General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Imprinting

Post by Pendragon »

sweetpea wrote:There is a video on EW website with SM regarding imprinting. She states that that when Jacob imprints in Renesme it is not that he loves her in a bf/gf way. It simply means he wants to make her happy however he can at that time. Since she is a child he looks at her as any brother or father would which is to put you child first as a protector. She also says that is why she introduced the idea when he spoke with Quill so we wouldn't be shocked at the end.
Yeah we all know that Quil and Jacob do not see the two girls as girlfriends but are like big brothers to them and have no sexual feelings towards them. Its when they get older and then they want something more from Quil/Jacob and thats when it gets weird. I know Quil and Jacob will be whatever the girls want them to be so they could just be big brothers to the girls for the rest of their lives. At the same time it sucks for the guys because of that chance of the girls just seeing them as brothers and yet they will be forever tied to those girls.
lady4string

Post by lady4string »

Wouldn't it be nice if regular people imprinted? lol! Then no one can fret about if they are with the right person. Sigh... If only some of SM's universe was real. :lol: I could have skipped over a bunch of losers I dated in high school and college.
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Asheleyo »

lady4string wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if regular people imprinted? lol! Then no one can fret about if they are with the right person. Sigh... If only some of SM's universe was real. :lol: I could have skipped over a bunch of losers I dated in high school and college.
I'm sure a lot of people would hate imprinting if it really existed. Personally, I'd be comforted knowing for sure that my mate was with me for good and had no intention of leaving or changing his mind. However, I'd rather pay the price of uncertainty to have the excitement of discovering love for myself, letting it blossom. I may not be happy with my previous relationships, but they gave me so much knowledge for my marriage. Plus, there's something fun about the trial-and-error approach.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
lady4string

Post by lady4string »

Ash, my trial-and-error must have sucked compared to yours. :mrgreen: Forget the toads and get straight to the prince. ;) heh heh
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

Personally I would rather go through trial and error than have to imprint on someone. At first glace imprinting did seem really nice, but when I look deeper into it, it really does not sound like what it's cracked up to be. I would not want to become a mindless love slave to someone whom normally we would never go out because in reality we had nothing going one for one another. I know you can change during a relationship for better or worse, but I would not want to lose or give up everything about me for one person. When Jacob describes his first time imprinting on Nessie, the part where he says that everything about him, everything that made him him i.e. family and friends was cut and in it's place were bonds of nothing but Nessie. To me that came across as him losing himself and becoming a mere shell of who he once was. In the books it says that the imprinter would be anything the imprintee wants from him and that could be a bad thing as well. What if the imprintee wanted the person to become something completely different and goes against their original personality. I seem imprinting as something that can have negative side effects. I know for the most part SM has all the imprinting couples have have happy relationship with the exception of the Sam/Leah/Emily triangle, but even then those two are happy and Leah's misery doesn't really keep them down. SM doesn't really like conflict in the series that see to have no happy resolve so of course imprinting seems like it's all good but I feel in the real world imprinting can go wrong so many ways. Sorry if I seem ultra negative, this is just my views on it. :lol:
suzzeeQ

Post by suzzeeQ »

When Jacob describes his first time imprinting on Nessie, the part where he says that everything about him, everything that made him him i.e. family and friends was cut and in it's place were bonds of nothing but Nessie. To me that came across as him losing himself and becoming a mere shell of who he once was.

Agreed. I almost cried when I read that. I hate the fact that one person he looked at once now means more to him than his entire life up to that point. When Jacob imprinted he was no longer Jacob Black. He was Nessie's Jacob. He lost nearly all who he was when he imprinted. It's the first time that we saw an actual imprint as it was occuring. We saw Jacob before and Jacob after, and I didn't like what I saw one bit.

I hate imprinting. I can't see any good in it. There really is no choice involved. The books say the imprintee can deny the imprinter, but at the same time they say no one can resist the level of adoration. So there is choice involved, only not really.

I think the heartbreak and dating process is a good thing. Getting a broken heart and working through the pain, coming out stronger on the other side makes us stronger people. We are more able to deal hurt rejection. Maybe if Bella had been in a relationship or two before Twilight she might not have gone as nuts as she did in New Moon.

I would rather have someone be with me because he wants to be. He could leave anytime and not look back, but he chooses to stay because he wants to.
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

suzzeeQ wrote:
I would rather have someone be with me because he wants to be. He could leave anytime and not look back, but he chooses to stay because he wants to.
Exactly! I personally don't think I could be with somebody who imprinted on me without having that nagging question in the back of my head on whether or not that person would be with me at all if they hadn't imprinted on me in the first place. I do not know how Emily manages to be with Sam. She must also have that fact in her head that he was with Leah first and that chances are the two of them would be happy if it weren't for imprinting.
danii_damages
Location: the edge of humanity, because i'm just that awesome.

Post by danii_damages »

Personally, i think if everyone imprinted, life would be much simpler.
You wouldnt get people cheating on other people, and you know you'll have them forever.
I'd love that.
But thats just my opinion.

Danii☺♥
''Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?'' <3
Love has no limits.
inlovewithvamps
Settled in Forks

Post by inlovewithvamps »

trhmllr wrote:I love the idea of imprinting.... I think it doesn't mean that their love isn't "true" love... It just confirms it. Like you don't have to worry "is she the one?" You know she is the one!!! Then you get to spend time developing your love and getting to know each other instead of trying to figure out if this is the person you want to spend your life with.
I am not freaked out or weirder out by the fact you can imprint on a 2 year old or newborn!! I think it is sweet, you can spend that child's whole life figuring them out and learning to love them. They will share a stronger love than anything anyone can imagine!! I wish that imprinting was possible!!! I wouldn't mind having some one imprinting on me... then I would know their love was true. It is a guarantee to fidelity and love!!!!
I love your viewpoint on this. :) I think a lot of people wig out because of the age difference. It just kind of seems creepy to some, but I don't think that way either. I completely agree that having to ask yourself all the time "is this person the one" is pretty exhausting. I think in a way imprinting is possible. It's really just a choice...not necessarily an older person "imprinting" on a young person, but rather two people can actually make the decision and say "I want you to be the one", and if they both agree that the other person is the "the one" for them, they anything is possible. So many people throw themselves in the path of this "current of love" but they don't know how to swim and think that they're helpless. They drown because they can't anchor themselves. They think that this person will just come along and sweep them off their feet and be Fabio or something. It doesn't work like that. You have complete control over who you spend your life with. The only difference between your drowning and the people who know how to swim (the people who spend 50+ years together), is a choice. :P
Human or vampire? Decide Bella's fate! Vote: http://ow.ly/2kL5B
vampirenerd
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In my fantasy world with Edward...and Jacob (why not?)

Post by vampirenerd »

Pendragon wrote: When Jacob describes his first time imprinting on Nessie, the part where he says that everything about him, everything that made him him i.e. family and friends was cut and in it's place were bonds of nothing but Nessie. To me that came across as him losing himself and becoming a mere shell of who he once was.
I have to disagree with you on this. I have to think about how it is with my husband. When I realized that he was the one for me, I also realized that he was the most important thing to me in the world. Where before my family and my friends were my main focus in life, when I fell in love with him he became the most important thing. It says in the bible that a man will leave his mother and father and cleave unto his wife. I believe that when you are in love and are going to spend the rest of your life with someone than they do become the most important thing in your life.

inlovewithvamps wrote:I love your viewpoint on this. :) I think a lot of people wig out because of the age difference. It just kind of seems creepy to some, but I don't think that way either. I completely agree that having to ask yourself all the time "is this person the one" is pretty exhausting. I think in a way imprinting is possible. It's really just a choice...not necessarily an older person "imprinting" on a young person, but rather two people can actually make the decision and say "I want you to be the one", and if they both agree that the other person is the "the one" for them, they anything is possible. So many people throw themselves in the path of this "current of love" but they don't know how to swim and think that they're helpless. They drown because they can't anchor themselves. They think that this person will just come along and sweep them off their feet and be Fabio or something. It doesn't work like that. You have complete control over who you spend your life with. The only difference between your drowning and the people who know how to swim (the people who spend 50+ years together), is a choice. :P
The only thing I don't agree with is that when it comes to imprinting it's not really a choice. The wolf sees their imprint and the know this is the one for them. They don't get to decide if they want to spend the rest of their life with this person or not. The choice is already made for them.

I don't have a problem with imprinting myself. I think it would be nice to not have to worry about finding the right person, but have "fate" find them for you. I also don't have a problem with the age difference (ie Jacob and Nessie). It just means that they'll have more time to get to know each other. A lot of people have a hard time accepting that scenario but what they don't realize is that it's nothing romantic. The wolves are just there to be protectors/big brothers until their imprint is ready for them.

Pendragon wrote:In the books it says that the imprinter would be anything the imprintee wants from him and that could be a bad thing as well. What if the imprintee wanted the person to become something completely different and goes against their original personality. I seem imprinting as something that can have negative side effects. I know for the most part SM has all the imprinting couples have have happy relationship with the exception of the Sam/Leah/Emily triangle, but even then those two are happy and Leah's misery doesn't really keep them down. SM doesn't really like conflict in the series that see to have no happy resolve so of course imprinting seems like it's all good but I feel in the real world imprinting can go wrong so many ways. Sorry if I seem ultra negative, this is just my views on it. :lol:
Well, you're intitaled to your own opinion whether it's negative or not lol. I don't think that the imprintee would ever want the wolf to become something that goes against their personality. I think that the imprintee loves the wolf just as much as the wolf loves them. They would want what's best for the wolf and I don't think that any of them would try to take advantage of the wolf. I don't think that "fate", or whatever it is that determines who the wolf imprints on, would allow the wolf to imprint on someone who would take advantage of them just b/c they know the wolf will do whatever the imprint wants.