General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Knives
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Made fun of for liking Twilight?

Post by Knives »

I've given similar criticism, actually, but mostly I've backed it up with an actual academic review of the book. Bella, Edward, the rest of the Cullen family; in fact, most of the characters in the series are pretty one-dimensional. Ms. Meyer does not excell as a writer; what she excells at is storytelling. She's much like George Lucas in that regard, in that the reader/viewer often doesn't care that the story is full of plot holes, one-dimensional characters, and enough fridge logic to hide forty or fifty dead bodies because the reader/viewer is so into it. Unfortunately, many people don't make the distinction - or aren't aware of the distinction - between writing and storytelling, leading to flame wars, arguments, et cetera et cetera.
Openhome wrote:Knives, I believe that..
wait for it...
you are right.
Phena
Settled in Forks

Post by Phena »

"Well I've not really been made fun because of my passion for the Twilight saga, but sometimes I see a smile on the lips of some friends when I talk about it. The most of them believe that Meyer's book are written for young people and considering that I'm an adult woman and not a teeneger they wonder why I like them so much. I tried to explain it but in the end I decided that it wasn't so important, I don't feel shame because I love some kind of films or books or music...not because I'm an arrogant..I listen to other people's opinions but I have my taste...everybody has his/her own tasted and this is part of a personality.
However to love or to have passion for something it doesen't mean that I can't criticize it or see the faults, or the passion would become an obsession... ;)" Anto 21

I think you are right Anot 21, no one makes fun of me, I have a right to what I like and they understand that, they sometimes don't realize why I love the books but I think that everyone has there own opinions and if they look at me funny for reading them I don't talk with them about the books. I have read a lot of books and realized everyone has there own opinion and I'm just glad that there are people like you guys I can talk with and ask questions to and tell my thoughts and opinions to.
Seni
Settled in Forks

Post by Seni »

Yeah, been there, had that... Wasn't fun. People like to make snide remarks about Twilight and so, when I'm in a bookshop with them and there are merchandising goods there, they point and laugh and say: Look, there's your obsession!
Other things have happened also, which is no fun at all :( But the most stupid things are the snide remarks about Twilight and so. If, e.g., I'm reading twilight for the zillionth time, most people's reaction is: Again?! Which is a normal reaction, but not fun...
Essay33
Wandering Through Town

Post by Essay33 »

I teach English in a high school. I wouldn't DARE admit my appreciation of Twilight. Of course, I can use it all I want with the students, for example, introducing our unit on Shelley's Frankenstein I show a clip of Jurassic Park and the scene in Twilight where Edward tells Bella how he was created, and that he doesn't want to be a monster. The connection between these contemporary materials and Shelley's novel interests the students enough to make reading Frankenstein a little more intriguing.

And of course I can have the Twilight poster up on the wall along with LOTR, Beowulf and Hamlet. You should see the amount of Twilight posters he school librarian gets away with!

But admit I'm a fan? Never. I'd never hear the end of it.
"Where I am not understood, it shall be concluded that something very useful and profound is couched underneath." --Jonathan Swift, A Tale of a Tub
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Essay 33 - Do you admit your obsession with you friends and family, though? I'm an English teacher too, but teach adults ESL, so I can talk about it and in fact encourage my female students to read Twilight because it is a good reading exercise!!! I can sure understand that it is different with high school students - you must keep your hierarchical position, and if you like the same things, they just can't handle it!!!

Phena -
....The most of them believe that Meyer's book are written for young people and considering that I'm an adult woman and not a teeneger they wonder why I like them so much.
I know exactly what you mean. I sent you a PM - just wanted to make sure you knew to check! :D
Essay33
Wandering Through Town

Post by Essay33 »

Susie wrote:Essay 33 - Do you admit your obsession with you friends and family, though?
My friends know almost nothing of my fandom. It is kind of hard to hide from my family, but I restrain myself from ever talking about it (saves me a lot of teasing). At work I actually don't care if my students know, it's my peers who would never let me hear the end of it. You should see how they torment the librarian with all the Twilight "READ" posters. Seriously. It's far too lowbrow for some of them, and given my utter lack of seniority I can't afford the label of "immature" in my reading preferences.

Part of me thinks "I have a Master's Degree in Lit, who are you to criticize my taste in reading material," but the realist in me knows that I have to play their game.
"Where I am not understood, it shall be concluded that something very useful and profound is couched underneath." --Jonathan Swift, A Tale of a Tub
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Essay - Thanks for expounding....I can understand why you want to keep it from your peers. I feel like the attachment to the books is on a fairly deep level. For me, I experience them in an altered state of consciousness - no hyperbole intended. I just started Midnight Sun now (I put it off because I don't really like reading so many pages online) and I was again transported......It's hard to explain to an outsider.
chewie1bernie
Settled in Forks

Post by chewie1bernie »

Some of my family thinks I'm a bit of an addict. So, yeah. I'm usually very sensitive, but I've learned to brush it off. I love the series. I'm on Twilight Fanfiction. net. You should read the stories I have up.
Essay33
Wandering Through Town

Post by Essay33 »

Susie, by the way, I adore your little signature blinkie. May I steal it please?
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Essay - Sure. I'll send you the URL in a PM.