protect Renesmee, but he was being far too possessive for my taste -- Bella IS her mother after all.

4. Now that you have finally met her, what do you think of Renesmee? Are you surprised she is gifted? What do you think of her gift and other special abilities?

I thought she sounded almost too perfect, but I was not surprised that she was gifted. It was hard to get a good perspective on her because we were seeing her thru the eyes of her mother.

5. Do you think Bella was wrong in her reaction to Jacob’s news regarding his relationship with Renesmee? Did you appreciate that Jacob didn’t tell Bella what the situation was, that she had to figure it out?

No, Bella wasn't wrong. She was already feeling distant from Renesmee and like everyone knew the baby better than she did. Can't blame her for being irritated that Jacob felt like he had a claim over her child. I thought Jacob kind of took the easy way out by letting Bella figure it out.

6. We are left knowing that Bella attacks Jacob. Is she justified in her actions or is she overreacting? If you were in Bella’s shoes, what would you have done?

I don't think she was justified in attacking him, but I'm not sure she had much control over that, it was her motherly instinct taking over. I probably would've had the same reaction, even as much as I like Jacob. He needed to back off her kid ;-)

Image Image Image
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

It has to do with Jacob imprinting on Renesmee. Maybe it's about Jacob's imprinting being a promise to take care of Renesmee always, and never let any harm happen to her.

Bella did very well on her first hunting trip. She was able to stop herself when she smelled humans. I think the family was very surprised by this, and also by how she responded to Renesmee. She was nothing like they had ever seen before. But I understand that they couldn't completely trust her, because the knew what it was like to be a newborn vampire.

I don't think Edward deserved the chastisement. Because he thought that they were far from people. Of course he should have been paying a bit more attention. But I think that if they were so scared that Bella would hurt someone they shouldn't have let her and Edward gone by themselves, knowing that Bella was so much stronger than Edward. Emmett should have come with them to make sure. And nothing happened....So they were overreacting a bit.

Jacob overreacted and it annoyed me. Bella was her mother and it was not up to him to decide when Bella was ready to spend time with her daughter. That decision should be up to Edward and Bella alone. So Jacob should just back off, and let Bella bond with Renesmee. And he should know Bella well enough to know that if she had even the shadow of a doubt that she could control herself, she wouldn't go anywhere near Renesmee. She would never hurt her. Bella was willing to die giving birth to her. That was how much her baby meant to her.

No, I expected her to have some sort of ability since her father does. But I had no idea what it would be.

Bella was absolutely right in her reaction. He had just imprinted on her newborn baby! Bella already felt that she had missed out on time spent with her daughter, and now she discovered that Jacob was all possessive over her. I understand that Bella would be furious.
I think Jacob should have just told her. Making me guess would only have made me even more angry.

Justified or not, I totally understand why she did it. I would probably have done the same. He imprinted on her daughter before Bella herself even knew her. He tried to stop her from having contact with her daughter. And he came up with Nessie...It was just too much for a new mother to handle.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

if i remember correctly, edward promised bella that they would go see rennesme so, ya...

they were natural, considering they all feel and care for bella. they were not important, but the thought counts. and yes, carlisel was justified.

annoying and a complete overreaction! i knew something was up!!

i thought she was cute!! no, i wasnt surprised at her ability, its kinda obvious that she would have a talent. and i think putting pictures in proples heads it awesome!

yes, and no,......actually i dont know!! thats a hard question.

lets just say jacob would be missin a limb. ;)
Betting on Alice.
ment2be134
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by ment2be134 »

Yeah i don't really remeber why it's called promised....Renesmee and Jacob or bella finely got her promise of being a vamp
. :roll:
who the hunting trip is really one of my favorite parts of the book. it's just so joyous. I think that in this particular situation bella acted fine. Although i really don't think Edward deserved to be chastised

No, I think if any one has a reason to trust Bella it would be Jacob I mean come on. It's not like Renesmee is his daughter. Imprintment or not.

She is what i expected the perfect mix of Bella and Edward with her own little personality

Nope I totally would have reacted like Bella I could see my self doing what she did. plus Jake really should have had the guts to tell her to her face instead of her having to figure it out.

I think the idea of the attack was justified but she could have hurt him although she knew Edward wouldn't let her do anything stupid.
"Sleep, my Bella. Dream happy dreams. You are the only one who has ever touched my heart. It will always be yours. Sleep, my only love."
~ Edward Cullen

"she's diabolical" ~Emmet Cullen
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

My guess would be for the fact that her and Jake always promised to be friends and how they knew they were suppose to be family for some reason and then Jacob imprinting on Renesmee

Everyone is just being very cautious with her because she has only technically been a vampire for like a few hours. Edward kind did deserve it because he didn't make sure it was clear before they hunted, he always promised he'd do everything he could to help Bella from killing people.

Eh.. He understands vampires less than everyone else did their, they are his mortal enemies, so of course he's going to be a lot more not understanding and wanting Bella to be around her.

It's a very strange gift,.. not expected at all,.. who even would have guessed that she was going to have a gift at all.

It might have been a better idea for Jacob to tell Bella beforehand, just because she was literally holding Renesmee when she found out. Of course he didn't want to but it might have been a little easier then seeing it and figuring it out with her own eyes. Any mom would probably freak in that situation.

Attacked him!!! lol She has seen her baby for like 2 minutes and then basically finds out Jacob claims her. I think Bella would have let him get away without hurting him but then the whole nickname thing set her off.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

I’d have to go back and reread, but I always felt that this referred more to Renesmee herself than to the imprinting of Jacob on her.

2. How did you feel about the family’s reaction to Bella’s first hunting trip and her actions towards Renesmee? Were they valid? Did Edward deserve the chastisement?
Their reaction to the hunting trip was understandable, and, sure, Edward is going to catch some flak, but frankly he never knew a human was in the area until the wind shifted. Their actions towards Bella and Renesmee ended up being rather insulting to Bella, but then they had no idea that Bella would be as controlled as she was.

My reaction was the same as Bella’s. Jacob sure seemed to be going out of his way to prevent Bella from making a mistake and harming her child, but it was very strange that he would be going to such great lengths. Something odd is going on.

Renesmee’s cool. I wasn’t surprised she was gifted, although her gift is going to have more value now that later in life.

I understand completely why he didn’t tell her.

Let’s see: this is Bella’s very first time to see her own daughter, the one that she was willing to give her life for and very nearly did so in reality. She just had to endure everyone freaking out over whether she would kill her own daughter or not, but every single person in that room finally relents…except for Jake. He is still standing there with his hands on her newborn daughter. Bella pulls her daughter close to her chest and Jacob steps forward, just inches away, and he still cannot keep his hands or eyes off of her newborn daughter. I am assuming that since he still has his huge hot paws on the baby, they are actually touching Bella’s chest as well. This guy has no respect for boundaries. I’m surprised Edward didn’t rip his head off at this moment, but then he is probably waiting for Bella to do it herself.

And then he doesn’t start backing up until Rosalie takes the child? What would have happened if Rosalie immediately gave the child back to Bella, would Jacob have had his hands all over the kid again?

I’m laughing as I write this, I don’t want to overstep some boundaries myself because I know there are a lot of people here absolutely devoted to Jacob. Frankly, though, I am loathing him at this point in the book, so I’ll keep the rest of my comments to myself. Okay, I’m also wondering what Jacob would do at this point with an extra set of hands, but I’ll shut up now.

Bella was under-reacting. I think she should have made up for that broken hand in Eclipse, and then some. The rest of the Cullens obviously want her to do something; Esme's faint admonishment to Edward is actually pretty funny. Everyone except the wolves are hoping she snaps.

The one thing I’ll hand to Jacob, though, is coming up with a better name for “Nessie”.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Gochiruzeru
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Gochiruzeru »

I honestly don't know.

I think that they had a good reason to be wary of Bella, so when she turned out to be different from other newborns, they had reason to be confused. Edward didn't really deserve the chastisement, though -- he didn't know that there were humans in the area.

I think that he was a bit overprotective -- Bella is Renesmee's mother, so if she did somehow hurt her, it certainly wouldn't be on purpose.

I knew she would be gifted, and I actually love Renesmee. She's really cute.

Yes, I definitely think Bella was wrong. She should have known that Jacob didn't have any romantic feelings for Renesmee, and she didn't really stop and listen to any explanations of it.

I think she was overreacting.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

With the imprinting, Renesmee is effectively promised to Jacob, or perhaps vice versa would be more correct. Also, Edward has promised Jacob to let him explain it all to Bella.

I think he did. He should have been more careful. It's good though, to see them realising how good Bella is with this. I also feel it will help Jasper, although it is painful for him, because it may help him to have more determination in his fight against his own thirst.

I think Jake was overreacting quite a bit. Yes, he's concerned because she is strong and possibly uncontrolled, but he's there with seven other mature vampires. I think they could collectively control Bella. Again, he is unwilling to accept someone else's judgement that Bella's behaviour is remarkable, even though he has no experience in this area.

I thought she seemed lovely and I wasn't surprised that she had a gift. I hadn't formed an opinion on what it was, though.

It would be a tricky thing to tell Bella. He was probably working up to it. Her reaction is not surprising, though, and comparatively mild, considering she is a newborn. It is a bit of an overreaction, though.

I think she is overreacting, but she is a newborn. I would probably have done the same.