Made fun of for liking Twilight?

General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Do People think you are crazy when you talk about Twilight?

Post by funkidiva »

Its the rolling of the eyes my boyfriend and my sister's boyfriend do in unison when we talk about Twilight haha
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Made fun of for liking Twilight?

Post by December »

Do people you know give you a hard time about being a Twilight fan? Is your love for the series misunderstood by friends, family, co-workers, schoolmates? Has the popularity of the Twilight films made it easier or harder for you to be a fan? Share your experiences -- and find support -- here.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
JillOBean
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Made fun of for liking Twilight?

Post by JillOBean »

I knew my obsession was bad when my 16 year old sister, who's also a fan, mocked me. :oops:

I do try to "hide" it because of the mocking... its unfortunate. I have no IRL friends who are super big Twilight fans and its a shame... maybe we need a New Orleans area support group or something.

alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

I dunno... I'd rather be made fun of for liking Twilight than be made fun of for being addicted to "Direct-to-video" sy-fy movies.
In reality, people's opinions of my taste in books and movies have never mattered to me, as it is what I like. I hate football, and I think the way sports jocks act like it is the holy grail is incredibably ignorant, so why should I expect them to like what I like?

In truth, there are no Twilight martyrs. So what if people make fun... I've done my fare share of dissing Star Wars fanatics, as they knew hardly anything about this world, but beware if I can't tell one alien from another in the Star Wars universe. Fans are fans. In short, we all have our likes and dislikes. We all have moments where we can't understand why somebody likes certain things. We're all guilty of jibbing (even nicely) those for their obsessions, so why should we Twilighters expect something different?

I'm a guy... and I liked Twilight? Where do you think my Masculinity Score stands with my guys my age? :D

Do I think we need support groups? Heavens no... Twilight is fiction. It ain't a religion. If somebody makes fun of me, so what... I'm sure I can find a billion reasons to laugh at them back. :D

marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

alphanubilus wrote:I'm a guy... and I liked Twilight? Where do you think my Masculinity Score stands with my guys my age?

Do I think we need support groups? Heavens no... Twilight is fiction. It ain't a religion. If somebody makes fun of me, so what... I'm sure I can find a billion reasons to laugh at them back.
hihi....
to your first question....Masculinity score or not, at least you have learned two great ways in how to handle the ladies!! ;)
your second question..... Lex is my support group.. it's feeding the addiction rather then curing it...but it is keeping the winter depression nicely at bay....

I have been made fun of my book addictions ever since I got addicted to Harry Potter...
My BF hates fantasy so he doesn't understand, and my co-workers by now know I'm crazy...

I don't let it get to me, I'm happy in my little happyplace
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
alphanubilus
Learning to Love Green

Post by alphanubilus »

Also to add a bit more clarity to my statements, more often than not, when I see people making fun of various fans, it isn't as much the material they are making fun of, as it is their fandom's, actions concerning the material. Let's face it, there are people who are so obsessed with a fictional world, that they try in merge reality and that world to create a happy world of their own. I good example is those wonderful Star Wars fans (you know the 35-year-old parent's celler dwellers) who forced the UK to pass a law that gave Jedi legitiment religious status. Talk about crazy, but then again, the USA did give Scientology religious status, and both are solely based upon Science Fiction writings... oh well...

In short, when you see fans take things that far, I can cetainly see why many folks have a lizard-brain reaction to them. Their behavior is simply beyond belief.

While I, without shame, regard myself as a Twilight fan, I can still debate the good points and the bad points of the series, and totally respect the criticism the series recieves from other well known writers, such as Stephen King. While I may disagree they at least read the books and are entitled to their opinions of them. However, I've seen fans, get murderously angry, when somebody questioned the integrety of Steph's writing capabilities. Too me that is going a bit too far.

I remember relating my dislike of the original Twilight score (not the various artist soundtrack), as it was relatively awful in comparisons to other scores of the same genre. As a huge movie score fan, I have literally hundreds of them. I was greatly disappointed in it, and a Twi-hard viciously lashed out at me, and stated that I had no real appreciation for fine music as it was the greatest score ever concieved.

This is where I think some fans take things too far. Obsession, no matter the material, is really going off the deep end. When Twilight stops being fun, then it stops being Twilight. Same as Star Wars, Star Trek, and so on and so forth.

Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I have never been made fun of but if I did I wouldn't care! I think some of the trolls and haters out there are lil kids who are grounded and stuck in their room and that is the only place they can lash out. When I don't like something the last thing I do is waste my time hanging out on the board.
Banner by TammyAZ
Anarane
Wandering Through Town
Location: In Greece, longing for the true winter temperatures....

Post by Anarane »

I've very often been fun of, but I don't care. The way I see it, too bad for them, when people don't understand -nor try to- something so great such as this love story. I have some friends who are huge fans too and I can very well speak with them about twilight, thank you very much!

I can't deny though I laughed really hard when my husband came one day, looked at me and said: "Vicky, I'm worried about you. Are you ok?" LOL my poor husband must have thought that I was ready to join a cult or something like that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grab your tissues.... http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5004980/1/The_EndEdward

Chapter 3 of nm from Edward's pov...
Anto21
Wandering Through Town

Post by Anto21 »

This is a very interesting subject and I agree with many of your comments. I would like to know better english to express my opinion about it, but I'll try....

Well I've not really been made fun because of my passion for the Twilight saga, but sometimes I see a smile on the lips of some friends when I talk about it. The most of them believe that Meyer's book are written for young people and considering that I'm an adult woman and not a teeneger they wonder why I like them so much. I tried to explain it but in the end I decided that it wasn't so important, I don't feel shame because I love some kind of films or books or music...not because I'm an arrogant..I listen to other people's opinions but I have my taste...everybody has his/her own tasted and this is part of a personality.
However to love or to have passion for something it doesen't mean that I can't criticize it or see the faults, or the passion would become an obsession... ;)
look after my heart, I've left it with you
pinkmoon
Settled in Forks

Post by pinkmoon »

My one friend made fun of me....I just lent her my copy of Twilight. :lol: We'll see what she has to say once she gets into it.