General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Re: Imprinting

Post by akire »

i2foundu wrote:I'm sorry I didn't mean to double post. :o I was visiting another forum when I came accross another question I thought belonged here I didn't check to see if I was the last one who posted. My head is full with questions and ideas and I'm trying to to fill each post with a whole page worth of info :)

When the Cullens move there shouldn't be a need for shapeshifter protection for the tribe, other than a possible nomad passing through. Shapeshifters will age once the stop phasing correct. Imprinting seems to be a natural force and in the beginning more of them imprinted what was it 4/10. At the end of BD we believe the number to be 5/17. If there is no immediate need for more shapeshifters to be created then when vampires cease to be in the area and the shapeshifters stop phasing and start aging again, then I wonder if that will also decrease the need for immediate imprints.

Does that make more sense?
I don't know that the lack of vampires in the area will decrease the number of imprints. I know you said "immediate imprints," but it seems to me there is no other kind. I mean, think about how much Jacob wanted to imprint on Bella and he just couldn't.

If the ONLY purpose of imprinting is to make the pack stronger, it makes sense the number if imprints would decrease. But if it's also to give the imprinted wolf companionship, it probably wouldn't. I can't imagine that all of the current wolves would be stuck where they are physically until the Cullens come back (years and years later) and the threat returns. Seems to me people would start to notice.

Image Image Image
Bkwrm
Wandering Through Town

Post by Bkwrm »

What's disturbing to me is the idea that Nessie and Claire will never be allowed to find love on their own. They will have Jake and Quil hovering over them during their entire childhood, with the "You are my reason for LIVING!" attitude. Wow. No pressure there. No sense of obligation.

Even if they (hopefully) find natural love, how can they live "normal" lives with their lovers with a possessive older man hanging around? What guy wants "Uncle/brother/etc Jake/Quil" hanging around his mate?

What happens if Claire or Nessie (hopefully) gets the guts to say, "You're whatever I need you to be? I need you to GET LOST!"

WOULD they? So far, none of the imprinters have done this. Jacob had the gall to rename Bella's daughter and set down rules by which she could see her own child.
akire

Post by akire »

^^^

Hmm.. would they? I don't think they have a choice, really. If their role in the imprinted girl's life is to be whatever she needs, doesn't the imprinter kind of have to get lost when she asks him to? Though one could also argue that what she needs and what she thinks she needs are two different things.

I'm not sure the Jacob/Nessie thing is a good example of that. He is certainly taking liberties but it doesn't really have to do w/ whether or not Nessie wants him around. After all, he's not there to be what Bella needs (anymore) :) .

But I see what you mean about how being imprinted on could get annoying.

Image Image Image
Bkwrm
Wandering Through Town

Post by Bkwrm »

Hmm.. would they? I don't think they have a choice, really. If their role in the imprinted girl's life is to be whatever she needs, doesn't the imprinter kind of have to get lost when she asks him to? Though one could also argue that what she needs and what she thinks she needs are two different things.

See, that kind of thinking ("I know what you need!") is scary. Jake thought he knew what Bella needed, remember? He tried to force Bella to "see" that he was what she wanted. What happens if his imprint doesn't cooperate any better than mom did?
who_needs_fangs?
Digging the Castle Motif

Post by who_needs_fangs? »

But that's the difference, when you've imprinted it doesn't matter what you think they need. What they really do need from you comes as first nature.
|Allie (Red) and Sami (Cocoa) and Sydney (Yank) are ❤|Conch=twin|
|SBS|Major V|Heidi Volturi|Veronica Ricci|Some other stuff I forgot|
|Banner Screenshots by Squid, Avie by Abby|
akire

Post by akire »

Yep... and what the imprintee ACTUALLY needs is not always the same as what she THINKS she needs and the imprinted wolf can only give her what she actually needs (like, instinctively).

See also: Me in a shoe store. :D

BTW, I always use the feminine pronouns for the imprintee just because it's easier, not because I necessarily think only girls get imprinted on.

Image Image Image
english rose
Wandering Through Town

Post by english rose »

i agree, i think they know what the imprintee needs and acts on that not what they are actually saying, lets face it when nessie goes thru that awkward teenage girl phase she prob will sya lots of mean things she doesnt mean (i know i did :roll: ) but hell know what she really needs from him and if it turns out in the end she only needs him to be her friend thats what he would be. i like to think that part of the impirnting magic means you only imprint on a soulmate who will love you back and weve only been shown that so far with sam and jareds choice but who knows. i hope the theory about it being to make stronger breeds doesnt turn out to be true, how unromantic that would be awful. do you think if the imprintee doesnt feel the same the wolf would be broken hearted or are would they be happy in the role there allocated aslong as the imprintee is happy? do they feel waht there meant to feel, for examle at the mo jacob has no romantic interest in nessie due to her age if she grows and doesnt see him in that way would he still develope romantic feelings when she comes of age or would they stay the same protective brotherish feelings they are now? what do you think?
"now you know, no one's ever loved anyone as much as i love you"
"i know of just one exception"
"liar"
And then we continued blissfully into this small but perfect piece of our forever

team edward all the way!
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Bkwrm wrote:

See, that kind of thinking ("I know what you need!") is scary. Jake thought he knew what Bella needed, remember? He tried to force Bella to "see" that he was what she wanted. What happens if his imprint doesn't cooperate any better than mom did?
Actually, he tried to make Bella see that she was in love with him. And he hoped that would be enough.

All the discussion about 'what if the imprintee doesn't fall in love with the imprinter" makes me really sad guys! :(

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
akire

Post by akire »

holdingoutforjacob wrote: Actually, he tried to make Bella see that she was in love with him. And he hoped that would be enough.

All the discussion about 'what if the imprintee doesn't fall in love with the imprinter" makes me really sad guys! :(
Aww... it's all theory, HofJ! In Breaking Dawn we saw how much Nessie likes Jake, and preferred him (at times) to her own parents. Unless that's not why it makes you sad??

I don't think the imprinter would be TOO sad if the imprintee didn't fall in love with him. He could still be in her life and maybe even still fall in love with someone else??

Image Image Image
english rose
Wandering Through Town

Post by english rose »

hmm ive never considered the imprinter falling in love with someone else, i suppose if they are only needed as a friend in the imprintees life then they prob could be with someone else. but their new love would always come second to the needs of the imprintee which would suck.
"now you know, no one's ever loved anyone as much as i love you"
"i know of just one exception"
"liar"
And then we continued blissfully into this small but perfect piece of our forever

team edward all the way!