General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Re: The Science of Twilight

Post by Openhome »

Both are very good questions, and we had a lengthy discussion of this very topic on page 26 to about page 32 of this thread. Go see if your question is answered there. If it wasn't, come back and re-ask it. We always love discussing these types of things. :D
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Someone please tell me what you think the answers to the following questions are. :D

1) If a vampire is injured in a fight with another vampire, how does the injured vampire heal?
2) If a vampire is dismembered by another vampire or by a werewolf...a missing limb or body part...how does he/she heal?
3) If a vampire's head is severed from his/her body, then torn to pieces and burned, what happens if all the pieces are not found and one or more doesn't get burned?
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Thinking about a fight scene, are we? :D

Hmm.

1. This is how I handled it in my fic: they heal, like humans would, but at a faster pace (not necessarily shapeshifter speed). If an adequate supply of blood is near, then the healing process speeds up immensely. Otherwise, being deprived of blood would actually slow this down.

2. Knowing what we do of the Quileute legend of the Cold Ones, dismembered limbs/parts can find each other and reattach. This would eventually result in the reformation of the vampire. If say some vamp's arm got torn off during a fight, I imagine he'd simply need to grab it, position the severed pieces just so and they'd come together.

3. On a tangent, I'm having some difficulty coming up with a scenario where that would be the end result. I don't think it's like a starfish where, so long as you have certain components in the piece, it can regrow the rest of its body. I'd think a vamp's foot that was left unburned wouldn't grow the rest of the vampire back- it'll probably remain as a foot, forever (with no life to it)
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

That is what I have always assumed and written as well. Doesn't the foot think remind you of scary campfire stories? :lol:
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

^^^Openhome and Rings~~THANKS a million! I was thinking along the same lines, just needed someone to reaffirm my thinking!
As for the fight scene...hmmm...Maybe! :lol:
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

This is a question about hybrids. I read on the Twilight Saga Wiki article about hybrids that they need to breathe to function. I know that it's largely because of the blood in their systems. But is the need to breath driven by survial, or is for them to function normally, just like having the blood in them in the first place-it says that they don't die if they bleed out, but they need blood in their system to function normally-I mean, after all, hybrids are immortal compared to normal humans(live forever as long as another vampire, shapeshifter/werewolf or another hybrid doesn't kill them).

So let's say someone trys to suffocate Renesmee and she stops breathing-will she die or go into some kind of suspended animation until she starts to breathe on her own again, and is her need for air similar to that of a human, or is Nessie more tolerlant of CO and similar things?
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

I know this isn't really science but I could find an other place to ask this....

for the dutch girl, what are they teaching in a Trig lesson...????
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

marielle wrote:I know this isn't really science but I could find an other place to ask this....

for the dutch girl, what are they teaching in a Trig lesson...????
Trigonometry is one of the higher classes of math that is taught in the United States. It is often, but not always taught before pre-Calculus.
Openhome

Post by Openhome »

Chernaudi wrote:This is a question about hybrids. I read on the Twilight Saga Wiki article about hybrids that they need to breathe to function. I know that it's largely because of the blood in their systems. But is the need to breath driven by survial, or is for them to function normally, just like having the blood in them in the first place-it says that they don't die if they bleed out, but they need blood in their system to function normally-I mean, after all, hybrids are immortal compared to normal humans(live forever as long as another vampire, shapeshifter/werewolf or another hybrid doesn't kill them).

So let's say someone trys to suffocate Renesmee and she stops breathing-will she die or go into some kind of suspended animation until she starts to breathe on her own again, and is her need for air similar to that of a human, or is Nessie more tolerlant of CO and similar things?
OK, this is just my opinion based on the few hints we get here from the Lex. I went to the Wiki article, and it seems that they took their stuff from here. I hope others come on to speculate about this question because it's really a good one.
First off, while the hybrids are immortal, it indicates that they are not as indestructible as vampires and must have the same things to survive as humans. Since they have blood and a heart and living tissue rather than crystal it would lead me to believe that, yes, hybrids MUST have air. How long they can go without air is an unknown factor, but I would assume that since they have those systems that they need them to function properly. Could a hybrid live if they were bled out, for a while, but it would seem that even they could be given a mortal wound from which they cannot heal. Obviously, it happened several times in the past with the wolves.
So my best guess is that Nessie could go a very long time without air, but eventually her organs and tissue would be too deprived and would die off.
I would love to hear other's thoughts on this.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I've been wondering this for a while, but do any of you think there could be some scientific explanation of why a veggie vamp's eyes are gold, opposed to red? I've always wondered why human's blood was different from animal blood to a vampire in that respect.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com