Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Edward Cullen #2

Post by Amivera »

I read an article/essay and another article (satire) that compared Edward to Joseph Smith (Book of Mormon):
These quotes are from the humorous article. They are not my opinions (I really don't know much about Mormonism) and I hope anything that was misinterpreted by the article's author will not offend:
She was drawing from everything we Mormons were taught about Good Ol' Joe - he was handsome, shockingly so, he could draw you in with just his presence, let alone when he spoke, down to his... nose and hair color.
Edward is pure white (and delightsome. See: Book of Mormon's drumbeat that... righteous people are white, or will be perfected in Heaven and made white.

^There was a link that went along with this one, but it wasn't particularly... appealing.
Edward also doesn't believe in open mouth kissing, swearing, chewing tobacco, drinking caffeine, and enjoys time with his family. He is the perfect Mormon boy.
http://pics.livejournal.com/stoney321/pic/000r2dpf.gif
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

Amivera wrote:I read an article/essay and another article (satire) that compared Edward to Joseph Smith (Book of Mormon):
These quotes are from the humorous article. They are not my opinions (I really don't know much about Mormonism) and I hope anything that was misinterpreted by the article's author will not offend:
She was drawing from everything we Mormons were taught about Good Ol' Joe - he was handsome, shockingly so, he could draw you in with just his presence, let alone when he spoke, down to his... nose and hair color.
Edward is pure white (and delightsome. See: Book of Mormon's drumbeat that... righteous people are white, or will be perfected in Heaven and made white.

^There was a link that went along with this one, but it wasn't particularly... appealing.
Edward also doesn't believe in open mouth kissing, swearing, chewing tobacco, drinking caffeine, and enjoys time with his family. He is the perfect Mormon boy.
http://pics.livejournal.com/stoney321/pic/000r2dpf.gif
Amivera, I am a Mormon, and I really don't get why you posted this. It's not funny, and it's inaccurate. The Saga is not about Ms. Meyer's religion ... I really am mystified.

However, if you want to know something about Mormons, I'll answer (or try to answer :) ) any question you care to ask. PM me.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."
pubesy
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by pubesy »

Amivera, not cool.
just for future reference: unless you have good understanding of the religion, don't bash it.

Esme, the post to made explaining Edward's actions was well said, and brilliantly argued. It was what i was trying to explain the whole time.

there is a difference between control and abuse too. A mother can gain control of her children - but that does not mean she abuses them.

and I too, noticed the strength bella showed in standing up to edward, regarding his refusal to let her visit Jacob. It proves she is not a flimsy weak character, and she DOES hold her own in the relationship. but that is for another thread...
Team Switzerland - Thanks for the sig Alysha
adultes lexiconum recipientes nuntiis singulis
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

I am quite mystified as well as to why Amivera posted that. Pubesy, i don't think Amivera was bashing it since the points are not hers and she said she doesn't agree with them but i am confused nonetheless.

I agree with Esme Echo. Stephenie meyer doesn't bring her religion into the books, neither does she paints it through her characters, then all the characters would be the same. i like that she doesn't.
Jazziscool

Post by Jazziscool »

Yeah,I think she did. Very subtley though, it's hard to notice.
I don't remeber what site it was, but I read that SM was a Mormon, and because of this she had Edward forfill his part of the agreement AFTER they got married.

Trainee of the EDC, Inc.
Supervisor of the DBJ:Donating Blood to Jasper & Co.
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

Ah!
They are not my opinions (I really don't know much about Mormonism) and I hope anything that was misinterpreted by the article's author will not offend:
Please, have a sense of humor, ladies. I did say many times that I did not mean to offend and that the article was written both of validity and out of lighthearted jest, and they were not my words.

For future reference, Ms. Meyer brings up her religion often, attributing many themes from Twilight to the Book of Mormon, so please...

Also, she says her biggest writing inspiration is the Book of Mormon.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
Jazziscool

Post by Jazziscool »

Amivera wrote:Ah!
They are not my opinions (I really don't know much about Mormonism) and I hope anything that was misinterpreted by the article's author will not offend:
Please, have a sense of humor, ladies. I did say many times that I did not mean to offend and that the article was written both of validity and out of lighthearted jest, and they were not my words.

For future reference, Ms. Meyer brings up her religion often, attributing many themes from Twilight to the Book of Mormon, so please...

Also, she says her biggest writing inspiration is the Book of Mormon.

Mm-hmm. She did bring it up many times.

Trainee of the EDC, Inc.
Jazziscool

Post by Jazziscool »

Kachiti wrote:
KaseyHeartEdward wrote:

Okay now people are saying that edward should have been more open and talked to her in eclipse. This is true i believe. But i think we need to remember that Edward is a guy and they have a hard time sharing their feelings. Even edward has this problem. He was probably scared how Bella might react or he just didn't know how to truly express himself. So when it came to fooling aroungd the truck well i guess this was the only way he knew at the time. Does this make it right? No but it might give us a reason to why he acted this way.

Now i found this part hilarious in the book! And i still do. I really don't see it as meaning to be abusive.
I was slightly angry but also wished that Bella had a backbone and had kept the window closed.

To go a little off topic, has anyone read the outtake version of the prom remix on SM website ? I think I like it better then what's in the book. Just when I think Edward couldn't get any better.

Yes, I have. I thought it was good, except when Bella says he's even better in cooking than her. I thought that was unrealistic, rather than in BD, when she just said he was EXCELLENT, but did not comment on her ability to cook compared to his is down the drain.

Trainee of the EDC, Inc.
twilight813
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by twilight813 »

Wow i really dont know what to say in this topic anymore. I think this is out of control. Now religion is playing a part in this which is not cool, and i say this as an atheist. Abuse and control has nothing to do with religion in this context. Edward is not abusive by any means, if anything he is less abusive then Jacob.Jacob kissed Bella without her consent. Edward is however very controlling but not the "im gonna kick your butt if you talk to jacob" controlling, but controlling in the sense that he wants and needs to keep Bella safe. Honestly, if i were Edward I would be doing the same thing, saving someone I loved from scary vampires and werewolves. Edward is a well written character perfect but yet has flaws. He is still a figment of my imagination that i wish were true because more REAL MEN should be like Edward. From going through abuse in my life I would give anything for Edward to be my boyfriend. Its sad in the real world that abuse is all over and that women cant get out of what situation they are in, but Bella knows that she is safe with Edward and that he would NEVER physically hurt her. Plus I dont blame her for wanting to have sex with her husband and getting those bruises like that :lol: i would have. If Bella felt she was in any harm with Edward she would have left. IMHO
Avi by Shel
Sisterhood of the Traveling Book
GM of Wingtears Non Veggie Vamp Cafe Member of Wingtears High Council
Gen Y Thread is <3
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

twilight813 wrote:Wow i really dont know what to say in this topic anymore. I think this is out of control. Now religion is playing a part in this which is not cool, and i say this as an atheist. Abuse and control has nothing to do with religion in this context. Edward is not abusive by any means, if anything he is less abusive then Jacob.Jacob kissed Bella without her consent. Edward is however very controlling but not the "im gonna kick your butt if you talk to jacob" controlling, but controlling in the sense that he wants and needs to keep Bella safe. Honestly, if i were Edward I would be doing the same thing, saving someone I loved from scary vampires and werewolves. Edward is a well written character perfect but yet has flaws. He is still a figment of my imagination that i wish were true because more REAL MEN should be like Edward. From going through abuse in my life I would give anything for Edward to be my boyfriend. Its sad in the real world that abuse is all over and that women cant get out of what situation they are in, but Bella knows that she is safe with Edward and that he would NEVER physically hurt her. Plus I dont blame her for wanting to have sex with her husband and getting those bruises like that :lol: i would have. If Bella felt she was in any harm with Edward she would have left. IMHO
mm i don't think amivera meant to put that in there as part of edward's anything, just sort of random! she really didn't mean any harm or bashing! so, calm yourself just a bit please! big deep breaths everyone! ;)

but, amivera, that was a tad tactless.

we are SO NOT turning this into a jacob/edward fight about who is more abusive. it will only get ugly.

there are a LOT of forms of abuse. no, edward would never PHYSICALLY abuse her, but the amount of control he thought he could exert over her was scary.

i don't think bella shows any strength in this situation until it becomes so out of control that it's a real problem. i think it sets a terrible example for women in actual relationships that become this controlling.

i think that the bottom line is that we ALL have control issues, we all wish we could just make everything the way we want it, and we ALL know that the world would be a much better place if everyone would just acknowledge that we know best. that's why we have close relationships, to keep those tendencies in check. yes, edward was out of control, but bella should have put him back in his place. that's how a relationship works. do edward's control freak tendencies make him a bad person? NO of course not! they were certainly bad actions, but they don't make him a bad person, and they are not unnatural nor are they unique.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...