General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Re: Alice and Jasper

Post by ringswraith »

I won't quote the post, seeing as it's already quite long, but allow me to explain.

As far as the last point- Alice would see what to do that would please him best. That's all I'll say. :)

Regarding Bella telling Edward not to take her away in Twilight (re: James), he was too intent on keeping her away from James that he couldn't see where she was going with her argument. You have to remember that he can't read her mind, and she is after all a human- why would she come up with something his incredible mind couldn't? Once Bella got her idea out, he does make concessions to its virtue. Alice certainly did, which helped change his mind. (Truthfully, had it been Alice in danger, Jasper would probably have told her to run while he killed/destroyed the threat himself.)

Just to clarify- I was saying that Jasper could be quite overbearingly protective, but Alice keeps him in line. Alice is his whole world- he would do anything for her, just as Edward would do for Bella. It's not 100% the same, but again: Jasper wanted to kill Bella to protect Alice in Twilight; he wanted to catch up to them in Volterra in New Moon; he threatens Jacob at the party in Eclipse because Jacob was too close to Alice, and he also gets hurt because he tried to make sure Alice didn't have to do much in the fight with the newborns. Alice even chides him for that: "Overprotective fool."

I think the main reason that the Alice/Jasper and Edward/Bella relationships are viewed differently is the fact that Bella is human. She is the martyr who doesn't want anyone to see her pain, so she views Edward's overprotectiveness through those eyes, and we see him "colored" that way because of her point of view. We don't really see the Alice/Jasper relationship because we're not treated to their points-of-view- just sidelines from Edward or Bella. Take from that as you will- not trying to change your viewpoint, just illustrating mine. :)

As for Bella and the selfless/selfish thing, I can see how she'd be viewed either way. In my opinion, there's only one thing that she's selfish with- and that's Edward. But even with him, she commits actions to let him off the hook- trying to make it easier for him to be around her for example.

I do have to disagree with you regarding the scene in New Moon, after Alice talks to Jasper over the phone and lies to him. She tells Bella she can't have him get hurt- even if it means that she, Bella, and Edward would die. Bella would have tried to figure something out to prevent this, but there wasn't time.

Also, Bella being changed in Eclipse- I also disagree. As you said, Alice would have forseen anything "dangerous" (or in her mind, "stupid") that Bella would do, and worked to prevent it- such as going to Seattle herself. And if you recall, there is a scene in the cafeteria where Bella does suggest they change her so she could help in the fight. Alice was the one who told her it would be the opposite of helpful- she'd be a newborn, relying on instinct alone, likely getting herself into more trouble and Edward would get hurt trying to keep her safe. So there really was no way for Bella to go and become a vampire if the intention was to help during the fight.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Ironically enough, this is my first post on the Jasper & Alice thread. So, I will start by introducing myself. My name is Jazz Girl, and as you can probably tell by my name, I am a big fan particularly of Jasper, but I absolutely love the two of them together. I personally believe they have the strongest of all of the Cullen relationships. They truly do complete each other, and that just makes their relationship so strong. There is no one without the other. So beautiful.
ringswraith wrote:On topic. After reading Breaking Dawn, and the first night Bella and Edward stay in their house (no knocking her house!), Edward tells her about the other couples and what they do at night. Which got me thinking.

If you were Alice or Jasper, would you or wouldn't you use your ability to "enhance" the experience?
An interesting question to start with, I suppose. I agree with EclipseRox, that Jasper's abilities might be the most... useful... in this situation. But, I don't think he would use it. I think the both of them together are pure emotion, and there wouldn't be any reason to tamper with that.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Well said. :)
Gi.Kodaly
Learning to Love Green

Post by Gi.Kodaly »

Maybe Jasper could use a little lust? IDK, Alice doesn't seem very lustful to me. LOL And Edward in BD doesn't mention them when he's telling Bella about the other couple's sex lives. Maybe it's because when Edward met them their horny moments had passed. :lol:
Team Rosalie!
Change Your Mind
Bliss
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

Gi.Kodaly wrote:Maybe Jasper could use a little lust? IDK, Alice doesn't seem very lustful to me. LOL And Edward in BD doesn't mention them when he's telling Bella about the other couple's sex lives. Maybe it's because when Edward met them their horny moments had passed. :lol:
Sorry, Gi.Kodaly, I have to completely disagree. First, if I remember correctly, Edward really only mentions Rose and Em when he's talking about the other couples, talking about how they were the worst with the lusting. That makes total sense. Both of them are such physical beings, their relationship is a very physical relationship. And they are very overt, very showy, about it. But, I think Jasper and Alice would be the exact opposite. Their connection is so emotional, so magical, they only ever need each other. I have no doubt that they are as into each other physically as any of the other couples, maybe even more so. But, it is just so intimate, so close between them, that they are very subtle about it. I think the best way to see it is through their reunion at the airport in NM. Alice has just returned from a suicide mission in Italy, miraculously alive. By most interpretations, their reunion should be an all out assault on each other. But, it is exactly the opposite. They hurry to each other, embrace and stand together, just stand, head to head, staring into each other's eyes, reveling in just being in each other's presence. Amazing.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by eclipserox »

Jazz Girl wrote:
Gi.Kodaly wrote:Maybe Jasper could use a little lust? IDK, Alice doesn't seem very lustful to me. LOL And Edward in BD doesn't mention them when he's telling Bella about the other couple's sex lives. Maybe it's because when Edward met them their horny moments had passed. :lol:
Sorry, Gi.Kodaly, I have to completely disagree. First, if I remember correctly, Edward really only mentions Rose and Em when he's talking about the other couples, talking about how they were the worst with the lusting. That makes total sense. Both of them are such physical beings, their relationship is a very physical relationship. And they are very overt, very showy, about it. But, I think Jasper and Alice would be the exact opposite. Their connection is so emotional, so magical, they only ever need each other. I have no doubt that they are as into each other physically as any of the other couples, maybe even more so. But, it is just so intimate, so close between them, that they are very subtle about it. I think the best way to see it is through their reunion at the airport in NM. Alice has just returned from a suicide mission in Italy, miraculously alive. By most interpretations, their reunion should be an all out assault on each other. But, it is exactly the opposite. They hurry to each other, embrace and stand together, just stand, head to head, staring into each other's eyes, reveling in just being in each other's presence. Amazing.
I completely agree with you, Jazz Girl. In the personal correspondence, SM characterized Emmet and Rose's relationship as the most physical and described each of them as very physical beings. Emmet is very much into athletics and showing off his physical strength. Rose is primarily concerned with her physical beauty. SM also said something to the effect of neither of them are very deep, and, thus their relationship is probably the least deep of all the Cullen romances. We know that Emmet and Rose are very "showy" with their relationship, having several extravagant weddings and honeymoons. For everyone else, one wedding was enough. We also saw that Emmet was the most comfortable with discussing physical relationships, which is not surprising. None of the other characters really discussed their physical relationships or other family members' relationships, but Emmet did. He was the only one who teased Bella after the wedding and mentioned how many houses he and Rose destroyed. It makes sense that Emmet and Rose would be the most obvious about their physical connection. Perhaps the only reason Edward mentioned Emmet and Rose's sex life but did not bring up Jasper and Alice's is because he knew Emmet and Rose would not mind, while Jasper and Alice are not showy and might mind. Edward refers to Alice as his favorite sister. He would not say anything about her sex life that might embarrass or upset her.

In BD, Edward mentions that sleeping with Bella was better than drinking human blood right after they first sleep together. He says that his brothers said physical intimacy was second only to drinking human blood. He reasons that his intense love for Bella made their physical relationship better. I would argue that along the same lines, Jasper and Alice would have a very good physical relationship because they are also deeply in love. Emmet and Rose are probably not able to achieve the same kind of pleasure from truly making love with someone you are deeply in love with that most of the other couples experience.
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

Okay, time for an Alice & Jasper question:

How do you think Alice and Jasper's first few days with the Cullens went? What was their first reaction to her and Jasper? What about Edward's reaction to them?
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Mrs. Jasper Hale
Lusting for Blood

Post by Mrs. Jasper Hale »

Jazz Girl wrote:
How do you think Alice and Jasper's first few days with the Cullens went? What was their first reaction to her and Jasper? What about Edward's reaction to them?
Well, from Eclipse we know that the Cullens were all a bit shocked when Alice and Jasper arrived!

Jasper shows up, covered in battle scars, towing this little freak who greets them all by name, knows everything about them, and wants to know which room she can move into.
Edward Cullen, Eclipse, Chapter 13, p.302

I can't find the exact quote but Edward then says something about Alice moving all his stuff into the garage because it had the best view.

So I would think that knowing the Cullens they would be more then welcoming to these newcomers and Carlisle would love to share his philosophy and things. Esme, being the mother figure would probably have been a little cautious but embracing two more people into her little family. Edward was probably very cautious and kept an eye on the two because of Jasper's hard time of restraining himself. Emmett was probably happy to have someone else to wrestle with and Rosalie probably didn't really care.

Honestly, I think they all most likely easily accepted Alice. I mean she is so hard to not love. I think Jasper would be the one they had the hardest time with.
"Forged in war, born of death, saved by love." -Jackson Rathbone on Jasper Hale
ImageImage
Twilight Mafia- Roxy Bengaza
english rose
Wandering Through Town

Post by english rose »

hey guys, just wanted to know what you thort about the way vampires fall in love. its been really bugging me and i need help to get over it because the love stories in the book, especially bella/ edward and alice/jasper are amazing and ive somehow got myslf doubting them.
:evil: in midnight sun when edward watches bella sleep for the first time and he truely falls in love with her he says that change in a vampire is really rare and when it does happen its permenant and he also comments that carlise looks at esme the same way he did at the start.
i like that idea and at first i thought it was really sweet but then it made me think. just before edward says this he says that when such a change happens in a vampire its permanent. do you think its still real love if they cant physically undo it and also does the relationship develope if they still look at there love in the same way they do at the beginning! help me! i cant get the stupid idea that this fact lessens all the vampire relationships and i really need someone to convince me otherwise! just made me wonder why all the cullens have found there perfect match and are still crazy about each other after all this time, is it purely because the change that occured when they origionall fell in love is permanent or as im desperate to believe maybe a vampire can only fall in love with their true soulmate and thats how it works. is the way a vampire falls in love more similar to impinting than i first thort or have i got it all wrong! i can get abit obsessive and when i get something in my head that i dont like it drives me mad and i cant continue reading till ive resolved it! crazy eh!

rose x
"now you know, no one's ever loved anyone as much as i love you"
"i know of just one exception"
"liar"
And then we continued blissfully into this small but perfect piece of our forever

team edward all the way!
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

english rose wrote:hey guys, just wanted to know what you thort about the way vampires fall in love. its been really bugging me and i need help to get over it because the love stories in the book, especially bella/ edward and alice/jasper are amazing and ive somehow got myslf doubting them.
:evil: in midnight sun when edward watches bella sleep for the first time and he truely falls in love with her he says that change in a vampire is really rare and when it does happen its permenant and he also comments that carlise looks at esme the same way he did at the start.
i like that idea and at first i thought it was really sweet but then it made me think. just before edward says this he says that when such a change happens in a vampire its permanent. do you think its still real love if they cant physically undo it and also does the relationship develope if they still look at there love in the same way they do at the beginning! help me! i cant get the stupid idea that this fact lessens all the vampire relationships and i really need someone to convince me otherwise! just made me wonder why all the cullens have found there perfect match and are still crazy about each other after all this time, is it purely because the change that occured when they origionall fell in love is permanent or as im desperate to believe maybe a vampire can only fall in love with their true soulmate and thats how it works. is the way a vampire falls in love more similar to impinting than i first thort or have i got it all wrong! i can get abit obsessive and when i get something in my head that i dont like it drives me mad and i cant continue reading till ive resolved it! crazy eh!

rose x
English Rose, a deep question indeed. Let me first say welcome. I notice you're kind of new to the Lex. I hope you enjoy our random musings. Anyway, back to your question. First, I'll start by saying I agree with your last idea most. While I don't think it's anything like the imprinting werewolves experience, I think vampires are...very selective...about who they are attracted to or fall in love with. It takes a lot to turn the head of a vampire. So, it would take nothing less than that person's soulmate to attract them.

I don't think the idea that the change is permanent lessens it in anyway. On the contrary, I think it makes it that much more amazing. Vampires are unchangeable. Everything about them is locked in place when they transform. Love causes humans to do all sorts of crazy things, change a lot of aspects about themselves. I am not saying that in a bad way, but you definitely have to be flexible to love another person. So, for a vampire to experience that kind of change is borderline miraculous.

As for why their relationships seem to stay in that fresh new love stage, that I can't answer. My theory is that the vampires expanded capacity for thought and emotion allows them to experience that new love everyday, with nothing about it ever growing comfortable or routine. But, take it from an old married woman. There will come a day when the mundane concerns of doing the laundry, mowing the lawn and paying the bills, those everyday chores of being a married couple, make life so routine that you will think longingly of those first new days with your partner. I envy Alice & Jasper, Bella & Edward, Esme & Carlile, even Rose & Emmett. Even at 3# and married for nigh on 10 years, SM managed to give me an unrealistic expectation of love. And, Alice & Jasper's is the most wonderful of all of them.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty