General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
edwardstruelove
Settled in Forks

Re: Breaking Dawn-I didn't like it

Post by edwardstruelove »

ok im gonna keep this simple and to the point.
first of all, the wedding was great! i really liked it and it was amazingly sweet.
but after that... during the honeymoon, bella begging was just.... i don't know it just made me extremely uncomfortable. i was embarrassed for her, and it just seemed like she wanted sex too much. i mean, in eclipse, she wanted it and everything, but the crying about the dream was just too much for me. usually i can sympathize so much with bella in the books, which is why i like them so much. but this.... i couldn't understand. i know she wants him and everything but i thought the emotional aspect of their relationship was greater than the physical part.
i also didn't understand why she wanted the baby so badly. bella's personality never seemed like the motherly kind. she was willing to give up her friends and family for edward, so i figured she would never love anything like she loved edward. during the part when bella was pregnant, i felt so bad for edward! it was really hard to believe bella would do that.
another thing, how could rosalie be willing to give up bella for a baby?? i knew rosalie was selfish, but can she really be THAT selfish? if it were me, i wouldn't even give up someone i dont even know for that!
on the other hand, the rest of the book i actually liked a lot more than the begining. i always expected the book to end in a happy ending so i enjoyed it. overall, i kind of liked the book, and i kind of didn't.
morninsunshine
Settled in Forks

Post by morninsunshine »

As I just officially finished the book a few weeks ago (despite getting the book the day after it came out...), I think it's time that I write a review.

To be honest, I read about 3/4 of the book and just completely lost patience. First of all, it took a complete 180 from the other three books. Change is a good thing when it's gradual, but this was just a complete turn, and mostly for the worst. Everything I loved about this series was gone, thus why I only finished it recently.

1) The best part about the series I think was the fact that it was a very sweet love story, yet it managed to add a bit of sci-fi into it. But this wasn't sweet at all. To be honest, it was a completely odd, and bizarre disaster. I don't think while reading a book I've ever cringed so much. I felt like I was watching a bad trainwreck of a movie on the sci-fi channel.

2) You couldn't relate to Bella at all after she got knocked up. What I loved about twilight is how you could always relate to Bella.
(I WILL say that I loved when Jacob narrated, it was the only part that had the original 'twilight' essence in it.)

3) The last 75-100 pages were completely anti-climatic.

4) It wasn't realistic at all. I know that it's a series about vampires, but what I loved was that while still being somewhat sci-fi, it remained somewhat grounded in real life.

5) A 1/2 human 1/2 vampire baby clawing her way through her mothers uterus...WTF.

6) None of the characters (with the slight exception of Jacob, he stayed the same until he 'imprinted' on Renessmee (stupidest plot line ever...?) were like how they were in the previous books.

7) I can't describe it, but I feel as if it was completely rushed. I know that this was the original path for the books, according to Meyer, but I don't feel like it was. It feels completely distant from the rest of the books. Maybe it's the editors fault or maybe Meyer got pressure to tweak Breaking Dawn a bit. I dunno, it just never felt right. I also find it sad that Meyer is blaming the "Rob effect" on the book, when really it was just poorly written.

8) Bella's vampire "power" was kind of lame too. The fact that she was completely free of the thrist that comes with being a vampire was just a sad excuse.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i think that it falls short BECAUSE it was the original ending. the story grew and evolved in so many ways throughout the books, so why on earth would SM try to shove it back into the original ending?? i don't get it.

what, may i ask, is the "rob effect?"

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:i think that it falls short BECAUSE it was the original ending. the story grew and evolved in so many ways throughout the books, so why on earth would SM try to shove it back into the original ending?? i don't get it. what, may i ask, is the "rob effect?"
The "Rob Effect" refers to the reaction of the fangirls to Robert Pattinson being cast as Edward; mainly, how they absolutely hated him until they saw the trailer and changed their minds.

Smeyer applies this to the angry reaction to Breaking Dawn, saying that the fangirls need time to let it sink in before they'll like it. I disagree with that. Sure, people can get used to the name 'Renesmee', but the climax and basic 'plot' will be just as disappointing no matter how many times they read it.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

yeah i agree. the way it's written isn't going to magically get better. it's not that it takes some getting used to. the casting of edward was a very subjective thing - everyone had their own opinion of who it should be and what he should look like.

however, people just wanted breaking dawn to be GREAT. and if SM had delivered a great story, there wouldn't be this backlash. for god's sakes own it woman but don't discredit the opinions of those who don't like it for your personal comfort!

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
BlackSun
Settled in Forks

Post by BlackSun »

Breaking Dawn - Laughable.

Breaking Dawn is the end the finale the make or break but unfortunately it didn't deliver. Though Jacob's book was interesting and at sometimes funny...but weak funny. The book as a whole was meh. The other books kept me turning pages but the last 100 pages of BD took me as long to read as the first 3 7/8 did. The ending was building and building and right when it was about to get crazy good...everyone went home! I honestly couldn't believe it , i checked to see if some of my pages were stuck together. For a story i was so consumed with for about a months time ( i read them all in one go) I did not shed a single tear or feel any emotion at all really just an..."okay i am done now...what next" This is very out of character for me...I had to put down HP 7 and watch an episode of FRIENDS because i couldn't physically couldn't read through my swollen crying eyes. BD failed to make me feel anything but relief to finally be finished and disappointment that i had just read this great story with all this potential and such a weak ending.

Sorry BD. Final verdict - Meh.

thanks for reading
B.S. 8-)
ImageImage
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

BlackSun wrote:This is very out of character for me...I had to put down HP 7 and watch an episode of FRIENDS because i couldn't physically couldn't read through my swollen crying eyes. BD failed to make me feel anything but relief to finally be finished and disappointment that i had just read this great story with all this potential and such a weak ending.
Oh, me too! I bought the HP7 book at midnight and just *couldn't* go to sleep until I had finished the entire thing. I read ALL night until the very last word, and then I cried for six hours. SIX HOURS. I've never cried that long in my whole life. It was intense. :cry:

BD, however, I *had* to put down. My brain was melting from the anti-logic. Srsly. :lol:
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

Well, I do agree that the characters are not like what they are in the previous books.

Somehow funny, but don't you notice that SM paid more attention to the side characters in BD?
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
Twilightlover101
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Twilightlover101 »

I'm not gonna lie and say that i absolutely loved BD, as i did the three previous books
but i'm not gonna say that i absolutely hated it either
like most there are bits about the book that had me yearning to rip apart to shreads like:
1)The book dragged on and on with unnecessary bits just to make it long
2)Hated the hypocrisy
3)Rosalie's selfish desire to get the baby even if it kills bella
4)That their relationship became all about sex, don't get me wrong, love it, but come on
5)The inconsistencies

I don't really cry in Breaking Dawn like I did in HP 7, in Breaking Dawn I cried once and that was only because she was saying goodbye to renesmee after she almost killed herself to save her, whereas in HP 7 I pretty much cried after every death.
Though in saying so BD made me feel so many deifferent emotions at once it wasn't funny. I don't think my heart has ever beat so loudly, and it still accelerates every time i think about the honeymoon

What I loved about the book was
1)The wedding
2)The Honeymoon *swoon*
3)How bella would do anything for her baby cause i totally understand that
4)Emmet, and his dirty jokes
5)Edward, feathers, headboard, lingerie
6)Bella's new found self when she was changed into a vampire
7)The ending when edward could see bella's mind
ahh

I still think it could have been a lot better if she didn't rush through the book
Jane V
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jane V »

ok, BD was ok, {i said OK} but c'mon! SM could've done so much better!! i LOVED the first three books, but Breaking Dawn..it just didn't do it for me.
point 1: i agree with everyone who says the book was not like the first 3. i felt like i was reading a whole different series!
point 2: i also agree that everyone was so OOC in BD. i really annoyed the heck out of me because i love those characters like they were in the first 3 frickin' books! :evil:
point 3: WTF is with Bella being so....UGH! not Bella. i mean, she LOVES this thing that's killing her???! and she doesn't even have thirst?
point 4: i hated that B+E's relationship was all about sex now. that's just....bad cable TV. not Twilight.
point 5: and Jake gets all overprotective. i cannot stand overprotectiveness.

ok, Nessie was actually kinda cute but the story is supposed to be about Bella, people, not Nessie. i was so angry when all the characters were like "Nessie, oh, i Love you!". plus i hated Rosalie's selfishness. i made me like Rosalie less.
overall, it was all right but, sorry, not that great. thnx for listening.
"quite a pity how things turned out, isn't it?" -Jane, Eclipse

something you didn't know about the Volturi:
Felix has a medical condition. it's called Obsessive Winking Disorder. don't tell him i told you