Rob's Halfway House - #9

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
older_twilight_fan
Lusting for Blood
Location: Somewhere in Louisiana, praying that Summit won't "fade to black" in Breaking Dawn

Re: Rob's Halfway House - #9

Post by older_twilight_fan »

Hello HH sisters and brother! :wave:

Hope all of you are well. This is sort of a drive-by post as I know there's no possible way I can catch up with everyone's posts over the past week. I last posted at the HH the night before New Year's Eve and had every intention of getting back into my regular posting schedule last Sunday night (New Year's Day). Unfortunately, our computer was infected with some type of virus....again! :shock: I'm so sick and tired of these computer issues we've had over the past few years. :banghead: We have pretty decent virus protection software and always run scans and get the program updates regularly. But we've had to take our computer in to have it worked on probably four or five times over the past few years, at a minumum of $79.00 for the company to perform the usual spyware and virus removal type stuff. :? Anyway, we took our computer to a different company recommended by a friend of mine this time, and I hope they were more successful in removing whatever exactly needed to be removed. I'm always afraid that my surfing of the Lexicon, reading fanfiction, and occasionally perusing Robsessed or other Twilight-related sites may contribute to these computer issues, and I'd hate to have to explain that to hubs :blush: ....but I don't remember any of you having these types of problems as frequently as we have.

I enjoyed quickly reading through everyone's posts and seeing what's been going on with all of you the past week or so. It's kind of neat to see that other than the Bel Ami screening and maybe the BD DVD release, there was really very little mention of Rob (or Twilight) around the Halfway House the past few days. And yes, I know we're in a little bit of a Robdrought. But I also think it reveals what a unique place the Halfway House is, and what meaningful and long-lasting friendships (both online and otherwise) have been formed around here....and that this place is so much more than just a fan forum for one gorgeous and talented actor from the UK. :D

I hope everyone is enjoying their New Year and adjusting well to post-holiday schedules and the inevitable return to school, work, and such. :) I hope to check back in with all of you tomorrow, although we will be busy with my daughter's middle school basketball games several days after school this week.
Banner by TammyAZ
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Sean - yes, it looks stupid to me, too. That's why I never bothered with it.

Tonise- thanks for liking the video! Unfortunately, in the meantime, it's got another dislike! Grrrrrrrr! I'm certainly in for a skype session!

Susie - which Jean Harlowe movie was it? I'm sure that my publisher will have something positive to say, but even if she gives me some positive feedback, she could still say, "I don't want to publish it". Or she might say, "You need to make these changes". If they are changes that can be done within the storyline I'm fine with that (I've already done one rewrite), but I'm afraid she'll ask for changes that I can't do without destroying the storyline. This is part one of a trilogy, and things happen in the other books that aren't covered in this one, so there's only so far I can go in certain directions.

Tracy - that is frustrating about your computer. I'd say the company you've been using has been doing a bad job. There's always the risk of viruses at any site, but good protection software regularly updated should take care of that. We haven't had problems for a while - touch wood!
Songbird
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Songbird »

Lynne, I don't do too bad with stressful situations if I'm removed from it...like if I was with you and it was your car, I'd be fine. If it was MY car, or I was alone...I would freak. Like...my friend came over once with her toddler. He his his lip on the coffee table and it started bleeding. SHE was freaking out because he had never taken a tumble before and this was her first experience with him bleeding. So I was able to be calm and check him out to make sure he was ok. Everything fine. But when the same friend was over and my daughter locked the bathroom door and couldn't get it UNlocked to get out, -I- freaked out...so my friend was the one who had to be calm and managed to get her out (after tossing her stuffed animal through the window to give her some comfort) by using a knife (I couldn't, in my panic, remember where the screwdrivers were) to get the door handle off and pull the lock out. That's the nice thing about friends, isn't it? Good luck with your book! Is this your first novel?

Sean, I misunderstood...I thought it was a video clip of Jersey Shore with some comments on it or something...No, that's not offensive at all!

Tonise, I wish I could join you all, too! A skype session sounds great though!

Susie, it seems you are always SO busy! How do you keep up?? And I'm glad I'm a regular here, too...everyone on here is so great!

Tracy, that's a bummer about the computer! Hope they get it fixed this time. Good to see you briefly, though!

I'm rushing through because I have to go pick the kids up from school in a minute. I had a dream last night that Marielle was a lounge singer. It was amusing! My friend's book came in the mail today, so I get to start editing. SOOOO excited! She's trying to get published and lets me read and give feedback before she sends her books off. Can't wait to get started. Ok, off to pick up the kiddos! Have a great day!
Signature artwork by TammyAZ
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Hello my dear HH family!!!

Hands up for those who hates Mondays as well!!!!
Gods, I never knew I could hate a day so much! I went back to work, 77 unread e-mails cluttered my mailbox. Normally half of them can be deleted but not this time, almost all of them were telling me that things needed to be done…
I could keep my focus until 11 in the morning but after that I lost my concentration to fanfic again!!!

Anyway, posts,

Songbird, actually I love to know if everything will go alright, can you tell me that? ;) :D
I’m just kidding, my biggest concern is the time, will I have time enough to see a lot in a bit less than two weeks. is that time enough to drive from Toronto to Chicago, I really have a hard time with the size of the US, here in Holland you can go almost everywhere in 3 hours, but can’t seem to figure out how long it will be driving from Toronto to Chicago. I have figured the border control issues out already by contacting a very helpful US embassy.
On the Job issue, I would love to work as a park ranger, or in a zoo… but it isn’t paid very well…. I’m science based and educated… I love geology, Archeology and all things nature …I just need ideas of nice jobs…perhaps somebody comes up with a good idea…
Aww, you dreamed about me!!!! that’s so sweet, but for your info, I’m really not much of a singer, I used to be but my voice has changed too much since puberty.

Lynne, from the first time they asked what I wanted to become when I grew up I said I didn’t know. And I still don’t know… like I said to Songbird, I love all things nature, but also science… I always imagined myself as a high school teacher but I would need to go through school again and I’m not really up for that.
My mind just can’t seem to get a clear picture of my own future, it’s so annoying!!!

Tonise, I’m looking so forward to the holiday convention, I really hope I can figure a lot out! Yes, my bf is very into the details when it comes to planning things…but only with me… I think he is still a bit apprehensive about our meeting, I can see it in his eyes that he still thinks it’s a bit weird…

Susie, you are strong!!!! I can’t under any circumstances stay away from the HH, not even for cleaning…
Hihi, yes for the last week or so we had a storm out on see, the winds blows in land combined with the spring tide it’s something special to see. The water came up till where the beach ends, where the restaurants were… with really high waves… I always love the sea when it storms but the sand is so annoying

Tracy, I’m sorry that you have so much computer issues. I’m pretty sure that the Twilight fansites, fanfic and the lex don’t contribute to your virus problem. I have almost no virus protection other than what is available for free online and I have almost never issues…

well, see you all later... maybe I bring in some goodies when I have time :wave:
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Good monday morning, dear siblings.

Again, I've been MiA. But, this time, I swear, I have a grand excuse. Saturday was just a day of all around busy. We had soccer, a bit more soccer and then spent the rest of the day de-Christmasing the house, or at least making a dent in doing so. Gods bless Hubs, because he finished up yesterday so that I could come into work for a few hours to wrap up some things before heading out tomorrow. But, more importantly, I had what I consider the meeting of a lifetime yesterday. Some of you know that I beta for AngelatTwilight. However, in addition to betaing for her, she and I have become incredibly good friends over the last several years. It's kind of a natural progression when you work that closely and have that much in common. Well, it so happens that she's originally from Indiana and is home visiting family. So, I finally saw the girl face-to-face and with my own eyes. It was so fantastic. It's right up next to meeting Susie for me. We've always just clicked and really been able to talk about anything. I have to say, it was so adorable. She was actually quite nervous before-hand and was texting me nonstop about it. I finally just had to tell her to calm down and breathe as I was worried she would pass out! :lol: But, it was a fantastic evening. We decided we absolutely had to see BD together, and thankfully, there was a theater essentially halfway between us with a few showings. We were hysterical in the movie. There were several moments or scenes to which we reacted literally the exact same way. She was laughing hysterically at me when I would growl at the screen, and we both sat through the very end of the credits, something I was SHOCKED to find out she hadn't done!! Then we went to supper and chatted for several hours before we both had to head home. But, she'll still be around when I get home, so we made plans to meet up again before she leaves. I'll tell you, siblings, I've been like a giddy schoolgirl for the last 18 hours.

And owing to the fact that my life is crazy right now, please forgive the length of this post...

Sean~ It is a wonderful thing to find that person who knows and understands you and loves you because of that. You’ll get there. I am happy to say that I have never in my life seen even a snippet of an episode of JS. Sadly, I don’t have to. Their antics are so widely publicized that they are all infamous in their own right. I think the whole lot of them should be sent back to kindergarten to learn some manners, some appropriate behavior, and to get an education and do something productive with their lives.

Songbird~ I do love that I have three TwiGuys. When both monkeys got their iTouches for Christmas, it warmed my heart that the first book they wanted loaded onto their iBooks accounts was The Saga. Believe me, I understand that compulsion. I’m hugely looking forward to the 16 hour car rides each way, plus all the down time when I will have Kindle in hand. Two!!! Wow. I really try not to judge other parents because I know we all do it differently, but TWO!! I’d have freaked out the second I didn’t have eyes on my two-year-old. Heck, I panicked when I lost Biggun at a basketball game for about 10 minutes once and he was 13!!

Marielle~ So glad that you are feeling better. I do need to ask, did you end up with a favorite BTS featurette on the boxed set? It’s so nice that you are celebrating BFs birthday a little later. Kind of makes it feel like the celebration is still going. Hope it was wonderful. I think that sounds like a fabulous trip and we can’t wait to see you and BF. I wish I could help with the job advice, but I’m the last person to be familiar with those jobs. Good luck. I hope someone has the answers for you.

Susie~ Bummer about Sonny’s bike. I had the same thing happen my first fall at Butler. Sounds like an absolutely wonderful exhibit. We’ve missed you around these parts (says the chronic missing-in-action :lol: ) Teehee. It’s so funny you said that. I can’t help but think of you every time I watch BD and see Aro’s wonderful scene… “First it’s the spelling… Then the grammar.” I’m waiting for the day that you report to us that you actually use that in class! Hope that you and hubs enjoyed your movie night. I know how much you adore them.

Jaclyn~ Love that you are counting down to the wedding!! That’s so sweet. I’m actually just in a bit of crazy mode right now. I’ll be excited tomorrow when we leave. But, between now and then, I’ll just be trying to get everything done.

Raine~ I don’t think I told you how much I love that picture. It’s kind of fun to see the progression. GAH!!! That picture is just…. :swoon: Does me in every time. Was there ever a man who looked more perfect as a groom?!?!

Desiree~ Hey girl!!! Fancy seeing you here. :D

Tonise~ Ahh, the occasional sweet indulgence is a wonderful way to start a weekend. I’m off to Orlando. Littlun’ plays in a soccer tourney over the MLK holiday weekend. So, we’re packing up the family and heading there for the week. Even better is that, whilst there, I plan to meet up with Ginnie & Christina for breakfast. I hope Toojay’s is ready for us! :lol: We share sleep patterns, it seems. I just cannot go to bed prior to around midnight if not 1 am, for a number of reasons. But, then I have to get up at 6 am or so to get the boys and myself out the door. I’m just too set in my ways to change it at this point. I tend to catch up on my sleep on the weekends by crashing in (so nice now that my monkeys are self-sufficient in the mornings!) Thanks for reposting the HHCon info, but just one change, I am definitely a YES!! Sorry, thought I had clarified that.

Shauni~ I saw your comments on Robsessed!! I’m so envious of you. I cannot WAIT for that film to come to the US!

Lynne~ Wow! Sounds like an adventure of a night. I’m so glad you all were able to get to the car and get home safely. It was sweet of Hubs to wait up for you, though I understand the dilemma. Can I just tell you, I love having watched your videos because now, when I read your posts, I can actually sort of hear you relaying the story in my head in your own voice and accent. I’m odd that way. But, it makes it kind of cool for me. :D Oh absolutely, we’ll set up a Skype session with all of our siblings who can’t come! I’m a big fan of Hugh Jackman, actually. I kind of love that he’s this huge action-star-manly-man, but can also do a broadway kickline better than any Rockette. He’s truly a triple threat.

Ashley~ *tacklehugs* GAH!! I’m so happy to see you again. :D Teehee, I’m taking a wee trip to Orlando for Littlun’s soccer tourney. The timing is always odd, because I come out of the holidays and the general crazy/vacation that happens with them, and then am gone for a week. But, it’s always a good time. And, I get to meet up with Ginnie & Christina for a bit while I am there. YAY that you got my card! The book shelf project actually sounds like fun. Those are the kinds of creative things I can get into. Love the new siggy and avvy, by the way. Very cool. I’m so happy you get to come to HHCon!

Brenda~ What an awesome night!! WOW!! SIX 13-year-olds?!?! Good grief, there are days I can barely take my one. :lol: I’m so glad you all had a good time together, and so cool that they did a joint party. Yes, I’m guessing an eye-full of Hugh on the bigscreen might be enough to distract me from that kind of crazy for a few hours. He’s been on my list for eons!

Joyce~ Glad you could swing in. Seems your football preferences went well yesterday. I’m still kind of in shock that Denver pulled it off, but good for them.

JennJenn~ YAY!!! Wow, it’s like a reunion around here! Awesome that you figured out Lexing mobile. Makes life so much fun. :D

Tracy~ Actually, I’ve gotten viruses twice in the last year that I think came from the main page of FFn. Accordingly now, I avoid that main page like the plague, and even still get a bit nervous visiting author pages. I try as hard as I can to only go through the specific chapter links. It has, consequently, put a bit of a dent in finding new fanfiction. But, what’s a girl to do? Oh I couldn’t agree more. It’s quite a unique little home we’ve found for ourselves, isn’t it? Personally, I happen to think Rob would be tickled to find out the community that has been created because of him.

So, in recognition for anyone who made it all the way through that beast, just a little happiness for you. *sigh* I just can't ever get over SmileyHappyEdward from the first have of that movie. It warms my heart.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Songbird
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Songbird »

*raises hand for hating Mondays* I think they should just cancel Mondays due to lack of interest.

Marielle, I would LOVE to tell you everything was going to go well...alas, I am not Alice, so I don't have that ability. But, I can tell you, according to a google search, Toronto is a 439 mile drive to Chicago. Now, where I went to college was 200 miles from my home town and it took about 4 hours, with stops for bathroom and filling the tank with gas. According to the search, it should take about 9 hours to drive from Toronto to Chicago....you could do that in a day if you didn't want to stop on the way, but I'm assuming, as you're used to distances in the Netherlands, you're going to want to stop somewhere, at least one night. But you should have NO problem getting there by the 19th or 20th. We drove Wyoming to Chicago area every other year to see mom's family and we took 2 days to drive, stopping wherever the spirit moved. According to Google, that should be an 18 hour drive...and it probably is. We drove about 12 hours per day, but like I said, we stopped a lot. So you are golden as far as the distance goes. You'll make it with time to spare. I would allow a few extra days in Chicago if I were you, depending on what activities you all plan for HH Con, just because there is SO much to see in Chicago. You said you like science, so the Museum of Science and Industry is a must for you, and since you like geology, zoology, etc, the Field museum (with Sue the Dinosaur) is great, too. I think there's an aquarium there, too, but I've never been to that. And of course there's the Sears tower. So depending on what you want to see and when those things are open, you might want those extra days in Chicago. Good luck in deciding what you want to be. Hopefully you find something you can be passionate about. And in my dream you were a fabulous singer...they hired you because they were struggling financially and knew you would pack in the crowds.

Caryn, What is AngelatTwilight? That's great that you clicked and that you got to go see BD1 together!! I would LOVE to go with someone other than my husband...someone who is as obsessive about the saga as I am. (he enjoys the series, but he's not particularly emotionally invested in them like I am) I took my friend in Orlando to see Eclipse when I was there 2 summers ago, because she had never read the books or seen the movies, and I wanted to introduce her to them, but I've never seen them with someone else who has strong reactions to what's going on on the screen, beyond a couple of hours of entertainment. That must have been so exciting for you! And I know...TWO! I let my kids run free at the play area, but they are 4 and 5 and we're always looking..we read while they play, but we do a scan every couple of minutes and if we can't see them, we go looking. These people didn't even notice that he was wandering around looking for them, so they couldn't have been keeping an eye out for him...and 2 is just too young (in my opinion anyway) to let them have free reign.
They totally need to make a poster with the Aro scene about spelling and Grammar. I'd buy it! And it would be great for English teachers! And that was a great pic you posted...I love the smiling happy Edward.
Signature artwork by TammyAZ
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

Hey folks,

Just a fly by.. haven't even managed to lurk today really!!

I hope you are all well. Our weekend was great - we paid the balance of our honeymoon & bought our wedding rings!! :)
We sent out our invitations today :D Just fixing a couple last minute ones tonight, so no time to post.

Hopefully I will get on somepoint during the week - pretty busy though, but fingers crossed!

Bye!
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

Tonise- What is celebrate recovery? I have a samsung captivate slider and love it! Would have gotten a iphone, but I didn't want my bro to spend that much $(he added me to his plan)

Susie-Sounds like you had a good night with the hubs :-) yep, very happy to lex now :-)

Tracy-I hate comp problems man. Ours is still messed up. Hope you get yours well soon!

SongBird-that's cool that you do that on your friends book!

Marielle-I hate mondays as well lol!

Caryn-I saw the pic you had on FB, that's nice. Def happy to be back!

Jaclyn-hi!

Post a bit more later!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

HAPPY MONDAY EVERYONE!!

I'm going to overuse the quote function today because it is just easier for my brain right now.
Sorry about that!

Getting back to teaching was FUN!! We did "Expressing Quantity" with: all of, almost all of, most of, some of, one of, none of (the correct subject/verb agreement when you use those expressions) and did a reading about New Years traditions. The homework assignment was to write about their New Years traditions. My class is intermediate, so they will only write about 1-2 paragraphs.
Songbird wrote:*raises hand for hating Mondays* I think they should just cancel Mondays due to lack of interest.
Songbird and Marielle - I actually like Mondays. You just have to get into the right frame of mind. Monday gives you the chance to switch back to your other life - it is refreshing. The weekend gets a little tedious sometimes. But then again, I always liked school and going back on Mondays.
Songbird wrote: They totally need to make a poster with the Aro scene about spelling and Grammar. I'd buy it! And it would be great for English teachers!
Songbird and Caryn - Unfortunately the humor would definitely be lost on my students. They just don't get our culture. Believe me. Many of my jokes are lost on them. It would be great for teaching English to native speakers of English, or even savvy Europeans who are learning English. The key is savvy. Caryn - I'm so glad you think of me every time that scene rolls around because that must add up to SEVERAL times that you are thinking of me.
Jazz Girl wrote:... So, I finally saw the girl face-to-face and with my own eyes. It was so fantastic. It's right up next to meeting Susie for me...
Caryn - Wow. Just wow. I can't believe I would even be in the same category as that lovely lady.
Quite the compliment! :blush:
marielle wrote:Gods, I never knew I could hate a day so much! I went back to work, 77 unread e-mails cluttered my mailbox. Normally half of them can be deleted but not this time, almost all of them were telling me that things needed to be done…
Marielle - Just make a game of it - do something silly each time you delete an email. Attitude is 99% of the job. You probably would hate Mondays at any job. It's the transition you don't like. Maybe you could prepare yourself mentally on Sunday night or even Monday morning in the train. Do some positive creative visualization. Have something fun waiting for you on Monday mornings. Tons of ideas.
Tornado wrote:Susie - which Jean Harlowe movie was it? I'm sure that my publisher will have something positive to say, but even if she gives me some positive feedback, she could still say, "I don't want to publish it". Or she might say, "You need to make these changes". If they are changes that can be done within the storyline I'm fine with that (I've already done one rewrite), but I'm afraid she'll ask for changes that I can't do without destroying the storyline. This is part one of a trilogy, and things happen in the other books that aren't covered in this one, so there's only so far I can go in certain directions.
Lynne - The movie was Libeled Lady from 1936. Jean Harlowe died the next year of kidney failure. Such a waste! You are going to drive yourself crazy trying to anticipate what your boss will say about your book. Whatever it is, it will be OK in the long run. You have to believe that. We don't always know the path our projects will take! Let it happen naturally. Do you know what I mean? I don't mean give up, but maybe you will have to take a different route and it might even be a better route and a better product. Deep. Breath.
older_twilight_fan wrote:... And yes, I know we're in a little bit of a Robdrought. But I also think it reveals what a unique place the Halfway House is, and what meaningful and long-lasting friendships (both online and otherwise) have been formed around here....and that this place is so much more than just a fan forum for one gorgeous and talented actor from the UK. :D

Tracy
- Love what you said about our unique slice of heaven here at the Halfway House! Aww! Sorry about your computer issues, hon!! That stinks!
Songbird wrote:Susie, it seems you are always SO busy! How do you keep up?? And I'm glad I'm a regular here, too...everyone on here is so great!

Songbird
- I'm sure you're actually busier than I am - most of the HH girls are busier than me because they have younger kids and some are also working. I work part time and my kids are in college. I am trying to spend less time online, though, and I do like to stay socially active in RL.
SwanCullen wrote:I hate mondays as well lol!
JennJenn - But aren't you glad to send your daughter back to school and have some time to yourself?? I always loved that!

Raine - Sorry - I left you out of my post last night. You certainly do lead a wild life on the weekends!! You must hate Mondays as bad as Marielle does. It's hard to get back to the weekday sleep schedule.

OK - I'll check in later today. Don't be surprised if you see more of me the rest of the month. I have to get to 1500 posts by my Lexiversary on January 30!!!!

BYE BYE!
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Morning!

It's kind of a sad day here in Brisbane today. On this day last year, after a December of rain that had led to flooding up north in our state of Queensland, the floods made us all take them seriously when they tore through Toowoomba and then down into the Lockyer Valley below, taking 38 lives with them. I've posted some videos on my Facebook page. I'll put two links here and here in case you want to have a look. I believe the footage was shown around the world, so some of you may have seen it this time last year.
In the days following the disaster at Toowoomba the water continued to rise until the Brisbane River, where our city is located, burst its banks. Several suburbs were completely submerged, with many people losing everything. Many of them are still living in caravans or tents because their houses are uninhabitable and their insurance companies refused to pay.

Songbird - yeah, I'm like that too. If it's someone else's disaster, I'm the calm one. If the disaster is happening to me, I fall apart!

marielle - I understand completely. When I left school I had no idea what I wanted to do. I wished that they had a job where you were paid for daydreaming all day! I'm now trying to put that to use by turning my daydreams into novels. That might legitimise it a bit, seeing as it's the thing I'm best at! I hope it works!

Caryn - Wow, you have had a busy time lately. I'm glad you had fund with Angela. How many times have you seen BD Pt 1 now? I'm glad I've give you a context for 'hearing' my posts, too! Yeah, Hugh Jackman's not a bad sort, is he? ;) I love his smile!

Jaclyn - I really love your wedding plan updates. Keep them coming!

Susie - yes, I know. I stress too much! *sigh*. I'm trying to think about it as little as possible.