Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
xxxjanebeexxx
Settled in Forks

Re: Edward Cullen #2

Post by xxxjanebeexxx »

EVERYONE EDWERD IS MINE SO DONT EVEN FANCY HIM EITHER COS HE IS MINE HE EVEN TOLD ME HE LUVZ ME U CAN FANCY HIM BUT HE WILL NEVER GO OUT WITH ANY1 ELSE BUT ME COZ AM SEXY AND EVERY1 ELSE ISNT HE DUMPED BELLE COS I WOZ WELL NICER THN HER SO BACK OFF EVERYONE EDWERD IS MINE XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
EDWERD SO MUCG
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
HE'S MINE SO BACK OFF
I LOVE HIM AM HIS NUMBA 1 FAN
EDWERDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
HE IS HOT
EDWERD + JANE 4EVA
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
JANE LUVS EDWERD XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXX
twilight1909
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by twilight1909 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:well, no matter what Cocoa or SM says, that's wrong. and if you think that it's ok for some boy to decide who you do or do not talk to or have a friendship with, i wish you the best, good luck.
How can you possibly compare a normal relationship to one involving werewolves and vampires? Edward's issue wasn't just "oh, I don't want you spending time with Jacob," it was primarily about Bella's safety. If we lived in a world where those things really existed and threatened the ones we loved...well, relationships would be a lot more complicated. Especially if you fell in love with danger, and danger wanted to keep you safe.

Under those circumstances, I don't think it's necessarily "wrong" for someone who is so deeply in love to do everything within their power to keep you out of harm's way. Or at least what that person perceives as harmful. Even so, Edward knew where to draw the line.
But sending Bella away from his protection to werewolves who can easily lose their temper while lethal vampires are tracking her...of course Edward had a problem with it. Of course he told her he could not allow that. It's the same dynamic between a parent and their child. Since you say that love cannot be easily differentiated (I disagree), this comparison is applicable. A parent will "disallow" their child to do things, even if the child knows everything will be fine, because the parent is too grieved even by the thought of something bad happening. So they CONTROL the situation with good intent. If that's wrong to you, then I say good luck to you as well. That's also why it's important to acknowledge the fact that Edward became so trusting of Bella in this situation. I think it says a lot about his character, considering how pragmatic he is.

I just do not see this as such a black and white issue...good or bad, right or wrong. You have to consider all of the variables. There's a lot of gray area here.
Last edited by twilight1909 on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:ok malaz. it's a simple question of definitions and logic, whether or not he was controlling bella, but if you refuse to listen to reason, fine.

but in eclipse, he said, when bella tried to explain:

"i understand what you're saying, but [b]i still can't allow you to go there[/b]"

i simply cannot see how you can't see that that is a controlling statement. he's saying that he is in charge of her and he has a right to determine where she does and does not go. what are you not understanding about that?
I find it funny that you accuse Esme Echo of not tolerating criticizm against bella and instead tell you why you're wrong. and then you're doing the same thing here that you accuse her of. (pardon me Esme Echo. i am not saying you're did that. just an errant)

see, that's not what he's saying AT ALL. he's saying, "i am sorry to say this. it's cruel i suppose. i can't tolerate you going to see a werewolf because you will put yourself in danger, and that makes me incredibly anxious. I've almost lost you before and you don't know how it was like" and bella understands that. both she and him know that Edward's only concern is her safety and they both know, that his concern for bella overpowers his logical thinking.
Edward NEVER thought that he is in charge of her and he isn't and he will never be and doesn't want to be. he says "i am not your father. thank heaven for that" nor does he ever want to control her within his wishes.
i really think this really only annoys you because it relates to jacob, and to me it sounds that's how you view the situation, like jacob.
Dolcedoll89
Settled in Forks

Post by Dolcedoll89 »

I am new here so I am really sorry if I repeat something that was already said. I tried to look it up through the search but nothing came up. Anyway, from the begging of the series I was curious why Stephenie named Edward, Edward, while searching the net I came up with this idea. Edward was born in 1901, right? and the period from 1901-1910 is called Edwardian era. Any coincidence with the name and the era? what do you think?

XX,

Agnes
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Esme echo wrote:I have a lot of empathy for how Edward handled his problems (primarily, keeping Bella alive) because I suspect I would have done the same things if I were in his place! And been guilty of the same faults. In my mind, the two most heinous examples of Edward's controlling/poor communication/poor judgment were 1) when he broke up with Bella in New Moon and 2) when he dismantled her truck to prevent her from seeing Jacob in Eclipse. The whole "kidnapping Bella" idea runs a close third.

[HOFJ, I want you to notice here that I'm not excusing my beloved Edward's faults! :lol: ]
holdingoutforjacob wrote:i guess to be more general, what bugs me about edward is that he thinks he is always right, he doesn't consider anyone else's opinions, nor does he listen to them.
I think this is very true. BUT, Edward is a principle-driven man. He finds a principle and he sticks to it! He also overreacts and loses sight of the bigger picture--especially concerning relationships, in which he is inexperienced and somewhat unskilled.

Edward had the very admirable determination to protect Bella's life. He tapped all his experience and focus to meet that goal. Unfortunately, in trying to control the events surrounding Bella, he began to smother her, and he didn't realize it until Bella's reckless (in Edward's opinion) behavior forced him to reevaluate the effectiveness of his strategy. Edward's principle-driven behavior is one of the things I love about him, but in the early pages of both New Moon and Eclipse he shows us clearly what happens when principles are blindly pursued without regard for circumstances or the feelings of others.
But remember Esme echo, she did not mind the 'kidnapping' part as long as he was the one doing the kidnapping. :D

I agree totally with your assessment of Edward. When he finally realized that he was driving Bella to do dangerous stunts like sneaking off to see Jacob, he backed off. He did listen to her when she needed to reason with him on things. At first he 'bucked' against her arguments because I think he was jealous of that relationship - a relationship that he himself made possible by his erroneous actions in New Moon. He screwed up and admitted that in Eclipse. His theatrical tendencies made this whole mess possible and he is clearly paying the price for that.

I also agree that he is deep down a principled driven man - stubborn too. But so is Bella. She really believed she could have both Jacob on one level and Edward on a deeper level. This was impossible at the time because both men loved her and not to mention that one was vampire and the other werewolf/shape-shifter; mortal enemies.

Look, we all have done some pretty dumb things when emotions get in the way. But note this, Bella understood Edward and why he acted and reacted the way he did. In the end, that was all that mattered.
Edward can and could be reasoned with, he truly was frightened of loosing her again, this time not by his actions, but by hers and others. He learned from his mistakes and did not repeat them.

Faults and all, Edward, to me, is a great guy all around. When a man can 'fess up' to screwing up and change his ways, that tells me alot about his character - not too many people much less men can do that and SM showed us that Edward redeemed himself quite well. Just my thoughts. :)
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
edward4ever

Post by edward4ever »

Dolcedoll89 wrote:I am new here so I am really sorry if I repeat something that was already said. I tried to look it up through the search but nothing came up. Anyway, from the begging of the series I was curious why Stephenie named Edward, Edward, while searching the net I came up with this idea. Edward was born in 1901, right? and the period from 1901-1910 is called Edwardian era. Any coincidence with the name and the era? what do you think?
XX,
Agnes
Well Dolcedoll89, in case you didn't notice from the posts around yours, you dropped you question right in the middle of a bees nest!! I plucked it out of there before it got lost in the hive! :lol: Anyway, while they are "discussing" their issues over Edward's controlling behavior, I'll give you my answer to your question.

Your Edwardian era theory is a really good one! SM mentions on her website (have you been there yet? Good place to go for a lot of answers), that she wanted to pick names that not only aren't as popular in todays times but were popular when each vampire was born. I don't think she mentions the Edwardian era in her explanations which, if she didn't know it was, then it is very very interesting that she picked "Edward". It makes this story that much more mystical for me! Thank you for pointing that out to me! It makes me love Edward even more than I did 5 minutes ago!! :lol:
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!
edward4ever

Post by edward4ever »

This is long (sorry) so if you read nothing else...read the last paragraph... I'm hoping that someone posts a comment above my last one before I post this one so that I don't double post but I just HAVE to throw my "two cents" in over the "controlling Edward" theories!

I think, initially, Edward was being protective of Bella because he is not allowed in La Push and Alice cannot see into the werewolf's mind so he cannot know that Bella is safe there. He knows how volatile a young werewolf is. Any anger or stress that a young werewolf feels can send them uncontrollably into their werewolf form and Edward thinks that if Jacob turns into a werewolf in front of Bella he will kill her.

NM pg 559: "My answer sent Jacob into near convulsions. He pressed his fists hard against his temples, closing his eyes tight and curling in on himself as he tried to control the spasms. His face turned sallow green under the russet skin.
'Jake? You okay?' I asked anxiously.
I took a half-step toward him, then Edward caught me and yanked me back behind his own body. 'Careful! He's not under control,' he warned me."

EC pg 28: Edward says... "'You know it's out of the question for you to be around a werewolf unprotected, Bella. And it would break the treaty if any of us cross over onto their land. Do you want us to start a war?'"
EC pg 30: Edward says..."'Werewolves are unstable. Sometimes, the people near them get hurt. Sometimes, they get killed.'"
EC pg 33: "'I don't know how to phrase this properly,' Edward said, and his tone was bleak. 'It's going to sound cruel, I suppose. But I've come too close to losing you in the past. I know what it feels like to think I have. I am not going to tolerate anything dangerous.'"
EC pg 63: Edward says..."'[Alice] got nervous when your future rather abruptly disappeared five minutes ago.'...'Because she can't see the wolves, you know,...When you decide to mingle you fate with theirs, you disappear, too. ...can you understand why that might make me a little...anxious?'"

But then, later on, I think the need to keep her alive was also mixed with jealousy. Although protecting her from danger was his main concern, I think jealousy clouded his judgment a little. Edward had no idea at the time what jealousy felt like. He'd seen actor's portray it in movies and on stage, but he had no idea how strong that emotion could be. Only when Bella points it out to him after one of her mad dashes to La Push does he realize it and then relaxes his position on her visits to La Push.

EC pg 143: Bella says..."'Is this really just about my safety?'...'I mean, you know better than to be jealous, right?' He raised one eyebrow. 'Do I?'"
EC pg 190: Edward's epiphany..."'I decided that you were right. My problem before was more about my...prejudice against werewolves than anything else. I'm going to try to be more reasonable and trust your judgment. If you say it's safe, then I'll believe you.
'...I'm not willing to let this drive a wedge between us.'"

Problem over. A controlling boyfriend would NOT be able to see things logically. The situation would only get more and more out of control. So....my conclusion...Edward is not controlling. He is merely trying to keep Bella alive and he thinks that Jacob is too volatile to control himself. When he realizes that Jacob CAN control himself, Edward backs off. A controlling boyfriend WOULD NOT back off!
Last edited by edward4ever on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

edward4ever wrote:
Dolcedoll89 wrote:I am new here so I am really sorry if I repeat something that was already said. I tried to look it up through the search but nothing came up. Anyway, from the begging of the series I was curious why Stephenie named Edward, Edward, while searching the net I came up with this idea. Edward was born in 1901, right? and the period from 1901-1910 is called Edwardian era. Any coincidence with the name and the era? what do you think?
XX,
Agnes
Well Dolcedoll89, in case you didn't notice from the posts around yours, you dropped you question right in the middle of a bees nest!! I plucked it out of there before it got lost in the hive! :lol: Anyway, while they are "discussing" their issues over Edward's controlling behavior, I'll give you my answer to your question.

Your Edwardian era theory is a really good one! SM mentions on her website (have you been there yet? Good place to go for a lot of answers), that she wanted to pick names that not only aren't as popular in todays times but were popular when each vampire was born. I don't think she mentions the Edwardian era in her explanations which, if she didn't know it was, then it is very very interesting that she picked "Edward". It makes this story that much more mystical for me! Thank you for pointing that out to me! It makes me love Edward even more than I did 5 minutes ago!! :lol:
yeah, i agree. i think she also wanted to pick out a classy, turn of the century name. my favourite period. i really like that she chose Edward. it's romantic and it fits perfectly. to be honest, before reading about Edward Cullen. i thought that name Edward was goofy and funny. it sounded funny too. but then i read twilight and that changed everything. for the better, at least.
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

I'm just going to jump into the discussion here quickly.

One notable difference between Cocoa's story and the Jacob situation with Edward and Bella is that Cocoa asked her husband to stop seeing the other girl, she did not make him stop. Edward on the other hand, did not ask her to stop seeing Jacob he refused to let her go to the point where he had his siblings hold her hostage and dismantled her truck. It was controlling behavior at that point because he did not give Bella a choice or request that she stay away from Jacob and the werewolves but forcefully prevented her from doing so.
twilight1909 wrote:
How can you possibly compare a normal relationship to one involving werewolves and vampires? Edward's issue wasn't just "oh, I don't want you spending time with Jacob," it was primarily about Bella's safety. If we lived in a world where those things really existed and threatened the ones we loved...well, relationships would be a lot more complicated. Especially if you fell in love with danger, and danger wanted to keep you safe.

Under those circumstances, I don't think it's necessarily "wrong" for someone who is so deeply in love to do everything within their power to keep you out of harm's way. Or at least what that person perceives as harmful. Even so, Edward knew where to draw the line.
Yes, Jacob and the other werewolves were dangerous but how was Edward any better? He himself stated time and time again how easily he could slip up and crush her skull by mistake, he is just as much a threat to Bella's safety as the werewolves. Nor was Bella going off to meet her death everytime she visited Jacob, there was certainly a potential risk but she wasn't in any imminent danger and needed to be protected.
twilight1909 wrote:But sending Bella away from his protection to werewolves who can easily lose their temper while lethal vampires are tracking her...of course Edward had a problem with it. Of course he told her he could not allow that. It's the same dynamic between a parent and their child. Since you say that love cannot be easily differentiated (I disagree), this comparison is applicable. A parent will "disallow" their child to do things, even if the child knows everything will be fine, because the parent is too grieved even by the thought of something bad happening. So they CONTROL the situation with good intent. If that's wrong to you, then I say good luck to you as well. That's also why it's important to acknowledge the fact that Edward became so trusting of Bella in this situation. I think it says a lot about his character, considering how pragmatic he is.
The problem with Edward preventing Bella from seeing Jacob like a parent telling their child not to do something is that Edward is not Bella's parent, they're supposed to be in a equal relationship (or as equal as it can be considering their circumstances). He has no right to control what she does or where she goes even if it is with good intentions. Now, regarding intentions generally I do not think that they can excuse a person's actions. Even if someone does something with the best of intentions it does not change what they did (assuming that it was a wrongful action).

When he realized the error in his behavior and backed off is interesting because I've seen good arguments on both sides. There are some who say that he realized that what he was doing was wrong and was hurting Bella and so made the change in behavior while I've seen other arguments that say he made the change because he realized that his behavior wasn't working in keeping Bella away from Jacob so he changed tactics. I think it's a bit subjective though in deciding which one is true.

Malaz: It is a very elegant name but the one thing I never understood was how it was an unusual name, same for the name Alice. They're both quite common names so it never made sense to me why Bella thought they were unusual. :?
Last edited by Auctorita on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

malaz wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:ok malaz. it's a simple question of definitions and logic, whether or not he was controlling bella, but if you refuse to listen to reason, fine.

but in eclipse, he said, when bella tried to explain:

"i understand what you're saying, but [b]i still can't allow you to go there[/b]"

i simply cannot see how you can't see that that is a controlling statement. he's saying that he is in charge of her and he has a right to determine where she does and does not go. what are you not understanding about that?
I find it funny that you accuse Esme Echo of not tolerating criticizm against bella and instead tell you why you're wrong. and then you're doing the same thing here that you accuse her of. (pardon me Esme Echo. i am not saying you're did that. just an errant)

see, that's not what he's saying AT ALL. he's saying, "i am sorry to say this. it's cruel i suppose. i can't tolerate you going to see a werewolf because you will put yourself in danger, and that makes me incredibly anxious. I've almost lost you before and you don't know how it was like" and bella understands that. both she and him know that Edward's only concern is her safety and they both know, that his concern for bella overpowers his logical thinking.
Edward NEVER thought that he is in charge of her and he isn't and he will never be and doesn't want to be. he says "i am not your father. thank heaven for that" nor does he ever want to control her within his wishes.
i really think this really only annoys you because it relates to jacob, and to me it sounds that's how you view the situation, like jacob.
Very good Malaz your finally seeing it.
edward4ever wrote:This is long (sorry) so if you read nothing else...read the last paragraph... I'm hoping that someone posts a comment above my last one before I post this one so that I don't double post but I just HAVE to throw my "two cents" in over the "controlling Edward" theories!

I think, initially, Edward was being protective of Bella because he is not allowed in La Push and Alice cannot see into the werewolf's mind so he cannot know that Bella is safe there. He knows how volatile a young werewolf is. Any anger or stress that a young werewolf feels can send them uncontrollably into their werewolf form and Edward thinks that if Jacob turns into a werewolf in front of Bella he will kill her.

NM pg 559: "My answer sent Jacob into near convulsions. He pressed his fists hard against his temples, closing his eyes tight and curling in on himself as he tried to control the spasms. His face turned sallow green under the russet skin.
'Jake? You okay?' I asked anxiously.
I took a half-step toward him, then Edward caught me and yanked me back behind his own body. 'Careful! He's not under control,' he warned me."

EC pg 28: Edward says... "'You know it's out of the question for you to be around a werewolf unprotected, Bella. And it would break the treaty if any of us cross over onto their land. Do you want us to start a war?'"
EC pg 30: Edward says..."'Werewolves are unstable. Sometimes, the people near them get hurt. Sometimes, they get killed.'"
EC pg 33: "'I don't know how to phrase this properly,' Edward said, and his tone was bleak. 'It's going to sound cruel, I suppose. But I've come too close to losing you in the past. I know what it feels like to think I have. I am not going to tolerate anything dangerous.'"
EC pg 63: Edward says..."'[Alice] got nervous when your future rather abruptly disappeared five minutes ago.'...'Because she can't see the wolves, you know,...When you decide to mingle you fate with theirs, you disappear, too. ...can you understand why that might make me a little...anxious?'"

But then, later on, I think the need to keep her alive was also mixed with jealousy. Although protecting her from danger was his main concern, I think jealousy clouded his judgment a little. Edward had no idea at the time what jealousy felt like. He'd seen actor's portray it in movies and on stage, but he had no idea how strong that emotion could be. Only when Bella points it out to him after one of her mad dashes to La Push does he realize it and then relaxes his position on her visits to La Push.

EC pg 143: Bella says..."'Is this really just about my safety?'...'I mean, you know better than to be jealous, right?' He raised one eyebrow. 'Do I?'"
EC pg 190: Edward's epiphany..."'I decided that you were right. My problem before was more about my...prejudice against werewolves than anything else. I'm going to try to be more reasonable and trust your judgment. If you say it's safe, then I'll believe you.
'...I'm not willing to let this drive a wedge between us.'"

Problem over. A controlling boyfriend would NOT be able to see things logically. The situation would only get more and more out of control. So....my conclusion...Edward is not controlling. He is merely trying to keep Bella alive and he thinks that Jacob is too volatile to control himself. When he realizes that Jacob CAN control himself, Edward backs off. A controlling boyfriend WOULD NOT back off!
Yes it might be long but you make very good point. This is what others have stated in several posts in these many pages.
navarre wrote:
Esme echo wrote:I have a lot of empathy for how Edward handled his problems (primarily, keeping Bella alive) because I suspect I would have done the same things if I were in his place! And been guilty of the same faults. In my mind, the two most heinous examples of Edward's controlling/poor communication/poor judgment were 1) when he broke up with Bella in New Moon and 2) when he dismantled her truck to prevent her from seeing Jacob in Eclipse. The whole "kidnapping Bella" idea runs a close third.

[HOFJ, I want you to notice here that I'm not excusing my beloved Edward's faults! :lol: ]
holdingoutforjacob wrote:i guess to be more general, what bugs me about edward is that he thinks he is always right, he doesn't consider anyone else's opinions, nor does he listen to them.
I think this is very true. BUT, Edward is a principle-driven man. He finds a principle and he sticks to it! He also overreacts and loses sight of the bigger picture--especially concerning relationships, in which he is inexperienced and somewhat unskilled.

Edward had the very admirable determination to protect Bella's life. He tapped all his experience and focus to meet that goal. Unfortunately, in trying to control the events surrounding Bella, he began to smother her, and he didn't realize it until Bella's reckless (in Edward's opinion) behavior forced him to reevaluate the effectiveness of his strategy. Edward's principle-driven behavior is one of the things I love about him, but in the early pages of both New Moon and Eclipse he shows us clearly what happens when principles are blindly pursued without regard for circumstances or the feelings of others.
But remember Esme echo, she did not mind the 'kidnapping' part as long as he was the one doing the kidnapping. :D

I agree totally with your assessment of Edward. When he finally realized that he was driving Bella to do dangerous stunts like sneaking off to see Jacob, he backed off. He did listen to her when she needed to reason with him on things. At first he 'bucked' against her arguments because I think he was jealous of that relationship - a relationship that he himself made possible by his erroneous actions in New Moon. He screwed up and admitted that in Eclipse. His theatrical tendencies made this whole mess possible and he is clearly paying the price for that.

I also agree that he is deep down a principled driven man - stubborn too. But so is Bella. She really believed she could have both Jacob on one level and Edward on a deeper level. This was impossible at the time because both men loved her and not to mention that one was vampire and the other werewolf/shape-shifter; mortal enemies.

Look, we all have done some pretty dumb things when emotions get in the way. But note this, Bella understood Edward and why he acted and reacted the way he did. In the end, that was all that mattered.
Edward can and could be reasoned with, he truly was frightened of loosing her again, this time not by his actions, but by hers and others. He learned from his mistakes and did not repeat them.

Faults and all, Edward, to me, is a great guy all around. When a man can 'fess up' to screwing up and change his ways, that tells me alot about his character - not too many people much less men can do that and SM showed us that Edward redeemed himself quite well. Just my thoughts. :)
I so agree with you. There is controlling and there is controlling. Edward did what did out of fear and love. And as we all know those two emotions are great motivators weather for good or bad. His behavior was disturbing at first, I will give you that. The big difference however,(and the point that SM was trying to make) is that Edward realized what he was doing to Bella and changed.

So if you want to fault Edward for his so called controlling behavior so be it but you just cant dismiss Edward's acceptance of the problems and his ability to right these wrongs.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.