Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Edward Cullen #2

Post by Esme echo »

Well, malaz, it would be convenient to hear my kids at times, but when I gave it serious reflection, maybe you're right and I DON'T want to know! :lol:

I wonder which is worse: Edward able to hear everything I was thinking, or Edward having to listen to everything I was thinking! :oops:
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."

sachael
Cliff Diving with Embry
Location: Somewhere in Vegas having and argument with Riley Reynolds.

Post by sachael »

hi.. im kinda new here.. and i really dunno where you start.. but just to react about the midnight sun release.. i really hope that stephenie will be releasing it.. i really wanna know how was edward feeling during the struggle of falling in love with a human.. i just started reading the series and im still on the new moon book.. and i am so into it.. though the book is quite expensive.. but it's all worth it!! 8-)
ImageImage
Team J.ActionTwinnie:TillyWhitlock
A PROUD RANDIE and LEXLING
I Speak My Mindand i tweet too!

Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

sachael wrote:hi.. im kinda new here.. and i really dunno where you start.. but just to react about the midnight sun release.. i really hope that stephenie will be releasing it.. i really wanna know how was edward feeling during the struggle of falling in love with a human.. i just started reading the series and im still on the new moon book.. and i am so into it.. though the book is quite expensive.. but it's all worth it!! 8-)
hello!
it's tragic what happened with midnightsun *sniff sniff* i was looking forward reading the meadow scene and the last half of the book.
but noooo, someone HAD to leak it. what a disgrace.

Esme Echo - you're right. but wouldn't it be convienent (sp) also? if a kid were to get in trouble of some sort?

both are worse. haha. i don't want anyone in my mind, thankyou for very much. but if i had to choose i would go with "edward having to listen to everything i was thinking" rather than hear EVERYTHING i've thunk. i'd count on Edward to be the gentleman he is to block himself out of my mind. i mean, who would want to hear someone fanatizing about you? some things i wouldn't mind he'd know since i'd proberly say them outloud regardless :oops: :oops:

holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

i was under the impression edward can choose to listen or not to listen?? but maybe i'm wrong. could someone clarify?

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...

navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

sachael wrote:hi.. im kinda new here.. and i really dunno where you start.. but just to react about the midnight sun release.. i really hope that stephenie will be releasing it.. i really wanna know how was edward feeling during the struggle of falling in love with a human.. i just started reading the series and im still on the new moon book.. and i am so into it.. though the book is quite expensive.. but it's all worth it!! 8-)
I'm with you, I want Midnight Sun sooooo baaad!!! I hope SM can get around to it sooner rather than later. :)
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict

Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Esme echo »

holdingoutforjacob wrote:i was under the impression edward can choose to listen or not to listen?? but maybe i'm wrong. could someone clarify?
Here's how Edward described it in Twilight, p. 180:

"... I can't hear anyone, anywhere. I have to be fairly close. The more familiar someone's ... 'voice' is, the farther away I can hear them. But still, no more than a few miles." He paused thoughtfully, "It's a little like being in a huge hall filled with people, everyone talking at once. It's just a hum--a buzzing of voices in the background. Until I focus on one voice, and then what they're thinking is clear.
"Most of the time I tune it all out--it can be very distracting. And then, it's easier to seem normal"--he frowned as he said the word--"when I'm not accidentally answering someone's thoughts rather than their words."

And in Midnight Sun (p. 1) Edward indicated that he blocked the thoughts of his family out of courtesy, nevertheless he knew where their brain was.

So, I guess it's a matter of interpretation whether you think the buzzing of voices is unintelligible all the time, or whether sometimes people's thoughts intrude on Edward's consciousness like shouting, and reception is outside his control. I can see his gift working both ways.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."

holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

mmk. because in the fated tent scene, i remember jacob saying "you don't have to listen" and feeling quite in agreement with that! i think there's a difference between knowing where someone's mind is and knowing their exact thoughts.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...

Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

I can't remember which book it was in but I remember Edward saying once that Jacob's thoughts came across as though he was shouting. I can't find it so I don't know if he was referring to just that one time or always but at least that once he wasn't able to tune Jacob out. Maybe it was the same in the tent scene.

It could also be possible that during the tent scene he was scanning through all the voices to pick up on any danger since they knew Victoria would be there soon.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/

Jenn
Settled in Forks

Post by Jenn »

Destani wrote:I can't remember which book it was in but I remember Edward saying once that Jacob's thoughts came across as though he was shouting. I can't find it so I don't know if he was referring to just that one time or always but at least that once he wasn't able to tune Jacob out. Maybe it was the same in the tent scene.

It could also be possible that during the tent scene he was scanning through all the voices to pick up on any danger since they knew Victoria would be there soon.

That was in Eclipse (chapter 23, "Ice and fire")...

I think Edward can't choose... He can hear people's thoughts all the time... But he tries to ignore it because it's really annoying! The problem is that Jake's thoughts are kind of impossible to ignore... :lol:
After all, how many ways can one heart be
mangled and still be expected to keep beating?

Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 »

^yeah, like for example: the math teacher babbling nonesense about sine law and slope point forumulas. and it's SO annoying to have to listen to it so you tune that out, pretty easy when you don't want to listen (i've tried)
and then when it's something edward finds interesting and he would like to listen to it but he knows he shouldn't, it becomes hard to tune it out.

for me it would proberly be the teacher discussing cells and stem cell research or the new Phoenix robot set on mars and the dirt it has coveted...er...yeah. i guess i don't have to tune that out i suppose, but i guess my point is when it's something interesting you can't help but listen and it becomes hard to tune it out.