Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Things having to do with Twilight that are related to the book: fanfic, rpg, products, websites, book clubs, etc.

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Nora
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread 2

Post by Nora »

VirginiaMay wrote:
Nora wrote:
VirginiaMay wrote:Is anyone reading Savage's "Offside"?? I can't say no to anything to with soccer personally.
I can't resist soccer eather. :) Would you please give me the link? I'd love to read it!
Here you go: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7036128/1/Offside

Quick warning though... Edward is a big, fat, All-Human jerk to start. Oh, and rated M. :blush:
Wow, you weren't kidding about Edward being a jerk. Thanks for the warning. :)
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

I started to read Savage's Unexpected Circumstances.

Summary - Isabella is a handmaid to Princess Jessica, Daughter of King Aro. When a knight from a neighboring kingdom wins his choice of bride, Sir Edward bypasses the princess and claims the handmaid instead. Isabella suddenly finds herself married to a man she does not know, and is tossed into the middle of political plots and scheming nobles. Her linexpected Circumstancesfe is further turned upside down when she is unable to give her husband the one thing he must have.

Oh My Edward..!! So good. It is a WIP, but I cannot wait to see how it is going to end.
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

openfire wrote:
VolturiGirl wrote:
openfire wrote:I have Purgatory: A Love Story & can send it to you if no one else already has?

Do you mind sending it my way too if it is not too much trouble. I need a new fanfic to read. Thanks.!
Amy - No probs :) You want to PM me your email & I will send it to you?
Hey Amy, just wanted to check if you received this ok? I think I sent it, but now I'm not too sure... LOL!!

Oh, and I started to read Offside..I'm really enjoying it so far! :)
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

VolturiGirl wrote:I started to read Savage's Unexpected Circumstances.

Summary - Isabella is a handmaid to Princess Jessica, Daughter of King Aro. When a knight from a neighboring kingdom wins his choice of bride, Sir Edward bypasses the princess and claims the handmaid instead. Isabella suddenly finds herself married to a man she does not know, and is tossed into the middle of political plots and scheming nobles. Her linexpected Circumstancesfe is further turned upside down when she is unable to give her husband the one thing he must have.

Oh My Edward..!! So good. It is a WIP, but I cannot wait to see how it is going to end.
Just a warning to those beginning this, or thinking of it... We are in the "angst" part, of the angst/romance category. FYI.

Last chapter killed me. Last two, actually!
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

VirginiaMay wrote:Last chapter killed me. Last two, actually

I know. I have been on the edge of my chair since the last updated chapter bitting my nails wondering what will happen next.

Jaclyn ~ I just finished Purgatory. I started it early this morning. I have never read a fanfic quite like that before. It was depressing and wonderful all at the same time. Thank you so much for e-mailing it to me. I am glad that it ended on a good note.
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Post by Alphie »

Can someone explain something to me? I've been trying to understand it for a while now and I just don't get it! I'm a fan of many things. I read fan fiction in many fandoms. But here's the thing... when I read Superman fan fic, Superman is always from Krypton. When I read Harry Potter fan fic, Harry is always a wizard. When I read Star Wars fan fic, Luke is always a Jedi. When I read Hunger Games fan fic, Katniss is always human fighting in the games. When I read Star Trek fan fic, Spock is always a Vulcan. Sure, there are AU type fics, but the AU comes from a change in canon plot, not from a total change in who the characters are.

It's only in Twilight fan fiction that the writers have abandoned the basis for the fandom and made all the vampires human. Or they move all the characters to other eras and make them completely different from what they are in the books. I don't get this. At all. I've read several all human fan fics and I honestly don't get it. He's not Edward if he's human, right? The only all human fic I think I could read is if it took place before they were changed into vampires. I don't get how Edward can be an English Spy and Bella is the Russian agent he's been assigned to take down... or whatever else is out there. How is that "Twilight" fan fiction when it has nothing to do with Twilight aside from the character names?

I'm not saying these fics are badly written, I'm just saying I don't understand how they can be "Twilight" fan fics. I don't get it.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Alphie~ :lol: A very interesting question indeed. I can, at least, explain why it's so easy for me to lose myself in an AH or AU fanfic. Believe you me, I am the most stringent of fans when it comes to our beloved characters. I get insensed when I see characterizations of them that push too far. But, that line that denotes "too far" can be kind of fuzzy. For instance, I have heard about/started to read an AH fic where Edward is an exotic dancer ( :o ) and that one I just could not get into because I could not picture that Edward realistically. However, the fics where Edward is a powerful businessman with relationship issues (*coughFiftycough*) I have absolutely no problem. I think, for me anyways, that limit is found in the fact that we don't know what Edward or Jasper or Esme or Rose would be if they had stayed human. The possibilities are limitless. In as long as you stay within those personality characteristics that honor our sweet kids, then it's kind of easy for me to suspend reality and say, "what if". And, quite frankly, many of those stories that I do find myself sucked into are, in fact, the ones where, but for a few details, they are stories in and of themselves. Master of the Universe, Wide Awake, Emancipation Proclamation... just to name a few. I think what it actually speaks to is the universality of SM's characters. That their personality traits, the pieces that make them who they are, are so universally attractive, that people of that nature can be placed in any situation and we find ourselves sucked into their stories.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

Alphie,
I have been thinking on how to answer you. Do you remember those choose your own adventure books? Twilight fanfic, to me, is like a choose your own adventure story. Also, Edward is suppose to appeal to us as the sexy, angry, and protective lover. So you get these fanfics that are written as Edward being the angry, sexy boss (or whatever roll the author has him in) to poor defensless Bella who changes him into a good guy. Whatever Edward is, or I should say, whatever roll you want your Edward to star in, you read. You get to pick and choose your adventure.
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

VolturiGirl wrote:Alphie,
I have been thinking on how to answer you. Do you remember those choose your own adventure books? Twilight fanfic, to me, is like a choose your own adventure story. Also, Edward is suppose to appeal to us as the sexy, angry, and protective lover. So you get these fanfics that are written as Edward being the angry, sexy boss (or whatever roll the author has him in) to poor defensless Bella who changes him into a good guy. Whatever Edward is, or I should say, whatever roll you want your Edward to star in, you read. You get to pick and choose your adventure.

Oooh, Amy, I love that analogy!!!
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I blame Angst Goddess. :lol:

Let me start off saying that I don't get into AH fics. I've read only a few, and only liked a few of the few I've read. But I think Volturi Girl has a good point. I'd like to take it a step further.

The thing that grips us about Edward and Bella's love story is what the authors want to play with. It's the "Twilight Recipe for Salvation by Love". The lost man saved by the innocent, seemingly helpless woman, is an epic tale. Bella always ends up being stronger than Edward in a way, but it is Edward's strength in the end that saves them both. That is a powerful combination for a love story. Add unrealistically tortured souls haunted by tragic events, and you have a fanfic masterpiece.

As Gisellelx, Elise Shaw and I (we canon writers like to stick together) lament, it's also insanely easier to write a human fic rather than keep to the vamp world. I know because I tried a one-shot just to see how it went. It was fun, easy, and a hoot to do. It also taught me that I could, if I REALLY worked at it, write my own original story.

By the way, in my opinion, the Fanfic Recipe only works well with the names. I've said several times, if you take your favorite fic and replace the names with say, Fred and Wilma or Ricky and Lucy, they fall apart. Not only do they fall apart, they are hilarious to read. Like Romeo and Juliet, the remake only works if you have the plot to back up the epic love.