General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
escapist1901
Settled in Forks

Re: Bella's Pregnancy

Post by escapist1901 »

renesmeecarlie wrote:You can obviously tell by my username that I LOVE the name that Bella chose, but that's just me...ever since I read BD I've tried combining my parents names and my boyfriends parents names but nothing remotely acceptable has come out of that yet :lol: ...

Does anyone else wonder why Bella was SO sure that the baby was a boy? Do you think it's just because she loves Edward so much and thinks he's so perfect that they would have the perfect son or do you think it's something else?
I'm back in action, yay!! I have lots to post on other topics actually but thought I'd throw in a thought on this question cause it was such a good one!

Funny enough this was one of the few aspects of the pregnancy that I could kind of "understand" from the beginning! Bella was having dreams about baby boys before she knew she was pregnant, so I think it was natural for her to assume once she was pregnant that her dreams were in fact premonitions. In her dreams she was always having to protect the baby. I believe part of why the baby was a boy is because the people Bella is the most protective of are the men in her life - Edward, Jacob, Charlie. Though she took care of her mom and, as we saw in the first book especially, is very protective of her, the people for whom Bella worries after the most are the men. Knowing that the child in her dreams was in need of protection, it was natural for me that Bella would protect a boy rather than a girl :)
"I didn't see that one coming!"
TeamEdward1918
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Location: Wandering outside Forks looking for a certain house...

Post by TeamEdward1918 »

First of all, escapist, welcome back! :D

And second, interesting theory! Good thinking, that would totally make sense why she would feel so strongly about protecting a boy, when those are the three people that mean the most to her, and even more, as you said, the ones she worries about the most. Charlie, Jacob and Edward. Hmm, good point :)
I am a Twilighter with OCD
"I squared my shoulders and walked forward to meet my fate, with my destiny solidly at my side"
E<3B
Edward Cullen: Volvos Never Looked So Good
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

My theory to the topic currently being discussed:

Bella thinks of Edward as perfection personified. I think she was hoping for a boy because she could imagine how perfect a baby version of Edward would be. She probably had no idea just how perfect a girl would be, since her idea of perfection is a guy. (Did that make sense? :) )

Also, I know there's at least three females in the house she could have related to (Esme, Rosalie, Alice), but she wasn't having a baby with *them*. ;)
escapist1901
Settled in Forks

Post by escapist1901 »

It's great to be back TeamEdward! I've felt like a bad friend the past 10 days, not showing up to chat at all!
ringswraith wrote:My theory to the topic currently being discussed:
Bella thinks of Edward as perfection personified. I think she was hoping for a boy because she could imagine how perfect a baby version of Edward would be. She probably had no idea just how perfect a girl would be, since her idea of perfection is a guy. (Did that make sense? :) )
So here's my thinking on this...
I definitely think that Bella's idea of perfection is Edward...but I guess I have a hard time seeing why she would transfer this to a child. This primarily stems from the fact that prior to getting pregnant Bella never saw herself as maternal, children weren't really on the radar. I can understand her seeing a beauitful little boy after she realized it was Edward's baby. But, I'm not really sure I can see why she would attach this to a child that she did not see as her own in her pre-pregnancy dreams. Not sure if I was able to articulate that very well or not :?
TeamEdward1918

Post by TeamEdward1918 »

escapist1901 wrote:It's great to be back TeamEdward! I've felt like a bad friend the past 10 days, not showing up to chat at all!

So here's my thinking on this...
I definitely think that Bella's idea of perfection is Edward...but I guess I have a hard time seeing why she would transfer this to a child. This primarily stems from the fact that prior to getting pregnant Bella never saw herself as maternal, children weren't really on the radar. I can understand her seeing a beauitful little boy after she realized it was Edward's baby. But, I'm not really sure I can see why she would attach this to a child that she did not see as her own in her pre-pregnancy dreams. Not sure if I was able to articulate that very well or not :?
Aw, no worries! I sent you back a PM :D

This has become an interesting discussion. I'm startin to think it may be a combination of pretty much everything that's been said here. Hmm, wish SM had just said in an interview why she dreamed of a boy. I keep going back to the story Bella was told of the immortal baby boy, and that might have been what started it....I don't know anymore :lol:
"I squared my shoulders and walked forward to meet my fate, with my destiny solidly at my side"
E<3B
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I wish I could remember where, but in an interview somewhere SM did say that it was because Bella wanted a perfect little Edward that she dreamed up a boy. I'll try to find the interview!
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
TeamEdward1918

Post by TeamEdward1918 »

That would be awesome! I'd love to read it. Thanks for looking :D
E<3B
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Q: Drew asks, “Why did you have Bella envision having a son rather than a daughter?”

A: So I always knew, I mean, Renesemee was always Renesemee, and there was always- she’s just is such a strong character to me that I always knew that was going to happen. But then when I was getting into Bella’s head and looking at it from her perspective, she has a few issues with herself that she learned to get over. But at the time she can’t imagine anything more beautiful than Edward. So it seemed to her that his son would be the most beautiful thing possible and the most amazing thing because she always sees him in that light. But you know, Renesemee’s even more than she had hoped for. So she was surprised but happily.
That was found here: http://www.twilightlexiconblog.com/?page_id=1302
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
escapist1901
Settled in Forks

Post by escapist1901 »

debussygirl wrote:
Q: Drew asks, “Why did you have Bella envision having a son rather than a daughter?”
A: So I always knew, I mean, Renesemee was always Renesemee, and there was always- she’s just is such a strong character to me that I always knew that was going to happen. But then when I was getting into Bella’s head and looking at it from her perspective, she has a few issues with herself that she learned to get over. But at the time she can’t imagine anything more beautiful than Edward. So it seemed to her that his son would be the most beautiful thing possible and the most amazing thing because she always sees him in that light. But you know, Renesemee’s even more than she had hoped for. So she was surprised but happily.
Thanks for posting that debussygirl! I do find it so interesting...like I can see where SM was coming from in her character development of Bella but at the same time the Bella she developed led me personally to completely different reasons behind the boy v. girl dream kid! *Grin* I love books!
TeamEdward1918

Post by TeamEdward1918 »

Interesting, thanks for posting that! :D
E<3B