Edward Cullen #3

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Locked
bite_me
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:45 am
Location: Australia! =D

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by bite_me » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:46 am

the THIRD edward cullen thread?

he deserves it.
ImageImage
If they say it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?

MelEponine
Wandering Through Town
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by MelEponine » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:39 pm

vampbball wrote:
MelEponine, I wanted to reply to an earlier question of yours, on the pacifism of Edward. I have always seen Edward as a warrior. Not only did he go vigilante on rapists and murderers during his human-killing years, but he's a really good vampire fighter. The fact that he even knows how to fight vampires makes me think that he's seen some battles long before the events of Eclipse. In the "battle" in Breaking Dawn, Bella sizes up one of the Volturi's guard, Renata, and says, "Though she was useful to Aro, I could tell she was no warrior...Raw as I was, I knew that if this were between her and me, I would obliterate her." (p.693) We also don't hear much about Esme as a warrior. So being a vampire alone isn't enough to make you a fighter. Next to Jasper (and maybe Alice), Edward seems like the best of the Cullen fighters.
Yes, I see what you mean. Allow me to elaborate. Edward is obviously a man of action and he will fight for the things he believes in. Of course he is a good fighter, too, because, well.... he's good at everything. I guess I'm just saying that his conscience would inevitably get him in the end. He wanted to go to war, because he thought it was the right thing. He went all vigilante because he thought it was the right thing, and he fought for his family, and fought to protect Bella everytime because he knew it was right. Still.... I think his monster complex comes mostly from regret for his actions- for the murders he committed, warranted or not. He states that he has a temper, but we know he tries not to act on it unless it's necessary. He lets Bella's attackers go in Port Angeles. He lets his brothers kill James. And he puts up with Jacob. ;) So maybe my word choice of "pacifist" would be incorrect. But I still wonder if he would have had as equally negative a view of himself after returning from war. That's all.
revrag wrote:I don't think Edward is out there. Unfortunately. But the idea of him very much is. My husband is my Edward, but he's not Edward...or even close. But, I can hardly breathe without him, the thought of something happening to him makes me physicially ill...when he touches me I really feel it and know I'm definitely alive (even after 12 years...oh man..that makes me sound old), when I see him play with our children my heart swells to a capacity that I think it will burst...He makes me happy and I am special because of him.

When I think of Edward...I think of someone completely other worldly...completely perfect in every way, physicially, intellectually. While my husband isn't those things, that makes him more appealing to me...how to say it...I'm not sure I can without getting too intimate...thus making myself and most of you uncomfortable...

Let's just say that Edward does exist out there for each of us, but not as Edward, but something so much more.
Bravo!!! That was so eloquent and perfectly stated! I am so with you on this. I think the biggest reason I fell so quickly and completely in love with Twilight is because SM captured so many of my feelings toward my hubby. It was so real. Like she just reached into my head and pulled out my memories.

We have to keep in mind, that when we read the Twilight books, we are getting Bella's feelings and interpretations of Edward. I hope that we would each write about our husbands or future husbands, or wives in that way. When you read MS, you can definitely see that he has a different view of himself. (Though he does still come off as kind of perfect.) People shouldn't be looking for Edward... they should be looking to feel about someone the Bella does about Edward. I've one on this tangent before.... I stop now before I start rambling any more.
Image

E&BForever
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:28 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by E&BForever » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:52 pm

There is no such thing as the "perfect" man. But Edward is pretty close! :D
Chantell
"You are my life now."-Edward to Bella.
Edward&Bella: Feel the passion, the love, the devotion.Image
Team Edward for life!
No man is perfect, but Edward Cullen comes close!

Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!
Posts: 1432
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by Amethyst1 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:01 pm

E&BForever wrote:There is no such thing as the "perfect" man. But Edward is pretty close! :D
Chantell
Of coarse there is such a thing as a perfect man. Edward Cullen is the perfect man. Yes, he's imperfect with flaws. but i am talking about a girl's man, he's the ideal, perfect man.
and JASPER IS LIKE CLOSE TIED, okay...thought i'd throw that out there..and Emmett of coarse.

I am not sure if there is an Edward Cullen vampire and all. not possible. I however do think that Edward's personality exists in many men out there - they are maybe dark or fair haired, and have all kinds of eye colours and heights and not necessarily "gorgeous" but his personality definitely exists.

It would be a coincidence if there is a green eyed, red haired, 6"2 man out there with the same kind of personality.

and besides we all know Angels are perfect, so that means that there are a form of beings that are perfect. :lol:

E&BForever
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:28 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by E&BForever » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:26 pm

malaz wrote:
E&BForever wrote:There is no such thing as the "perfect" man. But Edward is pretty close! :D
Chantell
Of coarse there is such a thing as a perfect man. Edward Cullen is the perfect man. Yes, he's imperfect with flaws. but i am talking about a girl's man, he's the ideal, perfect man.
and JASPER IS LIKE CLOSE TIED, okay...thought i'd throw that out there..and Emmett of coarse.

I am not sure if there is an Edward Cullen vampire and all. not possible. I however do think that Edward's personality exists in many men out there - they are maybe dark or fair haired, and have all kinds of eye colours and heights and not necessarily "gorgeous" but his personality definitely exists.

It would be a coincidence if there is a green eyed, red haired, 6"2 man out there with the same kind of personality.

and besides we all know Angels are perfect, so that means that there are a form of beings that are perfect. :lol:
Yeah, I Edward is pretty much perfect! :D Like I said, Edward is Stephenie's idea of a perfect man isn't he?
Chantell
"You are my life now."-Edward to Bella.
Edward&Bella: Feel the passion, the love, the devotion.Image
Team Edward for life!
No man is perfect, but Edward Cullen comes close!

edward4ever
Helping Mike to Get a Clue
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:41 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by edward4ever » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:06 pm

MelEponine wrote: .... I think his monster complex comes mostly from regret for his actions- for the murders he committed, warranted or not.
I disagree with everyone on this point I think. You're not the first one to state this.

I truly believe that Edward's Monster Complex comes, not from the murders he's commited or any vampire fights he's been in, BUT from how disgusted he is with himself that he even HAS a taste for human blood and has to war with himself NOT to drink it!!
Remember, he has Carlisle up on a Pedestal because he has never taken a human life (except when he turned all of them, but they were dying anyway)! Edward thinks Carlisle is god-like in the fact that he can work around bleeding humans and not even seem to think about their blood! Edward has seen into his head and knows that Carlisle truly has no problems or feelings of wanting to suck on someone's neck, and that makes Edward feel horrible because even after 80 years, he still craves it. He even refers to that side of him as "the monster" in MS.
Edward's Honeymoon Night Extra
Honeymoon Night Extra
Two feather pillows--$75
One headboard--$220
Spending 17 days alone on Isle Esme with Edward Cullen--PRICELESS!

E&BForever
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:28 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by E&BForever » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:28 pm

edward4ever wrote:
MelEponine wrote: .... I think his monster complex comes mostly from regret for his actions- for the murders he committed, warranted or not.
I disagree with everyone on this point I think. You're not the first one to state this.

I truly believe that Edward's Monster Complex comes, not from the murders he's commited or any vampire fights he's been in, BUT from how disgusted he is with himself that he even HAS a taste for human blood and has to war with himself NOT to drink it!!
Remember, he has Carlisle up on a Pedestal because he has never taken a human life (except when he turned all of them, but they were dying anyway)! Edward thinks Carlisle is god-like in the fact that he can work around bleeding humans and not even seem to think about their blood! Edward has seen into his head and knows that Carlisle truly has no problems or feelings of wanting to suck on someone's neck, and that makes Edward feel horrible because even after 80 years, he still craves it. He even refers to that side of him as "the monster" in MS.
I think you could be right on this.
Chantell
"You are my life now."-Edward to Bella.
Edward&Bella: Feel the passion, the love, the devotion.Image
Team Edward for life!
No man is perfect, but Edward Cullen comes close!

Stupidshinyvolvowner
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: in the meadow watching Edward sparkle.

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by Stupidshinyvolvowner » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:21 pm

I agree. I think Edward does regret the period of time that he hunted humans, and I do believe that he things there is nothing he can every do to atone for it. But I think most of Edward's monster complex comes from the fact that he is always craving human blood. He thinks that the moment he is not being careful, he will give into that monster side of himself. I think one of the reasons that Edward is able to lighten up a little on himself throughout the series is because he IS able to not drink Bella's blood. And I think it gets easier and easier for him to not think about that side of himself. He manages to control the monster. Does that make sense?
Image

E&BForever
Banging Out Dents with Tyler
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:28 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by E&BForever » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Stupidshinyvolvowner wrote:I agree. I think Edward does regret the period of time that he hunted humans, and I do believe that he things there is nothing he can every do to atone for it. But I think most of Edward's monster complex comes from the fact that he is always craving human blood. He thinks that the moment he is not being careful, he will give into that monster side of himself. I think one of the reasons that Edward is able to lighten up a little on himself throughout the series is because he IS able to not drink Bella's blood. And I think it gets easier and easier for him to not think about that side of himself. He manages to control the monster. Does that make sense?
ITA. I think that probably is true. He can't help it that he always craves human blood.(I've seen it in other vampire stories.Human blood pretty much ALWAYS sends a vampire into a frenzy.) I just wonder what made Bella's blood smell so appealing to vampires? I don't think Edward would have ever forgiven himself if he'd hurt Bella.
Chantell
"You are my life now."-Edward to Bella.
Edward&Bella: Feel the passion, the love, the devotion.Image
Team Edward for life!
No man is perfect, but Edward Cullen comes close!

murtaghgirl
Settled in Forks
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:54 am

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by murtaghgirl » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:37 pm

Hey I haven't read all the other things you've said about Edward but I have a question...Why doesn't Edward ever kiss Bella at school??

Locked