General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Imprinting

Post by Asheleyo »

I'm banking on the idea that SM thought the human half for both Jacob and Renesmee and the chromosome count qualified them for reproduction. Whether that works or not, it's not really important. It is fiction, after all. We are dealing with things that couldn't exist in reality anyway. Is it that much harder to suspend your disbelief to include their offspring?

And I agree with HOFJ. What would be the point of them imprinting if they can't lead a full and happy life, including having children? If either Sam or Billy's theories are correct, imprinting leads to the right match for kids, whether to make it more likely they'll be wolves or to make them stronger.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
Landiana
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Location: Near London, wondering if the crazy lobsters have formed their plan of attack

Post by Landiana »

i guess that the part that annoyed me was that Stephenie Meyer included the chromosome thing. because by doing that she is trying to quantify it and make it more real. i felt like when i read it that it didn;t make sense - as if she was trying to abide by the laws of nature while writing fantasy and contradicting the laws of nature.

i'd rather think that imprinting was something a bit more magical than it being inbuilt into the chromosomes and DNA. it goes back to her trying to make it work in a world which knows about chromosomes and DNA. if i'm honest i think a better explanation would have been mutated DNA which caused the anomolies in both werewolves and vampires, because Chromosomes make up too much of your genetic make up for it to be feasable.

i supose it doesn't have to be feasable, but when you start including science you have to keep your facts straight.

Ashelyo its not treally about me suspending my beliefs, but about continuity. i think if you start with one thread then you have to continue it.

maybe i am just being a tad pedantic.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4851042/1/English_Vampires
Please read my fanfic!

Team Edward
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Pendragon »

Landiana wrote:i guess that the part that annoyed me was that Stephenie Meyer included the chromosome thing. because by doing that she is trying to quantify it and make it more real. i felt like when i read it that it didn;t make sense - as if she was trying to abide by the laws of nature while writing fantasy and contradicting the laws of nature.

i'd rather think that imprinting was something a bit more magical than it being inbuilt into the chromosomes and DNA. it goes back to her trying to make it work in a world which knows about chromosomes and DNA. if i'm honest i think a better explanation would have been mutated DNA which caused the anomolies in both werewolves and vampires, because Chromosomes make up too much of your genetic make up for it to be feasable.

i supose it doesn't have to be feasable, but when you start including science you have to keep your facts straight.

Ashelyo its not treally about me suspending my beliefs, but about continuity. i think if you start with one thread then you have to continue it.

maybe i am just being a tad pedantic.

I don't blame you for trying to be more logical about this. I don't think SM really did a good job trying to mix science with fantasy myth in her story. She made all these inconsistencies and and that's made for questions and contradictions.
Last edited by Pendragon on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

I wouldn't say you're being pedantic, Landiana, just maybe not entirely clear. You believe that they shouldn't be able to have kids, not that they won't be able to, correct? I mean, in the context of real-world science and logic and stuff they shouldn't be able too, but in the context of the Twilight Saga it's clear, to me at least, that they will be able to.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
i2foundu
Wandering Through Town

Post by i2foundu »

I have pondered the idea of imprinting for awhile now. When I finished BD I so wanted the story to go on. Unfortunatly I think the push for book 3 and 4 didn't allow for the strategic planning for a book 5 and so on. Imprinting and jacob imprinting on renesmee makes a hard continuation with out complete planning.
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

It dd make me wonder when i was reading, is 24 chromosones the key?

Think Leah and Jacob- Wolves. 24 chromosones.
Emily- Leahs Couisin.
Claire- Emily's neice
Racheal- Jake's sister.
Kim- Quiluete anyway.
Renesmee- 24

They kind of all have, or have the potential to have 24 chromosones, like a werewolf?
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Asheleyo »

Maybe it's more like a dominate vs a recessive gene. As in the wolves themselves have the dominant genes, and their imprintees have the recessive gene, so the match has much greater potential to produce an offspring with the dominant gene.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

Personally, I never understood why the chromosome count was even brought up. It didn't answer any questions, except for how many Jake had; how Carlisle tested the vampire DNA, I'll never know.

Because the series was never intended to be more then two books when it was in the initial stages, Imprinting, to me, was a concept that was never thought out properly. Even though I didn't read the books until all four were published, I honestly thought that when it was brought up in the second and third books, something more then what was given would have been included with all the talk that went into it.

I find that Quil and Jake imprinting on children hard to stomach, more so Jake's because she's a newborn, simply because they are watching them grow up and that they'd always be like sixteenish years older then the imprint. I know that in real life that men and women do date those that are younger then them by a number of years, and that pedophiles exist, but in the world of fantasy it's not something I wanted to see.

Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Pendragon »

RebeccaCullen wrote:Personally, I never understood why the chromosome count was even brought up. It didn't answer any questions, except for how many Jake had; how Carlisle tested the vampire DNA, I'll never know.

Because the series was never intended to be more then two books when it was in the initial stages, Imprinting, to me, was a concept that was never thought out properly. Even though I didn't read the books until all four were published, I honestly thought that when it was brought up in the second and third books, something more then what was given would have been included with all the talk that went into it.

I find that Quil and Jake imprinting on children hard to stomach, more so Jake's because she's a newborn, simply because they are watching them grow up and that they'd always be like sixteenish years older then the imprint. I know that in real life that men and women do date those that are younger then them by a number of years, and that pedophiles exist, but in the world of fantasy it's not something I wanted to see.

I totally agree. It's annoying how SM never quite fully explained the whole thing about imprinting and throwing in the whole chromosome count was pretty dumb since all it did was further complicate things. Plus the whole imprinting on a kid thing is pretty disturbing. True people have dated people alot younger than themselves. But I don't think that I've heard of someone falling in love with a person they not only watched but raised their entire lives. Sure Quil and Jacob don't see their impritees in a sexual way, but if and when those two girls want those guys to be their lovers it is going to see so weird.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

There is a video on EW website with SM regarding imprinting. She states that that when Jacob imprints in Renesme it is not that he loves her in a bf/gf way. It simply means he wants to make her happy however he can at that time. Since she is a child he looks at her as any brother or father would which is to put you child first as a protector. She also says that is why she introduced the idea when he spoke with Quill so we wouldn't be shocked at the end.
Banner by TammyAZ