General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
who_needs_fangs?
Digging the Castle Motif

Re: Twilight Saga Q&A #3

Post by who_needs_fangs? »

If you read 'Being Jacob Black' on SM's website, he mentions that Bella smelled like she was wearing a very strong, vile and overly sweet perfume that he hated. He didn't know that it was Edward's scent on her.
|Allie (Red) and Sami (Cocoa) and Sydney (Yank) are ❤|Conch=twin|
|SBS|Major V|Heidi Volturi|Veronica Ricci|Some other stuff I forgot|
|Banner Screenshots by Squid, Avie by Abby|
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Ah- good catch Naureen. I'd forgotten about that.

New Moon was rather difficult for me to read. And I'm close to reading it again (rereading Twilight at the moment).
eliselovesedwardx
Completely Dazzled!

Post by eliselovesedwardx »

Thanks guys!

Oh Naureen! Now that you mention it, I remeber reading that ages ago!
Thanks guys! :D
::Elise:: Backhoe Operator for EDC, Inc~EDC's Cheer Squad Captain!
I'm on the List~The names Mooner
i2foundu
Wandering Through Town

Post by i2foundu »

When I was thinking/writing about the whole living donor idea I wasn't thinking of the Cullens necessarily. I actually thought about it being more of the Volturri style. Maybe even some of the other non-vegan vamipires.
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

i2foundu wrote:When I was thinking/writing about the whole living donor idea I wasn't thinking of the Cullens necessarily. I actually thought about it being more of the Volturri style. Maybe even some of the other non-vegan vamipires.
Even worse (for the humans). What possible reason would they have to do such a thing? They don't see anything wrong with the way they live, so why bother?

(Not trying to be difficult; just pointing it out for discussion.)
who_needs_fangs?
Digging the Castle Motif

Post by who_needs_fangs? »

Can you imagine how horrifying it would be to the human who was bitten, felt extreme pain for the few seconds it was in the blood stream, then lost a relatively sizable amount of blood? And that's not even opening the can of worms that is emotional trauma! Frankly, what the Volturi do now is much more convenient and much more humane.
|Allie (Red) and Sami (Cocoa) and Sydney (Yank) are ❤|Conch=twin|
|SBS|Major V|Heidi Volturi|Veronica Ricci|Some other stuff I forgot|
|Banner Screenshots by Squid, Avie by Abby|
i2foundu
Wandering Through Town

Post by i2foundu »

The Volturi are interested inkeeping vampires as a low profile. Even if it didn't have to be a bite It could be continuously donated....
Because it makes it harder to resist killing people. Satisfying the craving does not make them LESS likely to kill someone by accident in a fit of thirst. It makes them MORE likely to do it. Keeping that flavor off their tongue is a way to protect people.
This shows that if vampires live remotely, that survival could be possible. They wouldn't have to kill as many. If someone was trying to create an army .... yikes the implications. They could actually hide it from the press for awhile. The Volturri might not know there is a war coming. Just makes me think why the Romainians didn't think of that years ago...

Edit: I'm not sure that killing thousands can be more humane than torturing a few. Especially with the thought of getting volunteers. My thoughts are starting to go south from here i think... Totally different ethical dilemas!
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

i2foundu wrote:When I was thinking/writing about the whole living donor idea I wasn't thinking of the Cullens necessarily. I actually thought about it being more of the Volturri style. Maybe even some of the other non-vegan vamipires.
The idea of the living donors gives me the creepy crawlies! Even just the phrase "living donors." Yikes!

I think the way the Volturi feed is probably more humane for the INDIVIDUAL (even if the living donors volunteer) but it's not better for, you know, humankind.

Image Image Image
ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

Okay. I'm having some trouble understanding your points, so bear with me.
i2foundu wrote:The Volturi are interested inkeeping vampires as a low profile. Even if it didn't have to be a bite It could be continuously donated....
And how would having (even willing) lots of people to take some blood from be keeping a low profile? You know how some people donate blood? You're forbidden to donate blood if you've given some within a certain period of time. A vampire- worse, a group of them- feeding the way you describe will decimate even a city. If they really don't want to kill the people, they'll have to rotate who they feed from, and then give them time to recover. And again- how does that contribute to a low profile? Even the Volturi ate their human servants once they were no longer useful.
i2foundu wrote:
Because it makes it harder to resist killing people. Satisfying the craving does not make them LESS likely to kill someone by accident in a fit of thirst. It makes them MORE likely to do it. Keeping that flavor off their tongue is a way to protect people.
This shows that if vampires live remotely, that survival could be possible. They wouldn't have to kill as many. If someone was trying to create an army .... yikes the implications. They could actually hide it from the press for awhile. The Volturri might not know there is a war coming. Just makes me think why the Romainians didn't think of that years ago...

Edit: I'm not sure that killing thousands can be more humane than torturing a few. Especially with the thought of getting volunteers. My thoughts are starting to go south from here i think... Totally different ethical dilemas!
Again- see the "low profile" argument I made above. But what I want to know is, how do you construe what I quoted from the Personal Correspondence as evidence that the vampires can then not kill people?

The quote says vampires are more likely to kill a person if they keep tasting human blood. You seem to be saying the opposite, that you think it means they're less likely to kill the human. Am I misunderstanding?
chowzinha
Learning to Love Green

Post by chowzinha »

Since vampires have acute senses and are able to hear whispers and sounds coming from a distance, how come Alice did not hear James voice through the cellphone when Bella was being threatened by him in the hotel scene? And the fact that she was in another room does not justify it, because his first words to her was while she was still standing close to Alice, just walking slowly away...

Could it be another of SM's loopholes in the plot?