General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
HopelessRomantic
Settled in Forks

Re: Made fun of for liking Twilight?

Post by HopelessRomantic »

mlola619 wrote: Sure, i know a couple people here and there who like the books too- much they're so obsessed with Edward that they have no interest in any other aspects of the story...which is...annoying considering Edward isn't the only character haha. Don't get me wrong, i ADORE Edward- but there's more to the story you know?
I completely agree, and I think this image that people have created for the main public plays a definite part in where the source of ridicule and teasing comes from.

Luckily for me pretty much my whole family loves twilight, my mom, closest sister, a good friend of ours, and I have been to every midnight releasing of the movies- both in theater and in the store, we make shirts, we absorbed the books (and continue to re-absorb every once in a while- when timing in life permits), we have the board games (my younger siblings absolutely love it even though they've never read the books, and we've actually made a family activity out of watching the first movie and then playing the board game), and we tend to remember details fairly well- not because we are character obsessed, but because it is just sooo good. On the other hands, I'm not sure exactly where all my friends stand on the subject, but they all know I'm definitely "my own individual" already :lol: , and the only time it really comes up are the times when I am with the friends who love it as well- I actually have a really good guy friend who is quite into it and I highly enjoy being able to get into conversations that are more in depth and we can disect the finer points of the story line.
Though this all sound fine and dandy, I am not unfamiliar with that look that says, "Umm... and you're how old??" or the, "Woowww..you're kinda retarded..." haha At times like this I really wish that I could adequately explain what Twilight really and truly is..just make them understand what they really are missing, but getting a word in edgewise at that point isn't the easiest thing anyone has ever persued to do in their life; Bummer.. :? :D :D
~Mirrors are sensitive windows; they allow you to see into the depths of your own soul.~

Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

I belong to the generation of fans that got into Twilight because of the movies, so I'm forever gratefull that they were made or else I would have never discovered it :D . But I have to agree that the resulting public opinion of the series prevents me from expressing my love for it. I like the series for the amazing characters and deep emotions and not because "the actors are hot" (though I can't deny that they are ;) ). I only started loving the cast after I saw various interviews and other projects with them and saw them as really nice people who cared about the characters they played. That is what makes them great for me. But I don't think people get that when I tell them.

I live in Holland and I feel like the fandom is not as big over here. It is mainly considered the next teen/Disney hype. This makes it very difficult for an incredibly shy student in her twenties, who wants to be taken seriously, to confess to being a Twihard. I only know about one of my friends who has read the books and seen the movies, but she isn't as addicted as me and doesn't like to talk about it. My closest friend has seen NM, but didn't like it that much so she doesn't get it.

My parents and sister actually make fun of me the most, since I can't hide my obsession from them. I constantly get the "Are you reading that again?" and "When are you finally done?" My mom comes up to me sometimes and starts to ask me very seriously and cautiously whether I shouldn't stop reading them. She makes it sound like she thinks I need rehab, which makes me really angry.

But even with all this, I will never stop loving the series! The books are very personal to me and they help me get through some very difficult times in my life by providing a very nice escape. ;)
FF profile: Suzqnv5689
Uushia
Settled in Forks

Post by Uushia »

I fell in love with Twilight right before the move was announced and the hype set in. I love vampires. Period.And I thought it was really clever twist. But the quiet was quickly disrupted and associated with 13 year old screaming girls. So, being called a tween and a less sophisticated because I enjoyed the books was my crime to many for a long while. However, unlike many on my vampire lover sites I defend the books with just as much intelligence and avoid fan trolling. Many in the communities respect me for that. I've turned a "Vampires don't sparkle" comment on it's head and somehow ended up discussing theology and mythos. In my opinion, anything is possible in the vampire world because all are unreal and rediculous because every vampire story/ movie can be ripped to shreds once you find the holes. I defend Edward just as much as Dracula because they're both fiction and equally not probable.

I have a good friend who will not read the series, and will occasionally try to crack the Twilight science, but often ends in a discussions of how he thinks they sparkle or whatnot. We like plotting out ways vampires are possible in any form and solving authors inconsistancies. The only irritating critic I have is one who actually enjoyed the books but will now attack it now only because it's mainstream, with a dash of mid-twenties peer pressure.

One liners that are no longer an arguement:
Vampires don't sparkle
Real vampires are undead
Sparkles aren't scary
Dracula was the first vampire and therefore the only real kind of vampire

All of these are false and I can go on forever about it if you let me. So I'll just stop myself here.
::bites tongue::
Team Aro ---Team Volturi
HopelessRomantic
Settled in Forks

Post by HopelessRomantic »

Uushia,I completely understand your post, and it actually makes me really happy. I have loved Vampires for as long as I can remember, and I also got into the Twilight Saga before it became the image of squealing, Edward/Jacob obsessed girls. I know that everyone on this site is a huge fan of Twilight, but it's nice to know that there are other people who appreciate all vampires, sparkle or no :) :)
~Mirrors are sensitive windows; they allow you to see into the depths of your own soul.~

Uushia
Settled in Forks

Post by Uushia »

What I find crazy is people taking timeout of their time for an anti anything. Seems a waste of time. I don't like some things but I don't troll around against it for kicks. I read somewhere an attack list about Twi-hards attacking those that do not like the series. I've met NO One who bragged about beating up someone who didnt like the series. So it makes you wonder how much it's true. Some claims are jaw dropping. Also I never see Twi-hards hating on the vamps w/o sparkle. IDK maybe I'm blind or too far out of high school.

Anyhoo yay vampires! I fell in love with the concept in middle school maybe, when it was still dark, creepy, and uncool to do so. Maybe that's why most of the banter rolls off of me. I've always felt mosters had their own stories and all weren't bad. Sympathy for the devil maybe? I've always wondered more about the bad guys more than heros because they're sexier, smarter, and more complicated. Sort of how the psyche cannot believe itself to be evil. SO yeah always crazy but :D fun.
Team Aro ---Team Volturi
forevered
Settled in Forks

Post by forevered »

Maybe your friend is in denial :lol:
Have you tried the Twilight Vampire Diet? http://www.twilightvampirediet.com
AleaHale
Settled in Forks

Post by AleaHale »

Some of my family already think I am weird, but guess what? I dragged my mother and both grandmothers with me.

The people who make fun of people about this sort of thing are still in the past. People have been like this for years when Dracula by Bram Stoker became a classic, like people couldn't help but swoon over the uniqueness of the classic and the dark romance of it. This is the same, but its more amplified since this is new and its fit for everyone and more modern.

Also, the choice in actors doesn't really help, people think that all of us like twilight just because of the Actors in the movies. When in fact I believe anyone (except for the younger crowd) read the books and liked something about the books and got hooked. I actually came upon Twilight in Barnes and Noble while I was trying to find a new book to read and I got hooked from the very beginning.

So basically the people who make fun of others for liking something should either lay off or join the crowd. 8-)
mary
Buying a Better Raincoat
Location: hanging out w/ Bella, Rennesme, and the other Cullens

Post by mary »

I am still a huge fan of Twilight...like still obsessed w/ it, just not as much as I used to be. Me and my best friend still talk about it a lot. And, I even got my bf into watching the movies with me (only because he likes the werewolves, of course :roll: lol). It just seems like it's all died down around me, tho. Like, I don't hear as many people talking about it as they used to. Which I guess that was to be expected, but no anymore, I don't know who's a fan, and who's a hater, when before it was very obvious. I still wear my shirts around and stuff, and my friend still buys me Twilight stuff, and I'm super excited and can't wait til Eclipse is out on dvd, and BD is out in theaters. I absolutely cannot wait, but I just wished that I could still tell who's a fan and who's a hater.

"Look after my heart, I've left it with you."
mary
Buying a Better Raincoat
Location: hanging out w/ Bella, Rennesme, and the other Cullens

Post by mary »

AleaHale wrote:Also, the choice in actors doesn't really help, people think that all of us like twilight just because of the Actors in the movies. When in fact I believe anyone (except for the younger crowd) read the books and liked something about the books and got hooked. I actually came upon Twilight in Barnes and Noble while I was trying to find a new book to read and I got hooked from the very beginning.

So basically the people who make fun of others for liking something should either lay off or join the crowd. 8-)
Oh, and btw, I totally agree. Personally, the reason I do like the movies so much is because of the books. The movies are extremely cheesy, but the actor's are good, it's just they way the lines are and stuff. But the books are where it's all lol :mrgreen:

"Look after my heart, I've left it with you."
mandyhope22
Settled in Forks

Post by mandyhope22 »

Hey! I posted this on my Newborn in Seattle thread but no one responded. Maybe I'll have better luck here...

So, I've found myself going into Twilight withdrawal. Not something that can be easily solved by reading the series again. I know Eclipse is almost out on DVD and the guide is coming out in the Spring and I've loosely been following all the Breaking Dawn movie talk but I'm not appeased. I've read The Host (not Twilight related but a good read). I've read the second book in JR Ward's fallen angel series. I'm ready for some new Twilight stories. I check on SM's website, hoping there will be a new book release but I know it's not going to happen anytime soon. I just feel like stomping off and pouting in the corner. It feels weird to miss fictional characters. Is anyone else having trouble with this? Have you found any interesting reads to keep your mind occupied? Do I need to find a therapist?...because sometimes it just seems wrong to be so hung up on this. mandyhope22
Settled in Forks