Pronounciation Key

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
vamp na hEireann
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: Turning Bill and Tom into vampires.Seriously were did the sun go?oh right...this is Ireland

Re: Pronounciation Key

Post by vamp na hEireann »

Sorry for the correction but sean actually means old,beag means small, and teach is like choc.Sorry but stuff like that bugs me a bit.
Midnight Sun Virgin!
|----[|██████]=----
ImageTrainee of EDC Inc. Private of Jaspers Confederate Army,Go Stainless Claret! Twilight Mafia
soozabooza54
Frozen in Time

Post by soozabooza54 »

She is right - I had a brain fart moment. Although I always learned teach pronounced differently, but I think that might go to different dialects having different pronunciations.

Thanks for the correction. :)
E<3B
My pop culture blog - check it out! - http://asyetuntitled1.blogspot.com/
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

I was pronouncing Siobhan and Aro wrong as well. Even now that I know the correct way, it's hard to correct it in my mind. That's going to take some time.

I didn't have too many problems with the other names though. Except Didyme. I tried doing a search online. I came up with a bunch of sites that I couldn't understand and one that pronounced it as Di-deem. So I'm still not sure how to say it. I was thinking Dee-di-may or Dee-di-mee when I first read it. Does anyone know for sure?
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
vamp na hEireann
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: Turning Bill and Tom into vampires.Seriously were did the sun go?oh right...this is Ireland

Post by vamp na hEireann »

Yeah I would depend a lot on the dialect.especially if it's the Donegal dialect,you cant make out a word they say cos its so different!
Midnight Sun Virgin!
|----[|██████]=----
ImageTrainee of EDC Inc. Private of Jaspers Confederate Army,Go Stainless Claret! Twilight Mafia
TwilightObsessed321
Settled in Forks

Post by TwilightObsessed321 »

Miss Vengeance wrote:Haha, you're definitely not the only one.

I kept pronouncing it See-oh-bon. Talk about embarrassing. It's such a misleading name!
Yow! No, you certainly are NOT the only one. Yikes. I'd been pronouncing it See-oh-bawn. It's going to take a while to get used to Shiv-awn. :oops: Wow, I feel really stupid now. :lol:
Hugs,
Cara
Image Twilight Is Timeless Image
Anarey
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Anarey »

srabrgr wrote:HOLY COW! It's pronounced shi-von? Well now don't I just feel like an idiot.
I bugged my friend for saying Carlisle ,Car-liss-le, and I have been walking around saying Siobahn, Seye-oh-bhan :oops: Lol

By the way, isn't Caius an amazingly cool name? I LOVE the name, not much of a Cauis fan though :?
I pronounced Carlisle like that too (or Car-lill sometimes LOL) until I read the right pronunciation here. And Siobahn I just sayed Siowhatever in my mind and never even tried to figure out how to pronounce it or say it out loud.

Caius is the way Roman "goverment" used to identify themselves (or so I read somewhere) ie. Caius Julius Ceasar

Aro and other Italian names were easy for me because I speak Spanish and in Spanish words are pronounced the same way they are written and the same is for some words in Portuguese and Italian. Following the same line, Volturi is pronounced Vohl-too-ree.

PS. I thought the only word I say with an English accent was can't but I pronounce arrow Ah-row, I have no idea where I heard it pronounced like that, maybe in some US accents they say it like that... or maybe I was English on my past live lol.
ImageCan't wait til Nov 20!!

"A mighty pain to love it is, and 'tis a pain that pain to miss; but of all the pains, the greatest pain is to love, but love in vain."
-Abraham Crowley
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by bite_me »

For some reason when i first read the books i was saying emmett like em-may, cos I saw it and thought it was like ballet. :oops:
AND i said carlisle car-liss-ul
the only one i got right and my friend didn't was laurent.
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?
ExcellentIwin
Settled in Forks

Post by ExcellentIwin »

Wow, definately didn't know that Siobhan was Shiv-awn. Hahh I kept saying Sigh-Oh-Bahn. And Quileute.. or however you spell it. I always said Keel-e-et.. hahaha wayyyy offf.
xxxforbiddenxxx
Settled in Forks

Post by xxxforbiddenxxx »

I've been pretty good with the pronunciations, Siobhan excluded. My favorite mispronunciation was my friends way of saying Carlisle. Apparently she thinks there's an "h" in there because she says Char-liss-ull. Where she cam up with that I'll never know.
I think all books should come with pronunciation guides, that woulds have saved me and my friends from a lot of arguments.
SpunkRansom
Settled in Forks

Post by SpunkRansom »

Whoa, this is all sooo confusing hahah.
Someone needs to make a whole list of these.

I still can't get over the Siobhan one!
Thanks for posting this thread, its helped TONS. :D