Rob's Halfway House #11

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Susie
Frozen in Time

Re: Rob's Halfway House #11

Post by Susie »

Happy Monday!!

Today was my first day of class and my 13 students were from the following countries: Russia, Vietnam, Cambodia, India, Somalia, Colombia, Ecuador, Brazil, and Mexico. Doesn't that sound like fun? It IS fun. There were 7 students who were no-shows today - hopefully they'll come tomorrow. We also keep taking new students all the time. It's called "open enrollment" So the excitement never ends.

It's been a little quiet here at the Halfway House today - only 5 people have posted today.
But those 5 people are VERY important people!!! Among them is Jaclyn, who has been away on holiday!
Let's try to get people back on the Lex, OK? Let's enjoy the BD2 Preseason together here.
I know. I'm preaching to the choir. Still, we all have our connections, do we not???

Austin - Well, you lost me a bit on all that bowling lingo, but I wish you the best of luck this season. Do you have good friends on your bowling team? Is it all men? It seems to me that the teams are gender specific...

Lynne - So sorry to hear about your financial loss via the agency. It sounds like the kind of thing that would happen to me. I hope you can get past this financially AND emotionally. I know it's embarrassing, but it happens to all of us one time or another.

Jaclyn
- NICE TO SEE YOU BACK HERE! I'm glad you had such a wonderful holiday in Tenerife. Thanks for all of that info.It sounds heavenly. We here in the U.S. don't get to the Canary Islands much since it's so far away. If we're going to go that far, we tend to want to go to Europe and if we just need sun, we go to Florida, Arizona, or California in our own country and then Mexico, and the Caribbean for more exotic locales.

Marielle
- Toy shopping for your cat? Wow. You two are so funny! That's what happens when you don't have kids. Does your bf get as excited about buying new toys as you do? You have a funny picture of me? Well, I hope it is truly funny rather than truly unflattering. I really don't want it if I'm going to cringe. I'm at the age where I only like some of my pictures.

Sean - I'm very glad to hear you had a good day at work! Whoo hoo!

Nighty Night!
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

An other quick one. Gimmie a Nissan GTP ZX-Turbo or an Audi R18 with its Akrapovic exhaust and I'd teach some people a few lessons (KS/JL rivalry BS).

And of course I know that tomorrow is 9/11. I don't need reminded of it on a yearly basis no more than I need to be reminded of Pearl Harbor and stuff like that. I know that some people need reminding, but I was at school on 9/11/01 and I know damn well what happened, and I think of those who lost loved ones who for friggin' sure don't need any reminding of that horrid day. I symphathize with those who have old wounds opened on this day each year, and those who's wounds have never healed.

Honoring and remembering those who died is one thing, but I do think that some people, especially the media, tend to take things a little too far sometimes.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

OH damn!!!! I can’t get on Robsessed!!! Help!!!!

Anyway, good morning everybody.

Yesterday was a bit of a downer… the realtor called off our appointment. The people who are selling the house we wanted to see for a second time weren’t sure if they could sell it anymore. They were planning to move abroad but he had issues with his work so they called off the appointment for us not wanting to be jobless and homeless… I’ll hear later this week if they still want to sell their house or not,…

Besides that work was agonizing!!! I had a headache at 8.30 am because of colleague who decided not to communicate and just pull my job away from me for their own glory…and not even doing it right… it boiled my blood…

Today will be an other bad day. I have (finally) my dentist appointment… and I really don’t want to go…besides this morning I had already the feeling that it would have been saver for me to stay in bed… the fact that Robsessed seems to be down is an other sign… I hope I survive this day…

Anyway,

Jaclyn, welcome back… I’m happy you had a great holiday. I love the islands as well, my favorite is La Palma as it has the nice green forests and all but I haven’t been to Tenerife yet. Somehow the islands really feel like a second home…you know you’ll always have a great time there.

Lynne, I wonder if they are looking at other fanfics as well to publish. Not only twilight fanfic but I know there are some great AU Harry Potter and THG fanfics out there.

Austin, I totally agree with you that Edward needs to be shown as a great fighter. He is. In eclipse I hated the fact that they showed Edward in trouble and Bella saving him. In the books Edward was never in trouble and Bella only cut herself because she thought Seth was in danger. I really hate it how they make Edward look weak and Jacob the hero…
Oh I saw you and Brenda trading drinking tips… is you ever see it, try “Safari”… I think it’s only available in Holland or at least Europe but maybe they export to the US. Try drinking it mixed with Cola first before drinking it on the Rocks… It’s been my favorite drink ever…

Sean, I can help you with that novel!!!!! Title: “Why fifty sucks… literally.”
Did you see the F1…. I was so bummed about Button’s car dying on us…

Susie, actually it was my bf’s idea to go to this new store for cat toys. We wanted to get him something that he could use as a safe house. Something that he felt protected in and warm in the winter… we bought him this tunnel with cushions in it… he loves it. Yes, that’s what you get when you don’t have kids. If it was a kid I’d probably spoil it rotten as well… I just can’t help it…

As it is 9/11 I feel the need to remember… I remember it as if it was yesterday. Coming home from my internship, my mom sitting on the sofa completely focused on the tv with my aunt panicking on the phone. She thought WW3 had started. It was just minutes after the first plane attacked… I kept telling them it was an accident, JFK airport is close by and an accident could easily happen. Until we all watched in horror as the second plane hit. For 5 days all we did was watching television, praying that George Bush wouldn’t start a 3rd WW. I remember being afraid of that…I can’t say I’m happy with the actions Mr. Bush took, the war in Iraq and Afghanistan caused too many lives for me to condone but I’m sure as hell am happy that he didn’t start a 3rd WW…
So today I remember…
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Well, I've got about 70 pages of this editing job left to go. I'm really hoping the guy pays me soon, as I'm getting very nervous about wasting my time.

Austin - yes it is frustrating. It's even worse when you know they're paying you directly for your work, and if they don't like it ...

Susie - yes, I guess it does happen to all of us from time to time. Wow, that's a very multicultural class you've got there. That would be fun!

Sean - it's 9/11 over here right now. However, Hubby and I didn't find out about what happened over there until the morning of the 12th.

marielle - hopefully that family will still sell their house for you! Yes, publishing houses are probably scouting fanfic sites, now that they know it's a cashcow.
Songbird
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Songbird »

Hi all...I'm so sorry if I forget anyone. I don't have word on this computer yet, so I have to try to remember the important points of everyone's posts and just type it here. I'll do my best.

Caryn, it's good to see you, even if it's not in blue! Welcome back...I hope things calm down for you so that you can come more often. I'm so sorry about your grandmother. That happens pretty often, doesn't it....when 2 people have been together for so long, it's hard for them when that person is gone.

Jaclyn, good to see you back! Glad you had a nice vacation. I've never been to the Canary Islands, though it's a popular vacation spot for Dutch people. I can't handle the heat and sun, so I don't see myself ever going there, but some people really LOVE it.

Susie, your class sounds great! How do they decide who will be in each class? Gosh darn it...I know I wanted to respond to something else, but I can't remember now what it was. Grrrr.

Marielle, nope, no mac. I can't use macs...SO confusing to me. I had one when I was teaching and couldn't do squat on it. So sorry about the house...I hope they decide to sell it!

Lynne, I'm sorry you paid too much for the license. But at least you have it now, and it's over with. You can't change it and we've all done something stupid like that at least once. As far as our house goes, yes, when it rains, it pours, but at least we have insurance. We have someone coming to look at the drainage system today....ours and the neighbors seem to be backed up. When they do laundry or dishes, water comes up in our system and vice versa. So hopefully THAT can be fixed, too.

Austin, yes, my munchkins crack me up every day.

Sean, I think it's important to remember Sept 11th. Perhaps YOU remember, but not everyone does, and we CAN'T be allowed to forget. That's how history repeats itself. And I think the victims appreciate that we remember their loss, that their loved ones didn't die in vain, and we're not ignoring their pain. And the media can't very well remind some people and not all...maybe, if it offends you, just avoid watching the tv today? Then you don't have to see it, but those who need it can.
Signature artwork by TammyAZ
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

Songbird: Just like with the deal with Kristen and Rob, I don't need to be reminded every 15 minutes of what happened on 9/11. I'm all for remembering what happened, but people forget anyways, and some don't/won't care. And I know how it feels--I don't need to be reminded that 11 years ago this morning that 3000 people died for no good reason, just like how on Dec. 7 I won't need to be reminded that 2500 people died for no good reason on 12/7/41 other than Fascist imperialism wanting to rule the world, just as Communist imperialism tried to do the same thing from 1945-90.

I'm for honoring and remembering those who died that day, but I'm not for reopening wounds that many people still have. I may not have lost loved ones that day, but I remember that day and still wish that it never happened. And of course, the media, like with K&R, tend to over do it with the coverage of such things when there's "news" happening now. And the aftermath of 9/11 certainly IMO didn't fix a lot of what's wrong with this world, either, and there are still whackjobs who believe it to be a conspiracy. Well, even Penn & Teller debunked a lot of that stuff. How bad does it have to be for them to be the voice of reason?

People should remember what happened, but we shouldn't dwell on it, or at least that's how I feel, considering that I do get depressed and emotional very easily, and there are quite a few people like that.

Everyone: Is there a place here to discuss fan fic and if so, where and what is usually talked about?
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

Hello folks!

Just a quick pop by while our tea is cooking. We are having pizza tonight - yum!

Did I mention I started to read THG? I can't remember LOL. Well, I'm about halfway through CF just now, and I am really really enjoying them! Much more than I expected! Didn't want to put it down last night, and looking forward to reading more tonight. So, once I'm finished, I will have to pop over to THG thread I think (there is one, isn't there?).

Anyway, just to say:

Susie - Your student always sound so exciting! Did your no show students turn up today? Has SonnyBoy started back at college yet? How is he enjoying his 2nd year so far?
Yep, I don't think too many Americans visit the Canary Islands, which is a shame cos they really are nice! I have been to Tenerife (a lot, 8 or 9 times LOL), Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura and Lanzarote. So just the couple smaller ones to visit and I would have done them all LOL.

Marielle - Sorry work is giving you a headache! Why did your colleaugue do that? Have you had any luck in finding a new job?
Btw, I am loving the pics of Garfield on fb!!
You can see La Palma from Tenerife on a clear day, which is pretty cool!

Lynne - When should the guy pay you? Once you're completely finished, or did he give you some before you started? I'm sure it will be fine! What's his book about?

Songbird - Hi there! Sorry to hear about the mold. I hope your insurance company is able to fix it up for you :)

Sean - I think people should mention that it is 9/11 today. It doesn't have to take over the news, but it is a valid news point for today. If no one mentioned it, I think that would be far worse - very disrspectful of those of died I think.

Need to go - pizza is ready!! :D

Bye!
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

There is something going around in my head...

"Today we remember, tomorrow we vote so it will never happen again"...
I guess there is something to say for having to vote tomorrow...

an other scary thing.
This morning the tram I normally take to work had an accident with 36 injured. more shocking the line number was 9 and was hit by a tram with line number 11.... How spooky is that on this day!!!!!
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Susie, sorry about the lingo. I played several years with my sister, her husband, and their daughter, so it was very mixed. My niece got married and now plays on her husband's team. My sister is out this season for an operation, so I'm currently on an all-men's team, and it is the only one I've been on. Other teams are usually mixed, and there are a few all-women's teams.

Handicapping is 90% of 200, but that can vary from league to league. If you had a 160 average, then you would be 40 points below 200. 90% of 40 is 36, and that would be your handicap. If you had a 120 average, then 200 - 120 = 80, and 90% of 80 is 72, the handicap. The handicap is added to the actual game played to see who won. Averages and handicaps are recalculated each week. This allows teams with low averages to actually compete against much better teams.

My handicap is 18 points. If I bowl a 200 my handicapped score is 218.

If a 120 average player with a 72 point handicap bowls a 150, then their handicapped score would be 222. Even though I bowled a better game, they would still beat me, at least on an individual basis. Each team has 4 players on it, so all of the games played are added together.

Marielle, BOTH times my wife and I bought a house the sellers waited until literally the very last minute to vacate, due to either a job situation or their own house moving situation. Very frustrating, as my wife is a clean freak and wanted both times to have at least a day for cleaning before everything got moved in. If these potential sellers had doubts, it's better for them to shut things down pronto instead of going forward.

I searched for "Safari". Is this the liqueur, mango, papaya, passion fruit? Sounds interesting, but I generally avoid sweet drinks. I occasionally make chocolate martinis during the winter for my wife and friends, but I make dirty martinis for myself.

Lynne, tell me more about this editing job. You say it is a bunch of trash. I get that, but what do you do when editing? Is this mostly grammar notations, or are you making comments along the way about the general story? You know, "this doesn't make sense here", "this is contradicted in an earlier chapter", "this is completely out of character", "this conversation makes no sense", etc.

To everyone,

I was going to say something about 9/11, but every time I start reading about United Airlines flight 93 and the heroes on board that plane I start weeping. It happens every time, I can't help it, it is so sad and yet they were so brave, their actions the epitome of what it means to be human. The emotions just swell up, the sadness and the fierce pride in what they did. They make me feel tall and proud and small and humble at the same time.

Todd Beamer's last words:

"Are you guys ready? Okay. Let's roll!"

God bless the heroes of 9/11, every one of them. God bless brave men and women everywhere.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

marielle wrote:This morning the tram I normally take to work had an accident with 36 injured. more shocking the line number was 9 and was hit by a tram with line number 11.... How spooky is that on this day!!!!!
Wow, that is pretty freaky!! Were you on the tram? There was a big accident on the main motorway here this morning too, but no numbers like that involved!
corona wrote:Todd Beamer's last words:

"Are you guys ready? Okay. Let's roll!"

God bless the heroes of 9/11, every one of them. God bless brave men and women everywhere.
Yes. Definately. For sure.
When we went to NY in April, we went to the 9/11 memorial. It made you feel a variety of emotions. Obviously, it was terribly sad - all the stories that you read, the pictures of what happened in the very spot you were standing it etc. But then, the new memorial garden also felt very peaceful. It's hard to explain. There is no way I could ever understand what they people felt on that day, or even what people who were in the city further uptown. It's a really scary thought. We should (and I am sure we won't) never forget.

-----

EDIT:
Meant to also say:
Sean - Yep, there is a ff discussion thread that can be found here. It's not as active as it used to be tho...

And also, how nice is it that Andy Murray won the US Open?! I'm so happy he finally got his Grand Slam!

Right, I'm off. Bye!
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!