Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Re: Jasper Hale

Post by Openhome »

*note to my last post*
I wrote that as I was speedily checking the Lex and forgot to mention who "they" were. I meant Jasper and Alice.

However, the twisted relationship between Maria and Jasper is a lot of fun to think about as well. I've met people with similar relationships--you know the ones that you sit back and watch explode.

And as to why he didn't leave, I think he mentions it in Eclipse. He was a soldier surrounded by hostile armies. As long as he stayed with Maria, he had plenty of food, which, to a vampire, is better than sex or anything else. If he believed that armies of vampires controlled the rest of the world, staying where he had food, companionship, and safety made sense.
JustcallmeRiley
Settled in Forks

Post by JustcallmeRiley »

Okay, so I'm getting off topic here, but how do you think Jasper feels about the battle scars? I mean Bella says they're his most dominant feature (breaking dawn pg.402.) Do you think it bothers him that the first thing other vampires notice about him are the scars (since its the first thing Bella noticed?)
http://www.fanfiction.net/~justcallmeriley
After a century of instant gratification, I found self-discipline… challenging.-Jasper Whitlock Hale
Follow the sound of my voice and don’t open your eyes. You look, you lose, got it?-Jasper Whitlock Hale
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I don't think they bothered him at all. :)

I always chuckle when I read that Jasper was deliberately giving J. Jenks ulcers because he felt some relationships worked better based in fear.

I interpret Jasper as a powerful, skilled warrior, comfortable in his own skin, and satisfied that his very appearance tells other vampires, "Don't mess with me!"
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

JustcallmeRiley, you're not getting off topic with any question about Jasper.

I would agree with Esme echo. It would be understandable if he associated his scars and fighting with his prior life of emotional trauma, but he doesn't show any problem with that, he enjoys fighting. His scars don't hamper him in the least and the only opinion (I think) he would care about in that matter would be Alice. She would probably tell you the scars are a turn-on.

His scars are a signal only to other vampires, humans typically can't see them unless they really look, which doesn't happen often. It's perfect, really. Since virtually all other vampires are red-eyes, the scars represent a powerful warning not to mess with the veggie clan.

I think the only time the scars back-fired was with James' coven, but then he was a danger-freak.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
JustcallmeRiley
Settled in Forks

Post by JustcallmeRiley »

I've always imagined him to kind of not like the scars, but then again I like angst so I'm probably biased.
What do you think Jasper's relationship with Nettie and Lucy was like? I think they didn't really like him, they were planning on killing Jasper (and Maria).
If Maria and Jasper met again right now, what do you think the encounter would be like?
http://www.fanfiction.net/~justcallmeriley
After a century of instant gratification, I found self-discipline… challenging.-Jasper Whitlock Hale
Follow the sound of my voice and don’t open your eyes. You look, you lose, got it?-Jasper Whitlock Hale
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

I can see Jasper regarding his scars with wry acceptance; they are what they are, a symbol of his former life, but not terribly important in his present life.

I don't think Nettie nor Lucy either one were of much importance to Jasper besides being partners of Maria's. I'm not looking it up, but it seems to me that more than once Stephenie mentioned that living the traditional vampire lifestyle stunted a vampire's ability to form lasting or close bonds except with mates. Nettie and Lucy didn't like or dislike Jasper when he was human -- the were just thirsty! They didn't have it in for him once he was changed -- until they plotted to overthrow Maria.

If Jasper met Maria again (after the disastrous last time), I'm sure he would be very careful, very protective of Alice, and anxious to break off the contact as soon as possible. What do you think?
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."