Rob's Halfway House - #9

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Re: Rob's Halfway House - #9

Post by Chernaudi »

Hi everyone :)

Songbird: It was a reply specific to my question, and it was mostly about a point that someone made in his book he helped author. This guy helped design the DH Hornet fighter, and he said that it was a great aircraft, but there were issues with some part of it he didn't like and if they stuck to stuff that was designed into the DH Mosquito, the Hornet could've been an even more excellent aircraft.

I haven't heard back from my friend yet, but I hope that I will soon.

In case you don't know what I was mentioning previously, here's what I'm referring to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DH_Hornet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DH_Mosquito

Songbird and Lynne: Please allow me to indulge in a little dark humor for a moment and post this about my feelings about Jersey Shore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhreZIk07pI

The irony is that the show is criticized for making fun of/exaggerating negative Italian-American stereotypes, and we sold P-47s to the Italian Air Force in 1945 after World War II ended. As for Jersey Short, I'm not Italian--I'm of Scottish/British, German, and Cherokee Indian descent, but I'm offended by the show. It's offensiveness and suckage knows now bounds. Even Beavis and Butt-head, which I know that some of you have a low opinion of, make fun of it. I wouldn't call it a major endorsement of my sentiments, but for them and Mike Judge to poke fun at the, show, it's gotta be horrid.

Everyone: This will be the last you'll probably see of me for a while, as I'm off to bed until later. I'll post after my parents leave as their visiting today.

I'll be back later :)
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
GOLDENGIRL59
Wandering Through Town

Post by GOLDENGIRL59 »

Good Sunday Morning to you all and since this is my first post on HH, HAPPY NEW YEAR! :yahoo: I'm actually 15 minutes early to leave for church so I thought I'd take a shot at a quickie post.
Hope you all have a fantastic day and if your a football fan ...GO DENVER! I'm trying to hurry to get this out since I've been away for so long and it means alot to get to post. My bracelet keeps banging on the keyboard so pardon if there's any errors (my excuse) LOL!

Songbird~ Welcome and I hope to get to know you ....and reconnect with the rest of you ;)

I've got lots of catching up to do on how you've all been and lots to share. I'm excited at the Chicago trip (much needed) and sounds like TONS OF FUN!!! Well done on putting it together.
Well, the hubs is pulling on his jacket so that's my sign to get going. We have to leave extra early as he leads the music so gotta be on time.
Love you all and have enjoyed chatting a bit on FaceBook with you.
HAVE AN AWESOME DAY----Will try to be back later :cool:

Banner by Tammy AZ
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Happy Sunday everybody!!!

I have been thinking about the HH-con all day… I have so much to plan and arrange and I still don’t know anything for sure and if my plans will work…
Some help please!!!!

My traveling plan is as followed, my bf and I will fly on the 7th to Toronto, we will stay there for a day or two and than drive south to the Falls and around Lake Erie. (or if advised an other route from the falls.) I hope to arrive in Chicago on the 19th or 20th.
Do you girls think this is a doable trip?
I’m going to a holiday convention Friday in the hope to find more answers… I’m already getting nervous. It’s only a few months away!!

Anyways, I’m spending the Sunday on the sofa…
Yesterday my parents visited for my bf’s bday…we went out to the city and did a bit of shopping. I bought some books (again!!!! I really have to start reading more) and ingredients to make hot chocolate. After that we went to the beach to watch the storm wreaking havoc on the sand and tourists. We had planned to eat at a tapas bar but they were full so we ended up at an Italian diner.
Because I’m still not completely recover I’m now so tired from the whole day out…

Now posts…

Jaclyn, you could be my weather girl!!! We get what you have about two days later and less cold… so I bet we get gray weather at the of today, it has been sunny for two days now…

Songbird, I have add you to our HH on fb!!!!
You aren’t the only one surprised be the irresponsible behavior of parents. Here in the city it’s mind blowing… you see really small kids playing with large fireworks or already doing illegal things…

Raine & Lynne, thanks for your well wishes… your good vibes seems to work…

Tonise, I have send you a pm on the HH-con, I really need somebody to tell that all will be amazing and good… my bf is a real perfectionist and he has been asking me all of these questions about Chicago with only make me more unsure of everything… sometimes I wish I just could go alone!!! He wants everything to be planned out perfectly…
I’m happy to hear that your little baby is recovering from her illness… it’s so said to see an animal sick..

Shauni, thanks for your thoughts on Bel Ami… I have been reading a lot of reviews and everybody is saying about the same thing… I haven’t read the book either so I’m hoping it will be a good movie to watch.

Ashley, during the holidays it has been really quiet here, you got back about the same time everybody got back, that’s why it looks so busy here…everybody got new things to tell and plans to make for the new year…

Hey Joyce… I’m happy to see you back here…yep, Chicago will be so much fun! I’m getting really nervous and excited about it… mainly because I feel the pressure to juggle it all with the attention my bf will need as well… (see what I told Tonise)…

Girls/man, I need some other bit of advise, as you all know I haven’t been too happy about my job. During Christmas I found out why, some of my brother’s friends, a lot younger than me don’t feel the need for holidays and days off, and I wondered why…well they think it’s because they already work a lot outside and really enjoy what they do… I have never known what I wanted to do, but working outside or having a job in which you regularly go out seems to be the key… but do you know a job who does that? Besides being a builder or farmer?

Well, I have to go… spend enough time on the laptop already!!!
See you tomorrow!!!
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Songbird
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Songbird »

Sean, I think I'd better wait to watch that video clip...everything I've heard about Jersy Shore seems to say there's a lot of foul language and since I have my kids here in the room, I think it's best saved for later when they are in bed.

GOLDENGIRL59, Happy New year! I'm sure we'll get to know each other if you are here with any regularity. I plan to stick around!

Marielle, what specifically are you wanting to know if it is doable? That you will be able to drive from Toronto to Chicago in that amount of time? Or how much it will cost? Or crossing borders? I'm assuming you are planning on renting a car if you are driving...do both of you have licenses? Have you looked into international licenses, or whether it's allowed to use your Dutch one? My husband always drives in the states on his Dutch License, but we've never been pulled over, and they have always accepted it at car rental agencies, so it MUST be ok. But since we've never gone to Canada together, I don't know how it works there. But we have traveled between the Netherlands and the US a few times and if you need some travel tips, I'd be happy to help, though as much as Susie travels, she might be more qualified. I WILL tell you, Chicago is REALLY confusing to drive in. We were confused several times between the airport and the downtown area (going to see the sears tower) and it was even worse trying to get BACK to the airport to pick up my brother. After that, we left the car at the hotel and used busses, etc. I saw you added me to the FB group! Thank you! What do you do for work right now? Do you want something really outside, or just something more active, not sitting behind a desk? Anything with nature is bound to have a lot of outside stuff..like park rangers....or if you are interested in people and history, achaeology or anthropology, if you are into science, perhaps geology?

Everyone, we had a good time at the play gym but ended up leaving a little early, our son was getting SO tired, which means he cries at the drop of a hat. But up until then, they had a great time. I was amazed though...we saw this little boy walking up and down the rows of tables and calling for mommy or daddy...we watched him for a minute to see if he would find them, but he didn't, so hubs went up to him and took him to the counter where they have an intercom. He said the boy was clinging to him so hard and they couldn't get a word out of him...name, age, nothing, because he was so scared. He was the same height as our son and looked a bit older, so we figured about 4. So they say over the intercom that there's a boy that looks about 4 and he's lost mommy and daddy, and they describe the clothes...up walks his mom and says he's TWO! He looked way older than that, but what in the world is a parent doing letting their 2 year old play by themselves out of eyesight?? She says she told him where their table was...but yeah...hello, the kid is 2. Like he's going to remember that 5 minutes after you tell him. Poor kid! He was terrified.
Signature artwork by TammyAZ
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

*pokes her head in and looks around*

Hey y'all! I finally figured out how to use the site on my phone!!! So I shall post more now!!! Yeah baby! (I might be a tad excited lol!)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Songbird - yeah, I don't handle stressful situations too well, especially when I'm tired. I just wanted to go home at that stage. Boy, those parents of that two year old, what were they thinking? The poor kid! I still have trouble letting Little Man out of my sight at any time and he's five!

Sean - I'm from British stock mainly, and we excel at sending up our own race, so things that send up races don't usually bother me, although it depends how far it goes. I think, because we afraid of racism, we've got to the stage where we can get a little too sensitive about those things, but it is a delicate rope to walk, the line between being funny and being offensive.

Joyce - happy New Year to you, too!

Marielle - it probably depends a lot on what your interests are. When I was first considering a job one I considered was to be an animal handler at a zoo, or something similar. That's outside, although I think it would involve some training and probably a lot of shovelling unpleasant stuff! I don't think it matters whether your job is indoors or outdoors so much as whether or not it is something you enjoy. Have a look at the things you really enjoy doing and see if there's any profession out there that is like that. That's probably the first step I'd take.

Everyone - well, this Friday I'll be back working for my publisher friend again. I'm guessing that she will have read my novel by now. Although I've been in contact with her a couple of times she hasn't mentioned it, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I'm really nervous at the thought of what she might say. It will be devastating if she says no. It will be just as bad if she says she needs changes and they're changes that can't be done because of the way the story goes.

Oh, and by the way, those of you who have seen my video, can you go back to it and give it a 'like'? It now has more dislikes than likes! :cry: WAAAAAAAH!
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

I will definitely like it Lynne :-) I thought it was great.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

Hi everyone :)

Some quick comments.

Songbird: Unless you find an Iron Maiden song to be offensive or viewing World War II fighter aircraft gun camera destroying Nazi and Imperial Japanese aircraft in the air, and mostly on the ground on deserted airfields, there's not much to be offended, though I wouldn't crank it up loud--this is Maiden we're talking about here :)

Lynne: I'm not too off put by racism, as most of the people on the show are Italian Americans, but the show, to me at least, is just stupid...very stupid. Not even worth that .1 of a penny that they don't charge you per gallon of gas at the gas station.

Another piece on Jersey Shore: I'll let one of Iron Maiden's contempories and inspirations use "The Wall" to express how I feel about Jersey Shore, and and lot of the mainstream media in general:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZiUuXdk8LU

UPDATE: I got my groceries, and I have plenty of little pizzas and some chicken, and a frozen limeade thing. So I'm pretty much set for tonight. I just gotta find something decent on TV or finish watching a movie later.

I'll be back later :)
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Hi, Y'all!! This has been a wonderful day even with the dreary rain we've had all day. I did not buy groceries like I should have, but I can do that tomorrow after the gym and my Celebrate Recovery meeting. On to your posts... which are few in number tonight! Hmmm...Where is everyone? Y'all be sure and scroll back to the early 170's and look over the HH Con 2012 info and add comments if needed. :D

Sean, Lynne, and Songbird ~~ SAD face about Y'all not being able to be at the HH Con with us! We'll put our resident TECHNO expert on a possible SKYPE session!
Lynne~~ I went back to the video and hit the LIKE button!
Ashley~~ I am so glad you have now joined the YES list for good!! Yippee!!
Joyce~~ Yes, it will indeed be FUN!! Any ideas on the activities you'd like to see us do as a group?
JennJenn~~ Yay! I can't wait to see more posts from you now that you've figured out your phone! I'm looking seriously at an iPhone in February when my upgrade is ready.
Brenda~~ LOVE the birthday moments you shared with us! Enjoy these years!
Marielle~~ The 19th or 20th sounds doable to me. Maybe you'll know more about things after your holiday convention. Your BF and I sound a lot a like. You can ask SUSIE how I am with the planning of things down to the last detail. I'm a little bit OCD in that respect! LOL!

Well, I am off to Mingle and Fish for a few minutes before hitting the bed by 11 pm tonight! Y'all have a Marvelous Monday, and I'll be back tomorrow night during the BCS Championship game.
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Hi Everyone!

Things have been pretty busy around here this weekend!

I was offline yesterday because I was saving it for the afternoon after I had gotten my cleaning and laundry done and errands, but then I ran out of time!! Last night Hubs and I went to our friend's movie night at this house - An old Jean Harlowe movie. Today after church Hubs and I went to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts (MIA) special exhibit on Japanese Wood Block Prints from the Edo period - mid 1700's to mid 1800's. Very cool. Most of the 100+ prints are from the MIA collection.

Just a few highlights since I can't stay long -

Shauni - Thanks for posting about Bel Ami!

Joyce - Welcome back, lady!

Sean - Good idea to widen your social circle. Try a volunteer job or activity group of some sort.

Brenda - Love your warm and fuzzy evening with your son and his friends (and Hugh Jackman)

Tornado - What a scary, frustrating experience getting your car out! I could just imagine that happening to me. I'm glad you had fun with your old friends. Fingers crossed for your novel. I can' imagine your boss would have all negative comments. Perhaps a mixed bag is more realistic. If she has constructive criticism you should really thank her. Especially if it's something that can be fixed and make it more easy to get a publisher to accept.

Songbird - I'm so glad you've become a regular here!

JennJenn - That's great that you can Lex on your new phone!!

Ashley - I really hope you can join us in Chicago.

Tonise - Thanks for bringing up the HHCON again to get commitments!Kayla said she was a 'yes'.

Marielle - I'm glad you are taking it easy today. Yesterday a storm on the beach? I can just picture it. You weren't sitting outside at the Italian restaurant were you? Your plan from Toronto to Chicago sounds fine -you'll see a lot of beautiful countryside. Sorry, but I don't have any suggestions for outdoor jobs...

ACTION ROB - is currently with Sandy, right? Who is next??? Amy? Brenda? Lulu?

I go back to teaching tomorrow after a 2 weeks break. I hope I remember my grammar! Of course I will!
I wake up everyday, ecstatic that I get paid for teaching English grammar!!! :lol:

Nighty Night!