Rob's Halfway House #11

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Re: Rob's Halfway House #11

Post by Chernaudi »

Hi everyone.

Just a quick message for now.

Jaclyn: I didn't mean to offend you, but 9/11 isn't something that I feel comfortable with wearing on my sleeve all the time. I still sometimes get emotional about that day, and sometimes thinking about it does open wounds for me from that day that I don't think will heal just from being "here" when it happened, and I do believe that a lot of you know what I'm talking about.

I will check out the FF thread, mostly because I'd like to discuss some of my fan fic there that I'm gonna start to resume writing soon.

Everyone: I got some steaks and a pizza. Gonna have the pizza tonight, because I have reason to celebrate--I have more hours at work starting in a couple of weeks.

I'll be back later :)
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

The last time I was here was last thread lol!

Doing this on my phone so I don't have time to go back and read. Had to stop by and say hi!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Songbird - Yes, now I'm just hoping the guys pays me, which will cover the cost of my mistake. If he doesn't pay me, my business is already running at a loss with no other jobs for the foreseeable future.

Jaclyn - he was supposed to pay me a deposit of$25 at the outset, but he said he was having trouble getting his online banking to work (and sometimes our bank does cause problems with that) so I started work anyway. But then, the deposit still didn't come. I emailed him and asked him what the problem was, and he said he was having trouble getting to a bank. I said, 'Okay, well if it's causing you a lot of trouble, maybe pay the whole amount when you go, and then I can send the file as soon as it's done.' He said, 'Okay' and I haven't heard from him since, so I have no reason to think he's going to pay me, but he sure as hell isn't getting the file unless he does. But, because he was shortlisted for a competition (however small), he seems to think he's onto a good thing, so I'm worried someone's talked to him about self publishing and he's going to decide he can just blaze ahead with his shortlisted material.

Austin - Yes, I make all those kinds of comments. I point out spelling and grammatical errors, point out things that I think are unconvincing, as well as sentences that don't make sense, and I cross out parts that I think are too long winded or that don't seem to work or advance the story. In this book there are many notations on every single page.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Planning a viewing of Remember Me tonight. I've done it the last two years and I plan to keep up the tradition as long as my DVD holds out.

Thank you all for your sweet thoughts for Grandma. Honestly, we expected it. But, as with Grandpa, it is never easy to see. I was okay at Grandpa's funeral until my grandmother arrived. She thought Grandpa was her father and kept calling him Da. Eventually, she was able to remember who he was, but still seemed unable to process the whole thing. No, I don't see her lasting much longer. But, we'll take it a day at a time.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
lulu
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lulu »

hello!

it's been a loooong time since i've been here, but at susie's suggestion, i decided to make an effort again. thank you, susie! i wish i had time to write like i used to, but it always took me about 2 hours to read all the posts and sufficiently reply. unfortunately, i can't do that anymore so please don't be offended if i can't keep up with specifics. i'll post mega-posts when i can though.

anyway, i can't tell if i'm excited it's september or sad that november is so close! i can't wait to see bd2, but i don't want it to end! i suppose the end is a good thing though. i learn and grow when i'm forced to do new things. besides, i think we've made long term friends here (at least i keep up consistently on Facebook!), so I'm pretty sure we'll still stay connected. :)

well my only update here is babyboy turned 2 a couple of weeks ago. so fun! he's such a doll. i made him and his friends super hero capes: superman, captain america, and batman. they're obviously not professional but so cute!

ok, babyboy is squirming in my arms, i'm off!

Edit:
caryn, my condolences. i know it was time for her but still. by the way. was she scottish or irish? isn't that how they say "dad"?

Edit again:
ooo, p.s. don't want to stir up negativity here, this is just an observation. i noticed with the OTR premiere that kristen's makeup was done in a way to highlight youthful looks--very faint mascara, filled in eyebrows... i'm sure that was with a purpose: emphasizing youth and trying to win back some fans maybe? like i said, just interesting, i'm not saying she shouldn't have done that or anything. please don't take this as an opportunity to open bad wounds! do you guys agree with my assumption?
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

That's how I write the date on the board every day in my Adult ESL class. I used to not even think about it, but one year about five years ago, one of my students looked at the board and started crying. It was very unexpected. I didn't know that she had been living in New York om 9/11. So today I mentioned the date and asked if anyone had any special memories. (keep in mind that they are all immigrants and many weren't in the U.S. yet) Everyone knew exactly what they were doing on that day. And me? I had my job interview for the teaching job I have right now just two hours after the towers collapsed. It was surreal. We didn't know if we should cancel or not. The interview went on as scheduled and I was offered the job on the spot. So it was a day of mixed emotions for me - I was very happy to finally have a job after finishing my teaching license, but couldn't really celebrate that fact. Also, the students were really scared and the Somali women who cover their heads started to get harassed when they went out in public.

Caryn - I hope your Grandma doesn't have to suffer much. Good idea to watch RM.

Marielle - Wow. That's so creepy about that tram accident! I'm so glad you weren't on that tram. Sorry about the house! That is so frustrating! That must not have been the house meant for you. Just keep on looking.

Austin
- I really appreciate your thoughts on 9/11. Your bowling sounds fun. With my bad back and knees, it hurts me just to think of it. I remember enjoying it when I was much younger, although I wasn't very good.

Lulu - Hooray! Thanks for stopping by!! Happy Birthday to BabyBoy (ToddlerBoy??)

Jaclyn - Sonny Boy started classes last Wednesday and he likes his classes and his dorm room and roommate, so all is good. Let's keep our fingers crossed for good grades - he really needs them to keep one of his scholarships. His choir is touring England and Wales in January. (I'm not going to go, though) My class - one of the no shows came. I spoke to a couple on the phone and they are coming next week. Some of the others probably have changed their minds. There is no cost for our program so we get a lot of people who register but then don't come.

JennJenn - Nice to see you! How are you feeling? Do you have a lot of morning sickness?

Sean
- Yay for getting steaks! I love beef! Are you going to grill the steaks? Pan fry or broil?? Congrats on getting more hours at your job.

Lynne - 70 pages left! That sounds grueling. I guess I wouldn't be cut out for that kind of work. You must get headaches doing it.

I'm fighting a virus, so I'd better go to bed now!

Nighty Night!
older_twilight_fan
Lusting for Blood
Location: Somewhere in Louisiana, praying that Summit won't "fade to black" in Breaking Dawn

Post by older_twilight_fan »

Hello everyone~ I've missed all of you, but been lurking as always. I apologize for my lack of recent posting. I seem to have such a difficult time not making a mega post, as I love to respond to everyone's messages. I'll just try to make a medium size post, and see how that works. :D I've been busy with work, church stuff, and various after school activities for the kids. I'm also trying to get back into shape with exercise and slightly healthier eating habits (which had gone by the wayside for far too long, as the extra ten or twelve pounds I've gained will attest). My daughter and I will be participating in a 5-K run on October 5th to raise money for a coworker whose five-year-old son was diagnosed with Duchenne's Muscular Dystrophy about two years ago....a terribly debilitating disease. It's nice to have a goal to help get my booty back in gear a bit.

Lynne~ How much closer are you to finishing the editing job, and is it still just as tedious and irritating? I had meant to watch some of the Paralympics myself, and find it sad that it receives so little coverage.

Susie~ I hope you're still enjoying the advanced class and am sure many of your students were happy to have you as their teacher, again. I'm glad to hear SonnyBoy has a nice roommate and hope he continues to adjust well his sophomore year. What sorts of classes will he be taking this semester? Will it be mostly the general pre-requisite courses? Thanks so much for giving me the gentle nudge I needed to get back here, and for leaving the light on for some of the more wayward posters, like myself. ;)

Brenda~ How is work? Will you able to buy the Twilight die-cast cars? Are they models of Bella's truck, the silver Volvo, the Guardian, etc.? Do they follow the "book" cars, or the "movie" cars? In other words...will you be purchasing a soccer-mom-mobile Volvo SUV? :lol:

Marielle~ Sorry that Sunday (I think?) was such a downer of a day for you, and hope the rest of the week is better. How was the dentist, and how is your headache?

Lulu~ Great to see you as always. I can't believe that BabyBoy turned 2! I'm sure you all had a wonderful time celebrating, and I hope all is going swimmingly with the family business.

Caryn~ I hope you enjoyed your viewing of Remember Me tonight...what a poignant way to honor this day. I was actually thinking earlier today that Tyler (if he wasn't a fictional character), would have been thirty-four years old this year. :( I'm so sorry about all that you're going through with your grandma. Please know that you and your family will continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. I hope you also have a chance to catch your breath somewhere in your crazy, busy, real life schedule. Won't you have a huge conference to plan, right around the time of the BD Part 2 premiere and pre-promtional blitz?

Songbird~ I'm glad to hear the kiddos are adjusting well to school and making friends...that's always a relief. Sorry you're having to deal with the mold issues and know that can affect your health. Will insurance help cover the cleaning, etc.? Enjoy your new laptop, and congrats in advance to your brother and hubs.

Sean~ You might enjoy perusing the fanfiction discussion thread, as others have pointed out to you. It's been fairly quiet of late, but certainly hit it's heyday with the release of amazing Twi-fanfiction like Wide Awake, Clipped Wings and Inked Armor.... just to name a few. I'm glad you're enjoying at least one of your jobs and that things seem to be going well for you just now.

Jaclyn~ I'm glad you and hubs enjoyed your wonderful vacation....it looks like such a gorgeous place. I was hoping Andy Roddick might win the U.S. Open, since he announced his retirement. But I'm thrilled for Andy Murray too....an Olympic Gold Medal and the U.S. Open in the same year!

Austin~ I appreciated your words about 9/11, particularly the heroes on United Flight 93. I can't imagine what that would have been like, especially for those who were able to communicate to their families what they were about to do. I can't think about any aspect of that day (and the heroes who are too many to name) without tearing up, still. I was just about nine months pregnant with my son at the time (his birthday is September 27, 2001), and it's always a little surreal to think that he was born into the world on the cusp of such remarkable change for us all.

Jenn Jenn~ and anyone else I've missed~ Hello to you, too!
Banner by TammyAZ
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Halleluja!!! Robsessed is back online!!!!
Though the girls are too busy fixing everything to upload much goodies…

Today it’s voting day in Holland. I still don’t know what to vote and I’m kind of feeling a bit strange about the whole voting thing… it’s like they give you the illusion of having the freedom to vote, whilst you actually can only vote for how much tax you want to pay…and even in that you don’t have much to choose. I know this is the only way to keep a stable society but it isn’t freedom… even we aren’t really free anymore… (sorry for the depressing start of the day)…

Okay, positive news, my dentist appointment went well… the new dentist is as good as the old one…which is a huge relieve!!!

Is anyone re-reading BD before the premiere???

Lynne, yeah, I hope that they call this week and still want to sell their house. I really liked it. Though I’m not sure if we are buying it…we have to see… today I’m going to contact the realtor about an other house. It isn’t in the area we would like but we want to check it out anyway…even if it’s just to eliminate that part of town…

Susan, I have my mac now for a few months and I love it…it’s so fast…sometimes Mac and I don’t agree and that causes issues but according to my bf that’s because of my lack in patience…
Hey, is your floor done?

Sean, I think for our generation 9/11 will always stay a special day… we won’t forget until we are too demented to remember… I think for the kids now it will be like how we feel about WW2, we know it was horrible and that we never should repeat it but we don’t have a real feeling with it…

Jaclyn, my co-workers (from the other countries mainly) think that when your job title is assistant it means that you are everybody’s slave…and of non importance…they think they are better than you and know more…they just forget that I finished school as well.
I really want a new job but it’s hard at the moment to find something…
No I wasn’t on the tram. I took the car to work as I had to go to the dentist. Normally I would have been a few hours earlier…

Austin, in Holland there are a lot of documentaries on tv about flight 93. I’m always in awe that they did something. At least they tried. If anyone they are the true heroes of the attacks…people should morn them and remember them…
Yes, Safari is a really sweet drink…I love most sweet drinks but they can cause major headaches the next day… that’s why many people mix them with orange juice or Cola.

Hey, Jenn!!!!

Caryn, I’m so sorry. It must have been very painful to see that your grandma just can’t seem to grasp that her husband is dead…I hope she finds peace soon…

Lucinda, it’s okay to talk about Kstew here. Yes her make up was different than normal but I think they did it to make her look fresh. With too much make up she would have looked really tired and slightly ill…
I’m with you on the November coming too soon feeling… I don’t want the saga to be over… but it isn’t as bad as I had it with HP… that last movie did us all in… al my friends were crying because it was the end…

Susie, thanks for urging everybody back here…
It’s strange that the whole world seems to remember what they were doing on 8.45 on the 11th of September 11 years ago… nobody forgets…
I’m just hoping that the house will be on sale soon again… the realtor promised to call us when he knew more…

Tracy, the dentist appointment went well though my gum hurts like hell and is causing major headache… nothing some painkillers can’t cure right now…Since my visit to the therapist last week my headache is less. It’s just my muscles being a pain …
Bog thumbs up for getting back in shape… lately I’m too busy to stop by the gym… it’s just with all the houses looking and appointments I’m going crazy… I hope I can play tennis at least once this week…

Okay, I’m still a bit hazy…I had this great, romantic dream and I’m still fuzzy and warm from that… I’m fighting to hold on to it till work is done to get me through the day…

I’ll see you all later!!!
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

Hello sibs!

Not so much new stuff going on in my life right now. Went for a walk tonight with hubs. Bought a lottery ticket for the Wednesday drawing, in hopes of winning $20 mil and being able to get us all to LA for the premiere. (Cost, plus being able to say to hubs: look, even after taxes we still have $7 million - I can throw a party if I want.) Following BD2 news and waiting for them to announce marathons, Amy, Joyce, Lulu! Being completely owned by tara sue me's Submissive, Dominant, Training. I no longer have any words at all for inferior BDSM Twific. Felt like Lexing and came here, natch, and realized:

Happy Hump Day! Since I really can't post on Wednesday because I work a 12 hour shift.

Austin - Bailey's is one of my fave drinks. I like the sweet - I don't like the taste of alcohol. And yes, I have sometimes drank too much that way, but that was usually in college. Funny how I cut back on my drinking after I hit 21! I don't think I've had a chocolate martini, but I have had Godiva liqueur ... mmm. Next time I'm out, I'll see if I can get a chocolate martini. Let me know about the Havarti re-encounter. Boy, liquor and cheese, pretty sophisticated crowd here at the HH. Oh, and about me saying it was a beach house - typically (at least lately) when we get a new thread the moderator who opens it or a member puts up a picture of the current incarnation of the Halfway House, and I think the most recent variation is the vacation house on Isle Esme. We decorate and add on in the early posts of the new thread. Go check it out ... if you can stand the Robcrack :twisted: This time I think house decoration was cut off early by Cheatgate (I think I got that from Caryn)>

Caryn - Family don't demote family. Nuff said. (Oh, and luffs!) I'm sorry about your grandmother, it happened that way for my grandfather-in-law. I think people who lose their partner when they have little ones, live for the kids; but when even your grandkids are grown, and your partner and so many others have already gone, there is less interest in sticking around here. Shift back to the trailer - yes, Garrett, swoon. I didn't get it from the stills, not until I saw him in action. Laura's blog post of the fansite Bill interview says that Bill thought Lee was perfect for Garrett, and easy to cast.

Jaclyn - Welcome back! Beautiful pic of Teide, and Tenerife sounds wonderful, thanks for explaining. Glad you had a good time!

Lulu - Hi honey! Maybe Kris's makeup was to make her look younger. I just thought she looked tired, and maybe a bit thinner.

Lynne - Regarding good covers, as someone who has lingered over many, many book covers; take a tip from Kris and think about what style of art would well reflect the content of your book. It's YA, right, more a teen audience? So something more abstract than HP, where the cover tells a scene from the story, but still colorful and engaging, like Hourglass. Do you think it would be equally appealing to boys and girls? How about a retro 50's-looking sci-fi-y cover? How about a sleek modernistic cover? Maybe an Impressionist style? How much influence do you have over the cover art? And of course, you want to give the artist some freedom, since they might have a brillant idea. Stress, I know, but fun too! Regarding the edit of the guy's book; well, it's your honest opinion. Everybody has different tastes. Is there anything contractual about getting your money back if you don't like the edit job?

Marielle - I am glad you were not on your usual tram! Thanks for the shirt update. Definitely crawling after what, 6 weeks? It does sound like she is sending a message - something like, fine, you won't take my texts, but I'm still wearing your shirt. I only know to hope that they are both able to move into whatever happy will be for them. If the conservatives in our countries take over and send us home to clean and cook, we will band together and start an Internet revolution! And write smutty fic on the side.

Sean - 9/11 has to be remembered. Hope that it is remembered well, and if you want, just ignore everything that day. Better yet, use it as a refreshing media-free day, and if people ask you can say that it is your way of marking 9/11. I tend to avoid it myself. I cried my eyes out for 2 days when it happened, and on and off for a long time after, and find that since I remember well without a memorial, it's just more comfortable for me to not listen to the tearjerking on the media when it is just tearjerking.

Songbird - Yuck, mold. My BiL's girlfriend's house just got mold - and they just moved in. Good luck with that, and I hope insurance will cover it. Are you allergic to mold? Sounds like the kids are having a cute time! No, I haven't heard of "friend books" here, but it's a heck of a good idea, maybe I will start a craze here. Anything that gets them to write is good. Congratulations on your loss of inches! That's better than weight loss any day.

Susie - For any major event, remote parking and free ride is Da Bomb. And the alcohol erased any worries I might have had, including about the lactose :) Seriously, a little milk here and there is ok. Have fun with your new/old students this year!

Tracy - Meh, work is work. I did just get offered a permanent position, so that will be more stable. Sean originally posted a link about these die-cast cars last spring, and they are supposed to be out soon. The pics of Bella's truck look great. I think they follow the movie, actually, which is a shame, because I'd love to have the Aston Martin. If that Volvo's not silver and not a sporty 4-seater, I may avoid it. No SUVs!

Hi Jenn Jenn, and anyone else I missed!
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Wow! There are people here!

Well, I got to work today and my boss told me that her husband has just lost his job. The new state government has been cutting back in public service positions and his entire department lost their jobs. He does have a few options, though, as he is in a very specialised field (he is an etymologist ... think that's how it's spelled). So there's a good chance he'll get another job fairly quickly, but his income supports out little publishing house, so we're hoping he won't be out of work long. Please pray. I know God has it all in hand, and I believe he will help us move forward with this.

Caryn - that's a great idea, watching Remember Me on September 11. I'll have to remember that for next year. I'm sorry to hear your grandma is going downhill. Even if it was expected, it's hard, especially so soon after your grandad.

lulu - two is a nice age with kids! Little Man didn't really have the terrible twos. He's more disobedient now he's six than he was then!

Susie - it has been exhausting. I haven't been able to face it today, because I have been massively busy.

Tracy - it gets better in some places, then bad again. Sometimes he does things that leave me shaking my head.

marielle - It doesn't usually matter too much who you vote for. Every politician will break promises and every politician will do something you don't like. Although some are better than others, it's often hard to tell the difference!

Brenda - the book is YA, sci-fi and romance. Colour is a major theme, as is painting and the season of Fall. Our only real restriction is budget, but there are some good people available online now. Any suggestions will be welcomed.