Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Re: Jacob Black

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Bkwrm wrote:SM didn't do Jake any favors in this book. I saw *some* character growth (his refusal to follow Sam's orders, his realization that Leah was hurting as bad as he was) but for the most part, he didn't change. He didn't grow.

In Eclipse, he promised not to "tear Bella in half". Weeks later, he goes to her wedding and throws a public tantrum. Then he lies to Sam and goes off with the intention of murdering Edward because he thinks Bella has been changed. So much for Jacob keeping his promises.

Then after promising to protect Bella's child, he decides to murder her. He's within a few feet of *dismembering a baby* when he imprints. No character growth, no realization that Vampires aren't Evil.

He gets magically transformed by SM's magic fairy dust.
that's just not true.

ok first of all, he didn't throw a "public tantrum" very few people noticed what was going on. in fact, most people did not even know he was there. and the tantrum was about something that, well, he was right about. he thought that if edward had sex with bella while she was human, he'd kill her. and he DID seriously mess her up a bit. he was worried about it to. his promise to "not cut bella in half" meant that he wasn't going to keep trying to win her love, get her to chose him. not that he wouldn't be angry if edward hurt her. yes, he got very angry when he heard about edward's plans. but they were VERY dangerous.

second of all, when did he promise to protect that baby? he promised to kill edward when and if bella died. but do you think he would have done that either? and what makes you think his intention was to kill her. as i remember it, he left bella's room because she was dead, pretty much, and he didn't want to see it. he also felt a pull from downstairs, which i took to mean a pull towards nessie, since he was about to imprint on her. and also, you think rose would have let him get close enough to see her well enough to imprint if he had been homicidal? i think not.

when, in this book, does he think that vampires are evil?? he says several times he's starting to think of edward as a brother. he's civil with everyone but rose, and well, can you blame him? he's pretty friendly with alice, and touched by the intentions of esme. and obviously he doesn't think they are evil, or he wouldn't have protected them from sam. he could have saved bella without saving the rest.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Twilight<3
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Twilight<3 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:that's just not true.

ok first of all, he didn't throw a "public tantrum" very few people noticed what was going on. in fact, most people did not even know he was there. and the tantrum was about something that, well, he was right about. he thought that if edward had sex with bella while she was human, he'd kill her. and he DID seriously mess her up a bit. he was worried about it to. his promise to "not cut bella in half" meant that he wasn't going to keep trying to win her love, get her to chose him. not that he wouldn't be angry if edward hurt her. yes, he got very angry when he heard about edward's plans. but they were VERY dangerous.

second of all, when did he promise to protect that baby? he promised to kill edward when and if bella died. but do you think he would have done that either? and what makes you think his intention was to kill her. as i remember it, he left bella's room because she was dead, pretty much, and he didn't want to see it. he also felt a pull from downstairs, which i took to mean a pull towards nessie, since he was about to imprint on her. and also, you think rose would have let him get close enough to see her well enough to imprint if he had been homicidal? i think not.

when, in this book, does he think that vampires are evil?? he says several times he's starting to think of edward as a brother. he's civil with everyone but rose, and well, can you blame him? he's pretty friendly with alice, and touched by the intentions of esme. and obviously he doesn't think they are evil, or he wouldn't have protected them from sam. he could have saved bella without saving the rest.
Well said. I don't think I can add anything more to that.

Before Breaking Dawn, I liked Jacob but still Edward more. But after this book, I thoroughly enjoyed reading his POV and now he is my favorite. I don't necessarily think that Bella should have ended up with them because I've always seen them like siblings or best friends. But I definitely wanted Jake to get his happy ending - which I'm glad he did.
cataclysm
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by cataclysm »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:
snip

snip.

I took Jacob's feelings/actions after he left bella's room to be sort of a set up for the imprinting surprise. You know- we're expecting one thing with one set of complications, and get something entirely different(with another set of complications). Also, his hatred for the 'thing' that killed bella would serve as a contrast for later. The thing that he loathed most in the world at one moment became the most important person in the world to him in the next moment. I think it's a good set up, and not entirely dissimilar to the kiss or kill impulse going on with edward when he first met bella. I just wish we'd been able to get more elaboration on jacob's feelings/perceptions post-imprinting.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i agree cataclysm. and thank you Twilight <3!

i don't think jake should have ended up with bella either. but only out of fairness. edward had basically imprinted on her, he was never going to find anyone else. jacob had a chance to find someone else, all along, so i just feel like it's probably best that she's with edward.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Bkwrm
Wandering Through Town

Post by Bkwrm »

So... just because Jacob didn't SAY, "I won't murder your husband" means it's all right for him to plot (I say plot because he wouldn't have gotten in one punch before Edward tore him to shreds) Edward's murder? Knowing he would cause pain to Bella? Knowing he would cause a war that might kill Sam and the Pack?
emmett_<3
Learning to Love Green

Post by emmett_<3 »

Bkwrm wrote:So... just because Jacob didn't SAY, "I won't murder your husband" means it's all right for him to plot (I say plot because he wouldn't have gotten in one punch before Edward tore him to shreds) Edward's murder? Knowing he would cause pain to Bella? Knowing he would cause a war that might kill Sam and the Pack?
Hahahaha. This made me laugh. Wow. Okay, nice to know people think so little of Jacob. I doubt Edward would 'tear him to threads'. Jacob's determination takes him anywhere, it would be a fair fight. AND, Jacob was so torn up inside. Can you blame him for wanting to kill Edward? He thought Edward was going to kill Bella! He almost did! (Not to mention that Twi-Ecl the conflict has been involving vampires...which is the result to Edward, so many times, Bella was about to die...because of Edward...he put her in the situations.) Besides, as soon as Jake saw Bella, things changed. Sure, he had plotted to kill Edward, but i don't think he'd do it regardless of the state Bella was in. He loved her too much. But...ugh. I'm off today. Someone take over...hoffjuh, maybe?
"The piercing, heartbroken howling grew fainter and then disappeared entirely." <3

"Could a dead, frozen heart break? It felt like mine would." -MS
Bkwrm
Wandering Through Town

Post by Bkwrm »

He was after Edward because he assumed Bella had been changed. Not because he thought she was dead. (Permanently dead?) It was the action of a spurned teen.
Liv-wa
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Liv-wa »

Well..my computer has done a very bad job of updating me on when new posts are made on her...on acount of I haven't gotten any message on my email.

I have read since where I left last night, but I am still utterly confused at what the topic is currently. Someone wanna update me really quick? It would be much appreciated [:
Click here to join. We need some more of that pureblood [;Image
emmett_<3
Learning to Love Green

Post by emmett_<3 »

Bkwrm wrote:He was after Edward because he assumed Bella had been changed. Not because he thought she was dead. (Permanently dead?) It was the action of a spurned teen.
True. But he could've thought both. The thought of her actually being dead probably crossed his mind because of what she ended up telling him at the wedding. But once he heard that she was 'sick' he figured she was a vamp. So, i'll give you that one. But, now i'm just confuesed on the point YOUR trying to make. Are you degrading Jake or just saying he was ruled by his emotions...which was true?

Liv-wa: I'd tell you, but i'm confuesed myself.
"The piercing, heartbroken howling grew fainter and then disappeared entirely." <3

"Could a dead, frozen heart break? It felt like mine would." -MS
Dirt Flavored Muffin
Settled in Forks

Post by Dirt Flavored Muffin »

I think I know what's going on. And I can honestly say Jacob is (usually 9 times out of 10) justified in his anger towards Edward. How can he not be mad about something like Bella having sex with Edward while she's human? (That's just one example because I can't think of any others currently.) But Jake only wants the best for Bella because he can't have anything more than that with her.
To love and be loved unconditionally; Isn't that everyone's dream?