Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Pendragon
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Emily Young

Post by Pendragon »

Angelvamp wrote:It has been said that Emily didn't take to Sam right away, in fact she fought it for some time (how long, that's what I want to know) because it would hurt Leah. Sam did imprint on her, but that doesn't give him immediate access to her likes and dislikes. He would have had to woo her, but with things such a mess it would have been way more difficult. What kinds of things do you think he did or have to do to win Emily? There must have been some redeeming traits he had in the first place to interest her, especially when she knew that getting into a relationship with him would break her cousin's heart.
To be honest, I'm not sure if there was anything else besides the whole "complete devotion" aspect of Sam that Emily liked. The way we hear the story was "Sam accidentaly injures Emily,"Sam's full of total grieve", "Emily ends up comforting him", "She loves him back." IMO complete devotion seems to be like the only thing that's attracted Emily to Sam. I guess this is due to lack of info.
Angelvamp
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Angelvamp »

You may be right, Pendragon. Although, I really don't see anyone all of a sudden becoming all lovey-dovey with someone who tore half their face off. She may have already had feelings for him before that happened. I can't see it otherwise, really. And we are missing quite a bit of information. Too bad, it's a love story we don't get to see played out. :(
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

Angelvamp wrote:You may be right, Pendragon. Although, I really don't see anyone all of a sudden becoming all lovey-dovey with someone who tore half their face off. She may have already had feelings for him before that happened. I can't see it otherwise, really. And we are missing quite a bit of information. Too bad, it's a love story we don't get to see played out. :(
Yeah, I'll be honest. The Sam/Leah/Emily love triangle seems a lot more interesting to hear than Bella and Edwards love story.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

The whole Emily/Sam/Leah triangle would be a lot more interesting then the Edward/Bella/Jake triangle, IMO. Jake's a great guy, but he knew where the girl's heart lay, and with the other one it has the drama of the imprint, and not enough information to really understand what happened (or happens when a wolf imprints when they are with someone else).
Angelvamp

Post by Angelvamp »

New question: Does Emily decide to keep her scars? And if so, why?

If someone were to receive such horrible damage to their face and went to the ER, there would most likely be a doctor there who could perform some sort of corrective surgery to retain normality to their features. There are ways to stitch up tears in the skin so that they barely leave a scar. And all this would have been done prior to any consideration about payment. Any thoughts?
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

Angelvamp wrote:New question: Does Emily decide to keep her scars? And if so, why?
This is an interesting question. I don't know that Emily "decided" to keep her scars. In general the people on the reservation go to the reservation dr. I can't remember if they say where Emily went. Perhaps she did go to the Forks hospital. Either way, Forks is probably not a hot bed for really good plastic surgeons. So my guess is that whatever dr. fixed Emily up, they did a really good job with what he/she was skilled to do. This would still leave scars across Emily's face. It would take a pretty good surgeon to "fix" or "take away" the scars.

I doubt that it was important enough or that she would spend the extra money to get further surgery. I think that would be the decision part for Emily, to not feel the need to get further work done.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
Angelvamp

Post by Angelvamp »

Although it would be safe to assume such a small town would lack highly skilled surgeons, Forks did not. Carlisle was working in the hospital at the time, he probably could have helped a great deal. After all, Sam wouldn't have shifted if the vampires were not there. And as far as her deciding not to get further treatment, that was kind of my question in the first place. Why doesn't she? I'm sure Sam would pay for it, he would work his furry little rump off to pay for it, as a matter of fact. Not to mention her family or the entire Quileute community donating money or having a fund raiser of some sort, if it was necessary or desired. Everyone in the books say what a tragedy it was, such a beautiful girl, lalalalala. But no one ever wonders why she doesn't get corrective surgery. Or wonders if the doctor that stitched her up was drunk. Why isn't it important to her? Does she really enjoy torturing Sam with what he did to her everyday? Just seems...I don't know...weird.
holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

I think you might be overestimating the gruesomeness of Emily's scars. I don't think the tragedy was the severity, it was the simple fact that they were there.

I think that she doesn't want the surgery because it doesn't matter to her. Because it doesn't matter to Sam. And because of the imprinting, all that matters to her is Sam, and he'll think he's beautiful no matter what.

Plus, reconstructive surgery on your face is no joke.

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...
suzzeeQ

Post by suzzeeQ »

Maybe she didn't get rid of the scars because she felt she deserved them. She saw how heart broken Leah was after Sam broke up with her. Stephenie said that Emily was already attracted to Sam before the accident, which caused her to feel really guilty. She knew that Leah's heart break would only increase when Emily and Sam got together. She could have felt that the scars were the price she had to pay to be with Sam.
Angelvamp

Post by Angelvamp »

holdingoutforjacob - As usual, you've made some good points. I didn't even think about the imprinting securing Sam's feelings about her, good call. But even though she will always be beautiful to him, do you really think her scars don't matter to him? Yes, he imprinted but I can't help but feel that he is under a mountain of guilt everyday when he sees what he did to her. Or maybe since she forgave him, he forgave himself? And I may be over estimating the severity but, from the way it was described, one whole side of her face was scarred and her mouth is deformed by them. Enough for Bella to take a step back, and she's a pro at weird. ;)

suzeeQ - That's an interesting perspective, you may have something there. I never read anything of SM's that indicated Emily was attracted to Sam previous to Leah, where did you find that? I thought that something like that was going on, just seemed like she wouldn't just fall for him out of the blue. And since Leah and her were so close, she must have known him before.