General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Emmettroselover
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Love Triangle-Bella, Edward, Jacob

Post by Emmettroselover »

Chernaudi wrote:I believe that it's sexism why the women get so much grief, while the guys are seen as being hot no matter what. But as a guy, that's my opinion.
I agree with you. There are a lot of double standards both ways including that there are certain things women let men have a pass on while if a female does it, they are outraged. The fandom likes the female cast, but are in love with the men way more for the most part. You are always willing to let things go for the ones you love and more critical of others lol. I can admit that I do it too. We all do and have our bias, but it is certainly apparent in the fandom.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

Emmettroselover wrote:There were actually tons of people who tried out, including Kellan's ex Annalynne McCord.
I'm kinda glad that Annalynne didn't get the role of Rosalie. Imagine how awkward that would be if she had gotten the part and then broke up with Kellan.
Emmettroselover wrote:If they would have just given her a wig from the beginning it would not have been an issue, but people would still hate on Nikki.

I think that may have been best, you know, the wig. *face palm* I can get over Nikki's skin color being off, but it's the hair that annoys me the most about her being Rosalie. I think Nikki is absolutely beautiful, I just think she looks better brunette. Meh.

I'm hoping they've kept the wig they used from EC because it looked better then the NM wig, and loads better then Nikki's dyed hair from TW. I always imagined Rosalie's hair looking like Hannah Montana's from like season 1/2 of the show.

To get slightly back on topic, I don't buy the triangle they tried to play out on screen because the vibe I got between KS and TL was that of siblings, but with RP and KS I got the vibe that they were a couple. I do have some issues with KS playing Bella, but I do think her chemistry is more believable as a couple with Rob than it is with Taylor.
Emmettroselover

I agree about the triangle. Taylor and Kristen act like brother and sister. He is like a little brother to a lot of the cast and it definitely shows in the chemistry. Taylor's acting skills are a bit one dimensional as well so it is hard to see anything but Taylor at times and the scenes with him and Kristen just looked like they were siblings, not like he wanted to be her lover.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Nikki's wig was really bad in NM. It had to have been, because even I noticed it was a wig, and usually I don't notice those things at all!

Yes, as much as I'd love it to be otherwise, as he seems like a lovely guy, I really don't think Taylor's going to be a great actor. Rob's showing great promise, though.
Emmettroselover

The Eclipse wig for Rosalie was the best, but I didnt think the New Moon one was as horrible as Jasper's. His made me cringe. Taylor seems like an amazing guy, but yes as an actor his skills seem to stay in a very limited range. Rob in Water for Elephants was amazing to me. I can't wait to see him in Bel Ami and Cosmopolis. I love that he chooses films that he feels like have deep meaning to him even if they arent going to be blockbusters or gimmicky films. I really respect that about him because a lot of actors can't say they do the same.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

The thing is though, I think Taylor's may have one of the easier times dropping his tie to Twilight compared to Rob and Kristen based on the movies he has lined up to do or release and depending on how the media runs with his character imprinting on a baby. I haven't read many articles or IMDb posts about people complaining about his performance in the Twilight movies or any of his upcoming movies like I have when I've gone and visited the boards for Rob's movies.

Although, I'm looking at the IMDb page for TL's new movie and a number of posts hate that he's been cast as the lead. Meh.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I wasn't intending to see Bel Ami, as I'm not fond of movies about people sleeping around, etc, but his character looks so different in that, and provides him with so different a range of emotions to play, I'm curious to see it to see how well he pulls it off. It certainly looks promising in the trailer.

With Taylor, I'll think he'll have a great future in action-type roles, and there's nothing wrong with that. He's great with the physical things, and it's not that he can't act, I just don't think he has much of a range. Rob has come in for more criticism, I think, because Edward was this brooding character, so people poke at that, and he has the largest fanbase of the three (although Taylor's isn't small, either!), and therefore attracts the most attention and criticism.
Emmettroselover

IMDb is such an annoying site to me because of the comment boards, but I digress. It is no secret that out of the three, even though all have big fanbases, Rob's is the biggest. I think Taylor could have a nice career in action films, but that has yet to be seen. He needs to start building up his resume and the box office numbers for Abduction will definitely say a lot about how he is received. The problem he could encounter is that he is going from a female fanbase who loves him shirtless to wanting to be an action star which is more of a male fanbase. That does not always translate. Even if Twilighters go see Abduction for Taylor, will he be able to keep the tweens and teen fans as he gets older or will he need to appeal to the male audience more? Probably the latter and a lot of men are not the biggest Taylor Lautner fans.

Rob's route is very different. His target audience will still be women because he enjoys doing romantic dramas and dramas in general. Water for Elephants did extremely well for being a romantic drama since only a handful do amazing and can compete against blockbusters. Titanic was a phenomenon of its own so that one is different, but the fact that WFE made such a profit says quite a bit and the acting in the film was great. It was beautifully done as well. Rob and Kristen have both tried to make films in between filming the saga because they are trying to break out of the Twilight bubble. Taylor has taken a different approach. He is riding out the wave and only has one film that stars him coming out during the saga.....Valentine's Day was not a good example for any of the actors in that movie.....so only time will tell if it pays off. It is hard for any actor to break out of that bubble and that is why it is usually discussed if Rob and Taylor will be more like Luke Skywalker or Hans Solo, will they be able to play such loved characters and branch out like Harrison Ford or will they fall short? So far, Rob's fanbase has shown that they will follow him to other films and the WFE premieres proved that.

I want every actor in the cast to do well in whatever they decide to do. They all deserve happiness and success, but how they measure that is up to them. I really am pulling for Taylor because it is not easy to be an action star. I know Kellan wants to be one as well. It will be so interesting to see how they all do ten years later lol.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

If Taylor does well in Abduction, and I hope he does, I think it will go a long way to providing an action career for him. I think there's every chance the movie will do well, as, sure, the girls will go and see it, but they'll bring their boyfriends, telling them, "You'll like this, there's action in it!". So Taylor might well get a guy following through this introduction. Even if they're young guys, then they can grow into their twenties, thirties, etc, following Taylor's career in these kinds of movies. Maybe he'll follow where Matt Damon has led, although I think Matt's got more acting chops. Hopefully, Taylor will prove me wrong on that.

It would be good for him if he could do that, and I'd be happy to see it. I quite like those kinds of movies, and it's easier to for me to get those kinds out on DVD, as we usually watch our DVDs at our in-laws' place, so we have to get something that has a broad appeal. Unfortunately, the films Rob are in usually don't make the cut! (although I'm hopeful I can slip WFE in there; we all enjoy period dramas! I don't think I've got a chance with Bel Ami, because of the subject matter), but an action film along the line of The Bourne Identity would definitely be on the list, and I think Abduction will, too.
Emmettroselover

Each actor has a test with a project and if it does well people are more open to the idea than if it fails. I feel like his test is Abduction. Matt Damon is Matt Damon. His acting chops can open any door for him. Taylor is so far from that in so many aspects that I think he should aim a bit lower with his goals for the near future. I actually love action movies, what I don't love are redundant action films and when I saw the trailer I immediately thought this is Bourne Identity in high school plain and simple. Maybe it will surprise people though. I do think that men are a bit trickier than HW thinks sometimes. Big explosions and pretty girls do not cut it anymore. There needs to be more to movies and if they become redundant, it shows in the box office numbers. All the superhero films that have come out have caused a real interesting summer for some of those movies.

I really hope he can show that he is not just cute little Taylor Lautner. It is hard for guys in his age group to really be taken seriously when they have not done serious roles. People mostly know him from Twilight and before that I can only really think of Sharkboy and Lavagirl. That is hard to grown on, but I think with his star power right now, if he makes the right decisions and tries to veer away from the shirtless media attention, he has a real shot. The hot abs comments are nice, but it is hard to take someone seriously when that is mainly what they are known for. Let's be honest. Taylor Lautner is not know for being an amazing actor. He is known for being the shirtless guy from Twilight to most non-Twilight fans. If he can break away from that and be seen as a serious actor who wants to do action films as he gets older, then I think he will be great. Every generation needs an action star.