Rob's Halfway House - #10

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Re: Rob's Halfway House - #10

Post by Chernaudi »

Hi everyone :)

This will probably be my final post before I leave to run my errands.

Here's the article about the Audi R18 I was talking about:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... -notebook/

If you want to talk about how road car and race car technology go hand and hand at Audi, this is a very obvious instance. Road car techies also helped develop the FSI direct fuel injection system that Audi tested on their R8 Le Mans cars from late 2000-Le Mans in June of 2001 before it became widely used in their line up and the entire Volkswagen Group line up. And the road car guys helped develop the original V12 TDI diesel engine used in the R10, and the technology from the R10, R15 and R18 with their diesel engines has filtered down to the Audi FSI and TDI road car engines. The flywheel hybrid system that the R18 e-tron uses was originally tested in an R8 road car before it was used in the R18, and the basic concept of electro-mechanical all wheel drive will filter down to some of Audi's smaller road cars in the future.

I probably won't post again until after I get back home, or maybe even after Leno goes off.

I'll be back later :)
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Songbird
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Songbird »

I'll do a full reply to everyone tomorrow, but here Sean:

“We actually fell from 4 people into one unity: hence Fallen One.” There’s no mysterious plot behind the band name, but Fallen One is anything but ordinary. Just like Evanescence and Within Temptation, their musical inspirations/role models, this band has a strong female lead. Lia Gocer has, with her many piercings and tattoos, a rough* image, but produces a satin smooth voice. This fits perfectly with the brutal sound of the other band members. At the end of 2010, the first EP was released, titled “Drowning in Circles.” This record seemed to be a ticket to big performances, such as at the Effenaar and with 3FM**. Since then, the band has spent a lot of time on the stage, but now they think it's time to do some more recording. Fallen One is heading back to the studio, this time with none other than Oscar Holleman (Within Temptation, Krezip). With this record, these Limburgers are hoping not only to conquer the Netherlands, but they have an appetite for some international fame. As a little peak under the veil, the quintet has already recorded the first videoclip and posted it on their website. “Dreams You Took” lets you see and hear what this promising band has in store.
Julia Borgers

Place: Heerlen
Sounds like: Evanescence, Within Temptation
*there’s no real literal translation for “stoer”..it’s like…cool, macho, rough
**radio station
Signature artwork by TammyAZ
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

morning all!

Yes, I'm excited that it looks like Rob is coming to Australia! I'd say filming is unlikely to be in my neck of the woods, though. My only hope is if Kristen comes with him she may take him up to Maroochydore to show him where her mum came from. It's only an hour and half's drive from here ... And I wonder if Rob is going to attempt an Australian accent? He'll need help with that, if he does! It's not an easy accent to master!

marielle - yes, I shall live in hope that I can see Blacklist. It does sound like something that I might find interesting.

Desiree - sure thing. This is a blurb about it that I wrote for a query letter once. If it's published, I'll probably put it on the back of the book:
"Sarah hates attending high school, where she is ignored by most of the other students. Her life is only made tolerable by the presence of Daniel Bradfield, the boy she worships from afar. Daniel is the big man on campus, the sole heir to his father's multinational computer company. Sarah is sure he doesn't know she exists.
When a tragedy brings them together, they begin to fall in love. However, Sarah can't shake the feeling that there is something strange about Daniel, as he constantly hovers protectively around her. What is he protecting her from?"

Grayce - maybe your friend will be forced to admit Rob isn't so bad after all once he's seen the movie!

Susie - does Edward say "the sole reason for my existence"? I don't remember him using the word "sole". Anyway, it's easy enough to cut that word out.
newtonscricket
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by newtonscricket »

Hi!

Just stopping in quick to say I'm so excited for Rob's new roles. And I'm glad Jaclyn got her presents! (and I'm glad she "gets" her presents ;) )

And I went to the zoo today with 100 five year olds. It was great! The giraffes and the ocelots really came through (maybe I just like spots). The lions and the bears were big old lazybones. You had to really look to make sure they were still breathing.

Lynne your tagline:

What if he told you ...
"You are the sole reason I was put on this planet"
... and he really meant it?

intrigues me....is it sci-fi romance? I really enjoy that genre if it's well done. So I like the idea conveyed by the tagline, but I think it needs to be tweaked. If I think of an improvement I'll let you know.
Chernaudi

Post by Chernaudi »

Songbird: Thanks for the translation. Am I to guess that it's raining in your area now (hopefully not like where I live earlier!), namely in that there's a race as Spa this weekend that I'll refer to later. At least where I'm the weather is improving--see my "everyone" post.

Everyone: Well, Kristen is on Leno tonight, and Audi have been 1-2-3-4 in all practices sessions and have qualified as such for the Spa 1000km tomorrow, and the R18 e-tron quattro was the first hybrid car to win a pole in a major professional motor racing event. And it should be noted that an Audi R8 road car served as a proof of concept vehicle for the R18's flywheel hybrid system. Things will come full circle in a couple of years when Audi offers e-tron-inspired hybrids to the public. The same things happened with their FSI direct fuel injection and TDI diesel stuff in the past, too, where the road car guys helped out the technicians and engineers on the racing side, and improvements made there filter into the road cars again a year or two down the road. That's the part about auto racing that I like, aside from the competition aspect of it.

Things have actually been fairly quiet on the Robsten front the past few days, only some photos of when Kristen went to the Jimmy Kimmel taping yesterday after she got back to LA. However, some SWATH interview stuff will be out soon, and some press material got released about Cosmopolis. And Fallen One released a couple of videos with 3FM (a Dutch rock station) from where they performed live on a radio show this morning.

Today, I bought grocheries and ran a few errands. And my Eclipse movie guide arrived in the mail today from Amazon. The rest of the stuff I ordered should be here within the next week or so, and my parents bought me a couple of books that they're gonna give to me Sunday.

Well, that's what my day has been like, along with dodging a mini-hurricane--or at least that's what the thunderstorm we were in was like. But everything is fine, and the weather is improving, and the temperatures over the next week in a half will be more to my liking.

Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Hi, Y'all!! Well... it's been one CRAZY BUSY week, but I am home and piled up in my nice comfy chair! THREE WEEKS UNTIL SCHOOL IS OUT!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I wanted to stop in and say a quick hello tonight. I'll be back tomorrow with some HH CON 2012 business! We have 48 days to go before Chicago is blessed with our presence! It'll never be the same! :D
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

NewJen - yes, it is sci-fi/romance. Whether it's well done or not is a matter of opinion! :) It does take a while to find out what is going on, I'll admit, and that's probably it's biggest drawback. However, that's just the way the story goes. I can't change it because of certain story elements and characters, and believe me, I've tried to think of a way! I think my friend would be more enthusiastic about publishing it if I got to that part a little faster. I've cut the beginning as much as I can, so now there's only the hope that it is entertaining enough to keep people intrigued, and I think it is.
Chernaudi

Post by Chernaudi »

I caught Kristen on Leno, and she didn't dress up like last time because she legitimately injured her foot during the BD2 reshoots, and there, she was mostly filming Bella's first hunt stuff. Not her best interview on Jay's show, but much better than on Letterman and most other shows, mostly because Jay isn't as condescending as Jimmy Kimmel, who doesn't really seem to be on the same wave length as Kristen, while Jay does his research, and Jay's a helluva lot better than that douchebag Letterman, or Litterman, if your prefer, just like how I call that stupid "letterbox" screen format "litterbox". Believe me, I can say worse about both Dave and letterbox, and it's certainly worse than the picture format that Audi uses for their Audi TV online video stuff, where they do everything from advertize, to do lifestyle features, to even stream WEC/Le Mans races in their entirety.

But Kristen was cute, though, and I saw the SWATH clip, and I might not see it in a theater, but I'll for sure try and get it on DVD when it comes out.

This will probably be the last message I post tonight, as I'll probably be going to bed fairly soon after doing a few things. It's been kinda a strange day anyways. Hopefully I'll have a long sleep in good weather and wake up with an Audi 1-2-3-4 at Spa and preferably with a hybrid winning, so Audi can be the first to say that they won a major professional race with a hybrid car.

marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Happy Liberation day!!!!

I'm not so happy though... I have a small skin inflammation and sitting up right hurts a bit, we are treating it now but it will take a few hours before the pain is gone...So I won't make a long post.

I just wanted to tell you all about the house we looked at yesterday! We actually liked the house a lot. There were some things that needed to be improved but all the expensive things were done really well and we could move in without changing a thing.
there were a few small thing, like the cabling on the 1st floor.

Monday we are going to watch the last house I have selected. I think I like that house better because it's a lot lighter but that house will need a bit of work...

I'll post again later to reply on you all... see you all later!!!
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Songbird
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Songbird »

Caryn, I hope things are slowing down for you again, or at least getting more manageable. Hrmm…if it’s more psychological, maybe I CAN watch the new Rob one…I can’t do violence and such. You said it was a “thriller” right? That’s what made me think no way. Maybe I can get hubs to watch it first and then he can tell me if I can handle it.

Lynne, how did it go with the dog? That is pretty exciting news about the platform, isn’t it? I mean…she must be seriously considering if she is asking for that. Do we count as part of the platform? How many people do you have to have interested or is there no set number? If people outside of Australia count, I am definitely interested. I’ll buy a copy for sure. I agree with Susie on the tagline…Edward says something so similar. I would change the line just slightly. I read your summary though, and it gave me chills. Very good!

Jaclyn, yay! So glad the gift finally made it! Susie was a fantastic organizer! It’s all down to her.

Suzan, glad you had fun at the workshop. I wouldn’t worry about what the stupid bartenders say. Maybe they didn’t mean it quite that way? I was 23 before I had my first drink. I am just not that fussed about it. I’ve found quite a few things that I like now, but I have a drink probably about 3-5 times a year. I have a spot in my pantry with baileys (a few different flavorts), amaretto, Mozart (a chocolate liqueur) and a cherry thing I haven’t tried yet…but it could take YEARS to get through my “stash”. There’s nothing wrong with not being a lush, even at 22 when everyone else is partying.

Tracy, I don’t know what a water shirt is, but we are careful about sunscreen, too…but my in-laws don’t think so much about it. My FIL doesn’t burn…he goes straight to tan and he’s out ALL the time because he loves to garden and he has a huge elaborate one that takes a lot of work. He spends hours every day outside. They just didn’t think of it. And my daughter didn’t burn…she’s got skin like her father’s. It’s just Mr. Man and I that have the really pale skin that burns so easily. But he seems alright and he didn’t complain about it hurting. But had I been there, I would have insisted on sunscreen!

Happy Belated Birthday, Christina! I need to look at the birthday list more often!! I hope you had a great day!

Marielle, when you said you are allergic to the sun and get itchy patches…are they filled with liquid? Because that’s exactly what I get. I have blistered with the sunburn a couple of times and I am MUCH more careful about it now, but just being out for a few minutes can cause those itchy spots.

Grayce, cheesecake is so happy! I have several recipes, and most of them have to be baked. My favorite one so far is the white chocolate raspberry truffle cheesecake. I want to try a chocolate marble one. I have one, but it wasn’t exactly what I wanted, so I’m looking for a better one. We don’t have graham crackers here. Or eagle brand condensed milk, but would a different brand work? I don’t think I could run a bakery out of my house…for one, my oven is too small. Heck, my whole kitchen is too small. I’ve done a few orders for friends and family…a baby shower cake for the friend of a friend, I did all the baby shower cakes for all my friends when they were pregnant, but I didn’t get paid for that, and I made all the cakes and such for a couple of family reunions. It’s funny…I did banana bread, zucchini bread, poppyseed bread and brownies (50 people) and the Dutch have this thing with vegetables in cake…they think it sounds disgusting and won’t touch it. So I didn’t tell them what was IN the cakes. The zucchini bread and the brownies were gone in the snap of a finger. So we always do a lottery at the family weekend to raise money for the next one. Everyone brings something to raffle off and we do several rounds of tickets. I made 8 loaves of poppyseed and zucchini bread. They raffled 3 cakes at the beginning of the first round of tickets and people were so excited about winning them that they decided to only do one or two for each round because once they were gone, people wouldn’t spend as much on tickets. They were fighting over the cakes and one aunt won 2 and people kept trying to trade her stuff for the extra one. I thought it was hilarious that if I had told them there was a vegetable in them, they probably wouldn’t have gone near them…but keep it a secret and they fight over them. So I do bake for other people, but to do a bakery out of my home is probably not really practical. I suppose I could do workshops…that might be fun. Cupcakes are HUGE right now…really “in”. If I taught people how to make cupcakes, I could probably make a killing.
Baileys has 3 different flavors…original, chocolate mint, and caramel. I have all three, I think…they are all good. I don’t drink coffee, but I might try some in hot cocoa sometime! I think the issue with my friend’s daughter isn’t so much that she TRIED pot, it was that she kept using it regularly, which made her grades suffer and she started stealing to get it. That, and my friend was really hurt by her ex, who was a major pot head. I think it hit her so hard because she saw so much of the girl’s father in her and didn’t want that for her….and then to find out all the other stuff was just too much. I asked her and she said she did try pot once but didn’t like it and never did it again and her pothead bf stopped smoking it around her when he found out she didn’t like it. So I don’t think it bothered her so much that her daughter tried it, though I’m sure it came as a shock. But it was the grades and the theft that really devastated her.

Susie, I had to laugh when you said you were sitting in a coffee shop, and at first I thought it was Suzan’s post, and I was like WHAT? Because Suzan was just talking about her inexperience with alcohol, and I’m sure with all your travelling, you’re aware of the difference between the American coffee shop, where they actually serve coffee, and the Dutch coffee shop where you buy pot. I giggled at the image of Suzan sitting there smoking a joint, but not having any experience with alcohol…and then when I realized it was you, I was REALLY giggling at that image of YOU sitting there smoking a doobie and listening to Thousand Years on the radio. Yes, my friend is coming down hard on her daughter, but I think in this case she needed to because of the grades and the stealing. I would agree that it wouldn’t be the right approach for everyone, and if it was just one time trying it, it would be an overreaction, but since it wasn’t just that, it completely warranted a strong reaction.

Sean, you’re welcome. I learned a couple of new words in the process. I had to ask hubs what “veroveren” was….I think that’s the word. And the expression of the peak under the veil…I didn’t know that expression, either. So it was educational for me, too! Always fun to learn something new! Yes, it’s raining here. Boo. But that’s spring in the Netherlands. It just kind of sucks because the kids have vacation from school, but are stuck inside with pent up energy.

Hi to everyone I missed!

So my daughter wants a strawberry cake for her birthday, which is proving to be difficult. Yikes. Most recipes call for white cake mix and strawberry jello mix…neither of which are available here. So I found a recipe for fresh strawberries and it calls for cake flour…also unavailable here. But I read that you can substitute ¾ cup all purpose flour, sifted, with 2 tablespoons of corn starch for each cup of cake flour. So I tried it today and it’s ok, but it’s a bit course and I’m afraid it will dry out fast. One of the cakes split when I baked them. So I have one more recipe to try next week and see if it works better…same ingredients pretty much, except for the number of eggs, and the process is a bit different and more familiar. So we shall see. But does anyone have a nice recipe for strawberry cake that does not involve any box mixes? This one was REALLY sweet, too.
We got to watch a Turkish wedding celebration on our street today. It was kind of neat…we heard this music and went to look and there was just this flood of people coming in and they were dancing. The kids really liked it…Mr. Man started dancing. I heard from the neighbors that a Turkish wedding lasts 3 days…wow. Bet THEY will be tired when it’s over!
And I’m so excited that they started carrying Rootbeer at the grocery store again!!! YAY!! It’s been months and I was so sad that they took it out of the assortment because they hadn’t been carrying it very long, but it’s back and now they have A&W brand instead of White Rock. Sooooo happy!! (it doesn’t take much, apparently)
Signature artwork by TammyAZ