Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Rosalie Hale

Post by eclipserox »

I think her best moment, and her only completely non-selfish moment, was when she told Bella her story and why she didn't think Bella should give up her humanity. It had to be difficult for Rose to relive her past, share it with someone she was not all that close to. At this point, she didn't really gain anything from doing it. Whether Bella was a vampire or not, she was always around, always a part of the Cullens' life. Rose truly didn't want Bella to make a mistake and regret giving up her humanity down the road. It was harder for most of the Cullens to be around Bella as a human...they could all smell her and had to constantly resist the smell. It would have made Rose's life easier if Bella were a vampire. She wouldn't have to resist her or help Edward fight to protect Bella anymore. Rose must have had at least some compassion and kindness toward Bella to, for once, put what she thought was best for Bella ahead of what was best for Rose.

I think her worst moment was in Twilight when Edward asked Rose to trade clothes with Bella, confuse the scent for James and she said no. The rest of the time, Rose usually pitched in to help her family even though she clearly disliked Bella. But, in this moment, she showed that she did not care at all if an innocent human died, if her brother lost the love of his life. She watched the rest of the Cullens try to protect Bella, while she did nothing and refused to do the smallest of favors for Edward. No matter how much you dislike someone, you don't stand by and hope they die. You don't refuse to help your family, the family who had done a lot for her, for petty, immature reasons. I think a close second is MS when Rose wants to kill Bella so that she won't have to move, when Carlisle tells Edward they've certainly moved for Rose before. It again shows how completely selfish and immature she can be and illustrates a disregard for an innocent teenage girl's life. Let innocent Bella die. Better her death than the Cullen's have to move. Jasper at least wanted to kill Bella to protect Alice. Rose only wanted to kill Bella for selfish reasons.
shinyredvolvo
Settled in Forks

Post by shinyredvolvo »

You know another reason why Rosalie may be a little bitter and hangs on to her past so much is because she misses being the center of attention. Think about it, she is known to have a lot of weddings with Emmet and likes to "fussed" over. Since as vampires they have to lay low and not draw too much attention to the family. Im sure that gets on her nerves a little. Sure, I'm sure is the must beautiful girl at school, but the students tend to stay clear of them. If she was still human, I can see her being a socialite and out in the lime light all the time.

I know this is not the many or only reason why she is so bitter about things....but it could be on the long list of many. Sorry, my thoughts are all over the place!

I really do enjoy her tho.
the color Edwards car would be if Alice picked it out
chowzinha
Learning to Love Green

Post by chowzinha »

I don't think that we can expect to much from Rose from the beginning, since as Edward says in MS, when someone is transformed, this person brings to the new life all the hates and likes, and personality and way of thinking that he/she had before "dying".
Having this in mind, it is quite easy to understand Rose, but is not enough (at least for me) to hate her. I like her A LOT!
Also, if ever Rose's attitudes change towards Bella, then it will be a permanent change.
We really should just be patient with Rose. She can't be blamed for being shallow or aggressive in her own way. How boring it would be if there wasn't a Rosalie to annoy Edward all the time! I really enjoy when they have little stupid mental fights.
And about her selfishness, I don't blame her either. If she was really this bad and mean and insignificant person, then the Cullens would not want her presence at all. So, I think that the reason that she sticks around is because she truly loves the Cullens (and by Cullens, I mean just them, not Bella included because she is Edward's soul mate) and she have some really good and strong qualities that, despite all the annoyance, makes the rest of the Cullens love her so much. ;)
eclipserox
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by eclipserox »

chowzinha wrote:I don't think that we can expect to much from Rose from the beginning, since as Edward says in MS, when someone is transformed, this person brings to the new life all the hates and likes, and personality and way of thinking that he/she had before "dying".
Having this in mind, it is quite easy to understand Rose, but is not enough (at least for me) to hate her. I like her A LOT!
Also, if ever Rose's attitudes change towards Bella, then it will be a permanent change.
We really should just be patient with Rose. She can't be blamed for being shallow or aggressive in her own way. How boring it would be if there wasn't a Rosalie to annoy Edward all the time! I really enjoy when they have little stupid mental fights.
And about her selfishness, I don't blame her either. If she was really this bad and mean and insignificant person, then the Cullens would not want her presence at all. So, I think that the reason that she sticks around is because she truly loves the Cullens (and by Cullens, I mean just them, not Bella included because she is Edward's soul mate) and she have some really good and strong qualities that, despite all the annoyance, makes the rest of the Cullens love her so much. ;)
I'll start out by saying I'm a little biased--I really strongly do not like Rose. That said, I got the impression that not all of the Cullens loved Rose so much. Edward called Alice his favorite sister, said his relationship with Rose started out bad and got worse, etc. In NM, Alice acted like she could barely stand Rose after Rose called Edward to tell him Bella had died. I got the impression that Alice thought Rose's decision to call was motivated by selfishness and a complete lack of consideration for anyone else in the family. If you read the excerpts from NM on SM's website, Rose says Alice cares way more for Bella than she does for Rose. At least with Edward and Alice, I kind of thought they tolerated her more than they really loved her. I think they all like Emmet, and he does truly love Rose, so they tolerate her. I think Carlisle and Esme are very compassionate, caring, and accepting so they're fine with her and love her. Jasper usually follows Alice, so I'm guessing he's not crazy about Rose. I don't think the other Cullens would kick Rose to the curb even if they didn't want her presence , out of respect for the others (Emmet, Esme, Carlisle).
*Lamb*I*Am*
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by *Lamb*I*Am* »

No, I don't believe that the Cullen's mearely tolerate Rosalie. It's just like any other family...you may be irritated by your sister/brother at times, but you still love them.

I understand why Rosalie is the way she is. She had a huge fall from grace...Everyone loved her, wanted her or wanted to be her...and what did she get? To be brutalized & left for dead. I imagine her ego took a major hit, which leads to the bitterness...Even while she was waking up after being turned, she heard Edward's words against her...And then to find out she could never have the one thing she craved, children? I truly feel for her.

I like Rose. I think she's a very complex character.

She did a very redeeming thing, when she put aside everything & talked to Bella about her past. She didn't do that for her own benefit, but for Bella's, so that she could understand & be full aware of the situation.

This probably sounds silly...But I named one of my 2008 Foals after Rosalie. Her name is Roamin Rosalie & she just reminded me of Rosalie from Twilight.
She was slow to trust, VERY pretty...but damn, get on her bad side & she was vicious. I've had to take all her training slower, giving her time to adjust. She's coming around now, but she is just so pretty & still has her attitude. And I like her that way....
Seems silly to compare a horse, to Rosalie....but I saw the similarities of 'character'. (And yes even horses have their own personalities...)
chowzinha
Learning to Love Green

Post by chowzinha »

Yeah, I agree with *Lamb*I*Am*.

And just emphasizing what I said previously, it is not easy for Rose to change because her bitterness is permanent, just like any other characteristics.
If she was truly selfish, she would not care enough for Bella to try to spare Bella from the same fate as hers. And since she is not exactly happy about her change (she's grateful, though), she would want to spare anyone who has the choice.
chowzinha
Learning to Love Green

Post by chowzinha »

And just one more thing I noticed is that some of the opinions on Rose come from Edward's statement in MS, when he says that she would just give up anything, even Emmet, to become human again...

I think that they are too harsh on Rose about it. I believe that she would give up anything to be human again, but not EVERYTHING. Really, when she put some real thinking on it, she would probably snap out of it. I mean, Rose is vain, it's all about her beauty and ego, so if she stayed human, she would eventually grow old and die, and in the middle of it, she would loose all her beauty and just decline with age.
Having that said, it is noticeable that Rose wants to became human again so she can enjoy the married life she imagined for herself... nice husband and beautiful babies... I truly believe that if vampires could have children, she would be the happiest person in the world, because then, she would sustain eternal beauty, besides having the joy of motherhood.

That's why I think that Edward is wrong when he puts Rose in this selfish position. After all, MS is about Edward's POV, so, even if he can read minds, there are still some thing that will be entirely his opinion.
metro_girl0

Post by metro_girl0 »

Every time, my bestie and I begin talking about Twilight, we get on the subject of Rosalie eventually. I think Rosalie has some rough edges but I think she can be nice if she wants to. If what happened to her, happened to me, I think I'd be somewhat mean at times too. I think she deserves to have her angry moments, but I don't think that she should be like that all the time. If she had just put it behind her then she wouldn't have to be so mean.
She was nice when she Bella's hair for her wedding, that was nice.

Allie
Image Image Image
E<3B Team E!
*Lamb*I*Am*

Post by *Lamb*I*Am* »

But we must remember, change is not an easy thing for a vampire...

Sorry, can't keep to the 4 line rule with this one :)
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

Hmm I wanted to point something out.

Rosalie doesn't want kids because she is particularly maternal. She wants kids because she thinks it will complete her life. She wanted to have a baby in her story because a friend had it and she didn't. Because they were a pretty picture. She wants a baby like some people want an iPod. She wants a baby for what it will mean for Her. It will make Her happy, it will give Her purpose.... etc. etc. etc.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...