Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
koella
Settled in Forks

Re: Bella Swan Cullen

Post by koella »

SenorGimp wrote:
AUCTORITA
What makes their relationship so special? Just out of curiosity.
You can't be serious..

It should be apparent to EVERYONE who read the series that their relationship was incredibly special...
Bella is to Edward as a Delectable half inch sirloin steak is to a man who hasn't eaten in weeks: irresistible.
But he was initially so intrigued by her that he overcame his incredible desire to drink her dry, and instead got to know her, got to love her, and found in her something he hadn't known he'd been missing for 90 years..
From the other end of the spectrum, Bella had never had anyone genuinely care about her, at least not anyone who wasn't required by blood to do so, nor had she ever let loose her grip on her emotions and allowed herself to care for anyone else, having been confined (by choice, of course) to take care of her fickle and sporadic mother throughout the majority of her young adult life.
The absolute unlikeliness (I might even venture to call it an absurdity), of the love that is found and honed between Edward and Bella is unlike anything that has ever existed before. The defiance of all precedents, and indeed of nature itself, that led to their unbelievable love is something that should be cherished for all of time as one of the greatest examples of unwavering devotion overcoming all obstacles and adversities that has ever graced our world.
The fact that neither one of them had ever felt anything even close to what they find in each other is heart-warming and sanguine, and it just goes to show that true love knows NO BOUNDS, and is there for anyone who is willing to just go that extra mile and fight for what they want.

Damn...
If I can't even read one sentence without responding at such great length, I'll never finish reading all of the posts on this thread...
-sigh-
lol your long response is great, and i do agree with what you say. their relationship is a defiance to nature, reason and rationality. i guess if you put their relationship next to a bunch of other similar relationships it's not really special. and not original (i've read quite a few other vampire books where a vampire guy falls in love with a human girl, etc etc). but i still think it's great and interesting to read about. the fact that they would die for each other is powerful. sure you can see it as "what's so great about that? SM is just romanticizing death when in truth it's not all that great", but i personally view it as a symbol of their selflessness; that they would die to protect one another. there are tons of people out there who would think there's nothing special about their relationship and that it's just based on lust or it's an abusive relationship. it's how you view things i suppose.

TeamCullenRocks
Settled in Forks

Post by TeamCullenRocks »

Bella is actually one of my favorite characters from the entire series, and not because she was the one telling the story. I liked the way she came out of her social shell as the series progressed, and I really find her to be a beautiful person. I wish her story wasn't over. :(
"It makes me... anxious... to be away from you."
-Edward, Twilight, p. 188

TeamCullenRocks
Settled in Forks

Post by TeamCullenRocks »

In my opinion, Bella has really matured. Throughout her human life, she had a lot of responsibility thrust upon her. She had to basically take care of both of her parents; Charlie's cooking is awful, and he was basically too loazy to come in and do the housework, if you ask me. He would just plop down and watch SportsCenter or something. Bella said that she did the cooking back in Phoenix too, and no doubt she did everything else for her mother. So, I think she was mature even before the story began, and she became even more so as the series progressed.
"It makes me... anxious... to be away from you."
-Edward, Twilight, p. 188

leahroselover
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by leahroselover »

I don't think Bella is any more mature than the average teen. Lots of children cook. They have to eat don't they? I think that Bella lost maturity points when she fell madly in love after 2-3 months. That's the same quick love most teenagers have. Nothing special
Avi By Kaitlin @B&E.com
Sig by Electrimafried @ASN
Why Edward Hates Blonde's Pg-13 : A Dark/Romance/Comedy Fic

edward4ever
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by edward4ever »

leahroselover wrote:I don't think Bella is any more mature than the average teen. Lots of children cook. They have to eat don't they? I think that Bella lost maturity points when she fell madly in love after 2-3 months. That's the same quick love most teenagers have. Nothing special
I fell madly in love with my hubby within 2-3 months when I was in my 20's, and years later (I won't say how many as it will show you just how TOO old I am to be on this forum as much as I am!), it's still very special! Edward and Bella were meant to be together. Teenagers can experience "love at first sight" too. Especially when it's their (yes, I'm going to use that word AGAIN!) DESTINY!! :D
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!

leahroselover

Post by leahroselover »

Well I am 16 and I dont really believe in love or destiny lol.
Edward and Bella were meant to be together, of course, because its a book and the end couples are ALWAYS meant to be together. It doesn't make the couples perfect though
Avi By Kaitlin @B&E.com

flutterbymonkeys`
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by flutterbymonkeys` »

leahroselover wrote:I don't think Bella is any more mature than the average teen. Lots of children cook. They have to eat don't they? I think that Bella lost maturity points when she fell madly in love after 2-3 months. That's the same quick love most teenagers have. Nothing special
But she is more responsible about it. Most teens would be like Edward was when he was human. Ask them to marry you right away. When Edward proposed, she was really reluctant. I think that gave her maturity points.
Lion+Lamb=Lochness Monster!
JN

dazzlingdynamite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by dazzlingdynamite »

edward4ever wrote:
I fell madly in love with my hubby within 2-3 months when I was in my 20's, and years later (I won't say how many as it will show you just how TOO old I am to be on this forum as much as I am!), it's still very special! Edward and Bella were meant to be together. Teenagers can experience "love at first sight" too. Especially when it's their (yes, I'm going to use that word AGAIN!) DESTINY!! :D
You give me hope, you know that?
I believe in all that, true love, destiny, soul mates.
Heres for whisful thinking, who says something isn't real just because you've never experienced it? I do hope that some day, like you ^^ I'll find someone that the sort of love Bella and Edward have never goes away and is always special, and always there.

Anyway, my opinion of Bella is pretty simple. She is just a little too dependant on men for my tastes . . . I'm not much of feminist, but I do believe in being independant, and she obviously doesn't, after her total break down from Edward leaving, but then again I've never really experienced proper love (I am only thirteen) so I couldn't imagine what it's like to have someone you love so profusely taken away from you . . .
She's also just the teensiest boring, but then none of us are probably as exciting as we all think XD
Call That a Comeback?
YOU ME AT SIX

leahroselover

Post by leahroselover »

flutterbymonkeys` wrote:
But she is more responsible about it. Most teens would be like Edward was when he was human. Ask them to marry you right away. When Edward proposed, she was really reluctant. I think that gave her maturity points.
Well I wouldn't either cause I'd only know Edward for what a year? :?
You give me hope, you know that?
I believe in all that, true love, destiny, soul mates.
Heres for whisful thinking, who says something isn't real just because you've never experienced it? I do hope that some day, like you ^^ I'll find someone that the sort of love Bella and Edward have never goes away and is always special, and always there.

Anyway, my opinion of Bella is pretty simple. She is just a little too dependant on men for my tastes . . . I'm not much of feminist, but I do believe in being independant, and she obviously doesn't, after her total break down from Edward leaving, but then again I've never really experienced proper love (I am only thirteen) so I couldn't imagine what it's like to have someone you love so profusely taken away from you . . .
She's also just the teensiest boring, but then none of us are probably as exciting as we all think XD
I agree with everything you said except the stuff at the top. True Love, Soul Mates :p
Avi By Kaitlin @B&E.com

Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

flutterbymonkeys` wrote:
um, there's a difference. Edward was born longgggggg time ago and at his time people married young. It was considered too old for a woman to marry over the age of 25 i think.
Besides, my mom was 18 when she was married and my dad was like in his twenties i think and they are still together and i know they were married in like the ice age so it was quite normal for them too. And for me, i don't consider it "immature" to marry at 18 (it really depends). And Bella is an immature girl regardless. And she refused to not marry Edward not because she was mature but because marriage is embarrassing...yeahhhh talk about maturity right there.

leahroselover - of coarse their relationship is special. It's not some teenage quick love. It's SO much more than that. I am running out of time to write a full paragraph so i'll add more later.