Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Made fun of for liking Twilight?

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

Jazz Girl wrote:

TTF~ That's the literal truth. Most of the people who put down or object to the books havent actually read them, or if they have, they haven't read them completely, just skimmed. I have no idea how it is someone feels justified in not only forming an opinion about something, but then spouting that opinion as an argument to preclude the experiences of others when they don't have all the information. Those are what I call idiots.
I totally agree with you there, if they took the time to read they would know
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
Edwards Wheels
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Edwards Wheels »

I took the mickey out of my Mum when she read the Harry Potter series ( they were up to Goblet of fire then), it was only a laugh and not in any way nasty, just me thinking I was being funny. But that series got her back into reading and low and behold a few months later she gave me stick when I started reading them too, which I totally desrved.
I think unless you've found something that you're entirely engrossed in yourself, you tend to take the mickey, mostly our of not understanding. Once you do find that something that seems to take up your time, you want to research you want to read, see as much as you can, you can understand.

Did any of that make any sense at all??? :? :lol:
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Chernaudi~ I have not read Speak, but I have seen the film. It was very hard, as a rape survivor, to watch. But, I think the way that they handled it was bloody brilliant. I really would like to read the book, but I tend to actually have a hard time processing those scenes, dealing with them, when I read them vs see them in a film. When you read any scene, it's your imagination that puts a visual to it. As you can imagine, my psyche has no trouble putting visuals to a scene like that and that can make it to real to deal with effectively.

I think, as far as The Saga, there are actually people who oppose its presence in schools and libraries because they have read it and disagree with its presentation of certain issues, such as Bella's choice of death over life (as they see it, I don't agree, but that's a topic for another post). I mean, it's a debate that goes on on these threads. I don't see her choice as death because I don't see her as dead when she's a vampire. But some disagree and they feel as though the heroine of the books choosing to die for love is a bad message to send to children. But, again, I think this is where we have to do 2 things; 1) We need to give adolescents a little more credit than we typically do for being able to process the message behind the literal events, and 2) We have to remember that this is a fantasy novel and many of the elements that some disapprove of are related to that fantasy.

Mel~ I agree, somewhat. But, I think there's a difference out of a little good natured ribbing and actual insult. Clearly, you and your mum were just joking back and forth. There was no malice intended. That's just kind of fun. But, it's when people really want to hurt... that makes me angry.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Edwards Wheels

Post by Edwards Wheels »

Caryn, i think you and i have so much in common it's uncanny. I've had some proper ribbing about twilight such as the high school musical with fangs remark but nothing nasty.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Post by bored by the sea »

Jazz Girl wrote:
bored by the sea wrote: i mean how promiscuous can you get when your vampire boyfriend halts even any full on snogging?!?!:lol:

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! This might be my new favorite quote. Best comeback line I could ever use against those jackarses. :lol:
:lol: thanks caryn, let it be said though im never this quick witted in an actual verbal fight, i always think of awesome things to say way after the event :lol: then i'm like why didn't i think of that then?!

dude i kind of get the whole censorship thing in general just NOT with the saga! i was having a conversation about this with my best twi bud (having been on here and read Caryns post) and i had totally forgotten about this but anyone who is around my age i.e. in their twenties, do you remember when Judy Blooms Forever came out?!! :lol: i mean that was considered down right scandolous but we still got it out of our school library :lol: at the end of the day you can't shiel children from everything, i mean thats part of gowing up and jeez i kind of think you can see worse on t.v. than in the contents of the Twilight saga books!
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**
BellaEdward4ever
Wandering Through Town

Post by BellaEdward4ever »

yess all the time and by relatives lol how sad is that,my cousin is huge into vampires so he hates the fact that edward glitters and the whole twilight thing so yeah i get teased alot lol but nothing nasty yet
Imagecredit fanpop
Edwards Wheels

Post by Edwards Wheels »

bored by the sea wrote: dude i kind of get the whole censorship thing in general just NOT with the saga! i was having a conversation about this with my best twi bud (having been on here and read Caryns post) and i had totally forgotten about this but anyone who is around my age i.e. in their twenties, do you remember when Judy Blooms Forever came out?!! :lol: i mean that was considered down right scandolous but we still got it out of our school library :lol: at the end of the day you can't shiel children from everything, i mean thats part of gowing up and jeez i kind of think you can see worse on t.v. than in the contents of the Twilight saga books!

I don't know if it's cos I left school so long ago (over 16 years ago) or because I was a rebel, but I honestly don't remember ever even going to our school library, so we may've had risque books or violent books I really don't know :lol:
I do remember that in my Primary school ( so it can't be the memory thing then as I can remember this) we had myths and legends books which were filled with gory deaths and fights, and that was for 5, 6, 7 year olds :shock:
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

JazzGirl-First off, I'm sorry about what you had to go through, and that's a troubling subject for me, to say the least.

But as to your discussion of why the novels are challenged, I never read any complaints about Bella and her percived choice of death over life. Not to say that it may've been mentioned, but the biggest complaints are sexuality and advocating a religious/right wing POV, neither I agree with being as big a problem today as some make it out to be. A guy and girl get married, so sexuality/sensuality will be involved, and often times an author's POV on certian topics will come though. Both are to be expected, so with Bella and Edward being married and romantially involved, and with Stephenie making no bones about her religious upbringing, what's with the surprise(by the way, Stephenie doesn't strike me as an overly-fundimentalist right wing religious person, just to clarify that).

Adolesecents and teens now are a lot smarter than what adults give them credit for. How many times have teenagers and even pre-teens handled dangerous or frightening situlations? And we also gotta remember, going back to Speak, and even Panic Room that Kristen Stewart was 13 and 11 respectivly when she filmed those movies, and everyone who's met her as a teen or adult say that she's way more mature than her age indicates. So give kids and teens some credit, and how would you rather them find out about concepts such as love and such-in a tasteful manner, like in the Twilight novels and films, or from smut and sources that are far more questionable for novels written for a target audience who's within a year or two of being teenagers?
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

izzysmum wrote:I took the mickey out of my Mum when she read the Harry Potter series ( they were up to Goblet of fire then), it was only a laugh and not in any way nasty, just me thinking I was being funny. But that series got her back into reading and low and behold a few months later she gave me stick when I started reading them too, which I totally desrved.
I think unless you've found something that you're entirely engrossed in yourself, you tend to take the mickey, mostly our of not understanding. Once you do find that something that seems to take up your time, you want to research you want to read, see as much as you can, you can understand.

Did any of that make any sense at all??? :? :lol:
That made alot of sense to me, I made fun of my friend for reading Night World, turns out that I love them!
Youve got to read to truly understand.
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
stephspet13
Settled in Forks

Post by stephspet13 »

I am somethings the pinacle of everyones joke. People stare at me and think i'm a bit of a freak (well, i say a bit...) . My school bag says 'OCD: Obsessive Cullen Disorder' and i was once going up the stairs back to registration and this girl behind me goes 'obsessive cullen...disorder? What is that?
'Its films and books about vampires and dogs'
'Thats really sad'.
I felt really sorry for the girl because she has no idea what Twilight is.
I wear my Team Edward jumper to school too so people think i'm totally sad. Some of my friends love twilight as well but not really as much as me. This is the only place where you can share your interest with people.

If anyone gives you any slack just say
'Hey, i run with vampires'.
Or just feel really sad for them because they are missing out on so much.

Be proud to be a part of something so amazing!

TWILIGHTERS AND PROUD!!! xx :D ;) :) :idea: