General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: The Science of Twilight

Post by Angelvamp »

Openhome wrote:As to the venom in the female areas, yeah, I wondered about that as well. I honestly thought she might change due to the ripping that occurs naturally during first intercourse. What a horrid way to change that would have been! :shock: :oops:
No kidding! Ouch doesn't even cover it! :shock:
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
suzzeeQ
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by suzzeeQ »

This is sort of off topic, but it reminds me of Jessica in True Blood. She didn't lose her virginity until after she became a vampire. The second time she had sex, she realized her hymen "grew back". She'll technically be a virgin for the rest of her existence. Poor Jessica!
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

Now getting back to Nessie and Jacob's genetics, does one think that Nessie's half vampireism and Jake's half werewolf/shapeshifterism can be bred our over the years if later generations of their children and descendants breed with humans? Granted, how dominant those triats are compared to their human sides is just speculation, but could later generations of Renesmee and Jacob's descendants become increasingly human, making/keeping pure dhampirs and shapeshifters rare?
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Well, you have to define something first. What, to you, is a "pure" shapeshifter (or other)?
Chernaudi

Post by Chernaudi »

ringswraith wrote:Well, you have to define something first. What, to you, is a "pure" shapeshifter (or other)?
I thought that shapeshifters were distinct from werewolves?

And by "pure" shapeshifter, I mean Jacob.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

Yes, the shifters are not werewolves.

So, if I understand you correctly, you're saying that a "pure" shifter is one like Jacob, or Quil, who has inherited the wolf gene from both sides of their parentage?

If that's the case, any children of Jacob and Renesmee's are noy going to be pure shifters, seeing as only Jacob can pass on the gene. I do not think the gene would be bred "out" unless one of their kids actually does not get the gene in the first place.
Chernaudi

Post by Chernaudi »

But can vampirism be bred out-Renesmee is half vampire, remember. And if shapeshifter and vampire traits can be bred out at least to the point where neither is dominant, how many generations could that take?

Example-Renesmee and Jacob have a daughter that's equal parts human, vampire, and shapeshifter, and she mates with a human, and it continues until the vampire and shapeshifter traits are at least non-dominant. How many generations could that take until the shapeshifter and vampire isn't dominant or virtually non-exhistant.

ringswraith

Post by ringswraith »

That would be difficult to answer.

For one thing, we don't know exactly how the shifter gene or the vampire gene work.

Considering the process of transformation into a vampire, I think the vampire "gene" isn't so much something that's inherited, but something that infects, as a virus. The "gene" could be a result of the viral "reprogramming." Now, since apparently female half-vampire/half-human hybrids are without venom, Renesmee has no real way to begin a transformation on someone, and it's possible that her own vampire "gene" would not transmit to her offspring because they are, in essence, inert.

As for Jacob's shifter gene, my theory is that it is a gene that is always dominant, but does not always express itself. Since there are members of the Pack who could conceivably have inherited the gene from only one side of the family, it stands to reason that you can become a shifter so long as you have the gene (and are male- I believe I've gone into how Leah became the anomaly, but that's another discussion). So that gene will always be present in their offspring, but their offspring may not actually become shifters (such as Billy Black, who sort of "missed" his calling).
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

The gene for the shapeshifters is triggered by the presence of an enemy or danger. We don't know if there are other enemies that trigger the gene, but it is mentioned repeatedly that the larger coven forced the pack to expand it's numbers. Apparently you can only shift if your gene is triggered as an adolescent or young adult, which makes sense. The gene would have to be dominant due to the presence of Sam who is only 1/2 Quiluette.

Due to the fact that Nessie is human and vampire, I would posture that their offspring would be super strong shape shifters who would all shift due to their proximity to vampires, perhaps even as young children. So Jacob's line would be full of super puppies.
iemand
Settled in Forks

Post by iemand »

another question, Carlisle said that shapeshifters have 24 chromosomal pairs. do they only have the extra pair when they are actually phasing or even when they never have. In other words, does Billy Black have 23 or 24 pairs? I suppose it's 23 because otherwise the Quilites would have been found out as soon as one got to a hospital for anything that requires bloodwork...

And if that is so then any offspring from Jacob/Renesmee would be just as plausible as for a hybrid and a normal human, right?
My guess is that the child at birth exhibits all the traits of a 1/4 vampire (whatever those may be). The effect of the werewolf gene could go in all directions (being nullified, super wolf, etc.).