General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Re: Twilight Saga #4

Post by fanMNM »

I so enjoyed reading all of the "what if" answers! They helped me form my own thoughts on the topic...

In thinking about it, I'd have to agree that all of the wolves would not survive, although I believe Jacob would get away with Nessie. Jacob is that dedicated to Nessie, and he would do whatever it takes to get her to safety. I just believe they would get away.

I know that if SM followed the "rules" of literature, it would be wrong for Bella and Edward died (as someone else previosuly suggested) but I think that's why she avoided the fight actually happening at all because I don't see them making it out of there alive. Bella would have been the main target of all the guard so they could get to the others, and I don't see Edward surviving without her. Honestly, I think Alice and Jasper have the best chance, simply because of Jasper's background and Alice's abilities. Esme and Rose would be taken down quickly, I think...if Bella was taken down, and then I think Emmett would fight like crazy, take out a lot of the Volturi, but eventually he'd be taken down simply because he would be outnumbered. Carlisle would fight intelligently, but I think again, numbers would be against him and he'd fall in the end.

I think a vast majority of the Volturi would be taken out, certainly all of the main characters. Although, perhaps Aro would survive cause I see him as the type to flee the scene as soon as things didn't go his way.

Anyway, just my ideas on the topic :)

Thank you Naureen!!
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

^^ I think it would be breaking literary canon for Bella to die b/c we're hearing the story from her POV (like, mid-battle, the POV would have to change which would be totally awkward to say the least), but I don't think the same is true with Edward. In fact, I could absolutely see him dying to protect Bella, or Alice, or Nessie.

Man, when I first read the question I thought I was going to refuse to answer. I STILL refuse to answer. Not because it's a bad question, it's really a great one...only because I don't want to think about it. Anymore. Ahem.

Image Image Image
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I thought about Bella not being able to die because the book was from her POV, but SM did change POVs between Jacob and Bella, so I figure, if that's they way the battle went, SM would have switched to someone else telling the story...maybe Jacob since he got away with Nessie at the last possible moment? Who knows...

Thank you Naureen!!
Lacuna Scion
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Lacuna Scion »

^^^ You know I thought about that. But, I figured if Bella were to die we'd have Jacob's second book. But if we didn't have any good guys survive then who would tell the story? Would we suddenly switch to an omniscient narrator? That would've been really weird.

When I initially read BD, I started Jake's book and I got concerned. I knew something was up, but I just couldn't figure it out. Then towards the end of his book, when Bella goes into such violent labor, I freaked out. It clicked in my head: SM had set up Jake's book because Bella was going to die and she needed a way to get the rest of the story out. She set it up early in the book so it wouldn't be so abrupt. I was absolutely hysterical. I was only half way through Nessie's birth scene, and I called a friend sobbing, "She dies, she dies! Why didn't you tell me she dies?!" - it was really bad, I'm actually a bit ashamed of my behavior :roll:. My friend calmed me down and just told me, "Keep reading." And well you know what happens.

So after that awkward segue, I was kind of wondering: do you think SM ever envisioned a ending (other than "the (non existent) battle scene" - n.e.b.s.) where a character wasn't going to make it? Do you think she imagined a circumstance where Edward just snapped and killed Bella or James came back from the dead and finally got Alice or anything like that? (obviously I'm kidding about the latter :P )
Team Leah - The Crappy Little Renegade Team | Team Esme
Team Carlisle | Screw You Freaks! I pick Ben! | Volturi - Rosalind
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

I seem to recall reading or hearing an interview where Stephenie Meyer admitted to writing a different take of BD, called Breaking Down. I believe everyone died (the only detail I remember is that Bella jumps off a cliff- well, she attempts to, changes her mind, and falls anyway when she trips on her feet).

Of course I could be remembering something totally off... Anyone remember hearing this too?
who_needs_fangs?
Digging the Castle Motif

Post by who_needs_fangs? »

^That was her planning to write a parody of her stories or something along the lines.
|Allie (Red) and Sami (Cocoa) and Sydney (Yank) are ❤|Conch=twin|
|SBS|Major V|Heidi Volturi|Veronica Ricci|Some other stuff I forgot|
|Banner Screenshots by Squid, Avie by Abby|
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

I think if someone died (not Edward :P)... it would of made the ending of the series better. I know that sounds cruel :cry: and im happy with the way it ended, but I liked to be completely shocked, and having someone die would just be so awful and painful - which would make a good ending.
:?
I just found the ending to BD easy.. everyone got what they wanted - which is okay, but I wanted something huge and dramatic. Like jake dying :lol: :P :lol:

If Bella died, then Edward would die to.. which would make me hate the series :P
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Ah- thanks Naureen. :)

I think Stephenie Meyer should put that up on her website, at least. Would make for an interesting read.

I'm almost 100% sure that Bella would have perished if it came to a battle. Aro would have wanted her, but she would never willingly join the Volturi. And with her immune to Chelsea's power... she would be deemed too dangerous to exist. Depending on how threatened the Volturi feel, the order would have come down to kill her.
purple_panda
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by purple_panda »

hmmm
Bella-she has to live, just has to. I just can't picture her dying. she would most likely be injured when trying to protect edward or renesmee, but i think she would make it
Edward-once again, has to live. Not only because it would be awful if he died, but i think he has enough experience/advantage to live through it
Emmett-nope. sadly, he relies too much on strength. i think he would be killed by felix or demitri
Rosalie-no. she would be outraged at whoever killed emmett, and would let her anger take control of her. i beleive she would kill someone, but then would be killed.
Alice-yes. alice is very tiny, but she seems to be able to work that to her advantage. plus, she has the visions and responds well.
Jasper-i think so. Not quite sure, but i think he would make it. his ability to control people's emotions would work to his (and alice's) advantage.
Carlisle-no, he hates fighting too much. he would probably try to compromise with someone (so he wouldn't have to kill them) and be killed.
Esme-no. she's not a fighter.
Jake and Renesmee- yes they would run off before the fight broke out and reunite with the survivors.
Volturi- aro and caius would survive. not marcus. Jane and Alec would be killed, they rely on their abilities too much. Demetri would be killed, he is a priority. Felix would survive though. Heidi (spelling?) would make it, i don't know why, i just feel that she would. as for the wives, none of them would make it.
Adrienne
Learning to Love Green

Post by Adrienne »

fanMNM wrote:In thinking about it, I'd have to agree that all of the wolves would not survive, although I believe Jacob would get away with Nessie. Jacob is that dedicated to Nessie, and he would do whatever it takes to get her to safety. I just believe they would get away.
That's how I feel. We've seen the lengths the others will go for their loved ones and the bond between these two is just too strong even if it's not the love of mature lovers. Jacob would do absolutely anything, no matter how outrages, even if it killed Bella, to protect Nessie. I'm sure he would not join the fight considering it a huge risk in Nessie's safety.

I'm sure Stephenie would be so proud of us here lol. At first I was a little mad that a fight didn't break out and that the Cullens didn't get rid of the Volturi once and for all but after reading all these posts and really trying to think it through, there's just no fair way that all the main characters would've survived. It just wouldn't be possible so I'm happy with how it ended.

You know you are too into Twilight when you look at your husband and think

"Dammit, why don't you sparkle?"