Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Bella Swan Cullen

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

right... but how does that change the fact that she hurt everyone else?? to bring pain upon yourself is one thing, to bring it upon others is another.

but you know, i can't really fault her for the whole edward/jacob/bella thing. i just can't. she had every right to love jacob. she had every right to love edward. she had every right to do all these things. now, if we were in reality, what she had done would have been terrible. but she's making a decision none of us will ever have to make. she's deciding to enter into a "forever and ever" relationship that really IS forever and ever, no matter if she has regrets. i think, considering that, she had a right to explore other options.

either way, she always had a right to see jacob. she always had a right to have him as a friend.

IF she had wanted him to be JUST her friend it was up to her to set limits, like to not hold his hand, not hug him, not lead him on. but she wanted more than that, even though she didn't realize it. she didn't realize it because she loved edward so much. in my eyes, her only fault in that is that she was so into her relationship with edward that she lost perspective of her other relationships.

she has plenty of other flaws, along with plenty of good things about her. but that situation couldn't have been helped.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
EmmettCullen534
Settled in Forks

Post by EmmettCullen534 »

I use some of Freud's ideas to explain my reasoning of why Bella should have been a true newborn. I use Wikipedia to explain the terms if you don't know them-

Vampires, newborns especially are mainly controlled by what Freud called a person's id (Wikipedia says "The Id comprises the unorganized part of the personality structure that contains the basic drives. The Id is unconscious by definition.") . Newborns lack a super-ego (Wikipedia says "The Super-ego comprises that organized part of the personality structure, mainly but not entirely unconscious, that includes the individual's ego ideals, spiritual goals, and the psychic agency (commonly called 'conscience') that criticizes and prohibits his or her drives, fantasies, feelings, and actions.") , resulting them to go on impulses and do whatever will satisfy their id. For vampires, this would be their thirst. It would've been SO much more interesting to have a story where Bella as a vampire wants to go on her impulses, satisfy her id; but also wants to retain her morals, conscience, and super-ego. Edward would have to be her moral compass and would try to help her contain her temptations and desires, and control her id.
twilightbelle<3
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by twilightbelle<3 »

I really like how Bella was never, like, a naggy teenage girl. :roll: Argh, reading other books after you have read Twilight, where the character is just..."Blah blah blah, shoes, blah blah blah, lipgloss" It's like, "Okay, screw this, I am reading Twilight again for the 9028934284398 time!" and then there is Bella, who is violently in love with a vampire, and would go out wearing jeans and a t-shirt forever, if it was possible.
ImageImage
E<3B
eliselovesedwardx
Completely Dazzled!

Post by eliselovesedwardx »

twilightbelle<3 wrote:I really like how Bella was never, like, a naggy teenage girl. :roll: Argh, reading other books after you have read Twilight, where the character is just..."Blah blah blah, shoes, blah blah blah, lipgloss" It's like, "Okay, screw this, I am reading Twilight again for the 9028934284398 time!" and then there is Bella, who is violently in love with a vampire, and would go out wearing jeans and a t-shirt forever, if it was possible.
That is why I love reading these! She is not the kind of teenage girl most girls are! (if that makes sense) she sin't worried about her appearance - what she wears, how her hair looks, what make-up she wears, what shoes etc etc, which so many young girls are obsessed about. I think this is so good, especially for me to relate because I prefer love, no worries and being comfortable over anything else..like alot of other girls out there.
::Elise:: Backhoe Operator for EDC, Inc~EDC's Cheer Squad Captain!
I'm on the List~The names Mooner
Tinkerbell 31
Wandering Through Town

Post by Tinkerbell 31 »

my favorite character would have to be bella i mean shes really mature for her age and is a stong woman
twilightbelle<3
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by twilightbelle<3 »

eliselovesedwardx wrote:
twilightbelle<3 wrote:I really like how Bella was never, like, a naggy teenage girl. :roll: Argh, reading other books after you have read Twilight, where the character is just..."Blah blah blah, shoes, blah blah blah, lipgloss" It's like, "Okay, screw this, I am reading Twilight again for the 9028934284398 time!" and then there is Bella, who is violently in love with a vampire, and would go out wearing jeans and a t-shirt forever, if it was possible.
That is why I love reading these! She is not the kind of teenage girl most girls are! (if that makes sense) she sin't worried about her appearance - what she wears, how her hair looks, what make-up she wears, what shoes etc etc, which so many young girls are obsessed about. I think this is so good, especially for me to relate because I prefer love, no worries and being comfortable over anything else..like alot of other girls out there.
EXACTLY! It's like, in high school, we get enough of that crap to spare. I don't want to read about it! Give me something, that isn't extremely superficial, and that I can relate to...! To an extent! Y'know?
XD
ImageImage
E<3B
sarina1113
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by sarina1113 »

You've got it exactly right. It's hard reading other books with a high school setting because I can't deal with the typical things girls obsess about. One of the main reasons why Bella's my favorite character is because her personality is so close to mine. She very mature for her age. The way she thinks and rationalizes in situations is pretty much dead on to how I would.

Yay, Bella! :-)
J<3N
Q: Who's your favorite vampire? Edward Cullen or Bill Compton?
A: Well, Bill has quite the...uh... I'll just say Bill is my favorite for undisclosed reasons...

Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:right... but how does that change the fact that she hurt everyone else?? to bring pain upon yourself is one thing, to bring it upon others is another.

but you know, i can't really fault her for the whole edward/jacob/bella thing. i just can't. she had every right to love jacob. she had every right to love edward. she had every right to do all these things. now, if we were in reality, what she had done would have been terrible. but she's making a decision none of us will ever have to make. she's deciding to enter into a "forever and ever" relationship that really IS forever and ever, no matter if she has regrets. i think, considering that, she had a right to explore other options.

either way, she always had a right to see jacob. she always had a right to have him as a friend.

IF she had wanted him to be JUST her friend it was up to her to set limits, like to not hold his hand, not hug him, not lead him on. but she wanted more than that, even though she didn't realize it. she didn't realize it because she loved edward so much. in my eyes, her only fault in that is that she was so into her relationship with edward that she lost perspective of her other relationships.

she has plenty of other flaws, along with plenty of good things about her. but that situation couldn't have been helped.
I agree, for the most part.

To me, Yes - Bella had the right to do this or that... You said, it was "up to her to set limits" and Bella didn't, when she should have.
I don't have a problem with her falling inlove with Jacob, just because under the circumstances she was in. But to me, i just find it hard to believe that she didn't realize she was inlove with him. I mean, when someone is attracted to someone, don't you feel something (EVEN if you love someone else?)? it's quite odd.
__
Hm. Isn't Bella supposed to be a girly girl? So, I think she's big on clothes too, not in like "oh my gosh i have to have this." but i think she likes to present herself nicely. But yeah, i agree, she's not obsessive about clothes.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

well malaz, it's hard not to realize you feel something, but bella always acknowledged that she LOVED Jacob just not that she was IN love with him. She was so into Edward that it would be unhealthy in a NORMAL relationship, and that clouded her vision quite a bit. does that make more sense??

bella's very moderate about her appearance. she's not prissy or anything, but she does like to look nice. she's just not obsessive or overly preoccupied with looking perfect - nice enough is enough for her. we do relate in that way.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

yes. it does make sense. But, there are lots of kinds of love. she thought she loved him like family. But she's actaully IN-love with him. i just find it hard to believe to not realize that. Maybe she isn't aware of her emotions as well as she thinks she is.

yeah, that's nice. She's a girly girl, but to a limit. i like that.