General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Re: Imprinting

Post by ringswraith »

That doesn't really stand up, though. We've heard about wolves who consciously stopped from phasing and were able to once more age normally, so why can't Leah (or any potential female shifter) do that (assuming they get to that level of control), and regain their normal cycles and thus the ability to bear kids?

See, even though they're imprinting (we're assuming) to pass on the gene, it doesn't necessarily mean they're actually going to have children. In the case of Quil, if they do have kids, it's not going to be for several years yet. The imprint happens because the potential to have wolfish offspring is there. Leah still has potential to bear child, so why wouldn't she imprint?
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Post by The girlie-wolf »

I think Leah can bear children when she starts aging again.... so the baby won't be hurt because of the phasing.. and it's not a problem.. I mean that when she was human she had her period aso I guess that when she stops phasing she will have her period again...
The Quil situation is different... but when Claire grows up they will have children.. so it don't matter when it happens, just that it will happen...
I think that Leah can imprint but only when she start's aging again... couse she don't have her period and couse she can't imprint to pass the gene while she is phasing... couse in Quil's situation it will happen and Quil won't age.... but maybe the man that Leah imprints on will die before she stops phasing? maybe she won't control her anger and she'll have to phase... like she isn't mature enough...
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha
Knives
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Knives »

Y'know, we could just put down Leah's failure to imprint to Ms. Meyer's less than perfect understanding of science (paired with her urge to attempt to use science anyway).

I do have a musing which Ms. Meyer worked very hard to sidestep - what happens when a shapeshifter imprints and the other person wants nothing to do with them? Imprinting is a sexual urge, and while it comes with protective urges and emotions, the bottom line is reproduction. What might a wolf end up doing if their "beloved" spurns them?
Openhome wrote:Knives, I believe that..
wait for it...
you are right.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Sorry- had to read your post a few times, you kinda went in circles there.

How is Quil's situation different from Leah's in regards to my post? Quil isn't having kids with Claire now, yet he imprinted on her. Leah isn't having kids now- so why can't she imprint? Because, as you say, she can't have the child? Well, neither can Claire. That didn't stop Quil from imprinting.

All I'm saying is that the potential for having kids is there.

And I don't know about you, but if Leah can willingly walk into the Cullen residence as a human, then I believe she can learn to control her phasing to be with someone.

EDIT: Knives: I suppose they would do what any other animal would do- find another mate. What that means for the actual imprint is anyone's guess.
Knives

Post by Knives »

See, that's the part I'm not so sure about. Quil is facing "years of monkitude" when it would certainly be more efficient and genetically viable to poke holes in a few condoms and play the Genetic Lottery rather than stay celibate. If imprinting is a force as strong as it is depicted as being, obsession would be the reaction, not moving on. And that's, ah, kinda worrying for the unfortunate woman in question, as she may have a hyper-strong shapeshifter obsessed with her in a decidedly unhealthy fashion with strong sexual overtones and genetically-encoded urges to mate.
Openhome wrote:Knives, I believe that..
wait for it...
you are right.
suzzeeQ

Post by suzzeeQ »

The girlie-wolf wrote: If she can't have children than why did she get her period when she ws still human... couse this is the sign that she can have children...
You can get your period and still be infertile.
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

Wow, this topic got deep lol. In answer to the few different questions brought up: first, I commented that I didn't think Leah would imprint because she couldn't pass on the gene. Then Rings brought up a good point about her having the gene on both sides, so if she had enough of the gene to phase she might have enough to pass on. So, I think I may have changed my mind about that lol.

I agree that she wouldn't be able to have children while she's still phasing...that whole lack of a period thing. But I don't see any reason why she wouldn't be able to have children once she stops phasing. So, if we go with that fact, and the fact that she has enough of the gene to pass on to her kids then I don't see why she couldn't imprint.

Knives, I liked your reasoning lol...as to your question: I don't personally think the imprint would reject them. Like Jacob said, it's hard to resist that kind of addoration. If someone loves you that much and is that into you it's kinda hard to reject them lol. I don't think that the wolf would try to find a new mate...once they imprint, that's it for them. Also, in the case of Quil having to wait, he seems like it doesn't bother him. The imprinting is to find the best genetic match, there would be no reason to go trying to get someone else prego lol.

Good point [b Suzzee[/b]
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Post by The girlie-wolf »

ringswraith wrote:Sorry- had to read your post a few times, you kinda went in circles there.

How is Quil's situation different from Leah's in regards to my post? Quil isn't having kids with Claire now, yet he imprinted on her. Leah isn't having kids now- so why can't she imprint? Because, as you say, she can't have the child? Well, neither can Claire. That didn't stop Quil from imprinting.

All I'm saying is that the potential for having kids is there.

And I don't know about you, but if Leah can willingly walk into the Cullen residence as a human, then I believe she can learn to control her phasing to be with someone.
oops... :oops: sorry... I didn't know how to explain it and I'll do my best here...
Of course Claire can have children now, but she will, in a few years... and Quil never ages so it won't be a problem...
BUT Leah is a wolf right now, if she imprints she'll have to stop phasing first. I don't think that it was easy for her to walk in her human form to the Cullens... it was very difficult but she wanted to talk to Bella and she cares for Jacob. but after that she phased to get her nerves out or something.
My point is that it would take Leah a while to start aging completly... and maybe it would take too long. The guy she imprinted on can die any moment cuz he is only human. and maybe she can stop phasing sometime, but it would take her a while. So what I mean is that maybe it would take her too long to stop phasing...

Suzze~ oops :oops: forgot about it :(
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

I still don't understand why Leah would have to stop phasing to imprint. None of the other wolves have to. Why couldn't she imprint, then learn to stop phasing, and then have kids. She doesn't have to have kids as soon as she imprints, so therefore she doesn't have to stop phasing as soon as she imprints. Yes, her imprint will continue to age and she won't but unless A) there is already a HUGE age gap or B) it takes her twenty to thirty years to be able to stop phasing, I don't see why that would be a problem either.

I guess I'm just confused as to why she would have to stop phasing before she can imprint?
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Knives, I don't understand why you think that imprinting is a purely sexual urge. All the evidence we have points to it not being that way at all.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...