Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Re: Jasper Hale

Post by ringswraith »

Interesting questions. :)

1. Easiest: My gut reaction would be Carlisle. He's well-read, been around for a while, could possibly have a common ground with Jasper in history (as in, their interest in it). Esme is also a possibility, depending on whether or not you think he'd appreciate the motherly nature she exudes.

Hardest, I will say Emmett. Purely because Emmett's normally jolly demeanor would go against Jasper's very being- why is this guy having an easier time than he is (at abstaining) and being all happy all the time? :)

2. I imagine he would have attempted to start the moment they joined the Cullens. As to whether he's been able to successfully stay on the wagon since then, that's debatable. Though with both Alice and Edward around, I'm fairly certain the chances of a slip-up are rather slim.

3. Probably amazement, at first, seeing her integrate so well with them. Perhaps a bit of jealousy, partly because she's able to fit in and he doesn't quite get there, and partly for seeing her establish other relationships (with Edward most likely)- until he understands it's not romantic, at least.
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

ringswraith wrote:Interesting questions. :)

1. Easiest: My gut reaction would be Carlisle. He's well-read, been around for a while, could possibly have a common ground with Jasper in history (as in, their interest in it). Esme is also a possibility, depending on whether or not you think he'd appreciate the motherly nature she exudes.

Hardest, I will say Emmett. Purely because Emmett's normally jolly demeanor would go against Jasper's very being- why is this guy having an easier time than he is (at abstaining) and being all happy all the time? :)

2. I imagine he would have attempted to start the moment they joined the Cullens. As to whether he's been able to successfully stay on the wagon since then, that's debatable. Though with both Alice and Edward around, I'm fairly certain the chances of a slip-up are rather slim.

3. Probably amazement, at first, seeing her integrate so well with them. Perhaps a bit of jealousy, partly because she's able to fit in and he doesn't quite get there, and partly for seeing her establish other relationships (with Edward most likely)- until he understands it's not romantic, at least.
I agree with that, <3 I think thats what happens
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

A question occurred to me, that I can't find discussed anywhere in this thread (although it may have come up in another one somewhere). Why do people think Jasper voted in favor of changing Bella at the end of New Moon? Everyone else, yeas and nays both, either gives a reason, or has one that's pretty easy to understand. But Jasper just says "yes," and Bella herself is surprised.

In the movie, Jasper gets a line about "it would be nice not to want to kill you anymore" or something like that, but that's pure Screenwriter Speculation. I think the reason is something else: Jasper wants to keep Alice safe. Alice, after all, was the one who actually made the promise to Aro that Bella would be changed. Even if Edward's scheme to hide Bella worked, the Volturi could still come after Alice, and for Jasper that would be intolerable.

[next paragraph hidden out of courtesy to Midnight Sun Virgins]

In Midnight Sun, after Edward saves Bella from the van, the Cullens discuss how to deal with the possibility of exposure if Bella tells anyone what she saw. Jasper is ready to kill Bella to ensure she won't say anything, because, in his words, "I won't let Alice live in danger." He backs down only when Alice tells him she's seen that she and Bella will be friends. I think he took the same attitude when the voting time came, only then, keeping Alice safe meant changing Bella, not killing her.

So what does everyone else think?
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

I think you are partially right. In Twilight/MS Jazz's decision is made without the benefit of Alice's explanation of her feelings for Bella, nor the intervening months of friendship between them, nor her sadness and loss during the time Edward forced them apart. So, his initial vote is based purely on protective instincts. The second and more important vote is based on how he knows Alice will feel, and what will make her happy.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

I think that he voted for Bella to change because he actually likes her, you know, because Alice likes her and she kept Alice sort of safe. But i think he was joking about the killing :D
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Killing is not something Jasper would ever joke about, in my opinion.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I have to agree with that. The line was a little off in the movie (no surprise there). I think Jasper, however, sees Bella's change as the only way to ensure happiness and safety for his family and his wife. I truly think he will do almost anything to protect them (especially Alice, I'm quite sure that the whole Volturi incident changed quite a few things for him -- at least that's the way I'm writing it). I have no doubt that Jasper understands what Edward did not, that Bella cannot live without being his mate. I'm pretty sure he's tired of all the Eddie-angst anyway and is wanting a resolution to the whole situation.
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Openhome wrote:I have to agree with that. The line was a little off in the movie (no surprise there). I think Jasper, however, sees Bella's change as the only way to ensure happiness and safety for his family and his wife. I truly think he will do almost anything to protect them (especially Alice, I'm quite sure that the whole Volturi incident changed quite a few things for him -- at least that's the way I'm writing it). I have no doubt that Jasper understands what Edward did not, that Bella cannot live without being his mate. I'm pretty sure he's tired of all the Eddie-angst anyway and is wanting a resolution to the whole situation.
Yeah, I forgot that it must be hell to live with Angst!Edward when your Jasper-- I mean he must have been feeling so moody! Hopefully, in Eclipse there will be more true to Jasper's character lines, especially in the flashback and teaching in the clearing, when hes doing something that he is really good at, I bet it makes him feel more of the family and more helpful to make some use of his past life- even though it was something that he couldnt help.
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Post by Jazzy »

Esme echo wrote: I'm also interested in your thoughts concerning why Jasper seemed "more central to the family picture than usual" (BD p. 749) at the end of Breaking Dawn. Bella had been a vampire for about three months, I think, then she noticed a change in Jasper after the battle with the Volturi didn't happen. Why do you suppose Jasper was suddenly more central to the family?

Hm...this made me think a bit...I think it's cos after all the stress and fear from the impending Volturi attack was over, Jasper was able to really relax and start enjoying time with his family again. His initial angst about Bella being able to handle the bloodlust so well would have levelled off by then. There are no more problems, they know Renesmee will grow up fast but will be ageless as well as them, so no worries there. Everyone is happy and content so he can truly feel those happy feelings as well with them.
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I also think that perhaps Jasper had finally been able to see himself as one of the heros in the end. Yes, Alice was the lead, but he had been willing to die for his family, to return to almost certain death, and had, in his mind, earned his place at last.