Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
sillyhead.
Settled in Forks

Re: Edward Cullen

Post by sillyhead. »

i love edward.
i also think rob fits the role quite well.
:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:um, malaz. edward owes jacob EVERYTHING he holds dear. if not for jacob, bella would have done something terribly drastic in new moon. he also saved her after the cliff jumping ridiculousness. his influence in the pack gave them enough numbers to take out the newborns. he also kept bella from freezing to death the night before the fight. in BD, the pack would have attacked the cullens and probably won if jake hadn't stepped in. so, i think edward owes him a lot, respect, at least.

and yes, in case you couldn't tell, bella and edward's reactions INFURIATED me. i understand their feelings and i think they have a right to that, i know that's how i would FEEL, but that's no excuse for treating him like crap over something he couldn't control.

I think it's different when it's about your own child. Okay, they own their lives to Jacob, This doesn't mean they have to be happy that Jacob imprinted on their daughter. One thing has nothing to do with the other. The way you speak it sounds that Renesmee is some kind of payment for Jacob's help. And I don't believe this is the way Jacob or Bella and Edward see at all. Jake left the pack because he thought it was the right thing to do. He was helping his best friend. And this is priceless.

Edward and Bella's reaction were predictible. They have a newborn child and, somehow, she's already attached to another person. Have you considered how difficult this is? Nessie is half-human, nobody knows how she'll grow and everything and, on top of that, she's imprinted by Jacob. Of course Bella and Edward's know how imprint works and I bet Jacob wouldn't choose the daughter of a vampire to imprint. But it happened. This doesn't make any eaiser for all the parts. I think they dealled with the whole thing the way they could.
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

^i agree. edward and bella were not acting like this because they didn't feel that they owed jacob anything. they just had their kid, and already she belongs to someone else. (sort of) they were just acting on instincts. any normal parent would do the same.
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
Swan
Settled in Forks

Edward Cullen

Post by Swan »

It's funny how everyone's Edward is so different. Mine is always blonde! I can't get the auburn hair into my image. He sort of has a young Leonardo DiCaprio look...maybe a sprinkle of young Brad Pitt...

As for Midnight Sun... I can't get myself to read it yet. I'm still upset. If Stephenie promised us today she would finish and publish it I wouldn't ever take one look. I want it as part of the collection so badly. Oh well.
At midday we stumble as if it were twilight; among the strong, we are like the dead. Isaiah 59:10

Then Jonathan said to David: "Tomorrow is the New Moon festival." 1 Samuel 20:18

Its kingdom fell into sudden eclipse. Rev. 16:10
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

ugh ya. i can't read midnight sun. i promised myself i wouldn't. i have tried talking myself into doing it so many times, but then i just think that this was not the way stephenie wanted us to read it. i won't read something she was forced into giving out. its just not fair. plus, if she came out after we got done with all this thank you stuff, and said she was going to finish it someday, i would want it to all be new. i'm going to wait at least until november 1st to read it. i can withstand urges until then. i just figure that if she has had time to think it over and still says no, then i guess there is no point in waiting. i still have my tiny little ounce of hope that maybe, just maybe, she will change her mind. i doubt it, but its ok to dream, right?
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i'm entirely too sick of people misinterpreting the things that i say.

i have never said that bella and edward's feelings of unhappiness over the situation with jacob and nessie was anything but understandable and natural. check that. you'll see it's true.

however, i have said that the way edward spoke to and of jacob afterwards irritated me, and bella's ACTIONS - not feelings - were out of control and ridiculous. seth's broken shoulder should have been jacob's. and that's just not fair.

when i said that they owed jacob a hell of a lot, i meant it, and still do. however, i was saying that separate from nessie. of course i don't think nessie was payment for jacob's efforts or anything of the sort. to interpret it that way is misguided. however, i DO think that jacob has at least earned the respect and trust of bella and edward, at least. because he HAS done a lot.

i was responding to malaz's claim that he hadn't done anything, not in reaction to whether or not he "deserves" nessie, as no one "deserves" anyone else. a human being is not something to be used as payment or repayment.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:i'm entirely too sick of people misinterpreting the things that i say.

i have never said that bella and edward's feelings of unhappiness over the situation with jacob and nessie was anything but understandable and natural. check that. you'll see it's true.

however, i have said that the way edward spoke to and of jacob afterwards irritated me, and bella's ACTIONS - not feelings - were out of control and ridiculous. seth's broken shoulder should have been jacob's. and that's just not fair.
I think Luuna-san response was the best answer to this. I will add that Bella is a new born which had a lot to do with her reaction to the whole imprinting. I believe Edward stated that fact and Bella was so sorry about what had happen to Seth.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.
Auctorita
Learning to Love Green

Post by Auctorita »

Kachiti wrote:
I think Luuna-san response was the best answer to this. I will add that Bella is a new born which had a lot to do with her reaction to the whole imprinting. I believe Edward stated that fact and Bella was so sorry about what had happen to Seth.
Bella was a newborn yes, but she also had nearly instantaneous control as a vampire. She was able to stop herself from chasing the humans on her first hunt so why is she incapable of at least keeping herself from violently attacking people when she gets upset? Her character contradicts itself too often.

Even though she is sorry it does not change the fact that she still injured Seth.

I wasn't all that surprised with Edward's behaviour towards Jacob and imprinting; he has always treated Jacob poorly throughout the entire series. Not that I think that it's ok, but that I expected him to react that way. With Bella, I don't know what her problem was.

So, when Edward tells Jacob he considers him to be both a brother and a son it sounded like total BS to me, did anyone else think that?
Who Watches the Watchmen?
www.deus-ex-machina.co.cc
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i understand all that. i'm saying they had no right to be so nasty about it. just because she was sorry afterwards doesn't mean it wasn't ridiculous and silly and not right.

it's like with the truck thing in eclipse. edward was worried, meant well, etc. etc. etc., we all know all this. it doesn't mean he had the right to freak out the way he did. that was still very wrong. but it does make it understandable. not right in any way, but forgivable. but that doesn't change the fact that it was wrong at the time.

look, i'm not saying it makes them bad people or that it was a really big deal. someone asked if edward's reaction infuriated anyone else, and i responded with an agreement. it did infuriate me. it didn't make me hate him or dislike him or bella - although i already disliked bella - it just made me mad when he did that. just like some of the things jacob/emmett/charlie/sam/leah/alice/rosalie etc. have made me mad.

with edward, it threw me a bit because the level of his respect for jacob and their relationship had grown and progressed so much and i was so happy about that, and then it seemed to all go down the drain over something jacob had absolutely zero control over. it felt like it was sort of disconnected with the rest of the story. does anyone else see that at least?

auctorita - i agree. but i don't think the brother son thing sounded like BS, i think he meant it. the use of the word "son" creeped me out a bit though.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:look, i'm not saying it makes them bad people or that it was a really big deal. someone asked if edward's reaction infuriated anyone else, and i responded with an agreement. it did infuriate me. it didn't make me hate him or dislike him or bella - although i already disliked bella - it just made me mad when he did that. just like some of the things jacob/emmett/charlie/sam/leah/alice/rosalie etc. have made me mad.
See? The question was really one based soley on opinion and then reasons why. You were infuriated by Edward and Bella's reactions to Jake imprinting. I wasn't. We have our reasons why and why not. It seems to all be based on how we see the situation and in a sense, who we side with. It's strange because I can SEE why you were upset, but I can't agree because I wasn't.

It's interesting that you brought up the truck thing. Because you call it "wrong" to freak out the way he did. But what makes it wrong? He overreacted and it was "wrong" for him to overreact that way, but you can't call his need to overreact "wrong". But I'm thinking I'm just disputing your wording. If you want to take that angle though, it was "wrong" for Jacob to leave Bella after he turned werewolf. HE was simply trying to keep her safe, but wasn't it "wrong" for him to leave her that way? Again, all about wording I suppose.

As for the neverending discussion on the "son" comment, I didn't like it either. Not so much because it sounded like BS, but because it just didn't match up. Yes, Jacob and Edward's relationship had grown, but to the point where Edward could call Jacob "son"? Nope. I don't think so.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B