Edward Cullen #3

Character Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Character Discussion Forum

Click for Forum Rules
Locked
Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3
Official Dog Lover!
Posts: 5001
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:04 am
Location: Barackling out with Bri and Brits, while making newbieness banners. Also trying out postahol.

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by Mrs.Edward_Cullen<3 »

WOW. :o You are sooooo lucky. :D For me movie tickets range from $9-12 a person.
Image

Mara Jade Cullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by Mara Jade Cullen »

We love it. But sometimes the good movies are few and far between.

Back on track...
Image
Team Edward

Mara Jade Cullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by Mara Jade Cullen »

Okay, first…
I have been playing Rock Band 2 the last couple of days and made an Edward-esque character. So I figured I’d share in case there’s anyone else that would like to play with him as well.
Obviously, you choose the male option.
Face: choose the “Rocker” face
Eye color: obviously do the one closest to amber
Hair: this sounds odd, but choose the Pompadore one. Its not as bad as it sounds, honestly. Just mostly that its swept up in the front. Closest of the options, IMO. For the color I picked a brown with some reddish in it.
No facial hair obviously
Weight and Height: for both I picked the second highest settings.
Skin: obviously the lightest there is. Still a little pink, IMO, but what can you do.
Yes. I know I’m odd. But I figured I’d share anyways. :P
*****

So I finished listening to Eclipse again.
And at the end I couldn’t help but be struck by Edward’s reactions.
While at the beginning of the book he was so difficult and controlling with Bella, he changed so dramatically by the end of the book. He had that candid conversation with Jacob in the tent during a time that had to be causing him no small amount of emotional pain. Yet he was still civil and more open than we are used to seeing Edward.
He selflessly runs after Jacob for Bella to bring him back for what I’m sure he had a good idea would be a romantic interlude with his fiancée.
Afterward, he was so gentle and understanding with her. More so than seems humanly possible. He takes a lot of the responsibility onto himself (in typical Edward style :p). Then he sets her free to chose without it being all or nothing. While I really hate her at this point in the story for doing that to him, he’s so endearing.
His pain when he sees Jacob getting injured was real.
And his deep concern when helping Carlisle take care of Jacob’s injuries was so genuine and deep that even Charlie could not ignore it and had to re-evaluate his opinion of Edward.
By the end of the book he’s just so selfless and loves her so unconditionally! He outshines even the Austen men such as Mr. Nightly and Mr. Darcy.

But the light that shines from Edward’s character very much throws Jacob into relief.
The only option that Jacob wished to consider for Bella is option one, even though he has seen for himself that he’d only be getting a shell of the person that she is with Edward.
He prods Edward with the “fact” that he could do things with her that Edward could not. Which isn’t necessarily true. At that point Edward really wasn’t worried about wanting to feed on her anymore. Just that his physical strength might unintentionally hurt her during a moment of passion. But its not like Jacob is a normal human either. He has supernatural strength as well, but never thinks past his own desire for Bella to consider that his strength might be a danger to her in a moment of passion.
He manipulates Bella into begging him kiss her even though he knows that she is going to suffer emotionally for her betrayal for Edward and in addition he believes that Edward is going to be harsh with her for it afterward. Edward also saw in his head that if she did not grant the kiss, Jacob would have forced it upon her anyways.
I think that Jacob shows a significant amount of selfishness that stands in stark contrast to Edward’s reactions at the end of the book.
Image
Team Edward

Kachiti
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:19 am
Location: Somewhere between dreams and reality

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by Kachiti »

Mara Jade Cullen wrote: *****

So I finished listening to Eclipse again.
And at the end I couldn’t help but be struck by Edward’s reactions.
While at the beginning of the book he was so difficult and controlling with Bella, he changed so dramatically by the end of the book. He had that candid conversation with Jacob in the tent during a time that had to be causing him no small amount of emotional pain. Yet he was still civil and more open than we are used to seeing Edward.
He selflessly runs after Jacob for Bella to bring him back for what I’m sure he had a good idea would be a romantic interlude with his fiancée.
Afterward, he was so gentle and understanding with her. More so than seems humanly possible. He takes a lot of the responsibility onto himself (in typical Edward style :p). Then he sets her free to chose without it being all or nothing. While I really hate her at this point in the story for doing that to him, he’s so endearing.
His pain when he sees Jacob getting injured was real.
And his deep concern when helping Carlisle take care of Jacob’s injuries was so genuine and deep that even Charlie could not ignore it and had to re-evaluate his opinion of Edward.
Okay, I agree with 90% of this. I don't think it was just Charlie who had re-evaluate Edward but Billy as well. Otherwise he would have never gone to the wedding.

Mara Jade Cullen wrote:By the end of the book he’s just so selfless and loves her so unconditionally! He outshines even the Austen men such as Mr. Nightly and Mr. Darcy.
Mr. Nightly yes, Mr. Darcy no. Let's not forget all that he did for Lizzy in the end. I would say it was a tie.
Mara Jade Cullen wrote:But the light that shines from Edward’s character very much throws Jacob into relief.
The only option that Jacob wished to consider for Bella is option one, even though he has seen for himself that he’d only be getting a shell of the person that she is with Edward.
He prods Edward with the “fact” that he could do things with her that Edward could not. Which isn’t necessarily true. At that point Edward really wasn’t worried about wanting to feed on her anymore. Just that his physical strength might unintentionally hurt her during a moment of passion. But its not like Jacob is a normal human either. He has supernatural strength as well, but never thinks past his own desire for Bella to consider that his strength might be a danger to her in a moment of passion.
He manipulates Bella into begging him kiss her even though he knows that she is going to suffer emotionally for her betrayal for Edward and in addition he believes that Edward is going to be harsh with her for it afterward. Edward also saw in his head that if she did not grant the kiss, Jacob would have forced it upon her anyways.
I think that Jacob shows a significant amount of selfishness that stands in stark contrast to Edward’s reactions at the end of the book.
The things is as you stated Edward knew what Jacob was up to, so that gave he the advantage. I do wonder if Edward hadn't been able to read Jacob's mind would he had reacted the same way. Where Edward truly shines is when he stays with Bella as falling apart over her feelings for Jacob. He asks her if she is making the right chose in choosing him over Jacob.


I'm usually a lot better but I just woke up.
Frustrated love has been the incentive for many great works.

Mara Jade Cullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by Mara Jade Cullen »

I think that Edward would have been able to deduce that Jacob had no intention of "going out in a blaze of glory" even without his special ability. He's been around long enough and watched enough human behavior to probably have known that. My husband is able to pick up on that stuff really well, so I would think that Edward could, too.
But the knowledge of Jacob's intentions to kiss her with or without consent definitely would have helped Edward to be more understanding.
Image
Team Edward

TeamCullenRocks
Settled in Forks
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by TeamCullenRocks »

Honestly, who doesn't like Edward?

Being the guy that I am, Edward isn't attractive to me like all of you girls out there, but I really admire the arrangement of his priorities.

His first priority is to make sure that his girl is happy. That's every guy's assignment when they get into a relationship: make her happy, no matter what.

Also, his family is very important to him. He is very respectful to all of them, and doesn't intrude on their personal lives (if he can help it--get it? He can read minds!).

Again, just another affable character. I see a theme occurring here...
"It makes me... anxious... to be away from you."
-Edward, Twilight, p. 188

Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!
Posts: 1432
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by Amethyst1 »

a guys opinion...for once.
You know, it's cool that you think great of Edward instead of the occasional "he puts me in a bad light", that i've heard anyways :lol:

lol, yeah, i get it. It must be an irresistible thing, getting into people's minds. I'd love to have that power. Ha ha, it must be an annoyance and a perk...his power, i mean, but still cool.

twilight813
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails
Posts: 763
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:47 pm
Location: NJ
Contact:

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by twilight813 »

teamcullenrocks i really love your output on Edward. I think its great that a guy can say that Edward is a good guy, putting his girl first and what not. Most guys cant agree with that only because they dont do that themselves. you obviously know how to treat a girl right :P

I have always thought Edward was a true gentleman.
Image
Avi by Shel
Sisterhood of the Traveling Book
GM of Wingtears Non Veggie Vamp Cafe Member of Wingtears High Council
Gen Y Thread is <3

Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!
Posts: 1432
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:38 pm

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by Amethyst1 »

hm...new topic? and i have no bloody clue what.

Edward is a gentleman. I like that part of him (well every part of him if i am being logical)...um, I don't think there's a part of him that I do not like. He's a very sweet person and romantic and funny (well, at least I get his humor--very very funny man, that i noticed anyways. hahahaha)

I've been meaning to ask. Can someone define the term "tragic flaw" for me? i know what the word tragic means and i know what flaw means, but together i am stumped. Thanks.

holdingoutforjacob
Part of Carlisle's Clan
Posts: 2169
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm
Location: Where the wild things are...

Re: Edward Cullen #3

Post by holdingoutforjacob »

ha we learned about this in english when we did greek tragedies.

all good characters have flaws. that's what rounds them out. but then sometimes you have your characters that don't have a multitude of smallish flaws mixed in with a multitude of good qualities (jacob), you have a character that has one huge flaw that can be his undoing. all his mistakes trace back to this flaw (edward). edward's tragic flaw is his overreaction.

in greek literature and in literature today there's something called a tragic hero, which is a character who would be a GREAT hero but he has one fatal flaw that is his downfall.
Image

death cannot stop true love, it can only delay it for a while...

Locked