Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
MoonlitRose
Wandering Through Town

Re: Jacob Black

Post by MoonlitRose »

KaseyHeartEdward wrote:i think it was the news of the Engagment set Jacob of and then the news of Bella wanting to be a vampire sent him over the edge.

I felt really bad for jake at that moment.
Knowing the person you love is going to marry your mortal enemy (not only in love, but in "species" as well) would hurt, and then the double whammy in finding out that same person means to become the same species, and in effect becoming your mortal enemy as well... Well, it would just be too much for anyone to take.

I felt really bad for Jacob at that moment, and I really wanted to cause Edward pain for doing that to him. It was really dirty. I don't think you could get any lower than that.

Don't get me wrong, I know Jake fights dirty as well, but Edward's been around a century longer than Jake has, and so is better able to handle what's dealt out to him. Edward has an unfair advantage over Jake.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Jacob has an advantage over Edward too: he is human and can give Bella a moral life with children. Edward is intensely jealous of that.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

yeah, esme echo, but that's not an edge that bella sees. edward wants that for bella, bella doesn't want that herself. and jake knows that.

i think the fact that she wanted to become a vampire set jake off. i mean, the engagement probably sucked, there's no denying that. but he was probably sort of prepared for that you know? it was nothing he didn't know - that she would spend her life with him.

but to actually want to BECOME a vampire?? different.

that was lower, IMO, than anything jake did to edward. because jake was taunting and needling yes, and very obnoxious, but what he wasn't was sneaky or low.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

On the other hand, didn't Jacob deserve to know the full story? To know exactly what Bella was hoping? Edward didn't rub it in or crow about it, he just made sure Jacob knew how committed Bella was to joining him.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

yeah, he deserved to know, but not like that. it was sneaky and it was underhanded.

think of it this way. if your child tells you something you don't necessarily want to hear, you can talk to them about it, deal with it correct??

but if you overhear it, not only do you have to hear it, but you have to know that they weren't planning on telling you.

please note that i am NOT in any way implying a parent/child relationship between any of the characters involved here, it was just an example!

TheWolfGirl
Settled in Forks

Post by TheWolfGirl »

And in the end I wind up chooosing both and wanting to hit both Edward and Jake for even putting me through that kind of confusion...and I am sainer then WolfGirl...which ain't saying much >_>;; <_<;;
I know the feeling. and you so are not saner than me! :o anyway...what do you think about jake imprinting?
Jacob Black's Not-So-Secret Stalker! =)
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Yeah, you're probably right, holdingoutforjacob. Edward probably saw an opportunity to bring the topic up and did it; probably still smarting from the previous night.
visitor1
Settled in Forks

Post by visitor1 »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:yeah, esme echo, but that's not an edge that bella sees. edward wants that for bella, bella doesn't want that herself. and jake knows that.

i think the fact that she wanted to become a vampire set jake off. i mean, the engagement probably sucked, there's no denying that. but he was probably sort of prepared for that you know? it was nothing he didn't know - that she would spend her life with him.

that was lower, IMO, than anything jake did to edward. because jake was taunting and needling yes, and very obnoxious, but what he wasn't was sneaky or low.
It's not sneaky and low to evesdrop on a private conversation?

Hmmm -- I can't remember right now, and don't have the book, but doesn't Bella bring up the subject of top 10 nights? I don't think it was Edward who brought it up, but even if it was, this was supposed to be a PRIVATE conversation. Edward has already warned Jacob that the night that Jacob has spent with Bella wouldn't make HIS top-10 nights if he had been able to take Jacob's place, but never, through that whole long night when Jacob was taunting him throughout the night with his closeness to Bella and with his fantasies, when Bella was asleep and he could have said anything at all to Jacob that he wanted to without her knowing of it, he did NOT tell Jacob that hey, you're cuddling with my fiance there, be a little careful.

But the next morning, when Edward FINALLY has a moment that is supposed to be alone with Bella -- Jacob decides to hang around a listen in. He is DELIBERATELY evesdropping on a conversation that isn't intended for him to hear, is he not? That's not sneaky? That's not low? He's had Bella all to himself throughout the run to the campsite, he's cuddled with Bella all night, he's taunted Edward in his thoughts all night, called him names, fantasized about all things Bella, and now that Edward has a moment to be alone with Bella (before a fight he's dying be in to help his family, to protect her, and he's going to stay away from only because SHE has asked him to), and she brings up a topic she wants him to talk about with him, then Jacob decides to hang around and spy on them. That's not sneaky or low? (I guess Edward could say, wait, Bella, we can't really talk now, because Jacob's sneaking around outside, evesdropping, but then THAT would be considered sneaky and low because he's telling on Jacob.)

Oh, and Jacob knows Edward will know he's still around, listening to everything, and he knows Edward has promised to fight for Bella, and Edward has already warned him that he probably doesn't want to know or hear about Edward's 10 best nights. So Jacob's been forewarned, been told to get lost, and he KNOWS this is a conversation he's not supposed to be listening to. So who's being sneaky and low here -- the guy having a private conversation with his fiance or the guy who's choosing to evesdrop? And there's quite a bit of conversation before the engagement/turning talk comes -- Edward doesn't drop it on him immediately, there was plenty of time for Jacob to decide to quit spying on them, to quit listening in on a conversation that was not meant for him and that is surely making him sick to his stomach to hear, and get the heck out of there, like he should have in the first place. He chooses to remain and to continue evesdropping (probably making insulting remarks in his mind all the while), so what's Edward supposed to do then? Lie to Bella? Having her agree to marry him WAS his happiest moment to date, the thing that meant the most to him, and he's supposed to hem and haw and come up with something different because Jacob's evesdropping? Or say, uh, by the way, Jacob, you don't want to hear this, so stop evesdropping right now and leave? Bella has agreed to marry me, and insists on being changed, but hey, she doesn't want you to know that, so go away?

If an evesdropper hears something he doesn't want to hear, that's not the fault of anyone but the evesdropper. I fail to see anything particularly sneaky or low about telling the truth to your beloved in what is clearly supposed to be and intended to be a private conversation. (And talk about sneaky and low -- then Jacob turns the fact that he was spying on someone, evesdropping on a private conversation, into an opportunity to emotionally manipulate Bella into kissing him. Yeah, nothing sneaky or low about that.)
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

As far as I'm concerned Jacob Black was too cool for words in Breaking Dawn. I loved his POV in Book 2, he is one smart guy. At 17, he really does see things in the light in which they are - better than some adults.

He turns out to be a great Pack leader. I loved it when Quil & Embry join his pack - that's true friendship.

It will be great to see if SM explores Jacob's and Renesmee's relationship in later projects (if she does).
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

visitor1 wrote:
holdingoutforjacob wrote:yeah, esme echo, but that's not an edge that bella sees. edward wants that for bella, bella doesn't want that herself. and jake knows that.

It's not sneaky and low to evesdrop on a private conversation?

Hmmm -- I can't remember right now, and don't have the book, but doesn't Bella bring up the subject of top 10 nights? I don't think it was Edward who brought it up, but even if it was, this was supposed to be a PRIVATE conversation. Edward has already warned Jacob that the night that Jacob has spent with Bella wouldn't make HIS top-10 nights if he had been able to take Jacob's place, but never, through that whole long night when Jacob was taunting him throughout the night with his closeness to Bella and with his fantasies, when Bella was asleep and he could have said anything at all to Jacob that he wanted to without her knowing of it, he did NOT tell Jacob that hey, you're cuddling with my fiance there, be a little careful.

But the next morning, when Edward FINALLY has a moment that is supposed to be alone with Bella -- Jacob decides to hang around a listen in. He is DELIBERATELY evesdropping on a conversation that isn't intended for him to hear, is he not? That's not sneaky? That's not low? He's had Bella all to himself throughout the run to the campsite, he's cuddled with Bella all night, he's taunted Edward in his thoughts all night, called him names, fantasized about all things Bella, and now that Edward has a moment to be alone with Bella (before a fight he's dying be in to help his family, to protect her, and he's going to stay away from only because SHE has asked him to), and she brings up a topic she wants him to talk about with him, then Jacob decides to hang around and spy on them. That's not sneaky or low? (I guess Edward could say, wait, Bella, we can't really talk now, because Jacob's sneaking around outside, evesdropping, but then THAT would be considered sneaky and low because he's telling on Jacob.)

Oh, and Jacob knows Edward will know he's still around, listening to everything, and he knows Edward has promised to fight for Bella, and Edward has already warned him that he probably doesn't want to know or hear about Edward's 10 best nights. So Jacob's been forewarned, been told to get lost, and he KNOWS this is a conversation he's not supposed to be listening to. So who's being sneaky and low here -- the guy having a private conversation with his fiance or the guy who's choosing to evesdrop? And there's quite a bit of conversation before the engagement/turning talk comes -- Edward doesn't drop it on him immediately, there was plenty of time for Jacob to decide to quit spying on them, to quit listening in on a conversation that was not meant for him and that is surely making him sick to his stomach to hear, and get the heck out of there, like he should have in the first place. He chooses to remain and to continue evesdropping (probably making insulting remarks in his mind all the while), so what's Edward supposed to do then? Lie to Bella? Having her agree to marry him WAS his happiest moment to date, the thing that meant the most to him, and he's supposed to hem and haw and come up with something different because Jacob's evesdropping? Or say, uh, by the way, Jacob, you don't want to hear this, so stop evesdropping right now and leave? Bella has agreed to marry me, and insists on being changed, but hey, she doesn't want you to know that, so go away?

If an evesdropper hears something he doesn't want to hear, that's not the fault of anyone but the evesdropper. I fail to see anything particularly sneaky or low about telling the truth to your beloved in what is clearly supposed to be and intended to be a private conversation. (And talk about sneaky and low -- then Jacob turns the fact that he was spying on someone, evesdropping on a private conversation, into an opportunity to emotionally manipulate Bella into kissing him. Yeah, nothing sneaky or low about that.)
i don't really expect you to understand, because you're obviously very anti-jacob. but edward KNEW jake was listening, and jake knew edward would know. besides jacob left the tent because edward attacked him for no reason.