General Discussion on the Twilight Universe

Moderators: December, bac, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
m_s_bella
Settled in Forks

Re: Made fun of for liking Twilight?

Post by m_s_bella »

Hey Mandy I don't know if it's weird to miss fictional characters but I miss them too,and a lot,and I have nobody to talk to.My best friends think it's a childish thing,they don't even like it,and if I mention it they're all like :roll: .I mean it's been a while since I read the series,but I kinda miss that feeling of "being" there with them,and living through Bella's eyes. My boyfriend doesn't get it,he likes the Twilight saga,well he has seen the movies but he's just not that into it.But if you need to see a therapist I guess I need too.My God even my little sister thinks I'm crazy.Watching the movies,and reading the best parts of the books. :shock:
I also read The Host,it's pretty good,but not the thing I was looking :) it's just not Twilight,but I'm thrilled about the guide :)
Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

I know exactly what you mean mandyhope22. And I'm sure other people here feel the same way, so no need for a therapist ;) . There's just nothing like reading a book for the first time and the thrill of finding out what's on the next page or in the next book. But, I must admit that I am a relatively new fan and there is still plenty of stuff that I haven't seen/read yet. So for now I can 'quench my thirst' with Lexing and following every bit of news around the saga. Other than that, I just read my first fanfic and, though I never thought I would,I have to say I'm hooked! Maybe you could try that if you haven't done so already.

On another note, I wanted to vent a little about something that happend a few days ago. I was at the store buying two DVD's and a CD. They were not twilight related, but one of those DVD's was Remember me with RP. (Great movie by the way! Didn't see the end coming; shocked, cried and couldn't function right for another two hours. Go see it if you haven't.) The sales guy was pulling out all his sales thricks and when he saw that I picked out that DVD I swear this look came over his face that said 'Now I have her'. He started telling me that Eclipse was coming out soon but that I probably already knew that and how I would be back to buy that one too. He stated that as a fact. The way he looked down on me was just wrong. Like seeing a RP movie would undeniably define me as an ultimate Twilight fan. Now, as is obvious from my presence here, I am going to buy Eclipse (though now not at that store), but the way people jump to conclusions just makes me mad. What if I just like a good drama or what if I was buying it as a gift? ... Just, Ugh! :x
FF profile: Suzqnv5689
mandyhope22
Settled in Forks

Post by mandyhope22 »

I haven't read any fan fic yet. That's a good idea. I also haven't read the copy of Midnight Sun on SM's website. I read the first chapter but I would like to wait until it's published to read it how she meant it to be read.

Suzan-That's weird about that sales guy. If I was thinking on my feet, I would have played dumb and pretended I had no idea what Eclipse was or The Twilight Saga for that matter. He probably wouldn't have had much to say to that. Thanks for recommending Remember Me. I wasn't sure if it would be good, I heard varied reviews.

Also, any theories on any releases that might happen between the Guide and BD #1? I'm still pining away for Midnight Sun and I can't imagine SM waiting until after BD #2 is out to publish it. If she publishes it at all, I guess.

I thought I should include, since I am on this thread, that I haven't really been made fun of for liking Twilight. My husband rolls his eyes at me but he is the one who bought me all of the books for Valentine's Day :D I think the only person who thinks I'm weird is me because I think about the books a lot and I'm always wondering if there is going to be another one published. Maybe I'll get my answer after the guide comes out.
Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

That would be the perfect answer, thanks! To bad I can never think of stuff like that in the moment itself. But I'll make sure to use it next time. :D
I'm with you on MS. It would be great if it got published between BD1 and BD2. But I'm not getting my hopes up. There has been absolutely no clue as to whether SM is even going to finish writing it and I don't blame her for it.
FF profile: Suzqnv5689
mandyhope22
Settled in Forks

Post by mandyhope22 »

I understand SM's postponement of finishing MS but it's also a little confusing. She says she's burned out on vampires (which saddens me) but her most recent book and her next book are about vampires. I couldn't care less about the guide. I will buy it and read it but I would definitely rather have MS in my hot little hands. I could understand if she said I'm burned out on vampires and then put a new book out on a totally different topic or the next book in The Host series but her last book and her next book are both about vampires. Huh? Guess I'm just frustrated about it. Oh well, she'll put it out in her own good time and I'm sure people will be lined up to buy it (me included). I read one article where she said she didn't want to finish MS until everyone had forgotten about it. I don't think that will ever happen. I don't understand putting other vampire books (Bree and the Guide) out there and not giving the fans the one they really want. I understand the betrayal she felt but she's said she's over it. I understand she can't write when she feels like someone is looking over her shoulder but we've all been there. We've all done things that we wish we could put off or just plain don't feel like doing but we do them because they need to be done. You'd think she'd want to write it and get it over with so she could stop being asked about it. Maybe I'm misinterpreting but it sounds like she doesn't even want to try to finish it. Then in the back of my mind, I'm convinced it's already finished and they are just waiting for the right time to release it. Ok, I'm off my soap box about MS. I did read Twilight again last week and there are so many spots where I will love to read what Edward is thinking or what Edward is doing when he's away from Bella. It will be very interesting, that's for sure!
TwilightedVampire
Settled in Forks

Post by TwilightedVampire »

I'll be totally honest, I haven't finished reading the Twilight Saga yet; I'm only on Eclipse. However, I'm extremely into the movies. I know every little detail about every movie up to the point of which character was holding which item in which movie, or even what they were wearing or what they said. I've been made fun of for that for awhile now. People just don't understand how it compares to being a Star Trek fan or a Lord Of The Rings fan. They just think it's some stupid little book, or movie. Personally, I think people only say Twilight sucks is because EVERYONE says it does, and they know that as soon as they say they like it, that they're going to be made fun of and stereotyped. It's also really annoying when people say Twilight is stupid, and they haven't even read/watched them; they just want to join all of the "cool" kids and make fun of the Saga because it's the "in" thing to do. I tend to just ignore them and then proudly show off my Twilight knowledge to them. I finally found a friend, though, that knows just as much as I do about the movies/books, and finally, I can have an intellectual conversation about Twilight with her, and that is refreshing, and really awesome, because then I don't feel so alone in my group of friends, and we can just randomly have a very complex conversation in front of other people, and then someone will see us talking, and think we're absolutely crazy. To be honest, I kind of like being crazy. :D
"The odds are always stacked against us. Mistake after mistake. I’ll never criticize Romeo again."
Bubblegum
Settled in Forks

Post by Bubblegum »

My friends hate Twilight, but I don't think most of them have even read it. D; I think people judge things before they really know about them, because it's "cool" not to like certain things. While in many places Twilight is "cool", where I live it's not. ;-; I guess it's about going with the flow. xD
[look at] m e
CourtCullen
Settled in Forks

Post by CourtCullen »

Bubblegum wrote:My friends hate Twilight, but I don't think most of them have even read it. D; I think people judge things before they really know about them, because it's "cool" not to like certain things. While in many places Twilight is "cool", where I live it's not. ;-; I guess it's about going with the flow. xD
I totally agree! A lot of my friends either like it, but aren't obsessed with it, or they just don't like it since it's the "cool" thing to do.

I'm the only one that realizes that I'm crazy about Twilight. I'm about to start reading the series for the 5th time, I have Twilight movie marathons every weekend, I only listen to the soundtrack on my iPod when I'm on my way to school or doing homework, I constantly relate things to Twilight, but only in my head since none of my friends would understand what im saying. :lol: I'm always looking forward to the next time I can read. I had restrained from reading MS, but I decided to read it, and wow, I cannot stop. If anyone knew how obsessed I was, they'd probably make fun of me. Anyone who loves Twilight is automatically considered "weird" at my school, which is pathetic. I do have a Twilight shirt for when I go to midnight premiers and such, but that's about as far as it goes when it comes to showing my fandom. I know my friends shouldn't judge me based on that, and it's not that I'm worried about them not being my friends, talk about it is just not the same when they hate it. It's not fun to talk about something you love with someone who just rolls their eyes and calls you crazy.
Fighting fate
Wandering Through Town

Post by Fighting fate »

This conversation reminds me of something that just happened to me today. I was asking a friend what they like to read, there favorite book/author etc... and she came out with "well i dont read twilight if thats what your asking, i think the whole romance love story is rather pathetic... cant stand twilight"

what bothered me about this is that i hadnt even mentioned twilight and she just went off and started bashing the books without being provoked in the slightest. She hadnt even read the series, and im sure she was basing her opinion on the squeeling fans that make up my school, the ones who are obsessed with how hot edward and jacob are. And im sure the movies had alot to do with her opinion. Its fine that she doesnt like the books, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but to have an opinion in the first place you need to know a little bit about the subject you are talking about. How can you have hatred towards something that you havent even experienced. If she read the books, there would still be a good chance she wouldnt have enjoyed them(which would be fine), but if she HAD at least gave them a chance, then i could at least respect her opinion, and agree to disagree.

I mean i love the books with all my heart, and i can admit here that i probably do love them more then i should, it falls under the category of obsession at times. But how could i not react this way when twilight changed my life so thouroughly. I learned how to fall in love with fictional characters in reading twilight, i learned how to feel the emotions that mere words on a page provoke so powerfully, i learned to paint pictures in my head with the use of imagery. I learned to love reading, and i would have never read another book in my life if i hadnt picked up twilight that day. Its a shame that i feel like i cant share this with the people around me for the fact that i know ill get crazy looks, and second glances. I mean ill stand true to what i love, and if asked what my favorite book was, i wouldnt hesitate to answer truthfully... but i would never volunteer this information, because i dred the reactions i know are to follow. Like what was said before, its no fun to talk to someone about something they dont appreciate or understand. Thats why the lex has been a safe haven for all those who are obsessed with the books, and need to express their love and voice their opinions in a non-threatening environment, because on more then one occasion i have been questioned or judged because of the mere mention of reading the books, and that to me is just unfair.
I dont want you, i need you. I dont care for you, i love you. Ill be there for you, because of you. I wont kill for you, Ill live for you. Ill do anything for you~~NBB
CourtCullen
Settled in Forks

Post by CourtCullen »

It is definitely not right when people make such judgemental opinions on things that they have virtually no knowledge about. That's how my best friend is. She only hates Twilight because of how obsessed people are with it. She doesn't know the story or characters very well. She just knows the "Team Edward or Team Jacob" side of it. People don't understand that it's not about who's hotter, Edward or Jacob. The story and characters have so much more depth to them than that. I wish others would just take the time to figure that out.

Twilight has definitely affected my life in so many positive ways; many being the same ways as yours, Fighting fate. I hate not being able to share it with friends or family. I tried to convince my mom to read the series, but she doesn't love to read like I do. That's why I love the Lex. I love being able to discuss the series with people who share the same amount of passion for the series as I do. I also love how every conversation on here isn't, "OMG I love Edward he's soooo hawt" or the whole "Team" argument. I do love these books more than I should, but it's nice that I've found somewhere where others feel the same way since I can't find that in my daily life.