We Love Mumford And Sons!
1 of 2 Active Members of Team Gimp
Proud Member of the Gen Y Lexily
http://www.fanfiction.net/~senorgimp
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: Alice Cullen

Post by Jazz Girl »

SenorGimp wrote:Keep something from Alice??!!
Fat chance of that! :lol:
But that's my point, SenorGimp. She's almost like Renesmee in that way. If Renesmee wants into your head to let you know something, you can't really keep her out that well. If Alice wants to know what's going to happen, she's going to find out (unless you're a werewolf or a hybrid). But, what if she doesn't want to know? I think maybe, just like Edward occasionally tries to block the thoughts of his family to respect their privacy just a little, Alice might do the same thing. Maybe she would try to not know the future to let Jasper surprise her, or because a certain brother asked her to leave his soulmate's future a mystery?
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Interesting speculation, Jazz Girl.

One thing, though- some of her visions come unbidden, whether she is actively watching out for them or not. Continuing with the Jasper example, I'm sure she can keep her curiousity in check (if she really wanted to), but there's always the chance she'll see it anyway.
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

I actually posted that last bit before I read your post about her trying not to see the future..
Isn't this site supposed to tell you when a new post has been made, so that you can review yours and make sure it's still valid??
stupid lex -grumbling under breath-
Anyway, yea, I was thinking about that too, I was just saying if Alice wanted to know something about the future, if she was truly determined to find out, there's no way she wouldn't...
Except, as was said, for the werewolf and hybrid scenarios...
But that's the exception, not the rule
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

Hey guys, I have a very complicated question for all of you.

We know Alice can see the future, so in Eclipse why didn't she tell Bella that she was gonna pick Edward in the end?I know Alice can't see Jacob but if Bella picks Edward.....what's your take?
SenorGimp
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by SenorGimp »

To put it quite simply (sorry for simplifying your complex question), I would say that it's because Bella hadn't decided yet, and Alice can't see the future until it's been decided. Witness, Alice viewing the Volturi's impending attack only when Irina finally decides to go to the Volturi and "out" the Cullens for having "made an immortal child"..
That, I think, is why Alice did not see Bella choosing Edward, and thus didn't tell them..
Or, Alice being smart and introspective as she is, she might have just decided that this is the sort of thing you don't just tell someone the ending to.
They needed to go through those rough times, when they weren't sure it would all end well, before they could definitively know that they were meant to be together.
Excellent question, though!
You make me think, and that is a rare quality in a person.
Actually everyone makes me think, but usually they don't make me think about stuff I don't already know, or haven't already thought of, just to clarify.
:D ;)
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

It's also possible that she always knew they'd end up together, and never needed to doubt it.

Recall that Edward asked Alice to see if Bella would be better off with Jacob. Alice couldn't see Jacob of course, but Edward also says that Bella was "sure of her course." Bella's always loved Edward. She didn't have to pick anything, because she'd already chosen him- even before she realized her feelings for Jacob.

EDIT for grammar and stuff.
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by eclipserox »

I agree with ringswraith. Yes, Bella was sure of her course--she knew how Jacob felt and yet took Edward back immediately in NM. She may have had feelings for Jacob but she was always WITH Edward. I don't think she ever wavered in her decision to be with Edward. I think she struggled over whether she could stay friends with Jacob and how to break things off with Jacob and hurt him the least. I'm not denying she had feelings for Jacob, but they paled in comparison to her love for Edward. Alice always saw Bella in their future. Edward knew this. I think knowing is part of what allowed him to be so patient while Jacob fought for Bella. Yes, he was annoyed and jealous, but he was never really concerned that she would choose Jacob. He knew they would end up together.

Also, Alice wouldn't have to tell Edward. He can see her thoughts and her visions. Even though Alice can hide things from him, it is difficult-she has to concentrate very hard on something else and cannot spend a lot of time with him. There is no way she would be able to hide seeing Bella become blurry or seeing Edward without Bella for that long
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

SenorGimp wrote:That, I think, is why Alice did not see Bella choosing Edward, and thus didn't tell them..
Or, Alice being smart and introspective as she is, she might have just decided that this is the sort of thing you don't just tell someone the ending to.
They needed to go through those rough times, when they weren't sure it would all end well, before they could definitively know that they were meant to be together.
I think that is the way of it, SenorGimp. While I completely agree that Bella never waivered in her love of Edward, nor her decision to become a vampire and stay with him, I believe there are, in fact, some lines Alice doesn't cross. I believe that, no matter the pain it might have caused either Edward or Bella, Alice just knew they had to work it out themselves, go through the experience of it. After all, it is the trials we go through with our loves that serve to strenthen the relationship. Loving each other is easy when times are good. It is when times are a little tougher that we find out how strong our bonds are. Alice always knew Edward and Bella's bond was unbreakable. She just had to let them figure it out.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

Jazz Girl wrote:
SenorGimp wrote:That, I think, is why Alice did not see Bella choosing Edward, and thus didn't tell them..
I think that is the way of it, SenorGimp. While I completely agree that Bella never waivered in her love of Edward, nor her decision to become a vampire and stay with him, I believe there are, in fact, some lines Alice doesn't cross. I believe that, no matter the pain it might have caused either Edward or Bella, Alice just knew they had to work it out themselves, go through the experience of it. After all, it is the trials we go through with our loves that serve to strenthen the relationship. Loving each other is easy when times are good. It is when times are a little tougher that we find out how strong our bonds are. Alice always knew Edward and Bella's bond was unbreakable. She just had to let them figure it out.
I'll just add this little thought since others already answered your question.

Alice trusts on her power, but I think she try to use wisely. One thing is to know the Volturi are coming and tell the family, get prepared for the worse. It's different when you use the power to interfere in others decisions. When she saw Bella struggling to decide between Edward and Jacob, all she could do was to have faith on her visions. It would be easy to say "You'll choose Edward and become a vampire." But how much of that decision would be because what Alice said and what Bella really wanted? As eclipserox said, it was because of Alice's visions that Edward could bare all the suffer, the jealousy and even the fear of loosing Bella. The funny part is, he didn't want any of that futures: the death or her transformation.In the end, Alice was right again. Bella decided for herself that she truely loved Edward and wanted to be with him, despite of her feelings for Jacob.