Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Jasper Hale

Post by eclipserox »

Jazz Girl wrote:
eclipserox wrote:
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:Hello all I'm gonna post a question because..you know what Jasper deserves one! :lol:

What kind of life do you think Jasper would've led if he never became a vampire?
Similar to his vampire life, actually. As a human, he was a soldier in the Civil War. As a vampire, he fought in the South. Eventually, he grew tired of fighting all the time. It wouldn't have effected him as profoundly if he were not a vampire able to feel others' emotions, but, as a human fighting, he would have grown tired of it, too, and wanted a more peaceful lifestyle. He was always, as a human and as a vampire, a polite Southern gentlemen. I think he would have found a wife and have a very deep, romantic relationship with her. His personality and interests didn't change when he changed; they just became more profound.
EclipseRox, I couldn't agree more. I would only add that this would really be my hope for Jasper. It sounds odd to say, given his violent history, but Jazz is such a gentle soul that he deserves a little peace and love in his life. I think it would just be really hard to picture Jazz without Alice. SM has said so many times that they truly are two parts of one soul that I wonder if he could be truly happy without her?
Yeah, I agree. Although I can't picture Jasper without Alice, I guess he wouldn't know what he was missing if he never experienced that deep connection that only vampires seem to have. I think he could find a nice wife, who would probably be somewhat similar to Alice, and be happy with her. But, he couldn't have that deep of a connection with anyone other than Alice. Or, who knows, maybe it would have been Edward and Bella all over again, with a female vampire (Alice) falling for a human male (Jasper) and eventually changing him. That would actually be a pretty good story. I can imagine Alice trying to keep a human Jasper safe, and Jasper, being the chivalrous soldier, wanting to become a vampire so he could take care of Alice.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

eclipserox wrote:
Jazz Girl wrote:
eclipserox wrote:
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:Hello all I'm gonna post a question because..you know what Jasper deserves one! :lol:

What kind of life do you think Jasper would've led if he never became a vampire?
Similar to his vampire life, actually. As a human, he was a soldier in the Civil War. As a vampire, he fought in the South. Eventually, he grew tired of fighting all the time. It wouldn't have effected him as profoundly if he were not a vampire able to feel others' emotions, but, as a human fighting, he would have grown tired of it, too, and wanted a more peaceful lifestyle. He was always, as a human and as a vampire, a polite Southern gentlemen. I think he would have found a wife and have a very deep, romantic relationship with her. His personality and interests didn't change when he changed; they just became more profound.
EclipseRox, I couldn't agree more. I would only add that this would really be my hope for Jasper. It sounds odd to say, given his violent history, but Jazz is such a gentle soul that he deserves a little peace and love in his life. I think it would just be really hard to picture Jazz without Alice. SM has said so many times that they truly are two parts of one soul that I wonder if he could be truly happy without her?
Yeah, I agree. Although I can't picture Jasper without Alice, I guess he wouldn't know what he was missing if he never experienced that deep connection that only vampires seem to have. I think he could find a nice wife, who would probably be somewhat similar to Alice, and be happy with her. But, he couldn't have that deep of a connection with anyone other than Alice. Or, who knows, maybe it would have been Edward and Bella all over again, with a female vampire (Alice) falling for a human male (Jasper) and eventually changing him. That would actually be a pretty good story. I can imagine Alice trying to keep a human Jasper safe, and Jasper, being the chivalrous soldier, wanting to become a vampire so he could take care of Alice.
Wow!! That is such an amazing thought, EclipseRox. The pragmatist in me knows the timeline doesn't work out, looking at when Jasper and Alice would have been born and lived. But, the mystic romantic in me so desperately would want it to. You almost know that Jasper's transformation would come because he was hurt trying to protect Alice in some way, something she didn't see coming. Wow!!
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

Hello fellow Jasper lovers, :D I just finished a short story with Jasper's POV and if you want to read it just PM me.
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 wrote:Hello fellow Jasper lovers, :D I just finished a short story with Jasper's POV and if you want to read it just PM me.
And, I would like to give Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 high recommendation. Her version of Jasper's head is a very interesting place to be. Well Done!!!
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
readmymind
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by readmymind »

boomergrant wrote:I am truly intrigue with Jasper.
How does someone deal with all the emotions flowing around them?
It's like reading someone's mind, but not knowing the thoughts behind the feelings.

Yeah. I thought about that. It's probably a good thing he doesn't know me. I mean, I adore Jasper, but I usually feel at least 10 different things at once.
Midnight Sun: She was dreaming of me. And it wasn't even a nightmare. She wanted me stay with her, there in the dream.--Edward Cullen
readmymind
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by readmymind »

Auctorita wrote:Jasper is pretty awesome. I felt so sorry for him i Breaking Dawn when him and Alice return and everyone is like "Alice!". They completely ignore Jasper. Was it just me or did he suddenly become such a minor character in BD after Bella notices all his scars?
I never really thought about that, but you know, you're right. I love Alice, but poor Jasper. Though he doesn't seem like someone who'd like the attention that much.
Midnight Sun: She was dreaming of me. And it wasn't even a nightmare. She wanted me stay with her, there in the dream.--Edward Cullen
eclipserox

Post by eclipserox »

I'm not saying it was right to ignore Jasper, but, to be fair, Jasper was not as attached to the family as Alice was. Bella said she got the feeling that Jasper mainly stayed with the Cullens because of Alice and SM confirmed this in the personal correspondence. Alice was very attached to the Cullens, and Jasper liked them but could take family life or leave it. So, it stands to reason that Alice had deeper connections to everyone, it was harder for everyone including Alice that Alice left, and that is why they paid more attention to her when they returned in BD. I view it like Alice is actually a biological family member and Jasper is the son-in-law/brother-in-law who they like but just don't have as deep a connection with. Obviously that's not true since none of them are biologically related, but hopefully you get the point.

I also agree that Jasper doesn't seem like the type to like a lot of attention. He is quiet. He seems a little shy. Maybe everyone knew he would hate it if they gushed over him.
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Post by Jazzy »

I agree with what everyone's said. It was kind of sad that Jasper's return was overshadowed by everyone rejoicing about Alice's return. But at that time everyone was also feeling tremendous relief and disbelief that they just won the mental battle against the Volturi. I'd like to think that after the initial rush, the whole Cullen family embraced both Alice AND Jasper and rejoiced THEIR return. In the next scene, it showed Jasper being sandwiched between Esme and Alice. Esme would have been showering Jasper with attention and hugs and kisses for sure, she loves all of her kids equally.

One thing I'd like to point out is that aside from all of Jasper's wonderful traits, he is also very considerate of Bella. In BD when Bella first meets Renesmee, Jasper was extra cautious and made sure he was in the forefront so Bella does not accidentally hurt Renesmee cos he knows how devastated Bella would be if she hurt her own daughter.

Which makes me think. I wonder what was the relationship like between Renesmee and her Uncle Jasper. Renesmee had won over the whole family. Alice and Rosalie turned her into a fashion show everyday, putting her in pretty dresses and taking pics of her. I wonder if Renesmee won Jasper over right away? Made him smile and relax more? I wonder what pictures she would put in his head?
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank
eclipserox

Post by eclipserox »

I agree, he is very considerate of Bella. I thought he was particularly considerate of her in Twilight when he and Alice took her to AZ. He was very sweet and tried to comfort her without making her uncomfortable even though we know it was harder for him to be around humans and he was not yet used to Bella. He was also very nice to Bella when he and Emmet went to her house to get Edward for his bachelor party in BD. I think he is just a considerate person in general, regardless of who he is with. When he was changed into a vampire, it is because he went out of his way to try to help Maria and her sisters.

For no logical reason at all, it kind of annoyed me when Jasper was protecting Renesmee and everyone else form newly changed Bella. I love Jasper and he never annoys me. And, I understand that most newborns are out of control and dangerous, so Jasper was just trying to be helpful and keep everyone safe. But, it did kind of bug me that he was protecting Renesmee from her own mother.

I got the impression that Renesmee did win everyone over right away. As soon as they held her, they were completely charmed. And, Renesmee seemed very happy so she was probably easy for Jasper to be around--all positive emotions, no negative emotions. But, another weird feeling I got was that Alice and Jasper weren't as close to Renesmee as the other Cullens. I think I'm the only one who got that feeling, so I'm probably way off base. I guess I thought something was up during Jacob's book. Normally Alice was Bella's best friend and trusted confidante. I thought it was weird that Rose was Bella's bodyguard and Alice was somewhat MIA. I mean, she was still in the house of course, but we didn't see her interacting with Bella much. Normally I would expect Alice to be right there talking to Bella, doing Bella's hair and makeup so Bella looked good even though she felt awful. Alice said being around Bella was giving her headaches because of Renesmee, so maybe that's the problem. Part of me wonders if Alice agreed with Edward that they should just abort the baby. Then, Alice and Jasper took off shortly after Renesmee was born (yes, I know it was in order to save everyone and I'm not criticizing), but as a result they didn't get to spend as much time with Renesmee. So anyway I guess I imagine Renesmee as closer to the other family members than Jasper and Alice, but they still loved her and were charmed by her and Renesmee loved everyone in the family.
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

eclipserox wrote:I also agree that Jasper doesn't seem like the type to like a lot of attention. He is quiet. He seems a little shy. Maybe everyone knew he would hate it if they gushed over him.
I think this idea is central to understanding the family's reaction to Alice & Jasper's return. I have posted on a few other threads my thoughts about Jasper's place within the Cullen family, and the family members abilities to relate to each other. Carlisle and Esme particularly are, in my mind, truly gifted "parents". They relate to each of their children in ways that make them most comfortable. And, I see the siblings kind of following their lead. Plus, Edward and Alice would be able to know, to understand, what kind of reaciton was going to make that person most comfortable. I think Jasper is just as central a figure in the family as Edward or Alice or Rose or Em. He just has his own way of fitting in. Just like Bella, he is much less comfortable in the spotlight, as the center of attention. So, the family would have welcomed him home quietly, after all of the celebration of the victory was over.

Alice, on the other had, loves to be the center of attention. She loves to feel the love of her family. So, she would prefer the excitement of that kind of welcome, would expect it after better than 50 years. That's one of the reasons I think Alice and Jasper are so complimentary. The truly do complete one another, balance each other out. Alice's over the top nature is balanced by Jasper's reserved nature.

I know that in the PC, SM has told us that he isn't as bonded to the family as the others. I wouldn't contradict that at all. But, I don't think that means he isn't bonded with them period. I guess I always just read that as, in the end, he would always choose Alice over the family, if the decision had to be made. There is someone with whom he is bonded much more strongly. BD is a perfect example. I am sure a big part of Jasper really wanted to stay with the family, help Edward prepare for the battle, help Bella make arrangements to protect Ness. But, Alice needed him so there was never a question as to what he would do. I really do believe that Jasper, in his own way, loves and values the family he has become a part of.

Jazzy wrote:Which makes me think. I wonder what was the relationship like between Renesmee and her Uncle Jasper. Renesmee had won over the whole family. Alice and Rosalie turned her into a fashion show everyday, putting her in pretty dresses and taking pics of her. I wonder if Renesmee won Jasper over right away? Made him smile and relax more? I wonder what pictures she would put in his head?
I want to think that Jasper doted on his niece. You are absolutely right that she would be such a source of positive emotion for him. And, I think, in return, Jazz might just let his hair down just a little with her. The only piece of the puzzle that causes me any doubt is Ness' human side. She has a heartbeat and blood. I wonder if he was tempted by her at all. Yes, Jazz is right there when they introduce Ness to Bella. I think his experience at dealing with newborns would make him the most useful member of the family here. Edward will gladly put himself between his wife and daughter if the need arises, but Jazz is just more prepared to be as forceful with Bella as need dictates. In the end, I don't think Jazz would be tempted by Ness. It seems that none of the others react to her either. So, I believe that the same reason that Bella explains to us that she isn't tempted by her daughter is the same reason Jasper has no problem being near her either. Her vampire side balances out any temptation by the human side. So, I think that there actually might be a bit of an ulterior motive for Jazz to hang around Ness. I think being around her might help him build up a tolerance, reinforce his self control. Just like he enjoys being around Bella in BD because she is just so content, he would enjoy being with his niece because she is so happy, and it makes him feel just a bit stronger in his self control. It's a strange aspect to their relationship, I admit.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty