General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Spartan
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: The Volturi Coven and Guard

Post by Spartan »

^ Very good point, I think Aro's a better villain because he has such an intuiging personality and motives. S'like Voldy is just a bloodist pig who wants to rule everything and just goes for it. Aro uses manipulation and guile etc. Also no-one is sure what Aro wants other than himself, his goals are very obscure, is it total power? To complete his collection? Another point is that Aro is a better villain because he also has emotions other than hate and fear ( diguised as hate) Aro doesn't automatically hate people or disriminate in such a way, he's all up for finding someone's inner talents and using them, whereas Voldy would just end up destroying stuff that helps him, like in The Deathly Hallows, Harry ends up winning because the Malfoys turn on Voldy as did Snape because Voldy underestimates the power of love. Aro wouldn't do that, he tries to keep everyone on his side happy. Bringing it back to Marcus, Marcus understands the relationships, see what makes them function etc. That's why Aro needs him. I also think that Marcus is just like such an important part of the volturi to the Vampires and Aro knows that so wont get rid of him, which could split alleigance and the likes.
* * Sapere Aude * * Jasper is my Edward : D
Adrienne
Learning to Love Green

Post by Adrienne »

Actually I think you answered the question right there. Aro wants total power just like Voldemort but unlike Voldemort, he just doesn't have it yet. I thought it was mentioned somewhere in the books that he loves to collects talents hence one of Demetri's purposes to better guard the Volturi's total power (or Aro's). While Aro may not seem as hateful as Voldemort, I still think he's just as bad. They're both selfish, want complete power, are both cunning in that they pretend to be good friends until you get on their bad side. Aro easily got rid of his sister for power gain which is not different than Voldemort killing anyone after he uses them for the same reason. I do agree with you that Aro is not all hateful but I only believe that that's bc of his total lack of power. Had he the same control that Voldemort has (after Dumbledore is gone which would be like the Cullens and all other talented vampires gone or on his side) I wonder how that would change him.

I think that Aro trying to keep everyone on his side happy is just a charade to manipulate them into thinking he really cares about them, Edward saw through his whole act being the only one who can read minds in New Moon. I think they both underestimate the power of love.

You know you are too into Twilight when you look at your husband and think

"Dammit, why don't you sparkle?"
Adrienne
Learning to Love Green

Post by Adrienne »

I know earlier we were discussing about how their eating habits work and transportation so I thought I'd post this
Question 5: How did the Volturi travel, because it seems like Jane would eat her way through an airliner. How would they get around?

Stephenie Meyer: The Volturi can be extremely civilized, now they have their own jet, of course, and they are quite able to use public transportation if there was ever a need. They are all able to control themselves. Jane, you know, just really doesn't like Bella, so that makes it tougher for her.
http://stepheniesays.livejournal.com/20266.html

You know you are too into Twilight when you look at your husband and think

"Dammit, why don't you sparkle?"
DumBumm
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by DumBumm »

Adrienne wrote:I know earlier we were discussing about how their eating habits work and transportation so I thought I'd post this
Question 5: How did the Volturi travel, because it seems like Jane would eat her way through an airliner. How would they get around?

Stephenie Meyer: The Volturi can be extremely civilized, now they have their own jet, of course, and they are quite able to use public transportation if there was ever a need. They are all able to control themselves. Jane, you know, just really doesn't like Bella, so that makes it tougher for her.
http://stepheniesays.livejournal.com/20266.html

Thanks for posting, i thought they'd have a jet, or something but its good that Stephenie said it.
DudeRocksTheTwilight
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: Chugging the postahol. On MSN, most likely. Tieing Sarah in thunderball.

Post by DudeRocksTheTwilight »

I think the Volturi is very interesting and functional. Of course, Chelsea did it, but still.
I think that the Volturi is the best coven in the series, other than the Cullens of course.
Al Puccini of the Mafia, Santiago of Volturi, Major Peter of JCA, EDC Bulldozer Trainee, APPC Host Jenni - TwiGirl
nzskiingscot
Settled in Forks

Post by nzskiingscot »

What is the reason behind the Volturi's filmed eyes, I feel like it's obvious and I'm just completely over looking it?
Just looking for my blue-eyed Edward. Seen him anywhere?
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

nzskiingscot wrote:What is the reason behind the Volturi's filmed eyes, I feel like it's obvious and I'm just completely over looking it?
I think it had to do with their age. They are some of the oldest vamps out there, and while they might not age, their eyes do change.
SweetImpakt
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by SweetImpakt »

RebeccaCullen wrote:
nzskiingscot wrote:What is the reason behind the Volturi's filmed eyes, I feel like it's obvious and I'm just completely over looking it?
I think it had to do with their age. They are some of the oldest vamps out there, and while they might not age, their eyes do change.
Yes I thought it was just Aro, Marcus and Caius that have the filmed eyes, so it might have to do with age, but also with being inside all the time. They don't come out very often. Didn't Stephan and Vladimir say their skin was so papery because of the being inside all the time thing ? Maybe the eyes are also a product of being inside for a long time.

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
MyAddiction
Settled in Forks

Post by MyAddiction »

I think the main reason that people go to the castle or whatever is because many people die there. I know it sounds stupid, but think of why people go to rumored haunted houses or watch horror movies. It's all about scaring yourself and testing your limits. Unfortunately for those people, they can never test their limits again. :cry:
Alou
Settled in Forks

Post by Alou »

I love the Volturi. And their eyes is partially because of their long lives, but also due to the fact that they don't move around as much.