General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alice_in_Cullenland
Wandering Through Town

Re: Imprinting

Post by Alice_in_Cullenland »

So...imprinting kind of robs you of your free will. Granted, it does so with the intent of giving you the best children/werewolves you could get, but is it worth your will? I'm making this statement very broad, I'm aware of this. Just because all the people that imprint are very very happy they've imprinted and found their soul mates/true love doesn't seem to take away any of the side affects to me.
SilentHeart
Wandering Through Town

Post by SilentHeart »

I've never really understood imprinting. But I liked the idea that it points out your true love and you don't have to wonder if it's the right choice. I imagine that if you were a Quileute you would be familiar with the legends and you wouldn't have such a shock when it is revealed to you, thus being less reserved and probably ending up in love with the one who imprinted on you. But what if you were a skeptic? I doubt a wolf exploding near you would turn you into a believer, but probably it would convince you that you need some help. And skipping so much of a relationship... Like for Jacob and Renesmee. She would have grown and probably Jacob would have gradually started loving her. It's a bit weird getting to know the person you love, cause you would never be able to see any flaws. Wouldn't that be frustrating for the imprintee?
I also think it's kind of a burden for the wolves. Can you imagine living always aware that you might fall in love at a single glance? Knowing, everytime you go one a date that she's not the one?
it does so with the intent of giving you the best children/werewolves you could get
I thought that was just a theory. But even so, I understand the instinct of loving your mother, you don't choose your parents, but is it fare not chosing the one you will spend your life with? Even if that would have happened eventually...
I really wish I could understand imprinting more, as far as I grasp it, it doesn't seem such a wonderful thing.
BlackRainWillFall
Settled in Forks
Location: California, wishing it were the La Push Reservation

Post by BlackRainWillFall »

Although many girls (including a few of my Twilight-friends) find Imprinting to be romantic, it just serves me to think it is an unfair binding. It is stated that when it comes to Imprinting, the wolf has no choice. Imagine what it would be like to love someone with every bit of your being, only to have them turn away because they were "meant" for someone else? It brings poor Leah and her ill-fated love for Sam to mind. But didn't Jacob state in Eclipse that some wolves can live out their lives with never Imprinting? (Or maybe I read that in a fanfiction somewhere). I haven't read the book in forever so I don't remember... but it sounds entirely plausible. I don't care what anyone argues: Had Breaking Dawn not seen its fruition, Jacob would have never Imprinted. No stupid Renesmee, no stupid Imprint.

Wow, now I'm sounding bitter...

Sigh. :oops:
Team Jacob. Because I can't resist the beautiful rays of the sun. <3<3<3
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Yeah, Jacob said that in Eclipse, but by the end of Breaking Dawn, almost all the wolves had imprinted.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
who_needs_fangs?
Digging the Castle Motif

Post by who_needs_fangs? »

Actually, by the end of Breaking Dawn there was a population explosion amongst the wolves, so as far as we know, 5 out of 17 of the wolves imprinted.
|Allie (Red) and Sami (Cocoa) and Sydney (Yank) are ❤|Conch=twin|
|SBS|Major V|Heidi Volturi|Veronica Ricci|Some other stuff I forgot|
|Banner Screenshots by Squid, Avie by Abby|
suzzeeQ
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by suzzeeQ »

I hate imprinting. To me it's not love. Any and all choice is removed from the equation. I would much rather choose to be with the wrong guy than forced to be with my soul mate, for the sole reason of being able to choose. Leah is my favorite character in the series and her story is so tragic to me. She is in love with this guy who loves her back. They are happy; but, one day Sam happens to meet her best friend and imprints on Emily. Everything they had spent years building was gone in an instant. He didn't love her anymore. Leah was heart broken and she had no choice in the matter. She had to watch the man she loves and her best friend live their lives and be happy, while she is left behind in the dust.

Imprinting removes all choice out of the equation. I thought that is was a theme in the series. Bella chose to (supposedly) to give up her humanity and family and friends to be with Edward, instead of choosing a normal human life without him. Imprinting contradicts choice.

I don't have a problem with Quil imprinting on Claire. It's actually kind of cute. I have a problem with Jacob and Renesmee :roll: because Bella is her mother. I truly believe Jacob was in love with Bella during New Moon and Eclipse. Now, all of a sudden, Jacob, without a choice, is devoted to her daughter. Chances are they will end up in a romantic relationship someday. The phrase "you are SO much like your mother" comes to mind. Plus the fact that Jacob's character was completely destroyed to me when he imprinted. I wanted him to just go away.

Falling in and out of love is apart of life. It's how we discover who we WANT to spend the rest of out lives with. And the imprinter should not be forced to bend to the imprintee's will. It just sounds like slavery to me. What if the imprintee wanted to rob a bank? Or wanted someone murdered? The imprinter would have to do it because it's what the imprintee wants. (yes, I know those are extreme examples)
Starla
Settled in Forks

Post by Starla »

It may be extreme but it's still valid.

I've had long discussions about imprinting and nothing so far has made me change my mind. It's lazy and far to easy to ever be considered love.

It's fate sticking you in a elevator with a random stranger until you starve to death because you're too content to try and get out. The stairs might be a long, endless slog (especially if you've taken them too many times before) but when you're tackling them with a person you know and have chosen to love, getting to the top doesn't seem like such a task.

I think the true worth of love can only be decided by how many tests it's faced and triumphed. I want to fight with my man, I want to argue and get mad and make up with him. And I want the choice to leave him, and I want him to have the choice to leave me because that makes it so much more beautiful and better and stronger everyday that he chooses not to.

The imprint couples have been handed a life that they will never have to fight for so how can they ever appreciate how much it means to them. It's all smooth sailing and none of the bumps that make a relationship stronger. They are forced together and for that reason, they can never decide to stand by eahc other or stick together.

They can't choose to fight for each other or what they have. They are stuck in contentment and complacency---never questioning their dreamworld or remembering the reality just outside it. They live in a warped illusion of love and perfection that underneath is inherently destructive.

It doesn't matter that Sam and Leah *might* have broken up. They were together and imprinting made him cast her off like his father did to his mother and it made Emily betray a girl who was close as a sister to her. Maybe Nessie and Claire will be spared the painful search for real love but that's forgetting that it's those trial and errors that shape us into the people we become and help us appreciate the right person when we find him/her. How can either of these girls ever value love without ever experiencing anything less than perfect?

I want to sit on a porch with my man in fifty years and be proud of the fact that we've loved each other and gained enough strength from each other to fight through all the troubles and build a life together. Having someone hand us that on a plate would be nothing less than a failure, imo.

Soulmates are a nice concept but even soulmates have the option of leaving. If your man turns out to be a pedophile, you would want to be able to walk away, no matter how much you loved him, wouldn't you? Imagine if you didn't have that choice.

As for the whole soulmates theory, I don't buy it. If Jared and Kim were meant to be, if that was decided by fate, then how come he didn't realise it before? A soulmate is a soulmate---a natural connection that should still exist on a human level. I absolutely believe that it's about genetics and that these men are being wiped of their personalities and turned into little more that emotionally zombified breeding machines.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

I totally agree.

All the relationships in the Twilight Saga are based on some concept of something "greater" than love.

It's what I love about Jacob and Bella's relationship. They had something that was purely natural. And they fought. And they had to learn how to be around each other and be comfortable with each other and stuff. But that's what love is.

Plus, these girls getting imprinted on will never learn the very important life lessons we learn from searching for our soul mate.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
andrea0908
Settled in Forks

Post by andrea0908 »

Starla wrote:

They can't choose to fight for each other or what they have. They are stuck in contentment and complacency---never questioning their dreamworld or remembering the reality just outside it. They live in a warped illusion of love and perfection that underneath is inherently destructive.

I absolutely believe that it's about genetics and that these men are being wiped of their personalities and turned into little more that emotionally zombified breeding machines.

That's exactly how I see it! Once they shifted shapes, there follows the consequences. That is how the way their life goes. No other choice but accept it! Not unless they'll stop shifting! Oh yes! SM should stop it, so the imprinting thing will gone too..and they will age soon..or maybe realize that one day, they are not there for each other anymore...
I know it's Hard...But I Want to Believe that my Edward is REAL
Starla
Settled in Forks

Post by Starla »

And that brings up an interesting point.

What would happen if they were to stop shifting? Would the imprinting disappear? Would they find themselves stuck in a marriage that they realise they never wanted?

And if they did, what could they do about it? By then the damage would be done. They might have children, might have been together for years. They could have constructed a whole life built upon a false feeling.

Is the alternitive to continue to phase forever, or at least until their imprintee dies? How is that fair?

Sam might one day stop phasing and realise that the life he has with Emily is never what he, as a man, wanted but the whims of the wolf inside him.