Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Bronze Haired Girl
Human History Archivist
Location: Driving through the Tennessee mountains with Emmett

Emmett Cullen

Post by Bronze Haired Girl »

This is the place to discuss all the things you've wondered about Emmett as an individual. Keep posts about Emmett and Rosalie's relationship to the general discussion forum in Quench Your Thirst.

Please remember the Discussion Guidelines. Posts will be edited or deleted as needed at the moderators' discretion without warning.
Banner by urcoolcarrie
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Emmett Cullen

Post by LadyDi »

What? No one has posted about "the big teddy bear", the big brother everyone wants to have, a.k.a. sweet ol' Emmett? Bronze Haired Girl, are you too busy to wax poetical about your favourite Twilight character?

Here's a confession - I had to read Breaking Dawn twice to properly appreciate Emmett's joking. At first, I was slightly irritated by it - I think I was too tied in to Bella's feelings on the subject that I couldn't enjoy the teasing taunts. On my second read, I realized that (forgive the literary allusion) that Emmett was almost like the gravediggers in Hamlet - by providing some comic relief, they simultaneously heighten the tension and release the tension. (Sorry if this doesn't make sense - it's after 11 pm as I write). If it wasn't for Emmett, the whole meeting with Charlie would've failed quite royally. Emmett brought some normalcy to the scene with watching football (it was football, wasn't it? I have no clue on sports.) The suggestive comments made things both tighter (oh my! what if Charlie gets what he's talking about?) and looser (whew! they can joke about things). Funny to consider that when Bella first told Charlie she was dating a Cullen, he was afraid that it was Emmett.

Lest we think that Emmett is all passion with Rosalie and teasing with his family, we need to re-read the tender moment when he first saw Rose. I would have loved to have seen the houses they built, the multiple weddings they've had, and their trips together.
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Post by mlola619 »

Emmett, Emmett Emmett.....hahaha! Man what else is there to say but laugh??? He's awesome- definitely a favorite of mine. I really love his ability to crack jokes and be so carefree sometimes- like a child almost, but never in an annoying way. It's really great when you can have that big brother character in a story; someone to cut the tension. I also thoroughly enjoyed Bella's relationship with him, seeing him as a big lovable brother. I happen to have that sort of relationship with a guy- and it's awesome, definitely a relationship everyone should experience...

Anywho, Emmett is that brute force that can make you die of laughter; what's there not to love??
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...
Bronze Haired Girl
Human History Archivist
Location: Driving through the Tennessee mountains with Emmett

Post by Bronze Haired Girl »

LadyDi wrote:Bronze Haired Girl, are you too busy to wax poetical about your favourite Twilight character?

Here's a confession - I had to read Breaking Dawn twice to properly appreciate Emmett's joking. At first, I was slightly irritated by it .
:D Yes, I've been quite busy and when I looked earlier this evening I thought I was going to have to pull Emmett from the dredges of the second page. In fact, I came back in here specifically for that reason. I'm so glad someone beat me to it. :D

Now, I'm a little shocked to hear myself say it, but I know exactly what you mean about Emmett's joking. My first reaction had been "How could he?" But on the second read I realized that in his way he was trying to help the situation and at the same time tease Bella. If you notice, he immediately jumps in to give pointers on how to act human right before Charlie gets there. Then when things start getting too tense with Charlie he is the one to distract Charlie from the information overload. Of course, being Emmett he used the situation to taunt Bella. I must say, the arm wrestling scene is one of my favorite. I laughed all the way through it.

It also occured to me when I read it a second time that we get to see some of Emmett's serious side in this book. He takes his role as protector very seriously when Bella first gets up after the change and then again when she meets Renesmee. Then, (and I love that this shows he has a brain :D ) he helps Jasper do the research when they are trying to find out what the baby will like, what to expect for the delivery, searching the stories and legends for any hints.

I agree, we need to remember that we are only seeing Emmett the way Bella sees him. I still think there's much more to him than the jokester even though that is a major part of his personality. He can be serious when he needs to be.
Banner by urcoolcarrie
SeverusSnape11221
Settled in Forks

Post by SeverusSnape11221 »

awwww i love Emmett! :D I really wish the story with Emmett and the bear was in the book...
ImageImageImageEmmett Cullen Rocks!!<3
chessley_meyers
Wandering Through Town

Post by chessley_meyers »

I am a big fan of Emmett Cullen. He is like a combination of my two older brothers, so he holds a special place in my heart. The younger of my two brothers is a big joker. In serious situations he is able to lighten the mood quickly and this helps ease tension. I also love joking around with him. We see a lot of this in Emmett, obviously, with his wise-cracking jokes and teasing. However, the side of Emmett that I find most endearing is his more protective side. My oldest brother is more of a protector. I can always count on him being there for me when I need him, and I see that in Emmett. When anyone in his family is threatened, he is there, ready to protect them.
AgentCross
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by AgentCross »

Emmett is the classic Big Older Brother that is always ready for a fight and always the first one to defend his family. I really like him as a character and his jokes and teasing in Breaking Dawn are great.
"A Proud Twilight Guy"
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

i LOVE emmett!!!!! if edward wasn't there, i would be just fine with emmett. i swear, we are like the same. he would do anything to pretect his family, but hes so laid back and likes to joke around. yep, thats the perfect description of me!
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
jsegome
Settled in Forks

Post by jsegome »

Emmett rocks!!! I always tell my friend 'yeah i'd like u better if u were a vampire named emmett with super strength' he rocks!
G-Faerie08
Officially Bitten!

Post by G-Faerie08 »

I like Emmett because he seems to know how to have a good time and is always cracking jokes. I like that he is so devoted to his family and never backs down from a fight, though there are times he should take a couple of imaginary breaths and not get so worked up.