Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
twilight813
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Edward Cullen #2

Post by twilight813 »

i have a question and i don't know if i should post it here or what. but in eclipse before Edward proposes to Bella in his room, she tries on the ring. She says that he put it on her third finger.. now is that the third finger from the thumb which would make the ring on her middle or the third finger from her pointer finger. i know this sounds weird but i wasn't too sure when i read it. then i was thinking about if Mormons put their engagement rings on their third finger from the thumb. i know in some other cultures and religions they put it on their right hand so i wasn't entirely too sure. can anyone answer my weird question lol ??
Avi by Shel
Sisterhood of the Traveling Book
GM of Wingtears Non Veggie Vamp Cafe Member of Wingtears High Council
Gen Y Thread is <3
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Mormons put their engagement/wedding rings on the same finger as other Christians do; there's a reason it's called the "ring finger": you know, the one next to the little finger or pinkie? Bella put the ring on the same finger as most people do.

Lioness Rampant made a post in the Renesmee thread that prompted this train of thought: Edward can hear Renesmee's thoughts (which would have been really convenient if she was ever an infant--which she basically wasn't). He said in the beginning of Midnight Sun that he tried to block the mind voices of his family out of courtesy, out of respect for their privacy. BUT would that courtesy extend to his daughter? I think morally it ought to, but I doubt the parent of any teenager/young adult would have less than a monumental struggle, would have the integrity, to ignore the mental voice of their child if they could only hear it! :P It's every parent's fondest wish!!!
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

lol. Sometimes, truthfully, I feel embarrassed when I read any of the Twilight books, because a lot of the lines are just SO cheesy! I love fluff, but I'm not one for sap. Even when I watch romances, I become so awkwardly embarrassed when they start saying really sappy stuff, because it's just not the kind of thing I like.

Especially Edward's metaphor: "Without you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night."
Eeeek.
twilight813 wrote:i have a question and i don't know if i should post it here or what. but in eclipse before Edward proposes to Bella in his room, she tries on the ring. She says that he put it on her third finger.. now is that the third finger from the thumb which would make the ring on her middle or the third finger from her pointer finger.
Haha, the thumb is not really a finger, but a digit. So people usually skip over it when talking. It confuses me sometimes as well. :)

ETA: To Esme_Echo's post:
I think... Edward's just not the type of man to break into anyone's thoughts, whether it's his family, a random human, or his own daughter. Bella would probably keep asking him, though.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
EdwardNJessi
Learning to Love Green

Post by EdwardNJessi »

Amivera wrote:lol. Sometimes, truthfully, I feel embarrassed when I read any of the Twilight books, because a lot of the lines are just SO cheesy! I love fluff, but I'm not one for sap. Even when I watch romances, I become so awkwardly embarrassed when they start saying really sappy stuff, because it's just not the kind of thing I like.

Especially Edward's metaphor: "Without you, Bella, my life was like a moonless night."
Eeeek.

Oh my gosh. I know exactly what you are saying Amiverva. Some of the dialogue can lay it on really thick, but part of my relishes in that. I think some of the one-liners and dialogue from Edward just make him even more exciting and "supernatural"...does that make sense? No normal dude that we are used to would say any of those things...but Edward...he's otherwordly, and it only makes sense that he be incredibly romantic. He's been alive for so long that he probably lives with experiences about love that no human could understand. :)
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

haha, thanks kaseyheartsedward

I LOVE the 'without you bella, my life was like a moonless night" -- i have it memorized. :oops:

haha, Esme Echo - are you telling me, my parents wish they could get in my head? *shudder* espically not my dad. i wouldn't want that.
I think edward would give her the privacy she needs,
someone mentioned bella would be asking edward about her thoughts - haha, that's just so like bella.
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Amivera, Edward wouldn't have "break into" Renesmee's thoughts, they would be shouting at him! He would have to expend quite a bit of control not to listen. I compare that to not listening to the people talking in normal voices at the table next to yours in a restaurant. It's hard not to eavesdrop. It would be so much harder for Edward to ignore Renesmee's thoughts, in my opinion!

malaz, yes, your parents would love to hear your thoughts! (So would I, sometimes! :lol: )

I only just got around to reading this thread from the beginning, and it occurred to me as you all were discussing Edward's medical degrees that Edward is a criminal! He totally could have--without guilt--hacked into the computers and faked classes passed, etc. to get a degree. As far as skipping the blood typing lab in Forks HS, I wonder if it was just an excuse to get out of a boring class. If he could resist killing Bella, I'd bet he could make himself stop breathing and not freak in blood typing. BUT WAIT! I just thought. What would he do? NO BLOOD. Might be a bit awkward!
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

I just had a thought about the blood typing class. Maybe he could have dealt with the small amount of blood from the others, but he didn't want to test himself around Bella's exposed blood.

Edit: Oh wait...another thought. He couldn't have participated because he doesn't have blood so skipping class was easier than making an excuse to get out of it.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

^Haha, yeah. And he'd need something incredibly strong to prick himself. XD

Esme_Echo, I think after years, Edward has perfected his control of mind-reading. While at first all the minds might have assaulted him, while he's in the cafeteria, it's not as though the minds are poking at his head, but they're like background noise and he can focus in on the ones he wants to hear.

It's just like if we're sitting in a cafeteria (or a foodcourt, classroom, or restaurant), we're not listening to everyone— all the voices blend into a buzz of noise. It's when you turn and focus on the conversation of the couple beside you that you're really listening to them.

That's why I think it's not like Renesmee's mind is always in his head. He'd be 'breaking into' her thoughts by eavesdropping on them in a way. Yes, all the voices are in his head as if a number of people are talking, but he's not necessarily listening.

Just wanted to explain what the 'breaking into' thing meant. :)
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

Esme echo wrote: malaz, yes, your parents would love to hear your thoughts! (So would I, sometimes! :lol: )

I only just got around to reading this thread from the beginning, and it occurred to me as you all were discussing Edward's medical degrees that Edward is a criminal! He totally could have--without guilt--hacked into the computers and faked classes passed, etc. to get a degree. As far as skipping the blood typing lab in Forks HS, I wonder if it was just an excuse to get out of a boring class. If he could resist killing Bella, I'd bet he could make himself stop breathing and not freak in blood typing. BUT WAIT! I just thought. What would he do? NO BLOOD. Might be a bit awkward!
haha, no no way.
wait, you want to hear my thoughts? haha they're not THAT interesting. they mostly consist of edward/twilight and how much i hate math and how gym class is torture. the usual. or, you want to hear your kids? :lol:

that would be interesting. he tries to cut his finger but it won't get cut...uh-oh. the school would get suspicious. :D
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

That's a good point, Amivera, but I'm thinking of Edward's comment at the beginning of Midnight Sun. He said he blocked the thoughts of his family out of courtesy rather than distaste, though "Try as I may, still ... I knew."

Edward is an honorable guy (well, except for when he lies, steals, or engages in criminal activity! :lol: ), so I think he'd really try to do the right thing; I'm just saying--as a parent--the temptation to peek into Renesmee's mind would be really hard to resist!

I just had another thought ... in BD, Dracula One and Dracula Two watched Edward answering unspoken questions. Jacob wanted a blanket for Bella and Edward reached for it. That sort of thing happened all the time. So, though he's skilled, I think a lot of the background noise bleeds through, despite Edward's experience. And he would know Renesmee's mind really well, which would make hearing her that much simpler--and that much more difficult to ignore.

I wonder if since meeting Bella and becoming (in ways) more human himself, Edward saw a difference in how well or how frequently he heard humans. Was it more difficult to ignore the mental babble when he was more human himself?