Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Esme echo
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Edward Cullen #2

Post by Esme echo » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:47 pm

I think the amount of time Edward spends thinking about Bella--trying to understand her and trying to smooth her path--is very romantic. For example, the thought he put into their wedding night, his interest in her likes and dislikes (i.e. the questioning in Twilight), and his interest in discussing things she enjoyed, like books and movies. He was so willing to do what she wanted to do, yet made great suggestions for other things they could do together that he thought she would enjoy. He was very focused on keeping Bella safe and happy--a comforting and secure environment for Bella, who really had not had much of that in her life before Edward.
"Where there is great love, there are always miracles."

navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:51 pm

twilight813 wrote:lets try and start a new Edward topic if we possibly can.. let me think hmm.. what about Edward's romantic side and the little things he does for Bella.. like the scene where is going to propose and he already has the ring, like basically waiting for her.. so cute. romantic.
Excellent suggestion!! I love it in Midnight Sun, that he gets her an extra quilt to cover her, when he sees her sleeping)either the first or second time), he keeps her bottle cap as an momento, he composes her lullaby,
I,too, love the meadow and even when he 'waxes poetic' with her(telling her that before he met her, his life was like a moonless night, full of stars;points of reason, then she shot across his sky like a meteor...you get the point) - that is beautiful to me. I can handle being talked to that way(once in a while). :D

Just the physical description of him makes my skin catch fire! :D ;)
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict

Jazziscool
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jazziscool » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:55 pm

:lol:
Me too!

Trainee of the EDC, Inc.
Supervisor of the DBJ:Donating Blood to Jasper & Co.

holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:17 pm

excuse me kachiti, but i'm really sick of your personal digs at me.

FIRST of all, what is it exactly that you think i'm not understanding?

i understand that edward was terrified of losing bella, that he was afraid for her, and that he loved her very much, and that those are the things that moved him to act the way he did, rather than any negative character trait other than a tendency towards over-reaction. what more is there kachiti?

is it possible that maybe i'm considering this from an objective point of view because we judge right and wrong objectively? or we should. we can judge whether or not things are excusable with a bias, but right and wrong need to be on a different level, so to speak. so if i say that what edward did was wrong, that's on a different level of emotion than when i say that what edward did was excusable in light of the circumstances.

before you ladies decide to rip apart my posts on account of the fact that i haven't lived through abuse, get your facts straight. i have. i resent this dismissal of my opinions, and all the reasons that have been stated that were meant to make my opinions non-valid.

pubesy, i assure you, i am judging based on the entirety of the situation leading up to the situation in eclipse. what exact scene do you think i am referring to? because i've based my opinions on edward's behavior here on things that happened all the way back to the end of new moon. i'm not taking this scene as a huge example of edward's character as i've stated over and over again but i AM saying that in THIS PARTICULAR INSTANCE, he was wrong. so i'm not entirely sure what you meant by that.

and i am not the only one using the word abuse kachiti. i understand that you don't like what i'm saying, but please.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...

twilight813
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by twilight813 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:35 pm

holdingoutforjacob wrote:excuse me kachiti, but i'm really sick of your personal digs at me.

i understand that edward was terrified of losing bella, that he was afraid for her, and that he loved her very much, and that those are the things that moved him to act the way he did, rather than any negative character trait other than a tendency towards over-reaction. what more is there kachiti?

is it possible that maybe i'm considering this from an objective point of view because we judge right and wrong objectively? or we should. we can judge whether or not things are excusable with a bias, but right and wrong need to be on a different level, so to speak. so if i say that what edward did was wrong, that's on a different level of emotion than when i say that what edward did was excusable in light of the circumstances.

before you ladies decide to rip apart my posts on account of the fact that i haven't lived through abuse, get your facts straight. i have. i resent this dismissal of my opinions, and all the reasons that have been stated that were meant to make my opinions non-valid.

pubesy, i assure you, i am judging based on the entirety of the situation leading up to the situation in eclipse. what exact scene do you think i am referring to? because i've based my opinions on edward's behavior here on things that happened all the way back to the end of new moon. i'm not taking this scene as a huge example of edward's character as i've stated over and over again but i AM saying that in THIS PARTICULAR INSTANCE, he was wrong. so i'm not entirely sure what you meant by that.

and i am not the only one using the word abuse kachiti. i understand that you don't like what i'm saying, but please.

i think this conversation needs to stop and go on with something else. imho
Avi by Shel
Sisterhood of the Traveling Book
GM of Wingtears Non Veggie Vamp Cafe Member of Wingtears High Council
Gen Y Thread is <3

slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by slayerchick303 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:47 pm

pubesy wrote:Amivera, not cool.
just for future reference: unless you have good understanding of the religion, don't bash it.

Esme, the post to made explaining Edward's actions was well said, and brilliantly argued. It was what i was trying to explain the whole time.

there is a difference between control and abuse too. A mother can gain control of her children - but that does not mean she abuses them.

and I too, noticed the strength bella showed in standing up to edward, regarding his refusal to let her visit Jacob. It proves she is not a flimsy weak character, and she DOES hold her own in the relationship. but that is for another thread...
Thank you for saying that to Amivera. I am always irked by people who talk about religions they don't understand.

I completely agree about Bella. I've heard people describe her as solely the "damsel in distress," but I really don't think that's true. Even in dangerous and possibly fatal incidents, Bella holds her own.
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B

slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by slayerchick303 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:53 pm

I read the first chapter spoiler of Midnight Sun the other day and it completely changed Edward's character for me. Since you mostly see the Twilight Saga from Bella's perspective, you really don't see how truly scary and monsterous Edward is. Yes, Edward says he's a monster all the time, but you never really believe it! Well, Midnight Sun totally erased my nonschalant feelings about Edward. He truly is fighting his naturally evil tendencies to be around humans and especially with Bella. It makes his journey all the more amazing. He really is a scary guy!
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B

Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Amethyst1 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:04 pm

twilight813 wrote:lets try and start a new Edward topic if we possibly can.. let me think hmm.. what about Edward's romantic side and the little things he does for Bella.. like the scene where is going to propose and he already has the ring, like basically waiting for her.. so cute. romantic.
my FAVOURITE scene in all of eclipse. i keep reading it over and over and over...again and it tears me up everytime.
I am not a fan of the cheesy proposals. like those lames ones on tv or whatever. I loved that it was simple and at his house, them alone and the words "bella swan, i promise to love you forever, every single day of forever, will you marry me?" are just so sweet and simple.

*sigh* what i wouldn't give to be bella swan. i mean it.

Jazziscool
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jazziscool » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:30 pm

ohmygosh, I LOVE THAT PART!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh.

For all of you who don't remeber;

"Now, I want to do this right. Please, please, keep in mind that you have already agreed to this, and don't ruin this for me.
"Oh, no," I gasped as he slid down on one knee.
"Be nice," he muttered.
I took a deep breath.
"Isabella Swan?" he looked up at me through his impossibly long lashes, his golden eyes soft but, somehow, still scorching.
"I promise to love you forever----every single day of forever. Will you marry me?"

(p.459-460) Eclipse.
Stephenie Meyer
Last edited by Jazziscool on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trainee of the EDC, Inc.
Supervisor of the DBJ:Donating Blood to Jasper & Co.

Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Kachiti » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:24 pm

holdingoutforjacob wrote:excuse me kachiti, but i'm really sick of your personal digs at me.

I'm not going to argue with you, because we rarely see eye to eye. I'm simply asking you to find another word to use. As I stated before the word is having a negative effect on this thread.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.